Author Topic: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread  (Read 20438 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2021, 03:50:22 pm »
Who’s been overplayed by Liverpool this season? Or are you talking about combination of club and international football?

Yeah I'm talking about the sheer number of games and travel overall with no real break since last season or the one before..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2021, 03:52:45 pm »
For those who want regulars nowhere near this line up, what would your teams be? Traditionally this sort of game would be nailed on for Origi and Minamino for example. Would you still start them both (if Div is fit), or could you argue we’ll need them soon enough so you don’t risk them either? Where do you draw the line?

I think we’ll still see some regular faces, maybe with a few pre-planned subs.

No I'd play them both and other squad players that haven't really had a chance. I'd stick a few regulars on the bench though but also make sure a couple of youngsters were in the squad for the experience.

Someone out of (if not injured)

Adrian, Kelleher, Tsmikikas, Phillips, Konate, Gomez, Nico Williams, Jones, Thiago (Needs more game time), Milner, Ox, Minamino, Origi

And a few first teamers and some kids we have allowed..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 03:55:08 pm by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2021, 03:54:34 pm »
Klopp had some choice words for the reporter who brought up the Jota injury. I'm not saying that it makes it the right decision, but it would be fun watching posters from here try to have that argument with him.  ;D

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2021, 03:56:55 pm »

Hope I win the next Euromillions. I haven’t entered but I still fancy my chances.

With Euromillions you probably have a similar chance of winning even if you don't enter compared to if you do ;)
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2021, 04:05:58 pm »
I would play a shrewsbury team but that aint going to happen judging by the vibes.

As has been stated Kaide Gordon can’t play as he’s not registered, so I don’t see UEFA letting Shrewsbury take our place

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2021, 04:41:36 pm »
Yeah I'm talking about the sheer number of games and travel overall with no real break since last season or the one before..

Fair enough.

We can only control, to some degree, how much the players play for Liverpool. Before the Arsenal game I took a look and I think only Salah had played over 80 of the available minutes for Liverpool this season. The vast majority of the squad was <75% of the available minutes.

The pattern of how playing minutes had been spread throughout the squad was similar to City, though Joao Cancelo had played lot of minutes for City so far this season. That's probably a function of their slight lack of depth at the full back positions.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2021, 04:47:49 pm »
Fair enough.

We can only control, to some degree, how much the players play for Liverpool. Before the Arsenal game I took a look and I think only Salah had played over 80 of the available minutes for Liverpool this season. The vast majority of the squad was <75% of the available minutes.

The pattern of how playing minutes had been spread throughout the squad was similar to City, though Joao Cancelo had played lot of minutes for City so far this season. That's probably a function of their slight lack of depth at the full back positions.

I know they're missing He Who Cannot be Named but Pep has been collecting full backs since he arrived so surely they can't be short?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2021, 04:48:20 pm »
all this back-and-forth about the lineup and injury risk ....

it'd be interesting to see the reaction if Taki plays and gets injured tonight.  you can count on a whole lot of "wtf was Klopp thinking - what will we do during AFCON!!??"

Players who need the games should play and if they get injured it's unfortunate. We just don't need to risk anyone who are going to be starting the upcoming games.

Kante and Chilwell got injured last night. Unfortunate but Chelsea still had work to do to qualify/win the group. We can mitigate the risk.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »
I know they're missing He Who Cannot be Named but Pep has been collecting full backs since he arrived so surely they can't be short?

Aren't they all fat, dead or in jail?

Looking forward to this tonight. Porto is always a fun one once we hit our groove.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2021, 05:29:21 pm »
Pretty sure along with the financial aspect, he mentioned fans going to the game also and basically wanting to give them value for money.
Surely anyone going realises this game means nothing for us, and we need to manage the squad. Anyone the would be going and moaning about not fielding our best 11 needs to give their head a wobble.

agreed

Id rather play a strong team in the domestic cups than tonight, However I think he will go 'quite' strong

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2021, 05:30:41 pm »
Some talk Chilwell might have done his ACL. I know we have to field a team and it can happen at any time but full reserves please.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2021, 05:33:58 pm »
Some talk Chilwell might have done his ACL. I know we have to field a team and it can happen at any time but full reserves please.

is this Non Sequitor week?  :)

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2021, 05:39:48 pm »
Milner tweeting about being back and ready for Porto. Will be good to have him alongside Morton.

That's good to hear. I'd be happy if those two lined up in midfield together.

I don't think it will be the complete wholesale change that some would like, but there are some obvious and easy swaps...

Kelleher - we know he's good enough and it will be great experience for him. We don't need to give Adrian a game unless our other options are injured.

Gomez + Konate - this is almost a no-brainer.
Tsimikas or Robbo? - I'd keep Kostas in.
Bradley for Trent? - this one feels less likely to me, but I guess it depends on whether the coaches decide Trent needs a rest.

Morton, Ox plus one of Thiago/Henderson/Milner

Taki, Div plus one of Mo/Sadio

That team should be more than good enough to beat Porto, and we can still have some strong options on the bench if we need them, plus a few more kids for when we're 3-0 up with 20 to play and want to give them a run out.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2021, 05:44:32 pm »
Very cold night. Need to make sure we warm up those hammy's.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2021, 05:45:34 pm »
Bradley for Trent? - this one feels less likely to me, but I guess it depends on whether the coaches decide Trent needs a rest.

Bradley played earlier today.  it'll be Neco at RB I think / expect.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2021, 05:46:12 pm »
Can’t even be arsed watching this. Please no injuries.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2021, 05:47:20 pm »
Can’t even be arsed watching this.

that's the spirit !

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2021, 05:49:13 pm »
Bradley played earlier today.  it'll be Neco at RB I think / expect.

Ah! I'd forgotten about Neco, to be honest, until I started reading back through the thread...

Also, I forgot about Gomez being injured. Maybe Nat will get a game?

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2021, 05:49:26 pm »
Can’t even be arsed watching this. Please no injuries.
I shake my head in your general direction
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2021, 05:51:34 pm »
Ah! I'd forgotten about Neco, to be honest, until I started reading back through the thread...

Also, I forgot about Gomez being injured. Maybe Nat will get a game?

I think Konate is 100% gonna start, and yeah I'd put Nat in there as well.

I love Nat.  super guy to have in the squad.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2021, 05:58:56 pm »
Can’t even be arsed watching this.

I love games where we play some of our squad players, gives us a chance to see how they're developing and potentially try and stake a claim for some PL minutes.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2021, 06:00:47 pm »
I love games where we play some of our squad players, gives us a chance to see how they're developing and potentially try and stake a claim for some PL minutes.

100%.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2021, 06:14:48 pm »
I shake my head in your general direction

Spending some time with Evermore instead  ;D

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2021, 06:25:43 pm »
Players can get injured at any time. But it's far more likely in competitive games where there's so much out of your control including the challenges put in by the opposition.

The money argument also doesn't wash; it's financially far more damaging to risk CL qualification (in a mediocre league season) or throw away your chance of winning the title (in seasons such as this) than not pocket a couple of million for winning a meaningless group game. Even ignoring those cliff edges, finishing one place higher from 4th to 2nd is worth a substantial amount of money (money from both the PL and then a higher share of part of the CL pot the following season).

A sensible strategy is to pick the team for the weekend first (whilst also bearing in mind that next midweek is Everton in the league), not to start any key players coming back from injury tonight, rest Virgil, Trent, Fab and Mo (who are the most irreplaceable) and have a couple of planned subs to manage minutes.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2021, 06:31:31 pm »
Pretty sure along with the financial aspect, he mentioned fans going to the game also and basically wanting to give them value for money.
Surely anyone going realises this game means nothing for us, and we need to manage the squad. Anyone the would be going and moaning about not fielding our best 11 needs to give their head a wobble.

Which is fair, but look at some of the teams we've put out in the domestic cups in recent years and that's with a trophy at stake, rather than a dead game.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2021, 06:44:02 pm »
Quite looking forward to this with the result not really being of any importance. Never want to be losing at home though, although I wouldn't be too upset with a draw and no injuries.

I hope Milan smashes Atletico, though.  ;D

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2021, 06:45:54 pm »
Liverpool: Alisson, Williams, Matip, Konate, Tsimikas, Morton, Thiago, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Salah, Minamino.

Subs: Adrian, Kelleher, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Milner, Henderson, Jota, Robertson, Origi, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2021, 06:46:42 pm »

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2021, 06:46:43 pm »
Nice. I like that line-up.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2021, 06:46:45 pm »
Biggest game of the season, everything on the line here.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2021, 06:47:24 pm »
Gone fairly strong there. But still plenty on the bench to swap around with 5 subs.

Looking forward to this. Especially the full CL debut of Tyler Morton
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2021, 06:47:52 pm »
Quite looking forward to this with the result not really being of any importance. Never want to be losing at home though, although I wouldn't be too upset with a draw and no injuries.

I hope Milan smashes Atletico, though.  ;D

We lose Porto go favourites to qualify ahead of atletico

I never want bud to lose but I wouldn’t mind so much tonight
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2021, 06:49:34 pm »
Nice, really looking forward to seeing Morton and especially Minamino - hope he bangs in a couple and we can take off Mane and Salah with the game won.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2021, 06:49:49 pm »
As suspected, no surprise that Van Dijk, Trent and Fabinho are not playing. I would have thought Salah may get a rest but he doesn’t have the injury history the others have had.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2021, 06:50:04 pm »
The fact we'll have a stronger team and bench here for a dead game than for a quarter final next month doesn't make much sense.

Glad Morton's got a start. Hopefully get Nat on at half time. Shame there's not a few more youngsters on the bench.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2021, 06:50:25 pm »
really strange to have Matip play
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2021, 06:51:14 pm »
Keep a clean sheet, score a few goals for fun, Happy Days.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2021, 06:51:27 pm »
really strange to have Matip play

Nat should have got these last two games. We wouldn't even be in the competition without his contribution last season.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2021, 06:51:32 pm »
Don't think we needed to play both Mane and Salah from the start, but obviously, we don't have many options upfront right now.

Online SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2021, 06:51:38 pm »
Christ we have went strong
YNWA