Author Topic: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread  (Read 20352 times)

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2021, 07:32:39 am »
Has to be a heavily rotated side. Screw the money for a win; that becomes redundant if we win with a full strength side starting but end up with injuries especially in midfield.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2021, 07:33:52 am »
As weak as possible and no injuries, seriously i could care less otherwise. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2021, 08:03:23 am »
No Injuries please - that is the only ask from this fixture. if this helps screwing Simone and Atletico Madrid, i am all for it.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2021, 08:08:51 am »
Up to two players can be added to the A list (keeping max 25) after the group stage.
I expect Harvey Elliott to be added then, unlikely a transfer so if the staff feel Gordon is at all a bench option if needed he is added then. No reason for Elliott this time as he was hurt by list submission irc.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2021, 08:29:45 am »
Strong team and a needed win please.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2021, 09:13:37 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op stockdam. On my way to Gran Canaria for 9 nights but will still find a bar to watch unit and one of our daughters is off to the match so still deserves attention!
I agree we will see a hybrid side with reasonably strong defence, young and experienced midfield and at least one regular starter up front - my guess is Mo.
Hope to see a win despite the weaker starting line.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2021, 09:43:32 am »
Don’t think Tyler Morton is in the 25 player ‘A’ List but will have been added to the ‘B’ list which he qualifies for, as do any youngsters who’ve been at the club for at least 2 years. Which is why Kaide Gordon can’t play because he only signed in January and neither is he on the ‘A’ list.
He has be on the A list. Him and Elliott don't qualify for the B list bc they haven't been at Liverpool for 2 years in a row irc is the rules for it . If Elliott is fit for Round of 16 plus expect him on A list.

Morton is on the B List, it says so clearly on https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/squad/

His name is asterisked which denotes " *Player list B "

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2021, 10:09:45 am »
Ali, Trent, Virgil, Fab and Mo should be left at home for this. Klopps comments about prize money for a win could mean we don’t see many changes but I really hope we don’t risk any of the aforementioned.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2021, 10:14:06 am »
Klopp is the manager, whatever side he puts out is his choice and it no ones fucking business to be moaning about it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2021, 10:19:40 am »
Get some momentum, 4-5 changes and a win would be nice. Be nice for some of the youngsters to get a CL run out under the lights, but a win would make it very sweet.
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2021, 10:58:46 am »
Klopp is the manager, whatever side he puts out is his choice and it no ones fucking business to be moaning about it.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2021, 11:13:41 am »
Expect Milan will be where we really rotate because it's an away game in the crazy December schedule, similar to midtjylland last season.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2021, 11:19:58 am »

I can see our Jürgen now: 

"You know Pepijn , I was going to play Virgil and Matip for Porto,  but now that I've consulted those wise sages on RAWK, I think it's better I play the kids."

;D

fc

Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2021, 11:32:38 am »
Klopp is a firm believer in rhythm. I believe that none of our starting players should be anywhere near the team but I think a few of them will be.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2021, 11:41:56 am »
Expect Milan will be where we really rotate because it's an away game in the crazy December schedule, similar to midtjylland last season.

That the game where Jota was unavailable for three months afterwards? ???

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2021, 11:55:32 am »

There’s always the chance of some of the currently injured squad players being available by the Milan game. That could allow for more rotation than on Wednesday night.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2021, 12:18:20 pm »
Why does the amount of money we get from a win here seem small to me compared to the potential losses with an injury reduced squad this early in the season, and not so to the money men at the club?. Klopp should not be repeatedly expected to make miracles with an injury ravaged core group of players. I much prefer the risk of a loss here than the risk of a first team player out, as it seems to have a domino effect on them.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2021, 12:27:41 pm »
It will be interesting to see what other teams do with their team selection. I think Bayern and Ajax are ready through.

Bayern is a good comparator. They have a number of players out (due to Covid isolation) and have a relatively tight battle at the top of the Bundesliga currently. They are also a similar size club to ourselves and have similar revenue.

Will Bayern pick their U23 side or will they be compelled to pick a rotated but still strong squad?

People will say they don't care about what Bayern (or others do) but I think it's important. Particularly when people will throw Jurgen or others under the bus if we play some of the 1st team regulars. I don't think it's feasible to start 4, 5 or 6 players from the U23 squad. That's what we'd need to potentially do to heavily rotate with 7-9 1st team squad members injured.

I just don't think there's a precedent in recent Champions League group games for already qualified clubs to play very weak starting XIs. That can't just be down to the prize money. There's got to be pressure for other aspects to ensure the vast majority of the starting  XI comes from your List A list of players.

If anyone does have an example of a CL team picking a starting XI with 4, 5 or 6 players with <10 1st team appearances individually then it would be good to know.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2021, 12:30:02 pm »
Why does the amount of money we get from a win here seem small to me compared to the potential losses with an injury reduced squad this early in the season, and not so to the money men at the club?. Klopp should not be repeatedly expected to make miracles with an injury ravaged core group of players. I much prefer the risk of a loss here than the risk of a first team player out, as it seems to have a domino effect on them.

It's a false economy. Obviously a win on Saturday is more important. That Jota injury last season nearly became a key contributor to us losing a CL place which is major loss of income. But these are owners who were willing to gamble on not signing any centre back through most of January last year.

Klopp shouldn't factor that into his team selection at all.

You pick a team capable of getting a result though. Sending a bunch of kids to Denmark last year, with no first teamers traveling, to get thrashed wouldn't have been right either.

I'd rather we rest as many as we can all the same.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2021, 12:59:19 pm »
Jota missed 19 games due his injury , easily could  have cost us our champions league spot this season , stupidity if we haven’t learned from it .

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2021, 12:59:32 pm »
I suggest Kloppo picks a RAWK XI for this tie.
Not many right wingers in here.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2021, 01:13:46 pm »
Klopp is asked about last time played a 'meaningless' game in CL and Jota got injured:

The Diogo situation was very unlucky. But would I have done the situation again, yes. You need stability. These things happen in football.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2021, 01:27:05 pm »
Thiago doing the press interview so expect he will be starting

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2021, 01:38:12 pm »
stupidity if we haven’t learned from it .

Everyone here would pick a severely weakened team. The risk versus reward isn’t really in favour of picking a full strength team. If a bunch of divvys on the internet can see that then I’m sure Klopp can.

Equally I don’t see Klopp being dictated what type of team he can pick for any game by anyone else at the club. Klopp works willingly within the constraints of the club but I just don’t envisage a situation where a suit at the club would tell him what team or strength of team to pick. If you think they would, and Klopp would listen and obey them, then fair enough.  Nothing that’s happened in the last 5 years or so would suggest anyone but Klopp has control of picking the XI.

Klopp has heavily rotated for domestic cup games. Even ina derby match he put out what was essentially a team of reserves plus a couple of squad players.

Got to ask why he wouldn’t do it for a CL game though. Why doesn’t any other manager whack out U23 teams in CL either?

Seriously what do people think the reasons are? And if it’s just prize money do you think Klopp is a stooge who’ll let non-footballing people dictate his team selection? Because he’s either a club stooge or ‘stupid’ if he picks a strong starting XI. Or there other factors ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:41:12 pm by Jookie »

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2021, 01:39:27 pm »
Agree with this, and the prize money for a win would be insignificant if injuries impacted on our progress in the knockout stages where the prize money for each round is massive. Everything is also interconnected - injuries in the champions league impacts on the premier league games, which stretches the squad for the cup competitions, and so on. Its a cumulative effect, as we found to our cost last season.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:41:00 pm by keyop »

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2021, 01:53:28 pm »

Klopp has heavily rotated for domestic cup games. Even ina derby match he put out what was essentially a team of reserves plus a couple of squad players.

Got to ask why he wouldn’t do it for a CL game though. Why doesn’t any other manager whack out U23 teams in CL either?

Seriously what do people think the reasons are? And if it’s just prize money do you think Klopp is a stooge who’ll let non-footballing people dictate his team selection? Because he’s either a club stooge or ‘stupid’ if he picks a strong starting XI. Or there other factors ?

Honestly, I think the biggest reason is that the players want to be involved in CL games, whether we're qualified or not. Mo Salah will want to be out there tomorrow to rack up some more goals, whereas he doesn't care about the League Cup.

But I do think we'll rotate quite heavily, largely because it's our only opportunity to do so in the mad festive schedule. That doesn't mean none of the senior players will be involved though, I think it'll be a mix.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2021, 01:58:24 pm »
It's a false economy. Obviously a win on Saturday is more important. That Jota injury last season nearly became a key contributor to us losing a CL place which is major loss of income. But these are owners who were willing to gamble on not signing any centre back through most of January last year.

Klopp shouldn't factor that into his team selection at all.

You pick a team capable of getting a result though. Sending a bunch of kids to Denmark last year, with no first teamers traveling, to get thrashed wouldn't have been right either.

I'd rather we rest as many as we can all the same.
Yawn. This is the Porto pre-match thread, not the 'Find another angle to be negative and criticise the owners thread'.

Oh wait, that's every thread for you.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2021, 02:04:18 pm »
Honestly, I think the biggest reason is that the players want to be involved in CL games, whether we're qualified or not. Mo Salah will want to be out there tomorrow to rack up some more goals, whereas he doesn't care about the League Cup.

But I do think we'll rotate quite heavily, largely because it's our only opportunity to do so in the mad festive schedule. That doesn't mean none of the senior players will be involved though, I think it'll be a mix.

Agree with this.

I think people underestimate tge desire of players lik Salah and Mane to play almost every minute of CL and PL football.

It’s why having 5 or 6 genuine 1st choice options for our forward line and rotating heavily (like City) wouldn’t work for us.  No way Salah or Mane would want to be left out of many games.

Personally I wouldn’t play Salah or Mane tomorrow but I don’t have to manage the players and find that delicate balance for squad harmony

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2021, 02:04:42 pm »
I much prefer the risk of a loss here than the risk of a first team player out

so you're saying that nobody from the first team squad should play.

are you serious?? :)

name the team you'd select then ....

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2021, 02:12:39 pm »
Yawn. This is the Porto pre-match thread, not the 'Find another angle to be negative and criticise the owners thread'.

Oh wait, that's every thread for you.

Indeed.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2021, 02:14:03 pm »
That's a lovely OP Stockdam.

So maybe:

Bradley Konate Phillips Milner

Again I’m struggling to guess who will play in midfield.

Henderson and Ox could play but would you risk them getting injured?
Jones and Keita may be available but even so I wouldn’t risk either of them.
Morton will probably start.

My guess is:

Morton Ox Dixon-Bonner

Up front i’m going to exclude Mane, Salah and Jota.

I think we have to risk Origi and Minamino just to give them a game…….that’s if Divok is fit.

Attackers could therefore be Divok, Minamino and Blair.

For me I reckon Kelleher to start,

Phillips and Ibra, Williams if fit (otherwise Bradley)  and Milner

Keita Morton with, if necessary, A combo of Hendo and Ox.

Divvie, Taki and Salah up front.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2021, 02:23:45 pm »
Thiago is probably starting since he did the pre match presser.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2021, 02:39:01 pm »
I’d probably go with a mix of first teamers, potentially those who need minutes coming back from injuries and some players who just need general gametime.

Quite like to see Kelleher in for example, he’s class, could do with the minutes and I cant see any negatives to giving Alisson a rest.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2021, 03:00:57 pm »
I don't think we'll see more than 4 changes, possibly 5 at a push.

Konate will step in for VVD though I'm guessing TAA will play to keep some continuity. Morton should come in for Fab. Taki or Origi (if fit) should be starting as well can't risk all 3 forwards for this game.

Having 5 subs is such a bonus in this situation, means we don't have to make everyone play 90mins who will play on Sat.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline VVM

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2021, 03:05:40 pm »
One of the hardest to predict this for sure. I'll go with the following:

Kelleher - Needs the game time and no harm in resting Alisson
Neco - Chance to rest Trent and for Neco to build upon his impressive international games
Konate - Needs the game time
Matip - I'd see one of Matip or Virgil playing and since Matip had a rest over internationals I'll go with him.
Tsimikas - Think him and Robertson will play a half each with Robbo coming back from injury
Ox - In decent form but game time might dry up a bit with other midfielders back from injury
Morton - Chance for a champions league debut and to rest Fab
Thiago - He did the press conference
Salah - Between him or Mane, Mane on a booking so I'll go with Salah
Origi - If he's feeling better
Minamino - Needs minutes

Kelleher
Neco - Konate - Matip - Tsimikas
Ox - Morton - Thiago
Salah - Origi - Minamino

Phillips might also be in with a shout to replace Matip in the second half I reckon

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2021, 03:07:45 pm »
Honest question …

What is the difference between (1) Player A plays today vs Porto, gets injured and misses 2 months versus (2) Player A does not play vs Porto, plays on Sat vs Southampton, gets injured and misses 2 months?
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline jc2002

• Main Stander
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2021, 03:13:16 pm »
How many yellows do you need for a suspension? If anyone is one away let him play and do a Dirk for the Milan game.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2021, 03:15:57 pm »
Honest question …

What is the difference between (1) Player A plays today vs Porto, gets injured and misses 2 months versus (2) Player A does not play vs Porto, plays on Sat vs Southampton, gets injured and misses 2 months?
In my opinion, because tomorrow night's result is irrelevant. It 'doesn't matter' if we win, lose or draw. We are already through as group winners.
It probably would make more sense to play the stronger team on Saturday, as we need the points.

I still think we'll only see 3/4 changes, mind you

Offline VVM

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2021, 03:22:50 pm »
How many yellows do you need for a suspension? If anyone is one away let him play and do a Dirk for the Milan game.

Do a Dirk?

Also it's 3 I think, think we have 2 or 3 on 1

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2021, 03:25:27 pm »
Still about £4m in prize money up for grabs in the next 2 games, there'll be changes but we'll still go strong in both games.