Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4152923 times)

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #63520 on: July 13, 2020, 04:25:01 pm »
Low key fight cards have been going on for a couple of weeks now mate. High profile cards will be up and running soon.  Eddie Hearn is hosting one in his back garden soon.  ;D

Can't wait for them.  Going to look like a punch up at a BBQ.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63521 on: July 13, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »
 ;D

Eddie's missus will draw the curtains at some of the fights he got lined up.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63522 on: July 13, 2020, 04:35:52 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't be putting Sam Eggington in my first main event if I were him!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63523 on: July 13, 2020, 06:05:49 pm »
Lads, UFC might have Fight Island but Boxing has has Rumble in the Car Park in Dusseldorf.  ;D

That looks great to be fair. Would definitely go to one of those  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63524 on: July 13, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »
That looks great to be fair. Would definitely go to one of those  :D

Just make sure not to leave your interior light on or wind the window down mate, might get more than you bargained for ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63525 on: July 13, 2020, 06:36:11 pm »
That was also a dogging site mate.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63526 on: July 15, 2020, 02:36:51 pm »
Great read from Gene Kilroy (Ali's cornerman) as he looks back on "Thriller in Manila".  He was talking to Buncey and Costello on their 5live podcast show.

Muhammad Ali v Joe Frazier brought heat, hate and hard soul searching.

https://bbc.in/2Wo45C7

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63527 on: July 15, 2020, 04:24:14 pm »
Great read from Gene Kilroy (Ali's cornerman) as he looks back on "Thriller in Manila".  He was talking to Buncey and Costello on their 5live podcast show.

Muhammad Ali v Joe Frazier brought heat, hate and hard soul searching.

https://bbc.in/2Wo45C7

Good that.  Sure I read somewhere that Ali wasn't going to go back out in the 15th.  If Frazier's corner didn't pull him out he'd have won.

On a tangent, I saw Frazier at an autograph signing in Vegas not long before he died.  There was no one there, it was mad.  Imagine what the queue would have been like for something like that with Ali!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63528 on: July 15, 2020, 04:30:59 pm »
 :(

Sad to hear that mate. The man was an Undisputed Heavyweight Champion and  definitely a top 10 heavy and maybe even top 5.  He'd have fuckin' cleaned up the division with a cigar in his mouth had he fought over the last 15 years of Heavyweight boxing.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63529 on: July 15, 2020, 04:43:29 pm »
Yeah you could drop him into any era and he'd still be a champ.

I don't think he was ever broke or washed up or anything, just struck me as odd the place wasn't packed out.  I suppose Vegas is a weird place like that sometimes.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63530 on: July 16, 2020, 12:14:00 pm »
Just seen a Sky promo for the Whyte v Povetkin fight that's trying to make out Povetkin is like the second coming of Ivan Drago.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63531 on: July 16, 2020, 12:26:47 pm »
Eddie Hearn has announced he will be putting up a boxing ring in the middle of a street for his US return next month.
On August 15, the British promoter is planning to resume his American operation in Tulsa, Oklahoma with a twist.

A press release explained: “The hotly anticipated return for Eddie Hearn’s US arm will see downtown Tulsa streets blocked off from 4th and 6th at the intersection of S. Boston Ave.

“No fans present, strict social distancing and medical protocols in place, and a ring placed in the middle of the street at 5th and S. Boston Ave to set a stunning stage for what promises to be an explosive night of action.”

Hearn previously confirmed plans to stage bouts in the Matchroom HQ back garden in the UK, starting from August 1.

He is now attempting to be just as creative Stateside.Hearn said: “We are taking elite World Championship boxing to the streets in Tulsa!

“For our return in the US we wanted to stage something as unique, ambitious and spectacular as we have with Fight Camp at Matchroom HQ in the UK, and I believe that’s exactly what we have in Oklahoma.

“We had so many options and offers on the table for our return on August 15 from coast-to-coast, but I’m just not a believer in boxing in a studio setting – the fighters and the sport deserve more than that.

“Tulsa shared our vision of wanting to create something special and I am thrilled to be working with the Mayor’s office, Joe Miller at the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission and Tony and Bryce Holden on bringing a thrilling fight night to the city.”

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63532 on: July 16, 2020, 01:23:14 pm »
So after the punch up at the BBQ Eddie is going to stage a fight outside a kebab shop?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63533 on: July 16, 2020, 01:24:32 pm »
 ;D

That's my territory is he's heading into now the fucking dingbat.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63534 on: July 16, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
;D

That's my territory is he's heading into now the fucking dingbat.  ;D

Haha good, you've been holding that Maltese title hostage for years!

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #63535 on: July 16, 2020, 05:06:57 pm »
Good that.  Sure I read somewhere that Ali wasn't going to go back out in the 15th.  If Frazier's corner didn't pull him out he'd have won.

On a tangent, I saw Frazier at an autograph signing in Vegas not long before he died.  There was no one there, it was mad.  Imagine what the queue would have been like for something like that with Ali!
That is sad. Imagine what he would do to the likes of Wilder. Potential manslaughter charge after that fight.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #63536 on: July 17, 2020, 10:08:50 am »
Probably been mentioned before but there’s a Roberto Duran doc on the new Sky Documentaries channel which is pretty good - I Am Duran. Not anything particularly ground breaking or revealing but some good footage of his fights and interviews with Leonard, Hagler etc

Worth a watch if you haven’t seen it
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Binomial AKA TheAllMy-TyR

• Kemlynite
  • In a world where you can be anything, be kind.
« Reply #63537 on: July 17, 2020, 07:54:26 pm »
Just seen a Sky promo for the Whyte v Povetkin fight that's trying to make out Povetkin is like the second coming of Ivan Drago.  ;D

THey're only doing what they got to do to attract more buyers, Remember Haye Valuev....David v Goliath etc.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #63538 on: July 19, 2020, 03:06:08 pm »
Scott Harrison won his comeback last night. Was a top fighter in his day so be interesting to see how far he can go at 42.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63539 on: July 19, 2020, 03:09:10 pm »
Wasn't aware of that mate. What weight is he now? Light Heavyweight?  ;D

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #63540 on: July 19, 2020, 03:41:04 pm »
Wasn't aware of that mate. What weight is he now? Light Heavyweight?  ;D

You're getting him mixed up with Naz  ;D . Lightweight I think, looks in good shape anyway

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63541 on: July 21, 2020, 09:46:35 pm »
 :D

Anyway lads, rumour going around Canelo's camp have offered Callum Smith $5m to fight him this year.  I say take it and batter the ginger dickhead.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63542 on: July 21, 2020, 11:12:56 pm »

Anyway lads, rumour going around Canelo's camp have offered Callum Smith $5m to fight him this year.  I say take it and batter the ginger dickhead.  ;D

Thought Callum was retired mate to be honest.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63543 on: July 21, 2020, 11:24:45 pm »
 ;D

He was doing an "Amir Khan" mate. Just waiting for the big money when he should've been cleaning up a solid but not spectacular Super Middleweight division.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63544 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:30 am »
;D

He was doing an "Amir Khan" mate. Just waiting for the big money when he should've been cleaning up a solid but not spectacular Super Middleweight division.

Why'd you have to go and mention he who shall not be named?

Fordy's out there somewhere like:

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63545 on: July 22, 2020, 08:48:55 am »

IF (and it is a big if) that's true, it is a no-brainer for Smith surely? Perhaps he thinks he should earn more but it gives him a pathway to super stardom if he wins. He has an excellent chance too as I feel his size and style are all wrong for Canelo. You're not fighting Rocky Fielding now ginger balls.  :wanker

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63546 on: July 22, 2020, 08:51:24 am »
Canelo would crush Smith no problem. Look at Canelo's CV his beaten a who's who of fighters I remember when he fought Triple G many people were saying he would lose to him but he handled that hype job with ease.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63547 on: July 22, 2020, 09:13:56 am »
Canelo would crush Smith no problem. Look at Canelo's CV his beaten a who's who of fighters I remember when he fought Triple G many people were saying he would lose to him but he handled that hype job with ease.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

By 'handled' you mean a couple of fortunate decisions. Canelo is a talented fighter no doubt, but also a cherry picking diva. He decides to fight Rocky Fielding to pick up a handy world title, then takes on a past his best Kovalev at 175.

If you think he will 'crush' Smith, a man who has the style and dimensions to give him hell, I don't know what to tell you. He didn't exactly crush Daniel Jacobs did he? Also, he has fought Fielding, Khan, Chavez Junior and Liam Smith in his last eight fights.

Callum Smith is the classic example of a man who fights to his opponent's level. Looks half-arsed against moderate opposition but shows his real skills against the better fighters.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:16:15 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63548 on: July 22, 2020, 09:14:11 am »

GGG a hype job? Come on mate, only Fordy can get away with such outlandish remarks round here  :D

GGG is 2-0 in alot of peoples' eyes. (I have it 1-1). They were both tremendous fights and I will be happy to pay for a 3rd

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63549 on: July 22, 2020, 09:59:59 am »
Yup, GGG beat him twice for me.  There were plenty on here who thought he lost to Lara as well.

Mind you, Callum probably lost to John Ryder and his best win is Rocky fielding, so it's all relative.  I think Callum gives him problems just because of his size and reach especially.  But he won't knock him out and he'll need to murder him to get the decision so Canelo would probably win.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63550 on: July 22, 2020, 10:56:32 am »
Money is not likely to be an issue for Callum as he will be on a career high payday for taking on Canelo.

The problem will be the clauses in the contract the ginger one likes to put in no rehydration clauses which weakens Callum and he also I believe did this to Rocky Fielding.

Canelo is good no doubt and has a good chin but when he holds all the aces he will take away the advantage of others when he can and imo it is wrong if you want to fight at Super Middle / Light Heavy you fight at the normal weights 168/175ibs

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63551 on: July 22, 2020, 12:10:35 pm »

Please, we only allow one Fordy into this thread to make shite comments, we don't want another one.  :wave

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63552 on: July 22, 2020, 12:38:12 pm »
Look people hate on him because he's the golden boy and they can't stand his success. For me he's one of the greatest boxers I've ever seen and he's only loss is against the greatest boxer I've ever seen.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63553 on: July 22, 2020, 12:41:43 pm »
The reaction isn't because of that,the reaction is because you called Gennedy Golovkin a "Hype job".  ;D

He lost twice to Golovkin in many peoples eyes including mine. While the second fight was closer, Golovkin was clear winner to many in their first fight.  He's also a drug cheat.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63554 on: July 22, 2020, 01:20:19 pm »
Look people hate on him because he's the golden boy and they can't stand his success. For me he's one of the greatest boxers I've ever seen and he's only loss is against the greatest boxer I've ever seen.

'Handled that hype job with ease'.  To be fair, this kind of thing is what talking about boxing on the Internet is like most of the time, but we try and keep this thread free of nonsense like that.  Unless it's Fordy.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #63555 on: July 22, 2020, 01:29:42 pm »
At least Fordy provides some comedy!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63556 on: July 22, 2020, 02:23:04 pm »
Got to go down as one of the worst posts on this thread. GGG is anything but a hype job. He's slowed down a bit in the last 2 years but the first fight he clearly won. Second fight Canelo pushed forward a lot more but GGG still edged that one. Plus the whole meat scandal with Canelo and his questionable performance vs Lara, of course there's going to be doubt against him. He has a long way to go before he can be called a great.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #63557 on: July 22, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »
Even Fordy doesn't spout as much nonsense as GGG being a hype job  ;D

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #63558 on: July 22, 2020, 02:55:34 pm »
Got to go down as one of the worst posts on this thread. GGG is anything but a hype job. He's slowed down a bit in the last 2 years but the first fight he clearly won. Second fight Canelo pushed forward a lot more but GGG still edged that one. Plus the whole meat scandal with Canelo and his questionable performance vs Lara, of course there's going to be doubt against him. He has a long way to go before he can be called a great.

He is definitely a modern ATG for me

Just had a scoot at Boxrec to refresh my memory...

4 weight world champion, current P4P #1, biggest deal in sports history at the time of signing it

56 fights, 53 wins, 2 draws and the only ever recorded loss was to Floyd!

World titles held (current): Unified WBA (Super), WBC (Franchise) Ring magazine and lineal middleweight champion and WBA (Regular) super middleweight champion

World titles held (past): WBA (Unified), WBC, WBO and Ring junior middleweight champion, IBF middleweight title, WBO light heavyweight titleholder 

Look at some of the names on his resume, some of which are also going to be future HOF'ers. He beat Sugar Shane as a young pup 8 years ago, even Kermit Cintron was a beast back then! He certainly doesn't have a lot left to prove IMO

Canelo Alvarez def. Sergey Kovalev by 11th-round KO   Nov. 2, 2019
Canelo Alvarez def. Daniel Jacobs by unanimous decision   May 4, 2019
Canelo Alvarez def. Rocky Fielding by third-round TKO   Dec. 15, 2018
Canelo Alvarez def. Gennadiy Golovkin by majority decision   Sept. 15, 2018
Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin, split draw   Sept. 16, 2017
Canelo Alvarez def. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. by unanimous decision   May 6, 2017
Canelo Alvarez def. Liam Smith by ninth-round KO   Sept. 17, 2016
Canelo Alvarez def. Amir Khan by sixth-round KO   May 7, 2016
Canelo Alvarez def. Miguel Cotto by unanimous decision   Nov. 21, 2015
Canelo Alvarez def. James Kirkland by third-round KO   May 9, 2015
Canelo Alvarez def. Erislandy Lara by split decision   July 12, 2014
Canelo Alvarez def. Alfredo Angulo by 10th-round TKO   March 8, 2014
Floyd Mayweather def. Canelo Alvarez by majority decision   Sept. 14, 2013
Canelo Alvarez def. Austin Trout by unanimous decision   April 20, 2013
Canelo Alvarez def. Josesito Lopez by fifth-round TKO   Sept. 15, 2012
Canelo Alvarez def. Shane Mosley by unanimous decision   May 5, 2012
Canelo Alvarez def. Kermit Cintron by fifth-round TKO   Nov. 26, 2011
Canelo Alvarez def. Alfonso Gomez by sixth-round TKO   Sept. 17, 2011
Canelo Alvarez def. Ryan Rhodes by 12th-round TKO   June 18, 2011
Canelo Alvarez def. Matthew Hatton by unanimous decision   March 5, 2011
Canelo Alvarez def. Lovemore N'dou by unanimous decision   Dec. 4, 2010
Canelo Alvarez def. Carlos Baldomir by sixth-round KO   Sept. 18, 2010

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63559 on: July 22, 2020, 03:07:32 pm »
He's a 4 weight world champion and he's fought the best of the best in each of those 4 divisions.  Definite modern great and hall of famer.  Couple of things work against him though; the tainted meat, the lack of a convincing win against GGG, and the fact that if Andre Ward would have tied him in knots if he hadn't retired ;D