Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 369018 times)

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
Re: Television buying
« Reply #5480 on: March 23, 2022, 10:19:17 pm »
Just bought the Sony A80J 65". Beautiful picture, works great with the PS5

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5481 on: March 28, 2022, 10:27:14 am »
My LG C1 65" was delivered last night, and it's a revelation regarding picture quality, simply amazing after using an LED screen for years. I managed to give Horizon Forbidden West on the PS5 a go; Jesus, it looks like a different game; it was amazing on my old 4K LED LG, but it is mind blowing on the C1.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5482 on: March 28, 2022, 10:23:55 pm »
My LG C1 65" was delivered last night, and it's a revelation regarding picture quality, simply amazing after using an LED screen for years. I managed to give Horizon Forbidden West on the PS5 a go; Jesus, it looks like a different game; it was amazing on my old 4K LED LG, but it is mind blowing on the C1.
Oleds are incredible. If it’s possible to get one and everybody’s situation is different but if you can, you should.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5483 on: March 29, 2022, 10:13:09 am »
Fuckers you lot. Too many glowing reviews of the C1, going to get one.

I'm stuck on what to do though. My existing Sony 49" XF80 sits on top of a Sonos Playbase. The base plate on the 65" LG C1 is wider than the Playbase, I think it'll look shit and annoy me. It's also probably over the weight limit for the Playbase. I could get this TV stand, designed for the Playbase, however on my TV unit, the Playbase is exactly the same depth as the TV unit, so this looks like it would overhang on the back and I wouldn't want it to tip back?

I could replace the Playbase with the Arc, but reviews say there's not as much bass on the Arc so then I'd need the sub, and that's another £1k+ onto the total cost and if doing that might as well just get the C2 which has a narrower stand.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5484 on: March 29, 2022, 12:20:49 pm »
Mate, this is weird, just bought an ARC to go with the new C1 ... :o
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #5485 on: March 29, 2022, 12:55:49 pm »
Bought a 65" QN90A. The quality is beautiful. Stuck the F1 on a couple of days in UHD and you could feel the massive difference compared to my previous TV.

Paid £1165+VAT for it and also got a speaker and subwoofer for £332.50 +VAT. Total came to nearly £1800 including VAT. I should be eligible to claim £300 back on the TV soon from Samsung and £200 for the Speaker.

Works out pretty reasonably once I get the cashback.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5486 on: March 30, 2022, 07:20:00 am »
Mate, this is weird, just bought an ARC to go with the new C1 ... :o

What’s the Arc like? (Although I’ve realised it wouldn’t solve my issue as I think the Arc would cover the lower part of the TV screen if placed in front of the C1?)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:40:20 am by Graeme »

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #5487 on: March 30, 2022, 05:25:12 pm »
What’s the Arc like? (Although I’ve realised it wouldn’t solve my issue as I think the Arc would cover the lower part of the TV screen if placed in front of the C1?)

My soundbar is quite tall (and the C1 stand isn't), so I just went for the very low tech solution of buying an Ikea wall shelf (I think it was the LACK one) and putting it on top of my TV stand for the TV to sit on.

You can't see the shelf from the viewing position anyway as the soundbar is taller than it.

As you say though the C2 has a narrower but taller stand so a lot easier to manage around, but is obviously likely to be a lot more expensive for a fair while.

Worth flagging though that I think most of the C1 offers have now ended, although they will no doubt return soon with the C2 launch well underway
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:29:20 pm by filopastry »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5488 on: March 30, 2022, 06:12:09 pm »
Yeah I’ve been researching and I’ve seen people using the IKEA Lack shelf. There’s one that appears to be about the same footprint as the C1 base.

I had a 0% for 17 months credit card from the bank which has just finished the interest free period and I’ve now paid off, so I’ve opened another from the bank but it’s not arrived yet. I’m hopeful there will be some more offers coming up. LG want distributors and retailers to stock the C2, so there will almost be some rebates offered by LG to clear their C1 stock.

I’m just going to place it on top of the Playbase at first and see how it looks. If it annoys me then I’ll look at a later date to replace the Playbase with the Arc and put the C1 onto a IKEA Lack shelf.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5489 on: April 5, 2022, 07:47:16 am »

It covers the stand not the screen… on the 65” screen.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2022, 07:52:13 am by kopite321 »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5490 on: April 5, 2022, 05:58:24 pm »
Are you certain? I’ve seen loads of people on Reddit discuss this issue saying that the Sonos Arc will block the lower part of the screen on an LG C1. Looking at the photos it certainly seems to be the case. Most buy the IKEA Lack shelf to sit the C1 on to raise it over the Arc..

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/kk2qzx/lg_65_c9_sonos_arc_sl_costco_ikea_lack_shelf/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5491 on: April 18, 2022, 09:36:10 am »
Are you certain? I’ve seen loads of people on Reddit discuss this issue saying that the Sonos Arc will block the lower part of the screen on an LG C1. Looking at the photos it certainly seems to be the case. Most buy the IKEA Lack shelf to sit the C1 on to raise it over the Arc..

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/kk2qzx/lg_65_c9_sonos_arc_sl_costco_ikea_lack_shelf/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Sorry mate, my fault; I was referencing the wrong sound bar ... Sony Atomos not ARC, apologies again.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5492 on: April 18, 2022, 09:53:20 am »
No worries. Got my Arc and LG C1 arriving this week and have the ikea shelf ready :D

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5493 on: April 18, 2022, 11:43:31 am »
No worries. Got my Arc and LG C1 arriving this week and have the ikea shelf ready :D

Good stuff, you won't regret it ! ;)

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5494 on: April 18, 2022, 12:23:15 pm »
I might if the Arc bass isn’t to my liking and I have to fork out for a Sub on top :D

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5495 on: April 18, 2022, 12:35:31 pm »
I might if the Arc bass isn’t to my liking and I have to fork out for a Sub on top :D

Well yes I just meant the TV, I take no responsibility for your soundbar choice! ;D ;D

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5496 on: April 20, 2022, 04:14:47 pm »
LG C1 and Arc all set up. The C1 is outstanding I have to say. Very pleased with the Arc too, haven’t even tuned it yet but sound is excellent.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5497 on: April 23, 2022, 12:15:47 pm »
I am glad to hear it has lived up to expectations, Graeme!

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5498 on: April 23, 2022, 04:43:46 pm »
I am glad to hear it has lived up to expectations, Graeme!

I hadn’t actually used it much in the first few days, been quite busy but now having actually sat down and watched some HDR content, it’s staggeringly good. On my Sony XF80, HDR actually used to annoy me, I always felt it looked washed out and I could never get it right but on the C1, wow!

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5499 on: April 27, 2022, 10:05:41 am »
The LG C1 is a stunning tv, and I have the PS5 hooked up to it. I took delivery of a few 4K HDR Blu-ray discs last week:- Dune, Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet 2 and Lord of the Rings extended version. The picture quality is mind-blowing.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5500 on: April 27, 2022, 10:08:22 am »
Yeah I'm stunned by the quality as well

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5501 on: May 2, 2022, 11:42:46 am »
my 3 year old decided to push over and break our tv so looking for a new one in the 400-500 quid range. looking at getting this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/UE50AU9000-Crystal-UHD-HDR-Smart/dp/B08Y72CH1D?th=1 unless someone has better recommendations? for the family but also some gaming for me.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2022, 11:54:01 am by LiverLuke »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5502 on: May 5, 2022, 09:11:47 am »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5503 on: May 5, 2022, 09:14:25 am »
my 3 year old decided to push over and break our tv so looking for a new one in the 400-500 quid range

Have you contacted the council? I think you can adopt them but I don’t think you have to pay, they pay you I think.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5504 on: May 5, 2022, 01:20:30 pm »
my 3 year old decided to push over and break our tv so looking for a new one in the 400-500 quid range.

Are you selling the current 3 year old to top you the amount you can spend or are you having to give that one away due to their destructive tendancies?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5505 on: May 5, 2022, 11:29:59 pm »
Samsungs now probably have the Steam Link app so you can stream games to your telly

TVs have a USB socket. Game pads can be bought on USB. I do this for football manager days on the couch with an old trackball plugged into the Samsung lol its great

Suppose you could watch stuff also

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5506 on: May 6, 2022, 09:19:55 am »
Is anybody elses Apple TV app going really slow on the Samsung TV? Tried to start Severance last night but I'm stuck on the Apple TV logo when you first load it up,

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #5507 on: May 6, 2022, 11:18:11 pm »
I’ve been looking for a new tv for living room. I’m not massively into features and mainly use sky q for apps but have a fire stick . Current tv is a Panasonic prob mid range price at the time but 11 years old now. Changing living room new couches furniture

I’ve seen a 2021 samsung model for about £800 and the 2022 one is £1400 or £1500 long are the older models usually available for as prob not looking to get it till room refurnished in July

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5508 on: May 6, 2022, 11:51:18 pm »
I’ve been looking for a new tv for living room. I’m not massively into features and mainly use sky q for apps but have a fire stick . Current tv is a Panasonic prob mid range price at the time but 11 years old now. Changing living room new couches furniture

I’ve seen a 2021 samsung model for about £800 and the 2022 one is £1400 or £1500 long are the older models usually available for as prob not looking to get it till room refurnished in July

Depends on stock levels and what offers are given to shift the older models. If you’re definitely changing then I’d get one in the next few weeks as more offers on the 2021 sets will be appearing. For example the 55” LG C1 was £889 at Richer Sounds for a few days which is a fantastic price for it. Samsung have some decent offers on if you go via their EPP / Student portal. You’ll pay a premium on the 2022 models that are just coming out and they won’t be discounted for quite a while.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5509 on: May 7, 2022, 02:03:55 am »
Yeah get a 2021 oled now if they are still available. The bigger you get you won’t regret. If you can fit bigger than 55 do it. Never heard of anyone say their tv is too big.

I’m like some cheesy tv sales man in this thread at this point.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5510 on: May 7, 2022, 02:11:06 am »
Just to add the differences from one year to another are tiny. Even if you put two side by side you’d struggle to see any difference. There has been zero huge upgrades year to year for a while now. Most notable changes have been in gaming but that was a couple of years ago so that’s not an issue. The rest is marketing.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5511 on: May 7, 2022, 09:23:09 am »
Depends on stock levels and what offers are given to shift the older models. If you’re definitely changing then I’d get one in the next few weeks as more offers on the 2021 sets will be appearing. For example the 55” LG C1 was £889 at Richer Sounds for a few days which is a fantastic price for it. Samsung have some decent offers on if you go via their EPP / Student portal. You’ll pay a premium on the 2022 models that are just coming out and they won’t be discounted for quite a while.

55C1 is back to that price at Costco today, so I would guess you will see discounts again at Richer Sounds imminently

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5512 on: May 13, 2022, 07:13:18 pm »
I have a 55" LG OLED (OLED55B8SLC 4K) TV and I've noticed when watching footy that when the ball is moving fast it almost seems to go invisible for a few frames while it is moving. Is this just a limitation of my TV or am I watching in the wrong mode or something?

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5514 on: May 16, 2022, 08:12:22 pm »
I have a 55" LG OLED (OLED55B8SLC 4K) TV and I've noticed when watching footy that when the ball is moving fast it almost seems to go invisible for a few frames while it is moving. Is this just a limitation of my TV or am I watching in the wrong mode or something?

Like in the link that kopite posted above, it sounds like judder.  I had heard of it, but never seen it until I was looking at TVs last weekend. Once you’ve seen the judder you’re constantly looking for it.  I saw it on a scene where waves were breaking in the sea and certain scenes were like the wave stopped for a second and then carried on.

The OLED TVs have fantastic picture quality and deep blacks, but I couldn’t put up with it, especially for what OLEDs cost.

I was on the verge of getting the C1, but either going to wait and see what this years C2 is like, or stick with LCD and go down the Sony X90J, or Samsung QN94 route.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5515 on: May 20, 2022, 12:18:52 pm »
I really like my X94J, but I am so tempted by a C1.  Wondering who/what I can sell to get the 65"

Offline pw1008

• Kopite

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5517 on: May 21, 2022, 10:38:29 am »
yes

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5518 on: May 31, 2022, 10:58:18 pm »
Anybody got the or seen the lg a1? Seen the above regarding the C1 but the A1 is a fair bit cheaper (£719 for the 55) so that’s tempting me. I’m not a gamer and as far as I can see, that seems to be the biggest difference between the models.

Or any other recommendations? Looking to spend no more than £700 (will go that little bit more  for the a1 if it’s worth it). I want a 65 inch if possible but I know 55 is the biggest I can get for my budget if I really want an OLED. Got an LG Nanocell atm which I think is a great tv, the new one tv is for the extension we’re having done, not to replace the nanocell.

I’d seen a really good price on a Samsung qled but when I went to see them in the shop, I was very underwhelmed. But then it was sandwiched between the lg a1 and lg b1 ;D

Don’t feel like you get a true feel of what it’s like in the shop compared to what it’s like in your own home though so open to suggestions!

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5519 on: June 1, 2022, 05:34:41 am »
Anybody got the or seen the lg a1? Seen the above regarding the C1 but the A1 is a fair bit cheaper (£719 for the 55) so that’s tempting me. I’m not a gamer and as far as I can see, that seems to be the biggest difference between the models.

Or any other recommendations? Looking to spend no more than £700 (will go that little bit more  for the a1 if it’s worth it). I want a 65 inch if possible but I know 55 is the biggest I can get for my budget if I really want an OLED. Got an LG Nanocell atm which I think is a great tv, the new one tv is for the extension we’re having done, not to replace the nanocell.

I’d seen a really good price on a Samsung qled but when I went to see them in the shop, I was very underwhelmed. But then it was sandwiched between the lg a1 and lg b1 ;D

Don’t feel like you get a true feel of what it’s like in the shop compared to what it’s like in your own home though so open to suggestions!

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/lg-a1-oled-price-release-date-specs-sizes