Author Topic: LFC Squad - World Cup Break  (Read 45346 times)

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: LFC Squad - World Cup Break
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2022, 02:45:02 pm »

The 7 Liverpool players at the 2022 World Cup...

Trent and Henderson for England.

Alisson and Fabinho for Brazil.

Nunez for Uruguay.

Konate for France.

Van Dijk for Netherlands.

Out of the 7 Liverpool players there, and going on form and recent national selections... Konate, Fabinho and Henderson will be on the bench for most of it - and Trent too given Southgate's attitude, poor rating and lacking man-management of him. Alisson, Nunez and van Dijk will likely be playing most (if not all) of the matches.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:16:24 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2022, 02:48:20 pm »
A few more than expected, which is a bit annoying. But I guess Ibou doesn't have many minutes in his legs this season anyway so maybe not the worst thing, and Trent/Hendo/Fab/Konate won't play much
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2022, 02:57:48 pm »
Ridiculous Trent has been picked - been woeful all season - much better right backs available

Henderson, what a joke - not even first choice at his club

I am not happy about TAA and Hendo being picked either, but not for the reasons (which I think are bs) you state.
Phuk yoo

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2022, 03:00:11 pm »
Hopefully Trent doesn't get on the pitch.  Any mistake in the world cup and they'll go at him, could break the lad to be honest.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2022, 03:00:12 pm »
Kelleher
Ramsay Gomez Matip Robertson
Elliot Thiago Jones
Salah Firmino Diaz

Plus, Adrian, Keita, Doak, Tsmikas, Bajcetic, Oxlade, Jota, Phillips, Clark, Stewart, Gordon, Frauendorf

Is therefore our current non-world cup squad, important because we have two matches straight after the world cup plus post christmas schedule, obviously to be augmented by early returners as we go on.

That's quite decent assuming players come back from injury as planned and don't fall off the ladder putting their christmas lights up
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 03:01:55 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2022, 03:02:38 pm »
Be a real shame if Trent has to come off on Saturday with a small injury that rules him out for 2 weeks, hopefully he can then avoid all the ridiculous scrutiny

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2022, 03:15:03 pm »
Let's be honest, Trent won't be starting games, so I don't expect there to be much ammunition for people to go at him with. If he's lucky, he'll get 10 or 15 minutes when England are chasing a game and in dire need of a player with the best right peg in the squad.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2022, 03:17:46 pm »
In a way I want Trent to perform well if he gets the chance and shove it down the throat of the haters.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2022, 03:40:09 pm »
Kelleher
Elliot Thiago Jones
Salah Firmino Diaz

Plus, Adrian, Keita, Doak, Tsmikas, Bajcetic, Oxlade, Jota, Phillips, Clark, Stewart, Gordon, Frauendorf

Is therefore our current non-world cup squad, important because we have two matches straight after the world cup plus post christmas schedule, obviously to be augmented by early returners as we go on.

That's quite decent assuming players come back from injury as planned and don't fall off the ladder putting their christmas lights up
That looks pretty decent, and considering they'll all be at the warm winter training camp, plus probably spending more time with their families this year than in previous seasons, it's the perfect reset opportunity for minds and bodies.

We should certainly be well placed to capitalise on any other teams that have a sluggish start when the league returns, or any teams who have lots of players in teams that could go far in the tournament. City's form will fall off a cliff in January, and we'll slowly rein them in and win the title - you hear it here first....
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2022, 03:51:54 pm »
That looks pretty decent, and considering they'll all be at the warm winter training camp, plus probably spending more time with their families this year than in previous seasons, it's the perfect reset opportunity for minds and bodies.

We should certainly be well placed to capitalise on any other teams that have a sluggish start when the league returns, or any teams who have lots of players in teams that could go far in the tournament. City's form will fall off a cliff in January, and we'll slowly rein them in and win the title - you hear it here first....

yes, there are at least 10+ more players there who we could have lost as well depending on qualification, selection or injury
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2022, 04:23:22 pm »
Have wondered if Trent being out of favour with England had wrecked his motivation a bit. Now picked to feature, will we see the real Trent back?
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2022, 04:44:45 pm »
Kelleher
Elliot Thiago Jones
Salah Firmino Diaz

In the unlikely event that England, Netherlands and Uruguay make the semis, they’d be knocked out on or before 12th Dec, no reason why they all couldn’t be selected in the two games after Christmas. Only game they’d miss is the League Cup tie.

Realistically, only Brazil and possibly France are going to make the semis or final which would leave us without Alisson, Fab and Konate.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2022, 05:03:19 pm »
Didn’t realize Bobby had been omitted from Brazil squad.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2022, 05:03:51 pm »
Hope we've got a better plan for Virgil than we had for Salah last year

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2022, 05:26:50 pm »
has anyone come across a site that shows how many players from each PL club will be at the WC?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2022, 05:34:23 pm »
has anyone come across a site that shows how many players from each PL club will be at the WC?

Here you go, mate (though a few countries haven't announced their final 26-man squads yet - that'll be done by the 14th November):-

'Premier League players appearing at FIFA World Cup 2022 by club':-

www.premierleague.com/news/2889382

This is decent for the World Cup squads too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

Also a 'Players at the World Cup - by Country' feature too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Player_representation_by_league_system

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:37:23 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2022, 05:42:49 pm »
Here you go, mate (though a few countries haven't announced their final 26-man squads yet - that'll be done by the 14th November):-

'Premier League players appearing at FIFA World Cup 2022 by club':-

www.premierleague.com/news/2889382

This is decent for the World Cup squads too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads

Also a 'Players at the World Cup - by Country' feature too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Player_representation_by_league_system

as always, Jason .... where would we be without you !

thanks mate, much appreciated.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2022, 05:43:16 pm »
Unsurprisingly Carvalho didn't make the Portugal squad.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2022, 05:46:43 pm »
so far:
Arse - 9
Chelsea - 9
Us - 5 + Nunez soon (+ maybe Thiago longshot?)
City - 9
MU - 8
Spurs - 7

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:47:15 pm by SamLad »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2022, 05:47:18 pm »
Unsurprisingly Carvalho didn't make the Portugal squad.

fine with me.  he has a lot of time to do it.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2022, 06:49:54 pm »
updated ...

Arse - 9
Chelsea - 9
City - 12
MU - 11
Spurs - 7

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2022, 07:14:45 pm »
so far:
Arse - 9
Chelsea - 9
City - 9
MU - 8
Spurs - 7

Newcastle 6 at the moment
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2022, 08:08:41 pm »
so far:
Arse - 9
Chelsea - 9
Us - 5 + Nunez and Virgil soon (+ maybe Thiago longshot?)
City - 9
MU - 8
Spurs - 7

LOL I forgot Virgil.  :)  assuming he gets selected of course

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2022, 08:19:10 pm »
So far, we have more ex players (10 as of today) going than current players

Mignolet, Ward, Sterling, Wilson, Allen, Suarez, Coady, Minimino, Shaqiri, Williams

Whilst not watching it I will be supporting Wales
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2022, 08:40:30 pm »
So far, we have more ex players (10 as of today) going than current players

Mignolet, Ward, Sterling, Wilson, Allen, Suarez, Coady, Minimino, Shaqiri, Williams

Lovren made the Croatia squad, and Coates made the Uruguay squad too, mate. www.instagram.com/reel/CkylkfFIymG ;D

Aspas is in the 55-man Spain squad - he may not make the 26-man squad announced tomorrow - but could be worth keeping an eye out for as well.

Mane may yet make the Senegal squad - an injured player can be replaced up to 24 hours before a team's 1st match; and there's rumours of him still being included in the squad at this point (+ rumours of witch doctors etc)... the squad is announced tomorrow.

Coach-wise, Rigobert Song is the managing Cameroon.

Edit: Ex-Red midfielder Marko Grujić made the Serbia squad too - https://twitter.com/Neymarrubio95/status/1591052214227054595

Aspas did not make the final 26-man Spanish squad (nor did Thiago).

Ex-Reds at the World Cup

Ward, Wilson, N Williams, Allen, Suarez, Coates, Sterling, Coady, Minimino, Shaqiri, Lovren, Grujic, Mignolet, Mane. (14 in total - including Sadio Mane.)...

And also Rigobert Song as coach of Cameroon.

^ 4 Welshies!!!  :thumbup

Re Mane - he is in the 26 man Senegal squad (an injured player in the 26-man squad list can be replaced 24 hours before their 1st match)...

& www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/63576021

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:51:22 pm by oojason »

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2022, 12:11:25 am »
Lovren made the Croatia squad, and Coates made the Uruguay squad too, mate. www.instagram.com/reel/CkylkfFIymG ;D

Aspas is in the 55-man Spain squad - he may not make the 26-man squad announced tomorrow - but could be worth keeping an eye out for as well.

Mane may yet make the Senegal squad - an injured player can be replaced up to 24 hours before a team's 1st match; and there's rumours of him still being included in the squad at this point (+ witch doctors etc)... the squad is announced tomorrow.

Coach-wise, Rigobert Song is the managing Cameroon.

I missed Coates because I had assumed he had finished playing, looking at him he was only 21 when he joined us in 2011 but seemed older. He's younger (32) than Lovren (33) even though he left 6 years before Dejan
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2022, 11:42:17 am »
Thiago not in, shit for him but awesome news for us

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2022, 11:42:57 am »

Brilliant news.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2022, 11:56:48 am »
We won't have all that many players going, and of the ones that are going I can't see Hendo or Trent getting much game time.  Excellent stuff.

Edit: I'm counting 7 going: Ali, VVD, Trent, Konate, Fab, Hendo, Nunez.  Is that it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:04:53 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2022, 12:09:18 pm »

Phew!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2022, 12:09:28 pm »
Has the club communicated what the plan is for reintegrating players at the World Cup? Obviously in summer tournaments we tend to give players up to three weeks off, but that's not going to be the case here. With midseason AFCONs, Mane and Salah have basically flown straight from the tournament into the matchday squad - are we expecting the same here?

The quarters finish on 10th December, so 10 or 11 days prior to the City game in the League Cup. Could realistically give those who go out at that stage (or earlier) a week off and then a few training sessions before involving them against City.

Obviously anyone who gets to the semis is basically there for the duration due to the 3rd place playoff. Doubt they'd be included in the City game on the 20th/21st but don't see why they couldn't at least be on the bench for the Villa game on Boxing Day.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2022, 12:09:39 pm »
So it's just Alisson, Trent, Konate, van Djik, Fabinho, Henderson, and Nunez.

Jota and Arthur will miss it through injury but it should be a pretty strong training camp in Dubai and squad for the Milan friendly with Kelleher, Adrian, Ramsay, Robertson, Tsimikas, Matip, Gomez, Phillips, Milner, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Elliott, Jones, Carvalho, Salah, Firmino, and Diaz. Will be a great opportunity for a couple of youngsters to join a camp with a strong squad.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2022, 12:12:10 pm »
One thing I hadn't appreciated is that countries that didn't qualify have arranged friendlies for next week so that will eat into the potential break for their players.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2022, 12:13:38 pm »
Thank fuck Thiago isn't going.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2022, 12:15:21 pm »
One thing I hadn't appreciated is that countries that didn't qualify have arranged friendlies for next week so that will eat into the potential break for their players.

Think I read that Kostas hasn't been picked for Greece but haven't heard about any others.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2022, 12:22:19 pm »

Surely not? With teams playing in the World Cup or just a friendly for the sake of having a friendly? If it's the former, I can sort of see the reasoning, but if it's just a friendly against a non-WC team then WTF are they thinking?

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2022, 12:23:43 pm »
Think I read that Kostas hasn't been picked for Greece but haven't heard about any others.
Ramsay and Robbo got Scotland callups. Kweev called up for Ireland.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2022, 12:24:29 pm »
Surely not? With teams playing in the World Cup or just a friendly for the sake of having a friendly? If it's the former, I can sort of see the reasoning, but if it's just a friendly against a non-WC team then WTF are they thinking?

Greece are playing friendly matches with Malta (November 17) and Hungary (November 20) - absolutely pointless but it seems they've left out their most established players at least.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2022, 12:25:48 pm »
Ramsay and Robbo got Scotland callups. Kweev called up for Ireland.

Fuck sake.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2022, 12:28:19 pm »
Surprises me that a team as good as ours (well, on our day) has so few players going to the World Cup. Two of them in particular are just gonna be collecting splinters from the bench

Not a bad thing for us, mind you