Author Topic: Chapecoense plane crash  (Read 17322 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: Chapecoense plane crash
« Reply #160 on: December 1, 2016, 01:46:45 am »
RIP to all the deceased. For a year that resulted in societies turning their back on integration and togetherness it has been heartening to read and see some of the responses to this tragedy. The solidarity shown by some clubs/organizations is truly amazing. In what is obviously a depressing time for all involved it is nice to see that a feeling of togetherness transcends clubs/organisations personal ambitions. Really touching. Once again RIP to all involved.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #161 on: December 1, 2016, 03:12:40 am »
Fans at the Club Atlético Nacional stadium in Medellin, Colombia tonight where Chapecoense were due to play :

https://twitter.com/futbol_transfer/status/804145450492239872

https://twitter.com/Ays__77/status/804143474543050753

https://twitter.com/zaindepressiva/status/804120756678443011

Colombian press reporting more than 100,000 people there to pay their respects to the Brazilian side and those that tragically lost their lives.

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #162 on: December 1, 2016, 03:56:40 am »
FOX Sports Brazil is showing this right now.

Should've been the Copa Sudamericana Final. Instead, just 90 minutes of silence - to honor and remember the victims. It's a very lovely gesture.
Good gesture that.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #163 on: December 1, 2016, 07:05:37 am »
Finding it tough to read through this thread; feel like crying to be honest. That picture of the devastated young kid sitting on the steps really got to me for some reason.

RIP  :(

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 1, 2016, 11:39:17 am »
Such an awful tragedy.

Readling through the account of the crash this morning, can't believe a situation like that was allowed to develop.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 1, 2016, 11:59:30 am »
From the BBC.
What a fuck up, if true. Sounds like it was entirely preventable.

Brazil's O Globo reported that because of a delayed departure, a refuelling stop in Cobija, on the border between Brazil and Bolivia, was abandoned because the airport did not operate at night.
The pilot had the option to refuel in Bogota, but headed straight to Medellin.
"The pilot was the one who took the decision," Gustavo Vargas, a representative of Lamia, which operated the plane, was quoted as saying in Bolivian newspaper Pagina Siete. "He thought the fuel would last."
Approaching Medellin, the pilot asked for permission to land because of fuel problems, without making a formal distress call.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #166 on: December 1, 2016, 12:44:43 pm »
This has got some of the conversation between the pilot and air traffic control. So sad and seemingly preventable. :(

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/chapecoense-plane-crash-final-words-of-pilot_uk_583feb72e4b00b318b0eff74?ncid=fcbklnkukhpmg00000001
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #167 on: December 1, 2016, 01:02:09 pm »
Finding it tough to read through this thread; feel like crying to be honest. That picture of the devastated young kid sitting on the steps really got to me for some reason.

RIP  :(
Nothing wrong with it mate, it's hit me hard quite a few times since I first find out about it (quite abruptly, while I was just clicking about on here; I hadn't watched any news that morning).

Mainly it's the response of other clubs and fans, which I've just found really touching. Sometimes 'the football family' isn't just a hollow go-to phrase for two-faced political careerists, sometimes it's immensely meaningful and full of real love and human substance. It's stuff like that, little acts of modest communal emotional heroism which defy the sheer cynicism of this world; that appeals to me somewhere deeply inside, and sort of flushes out some of the more hardened and jaded parts of me.

It was South America that really took football to that next level of cultural meaningfulness. It of course has meant a lot to us working class Britons for a very long time, we formulated this game and exported it to the entire world - arguably for free - but when it got its hook into that continent, it really started to come together. Home to most of the greatest-ever footballers, to a genuinely intense passion for the game, to a beautifully expressive and creative, balletic approach to the game - in a way, we both created this thing called footy together, and it's an important link Britain will always have with them. I think football actually has several spiritual homes, and Brazil is probably the main one.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 2, 2016, 12:06:16 am »
People dieing in such a way is always tragic, but to think it may not have even been an accident, that so many lives were wasted due to a possible decision simply not to re-fuel is heartbreaking. Truly heartbreaking :(

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #169 on: December 2, 2016, 12:20:18 am »
Fans at the Club Atlético Nacional stadium in Medellin, Colombia tonight where Chapecoense were due to play :

https://twitter.com/futbol_transfer/status/804145450492239872

https://twitter.com/Ays__77/status/804143474543050753

https://twitter.com/zaindepressiva/status/804120756678443011

Colombian press reporting more than 100,000 people there to pay their respects to the Brazilian side and those that tragically lost their lives.

Beautiful tribute - thanks for posting them and the info mate.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #170 on: December 2, 2016, 12:27:56 am »
Sometimes...

Sometimes it's hard to find the right words to say.
Sometimes it's hard not to cry at what I saw today.
A tragedy in the skies,sadly not the first of its kind.
71 victims taken, all the broken hearts left behind.

Footballers chasing a dream, a dream we all share.
To raise the Cup in our colours, at victory to stare.
Why do these things happen,impossible to explain?
Everyone feels this loss at every level of the game.

Because it's times like this when tears run and run.
That fellow fans will pledge that for years to come.
Will never forget this tragedy or every life cut short.
For now we say a prayer and offer our every thought.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 2, 2016, 02:28:46 pm »
I know this isn't in the right sort of news but thought this is a great touch.

Juan Roman Riquelme and Ronaldinho have reportedly offered to play for Chapecoense.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 2, 2016, 02:50:09 pm »
I know this isn't in the right sort of news but thought this is a great touch.

isnt that another fake news story like with all the donations?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 2, 2016, 03:11:10 pm »
Those pictures are heartbreaking.

Hard to come up with words that don't sound like clichés and soundbites.  Not easy to describe feelings at a time like this either.  Will just say my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families at this painful time.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #174 on: December 3, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »
Unbelivable tragedy. Seeing the photos in here as well.. Absolutely awful.

YNWA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #175 on: December 4, 2016, 02:06:28 pm »
Ronaldinho has come out of retirement to sign for Chapecoense and will play for free

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #176 on: December 4, 2016, 03:16:34 pm »
Quite a gesture that..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 6, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »
People dieing in such a way is always tragic, but to think it may not have even been an accident, that so many lives were wasted due to a possible decision simply not to re-fuel is heartbreaking. Truly heartbreaking :(

To refuel...Why isn't it carrying sufficient reserves for the necessary holding patterns?

Tempted to say find out who did they pay off in the aviation department to ignore their flouting of safety protocols and you'll find your murderer but best to wait for the full investigation's report. I suppose.

Edit: how did it even get approved for takeoff once they knew due to the delay the refueling stop was not possible and the pilot wanted to go direct.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/12/fuel-folly
« Last Edit: December 6, 2016, 02:46:44 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #178 on: December 6, 2016, 04:09:24 pm »
To refuel...Why isn't it carrying sufficient reserves for the necessary holding patterns?

Tempted to say find out who did they pay off in the aviation department to ignore their flouting of safety protocols and you'll find your murderer but best to wait for the full investigation's report. I suppose.

Edit: how did it even get approved for takeoff once they knew due to the delay the refueling stop was not possible and the pilot wanted to go direct.

A Brazil-based journalist on second captains podcast talked about this last week. The plane was already beyond its reserve fuel limit (he had a calculation of 3 hrs + 30mins reserves + 5% etc  or whatever it was). 4 hours was the max max limit, and the actual flight plan was over 4hrs 30 mins.
But the pilot never called an emergency to ATC, or made a mayday signal. The reason speculated on was that the pilot was also the owner of the airline, and any emergency call would trigger a legal investigation.  An investigation would probably have uncovered the excessive flight time and probably grounded the airline and/or jail time.  He called it a suicide journey.

https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com/jose-unearths-mkhitaryan-klopps-kids-chapocoense-tragedy
From 30 mins
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 6, 2016, 06:23:16 pm »

also didn't he say they were departing from an airport several hundred miles north of Santa Cruz?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #180 on: December 8, 2016, 12:00:33 pm »
CEO of Chapecoense airline arrested last night.

It is appearing increasingly likely that the plane crash in Colombia that killed 71 of its 77 passengers, including most of the Brazilian soccer team Chapecoense, happened because of an act of negligence. Supporting this growing realization is the fact that the CEO of the airline was arrested last night.

The LaMia airline company that owned and operated the plane that crashed a few miles outside its destination of Medellín about a week ago has been under investigation in Bolivia, where the company is domiciled, to determine whether the airline’s possible contributions to the crash may have been criminal. Bolivian authorities arrested a few LaMia employees yesterday, including CEO Gustavo Vargas, and interviewed them for up to eight hours about whether the airline followed proper safety procedures. As the attorney general later put it, “It could easily turn into a manslaughter case.”

Initially, the crash was suspected to have been the fault of an electrical failure, though one of the survivors—a flight attendant—did claim that the plane had run out of fuel. Further investigation has indicated that the fuel problem was probably ultimately responsible for the disaster, which raises questions about the pilot’s and the airline’s negligence.

The pilot himself, in a leaked audio recording of his final conversations with the air traffic controller as he tried to get authorization for an emergency landing, cited a fuel problem as the reason for his requested priority landing. The recording, in which the pilot grows increasingly frantic (though the question then arises: why didn’t he make clear the dire nature of his flight earlier?), is harrowing:

The most pressing question in determining who if anyone was at fault here is why the plane ran out of fuel in the first place. And as the evidence piles up, it’s looking likely that fault for for that lies with the airline.

More in Deadspin
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 8, 2016, 01:40:33 pm »
Also why was CONMEBOL recomending this airline to it's members?

The Argentina national team used it just a couple of weeks before, as had other clubs in the region.

Strict regulations only permit operators to operate into or out of an airport of the operator's country, which is why this flight left from Bolivia.

Small one plane airline, which would be hampered by regulations outside of it's own country, flying teams from all over South America on the recommendation of CONMEBOL? Raises a few more questions!

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 8, 2016, 01:51:48 pm »
Also why was CONMEBOL recomending this airline to it's members?

The Argentina national team used it just a couple of weeks before, as had other clubs in the region.

Strict regulations only permit operators to operate into or out of an airport of the operator's country, which is why this flight left from Bolivia.

Small one plane airline, which would be hampered by regulations outside of it's own country, flying teams from all over South America on the recommendation of CONMEBOL? Raises a few more questions!
they never had any other incidents did they?

Then again knowing conmebol were probably getting a cut from each transaction done via them

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 8, 2016, 02:59:31 pm »
Barcelona have invited Brazilian club Chapecoense to play them in a pre-season friendly next summer. http://bbc.in/2gFHdY1

Offline 81a

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 8, 2016, 04:49:50 pm »
they never had any other incidents did they?

Then again knowing conmebol were probably getting a cut from each transaction done via them

No noted incidents, but they had initially tried to setup the company in Venezuela, however the aviation authority in that country refused them a license and they then setup in Bolivia.

Just not the type of outfit you would think the Argentinian, Bolivian and Venezuelan national teams plus club sides from Columbia, Paraguay. Brazil and Bolivia would need to use.

Still all hindsight and will be interesting when the flight plans and fuel loads of earlier trips are released.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 8, 2016, 05:20:58 pm »
Barcelona have invited Brazilian club Chapecoense to play them in a pre-season friendly next summer. http://bbc.in/2gFHdY1

Great gesture that. I hope I'm safe to assume any proceeds from the match will be going to Chapeconse too.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 8, 2016, 06:41:30 pm »
No noted incidents, but they had initially tried to setup the company in Venezuela, however the aviation authority in that country refused them a license and they then setup in Bolivia.

Just not the type of outfit you would think the Argentinian, Bolivian and Venezuelan national teams plus club sides from Columbia, Paraguay. Brazil and Bolivia would need to use.

Still all hindsight and will be interesting when the flight plans and fuel loads of earlier trips are released.
think I've seen somewhere they did a similar flight a while ago without problems

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 8, 2016, 08:51:33 pm »
From that economist article posted earlier, this explains why they were so popular (and why the pilot likely avoided that other fuel stop in bogota)

The players of Chapecoense were not the only footballers to fly with Lamia. Few airlines provide chartered flights in Latin America, and none does it cheaper. “A flight that another company charges you $100,000 for, Lamia offered for $60,000,” an industry insider told La Nacion, an Argentine newspaper.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #188 on: December 8, 2016, 09:06:09 pm »
think I've seen somewhere they did a similar flight a while ago without problems

In here:

More in Deadspin

It says that a Brazilian paper has found out that they went under the safety-limit for fuel when they were flying the Argentinian team back to Argentina from Brazil a couple of weeks ago. The flight took four hours and four minutes. The plane's fuel capacity is only four hours and 22 minutes which only gives them a "safety net" of 18 minutes of fuel and according to regulations that should be 30 to 45 minutes. The article also says that the Brazilian paper found two other flights where something similar happened in the past. There was a reason why they might have been cheaper than other airlines...

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #189 on: December 8, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »
In here:

It says that a Brazilian paper has found out that they went under the safety-limit for fuel when they were flying the Argentinian team back to Argentina from Brazil a couple of weeks ago. The flight took four hours and four minutes. The plane's fuel capacity is only four hours and 22 minutes which only gives them a "safety net" of 18 minutes of fuel and according to regulations that should be 30 to 45 minutes. The article also says that the Brazilian paper found two other flights where something similar happened in the past. There was a reason why they might have been cheaper than other airlines...

Kinda unbelievable that the Argentinian national team wouldn't have better options than that.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #190 on: December 8, 2016, 11:38:26 pm »
Kinda unbelievable that the Argentinian national team wouldn't have better options than that.

there was a piece during the last international break about Messi paying some of the salaries from his own pocket (because the national FA are strapped for cash)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/lionel-messi-latest-barcelona-news-argentina-afa-a7426606.html

I think that might be him and Aguero sitting on the plane that crashed

Offline 81a

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 9, 2016, 09:06:52 pm »
Graphic showing the airlines repeated violation of regulations regarding fuel. Atletico Nacional took the same flight in October and landed on fumes.

http://www.univision.com/noticias/accidente-aereo/antes-de-estrellarse-el-avion-de-lamia-forzo-la-reserva-de-combustible-en-otros-ocho-vuelos

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2016, 01:42:04 pm »
Fined for failing to fulfill a fixture  >:( >:(  :butt
I am at a loss for words
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:27 pm »
Fined for failing to fulfill a fixture  >:( >:(  :butt
I am at a loss for words
I thought you were messing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chapecoense-fined-after-failing-fulfil-9442050

Chapecoense have been fined €28,300 after failing to fulfil their final fixture of the season against Atletico Mineiro.

Nineteen players from the Brazilian club were among 71 killed in a plane crash earlier this month while travelling to their Copa Sudamericana final match against Colombian side Atletico Nacional.

Just three of the team - defender Alan Luciano Ruschel, reserve goalkeeper Jackson Ragnar Follmann and centre-back Helio Hermito Zampier Neto - were named among only six survivors of the accident.

The final round of the Brazilian championship was on December 1, but it was agreed the match against Mineiro would not be played as a result of the tragedy.

Their opponents had also booked their place in the first phase of the Copa Libertadores, so a 3-0 reverse was recorded for both clubs.

However, the Superior Court of Justice has decided to punish both clubs for failing to fulfil the fixture.

Mirror Football reported at the weekend how one of the three Chapecoense players to survive has reportedly not yet been informed about the disaster.

Neto is continuing his recovery in a Colombian hospital and reports in Brazil claim doctors are yet to inform the defender about the crash.

He was taken off life support machine on Saturday and TV Globo report that he has asked about the result of the match.

However, it is claimed doctors have avoided discussing the subject on the recommendation of a psychologist.

A member of the Chapecoense staff suggested that discovering the fate of his tragic teammate's would cause an emotional shock, leading to a detrimental impact on his recovery.

It was also reported at the weekend that Neto was reading a Bible passage before the tragic crash.

The bible was found at the scene and handed to the player's wife, who has revealed he takes the scripture everywhere with him.

A bookmark had been inserted in a passage, referring to "being sage in the shadow of God's wings."
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:57 pm »
Neto is continuing his recovery in a Colombian hospital and reports in Brazil claim doctors are yet to inform the defender about the crash.

He was taken off life support machine on Saturday and TV Globo report that he has asked about the result of the match.

However, it is claimed doctors have avoided discussing the subject on the recommendation of a psychologist.

Always sensible to be wary of sources when it comes to speculation such as this, but that's such a sad thought :(

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2017, 02:44:02 am »

Jakson Follmann:

“In one week of physiotherapy, of treatment, I managed to take my first steps. For me, it was a really big victory.”

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:35 am »
Chapecoense qualified for the knockouts of the Copa Libertadores in dramatic fashion last night with 2 injury time goals to go from 0-1 to 2-1.

Edit: Shit, apparently they fielded an ineligible player last week so they only made the Copa Sudamerica  :(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:43:01 am by 1892tillforever »

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2017, 01:37:57 am »
One year ago - seems like longer.  RIP to all the dead - hope their families and friends are doing a little better.

Chapecoense plane crash: How the club is still defying the odds one year on

By Tim Vickery

On the night of Monday, 28 November last year I did a radio report on Chapecoense, a club from a small town in southern Brazil who had made remarkable progress.

Inside a decade they had progressed from outside Brazil's four national divisions to become the first club from the country to make it to a continental final since 2013.

At that very moment, they were on their way to Medellin in Colombia for the first leg of the final of the Copa Sudamericana, a Europa League equivalent, against Atletico Nacional.

A few hours later I was woken up by a phone call. Their plane had gone down on its approach to Medellin airport.

I scurried for details. Along with the team, coaching staff and directors there were plenty of journalists on board - including, I was alarmed to see, a friend of mine - Paulo Julio Clement, known to everyone as PJ.

The early details brought hope. There were survivors. It seemed there might be many of them. The local authorities requested those in the area with SUVs come to help ferry them to hospital. There was a chance.

I sent a text message to Paulo, and kept answering the phone and doing radio and TV reports.

By coincidence, that morning I was booked to do the Brazilian TV show on which I had got to know Paulo. I could have cancelled, and kept on doing radio work in English. But being on the show seemed the right thing to do, and so we spent the morning on air as the news kept coming in.

It was a rollercoaster. Goalkeeper Danilo, whose heroics had taken Chapecoense to the final, was found alive - but died soon afterwards.

The search for survivors was abandoned. There was no more hope. But then centre-back Neto was found alive. Perhaps there would be others.

There were not.

In all, of 77 people on board, 71 lost their lives.

Two of the crew - air hostess Ximena Suarez and technician Erwin Tumuri - survived along with three players - Neto, midfielder Alan Ruschel and goalkeeper Jakson Follmann.

Ruschel has resumed his career with the club, Neto is in training to make a comeback next year and Follmann, who lost part of a leg, had to retire.

The service at Chapecoense's stadium was a deeply moving and emotional occasion

All of the coaching staff and directors died, along with 20 journalists. One, Rafael Henzel, survived.

The coffins of the deceased were flown back to Chapeco for a deeply moving service in driving rain.

Equally touching was the gesture of the Colombian team, Atletico Nacional.

At the time the match was to have been played they threw the doors of the stadium open and, with in front of a packed house with thousands outside the ground, held a heartfelt service.

Nacional suggested Chapecoense be awarded the Copa Sudamericana title.

This was more than just a symbolic gesture.

It also ensured Chapecoense would make their debut in the Copa Libertadores, South America's Champions League, bringing in much-needed revenue for a club facing a daunting task of rebuilding.
Three managers and an ineligible player - but Chapecoense stay up

After the disaster, it was suggested Chapecoense might be protected from relegation for two or three years to give them time to rebuild.

The club were quick to dismiss the proposal.

They wanted to stand or fall by their own merits. They were giving themselves a Herculean task, but it was made a little easier by two factors.

First, there is often considerable end-of-year turnover at Brazilian clubs - teams can often go through big changes.

The same methodical steps were taken that had served the club so well in its rise. The coaching staff had indicated some future transfer targets, which were followed up. Respected coach Vagner Mancini came in to take charge, and other clubs helped out by sending players on loan.

A total rebuilding job - it has been a superb achievement by Chapecoense to survive in the Brazilian top flight

Second, they had a few months to find a blend - the first division did not start until the middle of May.

In Brazil, the opening few months of the year are given over to the State Championships - Chapecoense compete in the state of Santa Catarina.

So they had some time to build for the big challenge - and, when it finally started, they began the first division campaign very well. After the first few rounds, exactly six months after the accident, they were top of the table.

It would clearly be impossible to maintain such momentum, but those early points proved very useful.

Chapecoense also performed with great credit in their debut Libertadores campaign, and it could have been even better.

Big centre-back Luiz Otavio was suspended for their trip to Lanus of Argentina in the middle of May.

It seems there had been some mix-up in sending out the confirmation email, but the club were informed before kick-off that he was not eligible.

They picked him anyway - and he scored the decisive goal in their 2-1 win.

The game was awarded to Lanus - and the lost points cost Chapecoense their place in the knockout phase.

Lanus, meanwhile, are contesting the final against Gremio of Brazil, with the second leg on Wednesday.

Chapecoense, then, were back in the Copa Sudamericana.

But their quest to retain the title ended with a 4-0 aggregate defeat by compatriots Flamengo.

There was some controversy with the first goal - though it seems the referee was correct.

Chapecoense striker Wellington Paulista, briefly of West Ham, was not happy.

"They sent a referee from Bolivia, or wherever, to complicate the game," he said. "We had a chance. But this ref from Bolivia, or wherever, put an end to our dream."

The referee was in fact from Peru, and the taint of prejudice in Wellington Paulista's comments was especially sad coming from a player of Chapecoense, a club whose suffering had united the continent.

In addition to their continental adventures, Chapecoense also played a friendly in Barcelona in August, with Ruschel returning to the field in a match that raised the club's profile in Europe.

But ensuring first division survival had always been the club's priority.

After the encouraging start to the campaign, things rapidly became more difficult for Chapecoense.

Vagner Mancini's strategy was aggressive. He reasoned the road to salvation lay in taking risks to ensure enough games were won. But the team started to leak goals - and defensive solidity traditionally has a high value in the south of Brazil.

Mancini was sacked and replaced by youth specialist Vinicius Eutropio, but the team's away form slumped, and the experienced Gilson Kleina was brought in.

He has overseen a strong finish to the campaign, with the team pulling away from the relegation dogfight and making sure of their place in next year's first division with four rounds still to go - a mighty achievement.

The season ends on Sunday with a home match against Coritiba, and Rui Costa - the director in charge of football - said of staying up: "I feel like a winner of the Champions League."
A difficult year off the field

Investigations are ongoing, but the cause of the crash seems clear enough.

The aeroplane was operating at the very limit of its fuel capacity, and should have refuelled between Santa Cruz de la Sierra in Bolivia and Medellin.

The little LaMia airline had recently established itself as a specialist in carrying football teams around South America.

Shortly before the same aircraft had taken Argentina, Lionel Messi and all, on a long journey that was also dangerously close to fuel capacity.

LaMia had two operational aircraft and their licence was suspended shortly after the crash.

Celia Castedo, from the Bolivian air authority, had apparently pointed out beforehand the obvious deficiency in the flight plan, though she says she had no power to prevent the plane from taking off.

Fearing for her life, Castedo quickly left Bolivia to seek asylum in Brazil and has spent the past year there.

By the end of 2016 an investigation by Colombian officials said there was no technical failure and blamed the pilot, the airline and Bolivian regulators.

Back in Chapecoense, two associations have been formed to represent the families of those who perished - although there is considerable overlap between them.

Lorries were used to transport the coffins of the victims to the stadium for last year's memorial service

ABRAVIC have been dealing with day-to-day issues, such as school fees and medical bills.

AFAV-C is focused more on bureaucratic and legal problems - such as the potentially complex question of the extent of Chapecoense's liability for the accident.

There have been tensions.

The president of AFAV-C is Fabiane Belle, wife of the club physiologist.

"After the initial commotion," she said, "we did not have any crisis management. We were left without support."

ABRAVIC president Gabriel Santos Cordeiro de Andrade said "we had a little problem at the beginning. As Chapecoense lost many directors, they had organisational difficulties in the first months, but now we're moving towards an agreement".

Those who died a year ago will never be forgotten by the people of Chapeco, and their memory has been honoured by the displays of the team in 2017.

In the long term a small-town provincial club can hardly hope to compete on equal terms with the giants of the Brazilian game.

But with the same low-profile solid approach that has served them so well in recent times, Chapecoense will aim to keep punching well above their weight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42137506
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2017, 10:34:31 am »
It seems longer than a year ago.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »
There is a video going round on Twitter or similar where they interview the survivors, its one of the most heartbreaking things I have seen, I dont mind admitting I cried during and after it.

I recall one of the players who survived had a vivid dream the night before that the plane crashed, his missus comforted him saying it was just a dream etc. Absolutely awful.  :'(
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."