Author Topic: Terrorism in the UK - The Wider Context  (Read 97311 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Terrorism in the UK - The Wider Context
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2017, 06:07:56 pm »
This is the split topic for discussing the wider context of the Manchester attack and other recent terrorist attacks in the UK.

Please try to keep it to the point. There are so many straw men in the three pages of posts I split off it's untrue.

If you're saying something that's been said over and over again before ask yourself if there's any need to say it again or whether there's something new to say.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2017, 06:21:53 pm »
Part of the beginning of the solution is to not publicise the infamous but banish them to the anonymity from whence they came.
Kill the humourless

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2017, 06:27:38 pm »
There is no liberty if we are living in fear, I have to say I dont feel much safe anymore. In my personal opinion, one child's life is more important than all you stated above.

Restrictions would just drive it all deeper underground.  The intelligence services will be using the freedom of the web to their advantage. 

Feeling safe is a choice to a degree.  You're never really safe and there's far more other dangers that are more likely to kill you.
http://www.oxfamblogs.org/fp2p/?p=13838

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:30:37 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2017, 06:31:59 pm »
I saw a tweet earlier suggesting that stricter surveillance and security measures, including the jailing of thousands of suspects, would simply be giving the terrorists what they wanted - equating it to the failure of the British in employing a similar policy in Ireland to combat the IRA. It begs the question to me, as someone who was born after the troubles, how comparable are both of these generations of violence?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
These Islamist wankers love a soft target. Their own stupid puritanical ideas also lead them to concert halls, discos, sports arenas, beaches and bars. They hate everything an ordinary person loves. And they hate the fact that humanity seeks out pleasure and enjoyment. These barbarians should read more. And by that I don't mean read the same book over and over again.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2017, 06:46:33 pm »

I’m a risk analyst. That’s my job. I use numbers to understand what we ought to be afraid of, and how afraid we should be. So here are some numbers:

In France, in the last two years, there have been eight attacks, killing a total of 247 people. There are 66 million people in France. At the current level of activity, their odds of being killed in a terrorist attack in a given year are less than two ten-thousandths of one per cent. That’s 27 times lower than their odds of dying in a car accident.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nice-attack-do-you-feel-like-youre-more-likely-than-ever-to-be-hit-by-a-terror-attack-this-is-why-a7140396.html

Just a bit of perspective, based on the last two years in France the odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are less than two ten-thousands of one per cent.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 06:54:28 pm »
I saw a tweet earlier suggesting that stricter surveillance and security measures, including the jailing of thousands of suspects, would simply be giving the terrorists what they wanted - equating it to the failure of the British in employing a similar policy in Ireland to combat the IRA. It begs the question to me, as someone who was born after the troubles, how comparable are both of these generations of violence?

It's an ignorant tweet mate. We should be wary of overreacting and sacrificing our freedoms in a desperate search for total security. BUT......

The Islamists couldn't care less about whether we do this or not. They have a much bigger agenda. We are not playing into their hands by increasing surveillance. In fact we are helping to neutralise them. Evidently great strides have been made by the police since 2005. We arrest, on average, one potential Islamist terrorist a day. We're safer because of it.

Also, the IRA is not the same thing as Islamic State, but we should remember they were BEATEN in the end. They were beaten by superb intelligence and the systematic penetration of their organisation - to the point where the IRA top brass could no longer meet for fear that half of them were British agents.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 07:02:09 pm »
This seemed a planned attack of far more sophistication than many others. Where did the attacker go over the past few years and is that consistent with other similar attacks?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:28 pm »
Can I recommend the programme ISIS:The origins of violence by the marvelous Tom Holland.

It was on C4 on Wednesday night, an outstanding study of the roots of this issue.

Link is here if you want to watch it, I strongly suggest you do.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/isis-the-origins-of-violence
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 07:52:03 pm »
This seemed a planned attack of far more sophistication than many others. Where did the attacker go over the past few years and is that consistent with other similar attacks?
A picture has come out with a book he had in his house called know your chemicals. Frightening.

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:35 pm »
Can I recommend the programme ISIS:The origins of violence by the marvelous Tom Holland.

It was on C4 on Wednesday night, an outstanding study of the roots of this issue.

Link is here if you want to watch it, I strongly suggest you do.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/isis-the-origins-of-violence

I read an article a week ago which probably sums this up. There are some fantastic quotes in there. I agree this guy knows his stuff.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/interview-historian-tom-holland-on-isis-receiving-death-threats-and-why-there-is-a-civil-war-in-the-a3541236.html

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2017, 08:29:08 pm »
I read an article a week ago which probably sums this up. There are some fantastic quotes in there. I agree this guy knows his stuff.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/interview-historian-tom-holland-on-isis-receiving-death-threats-and-why-there-is-a-civil-war-in-the-a3541236.html
Yes, it is excellent.

This paragraph sums up the whole argument..

So how Islamic is Islamic State? “Pretty Islamic, to the degree that they consider themselves to be Islamic,” he replies. “The mistake people make is to replicate Isis’s position, which is that there’s one, true form of Islam and anyone who deviates from that isn’t a Muslim. That’s Isis’s justification for killing Shia. Ironically, when Western leaders say ‘it’s nothing to do with Islam’, they’re doing the same. I don’t think it’s the business — particularly of non-Muslims — to specify what a Muslim is. If people say they’re Muslim, they’re Muslim.”
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »
They certainly have a lot in common in terms of callous disregard for human life. The IRA were also happy to murder children if it suited their ends. However, as has been pointed out above the IRA were comprehensively beaten because their organisation was able to be penetrated. These lone wolf type attacks are not the product of a structure so it's very difficult to stop them in the same way as the IRA. Also, they don't seem to have a political objective. There's nothing they can be offered in return for stopping killing.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:44 pm »
The threat level has just been raised to the highest level.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:17 pm »
The threat level has just been raised to the highest level.

So they think an attack is imminent ? I just hope that this isn't just the start of it but they clearly know something we don't yet.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:57 pm »
What is clear is that he didnt work alone.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2017, 09:57:02 pm »
So they think an attack is imminent ? I just hope that this isn't just the start of it but they clearly know something we don't yet.

Yes because they think this attacker could be part of a group. Will be army presence at key points, sites and events.

Offline Jonny-B

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:42 pm »
What is clear is that he didnt work alone.

Pretty much. If they think he's not the bomb maker then you can see why they'd raise it.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »
I am flying out to the states on the 8th June from Terminal 5. I know its an irrational fear but this has done nothing to calm my nerves :)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:39 pm »
I am flying out to the states on the 8th June from Terminal 5. I know its an irrational fear but this has done nothing to calm my nerves :)
You're probably safer than you were last week.

Everything gets searched, nothing illicit gets on... that's why they haven't bothered with planes, they're too difficult.
W

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:32 pm »
Obviously got some intelligence on an imminent attack.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2017, 10:10:24 pm »

Id feel better if I was flying out.

Ill be at Wembley on Saturday, not feeling good about it at all, especially the leaving the stadium part.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2017, 10:11:07 pm »
There may be some specific intelligence.

The cynic in me notes that this might be portrayed as strong and stable leadership.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2017, 10:15:04 pm »

The cynic in me notes that this might be portrayed as strong and stable leadership.

I am a true cynic but not quite as cynical as that ! I suspect other posters are right. He wasn't working alone and they are not sure how many and exactly who. No doubt they are working night and day to find the bastards

On a wider point I just hope that people feel able to carry on their lives as normal. Restrictions and protection doesn't mean the terrorists win. It is understandable that people feel more aware and perhaps nervous.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2017, 10:17:25 pm »
You're probably safer than you were last week.

Everything gets searched, nothing illicit gets on... that's why they haven't bothered with planes, they're too difficult.

Indeed. They had to call the election on that day though didnt they.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2017, 10:18:08 pm »

I'm not convinced now is the time for that.  Party loyalties are an aside at this time.
W

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »

It's the conspiracist in you talking because political parties don't have the power to set the terrorist threat level. That's done by MI5 and the JTAC.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:05 pm »
I was going to ask if the level had been at Critical before bur apparently it was, think back in 2006. I remember flying the day they announced the immediate ban on liquids on planes.  It was also around the time or the attempted attack on Glasgow Airport I think. Maybe just because I was younger,  probably because I didn't have kids but I think I was a lot more blasé about things back then.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »

Don't go there mate. If you get into the mindset where you think the Tories would murder an eight year old girl and twenty-one other young people to win an election you're on a slippery slope. The internet is full of stupid c*nts posting 'false flag' after every terrorist attack and this one is no different.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2017, 10:22:43 pm »
Working in public sector and heading to three different government buildings tomorrow makes one slightly uncomfortable.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:33 pm »

The decision is suggested by Mi5 isnt it? Even if such a thing happened, it would be a risky game that would come out eventually.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2017, 10:24:18 pm »
I am a true cynic but not quite as cynical as that ! I suspect other posters are right. He wasn't working alone and they are not sure how many and exactly who. No doubt they are working night and day to find the bastards

On a wider point I just hope that people feel able to carry on their lives as normal. Restrictions and protection doesn't mean the terrorists win. It is understandable that people feel more aware and perhaps nervous.
Well the reporter talking to GMP went on to say that they have have told him there is no specific evidence, but 'can not rule out' that there is a wider network which may be planning attacks.

Which really, is 'as we were', isn't it? That's what the 'severe' threat level already covers.

We as a society respond to terrorist events with the line 'not let it affect our way of life'. We're now going to have the final two weeks of an election campaign with soldiers on street corners, while elements of the press combine their usual analysis of the threat of Islamist violence with their support for a strong and stable leader; her opponent praising the unity of response and the emergency services, while already being portrayed as soft on terrorism and immigration.

That's an unprecedented context in which to undergo an election campaign, and we have certainly let this attack change how we go about things.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »
Working in public sector and heading to three different government buildings tomorrow makes one slightly uncomfortable.

i wouldn't worry mate. My meetings today were at three of the most iconic public buildings in London and I traveled between each one on public transport. Life goes on.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2017, 10:28:42 pm »

Naturally so. Although I fully agree with the sentiment, I find it quite frustrating when people come out with "just get on with it, otherwise the terrorists win." Of course terrorists want us to change our way of life and be terrified - they know it works. How could you not hear these stories and see these images and be totally unaffected?

If you're scared for your wellbeing, don't let anyone convince you you're somehow aiding and abetting these scumbags. Anyone totally unaffected is being blasé I would argue.

I must say, I'll feel a slight sense of trepidation going into Anfield next season. Sporting events are such great targets because they're so open - people going the game or to a marathon or whatever it is do so in the belief everyone else is there for the same things. For fun. For experienced. For memories. Not carnage and heartache.

Of course, I know I'm more likely to die slipping in the shower or crossing the road. It's an irrational fear to have is terrorism if statistics are what you live your life by - but most of us don't live our lives by statistics. And that's why attacks of this nature are so effective.

Terrorism works. Of course it works. I don't believe "they" will ever win but they've succeeded in changing our way of life before and they will continue to do so in a multitude of ways. That's the sad reality.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:30:27 pm by TravisBickle »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2017, 10:28:46 pm »
Don't go there mate. If you get into the mindset where you think the Tories would murder an eight year old girl and twenty-one other young people to win an election you're on a slippery slope. The internet is full of stupid c*nts posting 'false flag' after every terrorist attack and this one is no different.
Let me be VERY clear: I do not for a second regard the attack as a 'false flag'.

It's a very different matter though to react in a way that reinforces one's view of the world. I'm not infact even saying that it's a deliberate taking advantage of the situation. This is, I suppose, exactly how a strong, stable, risk-averse leadership would react.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
i wouldn't worry mate. My meetings today were at three of the most iconic public buildings in London and I traveled between each one on public transport. Life goes on.

Yeah I know it's not going to work thinking about it. Life goes on, and you need to continue with work, life...

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2017, 10:29:39 pm »

Spot on. Plus, these idiots probably don't know what the public sector. And the cowards prefer children and other softer targets

Well the reporter talking to GMP went on to say that they have have told him there is no specific evidence, but 'can not rule out' that there is a wider network which may be planning attacks.

Which really, is 'as we were', isn't it? That's what the 'severe' threat level already covers.

Don't forget the GMP don't set it though, hence their lack of specifics.

Granted these things can affect elections, such as in Madrid, but I don't see things changing as a result of this. It's the second major attack in a couple of months

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2017, 10:30:22 pm »

We as a society respond to terrorist events with the line 'not let it affect our way of life'. We're now going to have the final two weeks of an election campaign with soldiers on street corners, while elements of the press combine their usual analysis of the threat of Islamist violence with their support for a strong and stable leader; her opponent praising the unity of response and the emergency services, while already being portrayed as soft on terrorism and immigration.

That's an unprecedented context in which to undergo an election campaign, and we have certainly let this attack change how we go about things.

22 people died last night mate. There's a chance he didn't make his own bomb in which case there is a bomb maker and other suicide attacks likely.

Until they can prove he made his own bomb they have to assume that another attack could happen at any time. It would be reckless and criminally negligent to assume anything else.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:24 pm »
Last few times it has gone up it got downgraded a few days later

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:50 pm »

Don't forget the GMP don't set it though, hence their lack of specifics.

Indeed, but they are conducting the investigation (along with anti-terrorism) and the comment was on the level of evidence, rather than who sets the threat level.