Author Topic: CC: PNE 0 vs 2 Liverpool 62’ Minamino 84’ Origi  (Read 13570 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
CC: PNE 0 vs 2 Liverpool 62’ Minamino 84’ Origi
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:41:45 pm »
                                                                  Preston North End v Liverpool, Wednesday 27th/10  (19:45)

League Cup 4th Round

Ref. David Coote
                                                                    Assistants Nick Hopton and Wade Smith
                                                                    Fourth Official : John Brooks

After the Lord Major’s show eh !!!!

Every club in England has history, their own cache of stories, of characters, fabled journeys of triumph and mostly failure. These tales breed loyalty, fascination, they inspire imagination. Preston North End are one such club. The name itself is kind of epic in a "great British western of the northlands” kind of way. Grey trench coats, flat caps, rattles, fags and very occasionally rosettes. Back in the days where everything was monochrome.

Take yourself back to the season 1953-54, post war, probably miserable. That was the last time Liverpool and PNE spent a season in the top flight together.

Liverpool trudged through a difficult season to storied grounds up and down the country, losing. From Roker and Ayresome Park to The Valley and Fratton park. From Ninian Park across to Bramall Lane. Closer to home they battled the Manchester clubs and a bunch of perennial division 1 stalwarts rung around Liverpool and the Northwest. Burnden Park in Bolton, Burnley’s Turfmoor, Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road and Deepdale home of the twice league champions, three time FA Cup winners and founder member of English Leagues, Preston North End. Liverpool themselves had 5 major honours to their name at that stage. They were clubs of equal stature.

Nat Lofthouse, Stan Mortenson, Stanley Matthews, all renowned footballers of that generation played for those Northern powerhouses. Burnley had one James Milner playing for them (I kid you not). Preston themselves had the services of Jimmy Baxter, famous Scottish footballer as well as Tom Finney one of the all-time greats and Tommy Docherty who excelled both on the field and off of it in years to come. (!)

Wolves won the league that season, West Brom the Cup. Liverpool came bottom of the league and slipped down to Division 2 where they languished until an no-nonsense, passionate, hard headed Scot ,who spent his career at Preston North End, arrived on Merseyside to revive and reconstruct Anfield and The Reds. Bill Shankly was his name.

Thank you Preston. You had a major hand in making us who we are.

Being Irish, (from Cork), Preston of today also interest me as the recently deceased owner, Eddie Hemmings, came close to buying my local club Cork City I believe. (He was also the owner of Trabolgan Holiday Village in east Cork). Current Irish international, Seanie Maguire, who plays up front for Preston was a central figure in the last Cork City team to win the League Of Ireland in 2017. He was a class apart as City won their first 17 competitive games that season. (There you go !!). He’s generally off the bench here along with fellow Irishman Greg Cunningham. Alan Browne, also a current Irish international was their captain in their latest match, a 2-0 defeat to Blackpool.
Ex-Liverpool Centre half and Irish international Mark Lawrenson is a Preston lad and fan, as is 100 Irish caps, Kevin Kilbane.

Preston and Liverpool have been trading centre halves of late. Ben Davies came our way and made quite an impression on the physio’s couch before heading off to Bramall Lane while Sepp Van Den Berg has been playing regularly at right back for them.

Preston are having a balanced season in the Championship. Last 10 games have been 2 wins, 2 losses and 6 draws. They are averaging just a goal a game though they have scored 4 in both previous rounds of the League Cup. They are amongst the lowest wage bills in the league and are perhaps in a spot of bother now, with Hemmings departed and the PNE frontman being none other than the infamous Peter Ridsdale (just ask any Leeds supporter).

Having a look at the fans reactions to Saturday’s defeat they are a bit miserable and negative but hey, we know how that goes and we win mostly.

We all know how we’ve been doing so  probably the big question is who is going to play ?

Well Nabi ain’t. Neither is James Milner, nor Thiago, Harvey Elliott or Fabinho either I suspect. Liverpool’s midfield takes over from the Centre Half slaughter of last season. So who do we have left ?

Kelleher (From Cork !),
Neco, Konaté, Gomez, Tsimikas,
Morton, Jones and Ox,
Taki, Divvie and Kaide Gordon

I reckon this is a good shout. One thing, I heard there are now 5 subs so I wonder if we mightn’t see a couple of the youngsters on the bench at the very least. I think Preston will give us more of a game than the headless numpties we played yesterday. They’ll be solid and workmanlike but that’s about it I think.

The capacity, I believe, will be 22,000. There will be a big Reds contingent travelling to Deepdale, just like the old days. I like the ground, steep terraces. It should be great craic and a decent night out for all concerned. Win and we’re in the last 8, for a change.
Note: Deepdale duck is a c*nt
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:26:28 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CC: PNE vs Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 06:43:10 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 07:12:23 pm »
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 07:43:26 pm »
The players are coming out. A reminder that young Tyler Morton and Harvey Blair are having their full debuts tonight. It's also a chance for the likes of Joe Gomez, and other players in the squad, to stake a claim. Also a word for the likes of Dixon-Bonner who is on the subs bench, is in pretty good form hope he gets on at some stage. A good crowd on a typical tough windy night.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 07:47:02 pm »
0 Liverpool kick off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 07:49:12 pm »
2 The game gets off to a quiet start. Preston play with a back three, we break from the back with Matip, who kicks the ball long, but it goes through to the keeper.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 07:50:49 pm »
3 We get a first glimpse of a half chance, when Curtis Jones jumps onto a lost ball, but Preston manage to tidy it up and it's safely in the hands of Rudd the keeper.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 07:53:06 pm »
4 Some good attacking play from us, Minamino is popping up all over the place, Neco puts in a half decent cross which comes back and ends up with Harvey Blair attempting a shot but it goes across the goal post. But it's all Liverpool at the moment, plenty of possession as expected.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 07:54:34 pm »
6 The first real attack ends up with Tsimikas putting in a ball down the left, but Origi doesn't give chase as it would have been offside.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 07:56:07 pm »
8 Some lovely play there between Jones and Minamino but eventually Preston clear and come up field with the ball briefly but we win back quite easily.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 07:56:29 pm »
Morton looking very solid so far.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 07:57:52 pm »
10 The first proper chance goes Preston's way after we lose the ball, but the striker cannot keep the ball down and it goes over the bar.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 07:58:39 pm »
Morton looking very solid so far.

He is a lovely player Tyler has always impressed me and he is never undaunted either.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 08:00:07 pm »
12 Some nice play there from Chamberlain as he ghosts past a couple of defenders but the ball is just a little bit too hard and it goes out. I think it's true to say some of those who haven't played for a while, are a bit rusty early doors. But it will come.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 08:02:20 pm »
15 Preston have a good defensive system and its asking questions of our attacking players. Minamino forces the issue there and his ball goes out for a Preston goal kick.

Over to Tepid.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 08:03:49 pm »
15 big cross from Tsimikas and the Preston defender makes a bit of a Horlicks of it.

Preston have a long throw at the other end.  There’s a volley from the edge of the area but it’s sky high
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 08:06:58 pm »
20 Chamberlin has a shot from 25 yards but it cannons of their defender.

Corner to the reds. It passes about 6 in the area and eventually goes out of play.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 08:07:58 pm »
21 cross from the right by Origi but it’s just over Blair’s head.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 08:08:21 pm »
So, so close.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 08:10:38 pm »
24 Chamberlin seems to have a problem with his foot.   Dear god

W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 08:12:42 pm »
25 Preston break up a Liverpool attack, a quick ball is played and they have a player clear, his shot is parried behind by Adrian.

The corner is recycled and goes back post, they have a chance to score but he’s offside.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 08:13:53 pm »
Some really good defensive play by us there the way we squeezed them, that's how you defend United.  ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 08:15:22 pm »
28 bloody Nora.

Gomez gives it away in the final third.

It’s squared and Adrian saves well

The rebound is fired at goal and cannons off Williams’ head and clear. What a clearance on the goal line!

W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 08:16:14 pm »
Neco was brilliant there, especially with getting up and standing on the line there. Not sure he knew much about the clearance though, good work from Adrian as well.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »
Superb from Neco
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 08:16:27 pm »
Some really good defensive play by us there the way we squeezed them, that's how you defend United.  ;D
Good defensive play?

Understatement of the season.

HTF did they not score?

:wellin

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 08:17:18 pm »
Over to Sir Bob
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 08:17:53 pm »
31 Lovely slalom run by Ox but his shot is charged down as he enters the box

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 08:18:06 pm »
Come on lads - run at them

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 08:20:00 pm »
33 A long throw into the box causes confusion and Neco concedes a corner which we clear. 

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 08:23:05 pm »
36 Quick free kick catches us out and it’s another corner to Preston. They’re targeting our left side. Corner played in but it’s too long and drifts out for a throw.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 08:23:08 pm »
We are struggling with a lack of fluidity at the moment, too many players still look a bit of the pace and with Preston having so many back there is little space to operate in.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 08:25:38 pm »
Feed the full backs, that’s where the space is.
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 08:28:43 pm »
42 We’ve got the majority of the possession again but not creating anything. Preston looking comfortable and compact.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 08:30:00 pm »
42 We’ve got the majority of the possession again but not creating anything. Preston looking comfortable and compact.

Like Tepid said before, hopefully the message about using the full backs will be passed on.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 08:30:34 pm »
44 Morton with a lovely through ball into the box but it just evades the run of Ox and the keeper collects.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 08:32:06 pm »
HT 0-0 No time added on

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 08:48:06 pm »
45 The teams are out for the second half, Nat Phillips on for Joel Matip. Preston get us underway. Just to say the change was pre-planned.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2021, 08:49:31 pm »
Morton really does distribute the ball well, chooses good passes and plays balls to the correct foot with the right weight that his teammates can use. Superb technique.

No idea if he will eventually come through for us, but he'll play somewhere at the top level, I think...
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 08:49:44 pm »
46 The first chance for us in the second half Chamberlain puts a ball through to Minamino but it goes well wide.