Author Topic: the Division 2  (Read 994 times)

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
the Division 2
« on: April 28, 2022, 03:07:48 pm »
(apologies if already a topic)

Been gaming with a mate of mine for years, (mostly MMOs and RPGs and a few shooters), looking for something 'new' and he came across this on offer, (greenman gaming or somesuch).

Of, perhaps, similar games, I've, (we've), played Outriders a bit, which I found a bit ... meh, but ok. I've got a shitton of hours is Destiny 2, (I kinda miss the Crucible), and many, many more.

Currently taking a break from New World and recently started Escape from Tarkov, (enjoying it). I generally look for some PvP in the online games I play, my mate not so much..

I've heard the PvP in this game is, well, not very good, but at least there's an option for it..

Hows the co-op? Or is it more 'enjoyable' solo?

So, any quick thoughts on the game lads'n lasses? Or other shooters you'd recommend?

Thanks.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: the Division 2
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 10:36:24 am »
Haven't played division 2 so can't comment on it, but can heartily recommend Ghost Recon Wildlands for either a co-op or single player experience.  PVP is pretty decent too, but not the strongest aspect of the game in my opinion.  The map of Bolivia is beautiful and varied and looks absolutely stunning at times on PC.  I've had it on my hard-drive forever and always come back to it because it's just such damned good fun. Ubisoft's best open-world game in my opinion.  Best played with the HUD off, which is when it becomes a really immersive experience. 

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 12:09:42 pm »
I haven't played it for about six months, eventually it gets a bit repetitive but that's after hours and hours (think I put around 80 hours into it).  I didn't really bother with the pvp but the online co-op is really well done, you can just drop in and help other agents out and it's handy being able to call out when it gets tough.  The Warlords Of New York  expansion is worth getting.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 12:21:08 pm »
Played loads and loads of this with mates. The expansion is definitely worth it as well.

It's a loot-based grinder, but the gameplay is solid and the variety of builds you can work towards is huge. Adds loads of playability I felt, especially if you can get one or two solid co-op partners to run the various activities with you.

Negatives - the PVP isn't great, darkzones can be a nightmare without a co-op group/top tier build/serious gaming skills. Enemies and bosses can be a bit bullet spongey.

Not sure what it's going for price-wise at the moment, but if you enjoy the Destiny loop, like I did, then this would be a solid purchase imo.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 01:33:02 pm »
I played hundreds of hours of this (mostly co-op with 2 mates) during lockdown, but you can sneak about on your own quite easily. It really is like an mmo such as Elder Scrolls where you level up & try to improve your builds by getting elite gear. The locations are amazing. We gave up after it just became repetitive, offering nothing new, but we’d definitely play the division 3 if it comes along.
PvP really annoyed us though. I got to about level 1500 after a few months play, but that counts for nothing in the dz. I stopped playing about last September & even by then I’d seen guys if level 10k plus. Their characters only getting incremental improvements. However it does become tiresome when you are ganked by a group of much stronger players. Theirs definitely a different degree of jeopardy in there, you get a buzz off it, just not sure its worth it. Of course pvp is not compulsory & the bots off a sliding scale of challenges. The trouble with the PvP imho is that there really were only minor variations on the one meta build that are successful in it. So building all sorts of support builds is futile. I definitely recommend the game in general though, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 06:01:49 pm »
I played hundreds of hours of this (mostly co-op with 2 mates) during lockdown, but you can sneak about on your own quite easily. It really is like an mmo such as Elder Scrolls where you level up & try to improve your builds by getting elite gear. The locations are amazing. We gave up after it just became repetitive, offering nothing new, but we’d definitely play the division 3 if it comes along.
PvP really annoyed us though. I got to about level 1500 after a few months play, but that counts for nothing in the dz. I stopped playing about last September & even by then I’d seen guys if level 10k plus. Their characters only getting incremental improvements. However it does become tiresome when you are ganked by a group of much stronger players. Theirs definitely a different degree of jeopardy in there, you get a buzz off it, just not sure its worth it. Of course pvp is not compulsory & the bots off a sliding scale of challenges. The trouble with the PvP imho is that there really were only minor variations on the one meta build that are successful in it. So building all sorts of support builds is futile. I definitely recommend the game in general though, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole.

Agree with all of this pretty much, even though I haven't played it for quite so long. Was basically playing it solo except for random groups sometimes in missions and I think even in the  DZ a  few times. I didn't really get into the whole endgame stuff, because it became  stale at one point, would imagine it takes longer for that  to happen, if you're playing with mates. DZ really adds excitement, because you're running around with loot you really want to extract and every second some twat could jump you. Cannot really comment on the  state of the  game now, because I played it almost right after it was released and  haven't really followed what happened since.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 05:14:59 pm »
First of, thanks for the replies folks, appreciated.

Sounds pretty much what I've read elsewhere, it's a decent enough game, the PvP is kinda rubbish but the game will grow stale - perhaps earlier than other games.

It's on sale for £15ish - wony included, so probably gonna go for it.

Thanks again.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2022, 08:18:43 am »
With WONY you'll definitely get £15 worth, if I didn't own it I'd buy it for that.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 12:43:24 am »
New content dropping for this later today, new season pass thingy and new modes etc.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 08:45:07 am »
New content dropping for this later today, new season pass thingy and new modes etc.
Might have a look.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 12:10:41 pm »
Fair fucks to Ubi for continuing to support The Division 2...and gratis, very unlike them.  They have that free to play spinoff coming out this year so perhaps they're trying to garner a bit of goodwill.  I'll give it a look.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 12:30:34 pm »
Think Division 1 was a nudge better, though also enjoyed Division 2 with a few fiends. It does get repetitive after many hours, as with any game, though expansion does help a little.

Main issue is the utter abundance of loot drops that almost always end up being crunched. You literally spend 15-20 mins just crunching the previous nights loot, which is a bit annoying. Most of what you pick up doesn't help or improve you whatsoever.

Also worth mentioning Ghost Recons Wildlands, very slick.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 01:40:58 am »
Think Division 1 was a nudge better, though also enjoyed Division 2 with a few fiends. It does get repetitive after many hours, as with any game, though expansion does help a little.

Main issue is the utter abundance of loot drops that almost always end up being crunched. You literally spend 15-20 mins just crunching the previous nights loot, which is a bit annoying. Most of what you pick up doesn't help or improve you whatsoever.

Also worth mentioning Ghost Recons Wildlands, very slick.
Wildlands is a great game.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 01:53:14 pm »
First of, apologies for the thread-necro.

Buuut. Back in this. And I gotta say, seems they've added a fair few things. Fairly big patch recently aswell - game seems alive and healthy.

Others?
@Yvanicuzz

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 02:03:32 pm »
I’ve been playing this again for a few weeks: level 3000ish. Amazed when I got back on there were folks over 20k! We’ve started a wee (modest) clan and play a few days a week. Mostly PvE as we get wiped out in the DZ.
The big patch will be operation resolve. I think. Lots of fixes and rebalancing. The expertise/tinkering has been adjusted. They also keep running new seasons and manhunts. Rumours are that there will be new DLC set in Brooklyn before Div3 appears (could be years).
I enjoy playing with my mates (who are diverse to say the least!) but the most fun I have in the game is the search for the mythical (bloody impossible) greatest build ever (tm) and going on little missions to find the parts for them. I’ve got the full complement of 16 on my main and often swap in new ones. Also running WONY again with a backup.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2024, 07:50:29 pm »
Fuck you guys. Back playing this again. Sadly only level 12 or something like that at the moment, as I played this on console before when it came out and it seems progress isn't cross-platform. Still, having fun levelling up at the moment.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 6, 2024, 11:33:04 am »
Get your finger out, Stoa.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 7, 2024, 10:38:00 pm »
Level 23 now. What's the deal with markman rifles in this? I'm getting pretty good with them, but I seem to remember that I had the same thing when I was first playing it on console, but they were pretty useless in the end. Is that still the same?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 8, 2024, 12:21:49 pm »
Level 23 now. What's the deal with markman rifles in this? I'm getting pretty good with them, but I seem to remember that I had the same thing when I was first playing it on console, but they were pretty useless in the end. Is that still the same?

I find them underwhelming. The ones in Ghost Recon had more impact. I’ve been working on a rifle/marksman build just for the sheer damage output: you can get 11-12m back to back headshots. However it all tends to go out the window when in combat, especially with a team. The suppression really affects play with a marksman rifle, and your team can rack up much better dps kills before you’ve even finished your mag. I like “The White Death” named marksman rifle, but it wavers a bit. The Nemesis exotic is fun and can put up huge damage, but I find they’re only really good in solo play and you might need something like a striker drone to draw aggro.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 8, 2024, 12:55:59 pm »
Yeah, that's kind of how I remember it from my first experience. Currently using the turret and a healing drone and like it. However, I miss the pulse-thingy that shows you enemies. I used the turret/pulse-combo almost exclusively when I first played this and started out with it again this time. Still miss the possibility to use pulse and see the enemies, but the turret shows them as well in a more limited way and with the healing thingy seems the better combo.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 8, 2024, 12:59:07 pm »
I’ve been using the Sharpshooter specific Spotter Drone-send it ahead of you to pulse the enemies. It *should* work well with the Flatline talent ( +15% to damage on pulsed enemies).

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 04:34:29 pm »
Finally level 30 and World Tier up to 3 already. Still getting a bit bored with it... ;)

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 04:38:41 pm »
You’ve got Warlords of New York? Once you reach 40 and get Keeners Watch things will open up for you and you’ll get better gear and have fun putting builds together. I’ve added a second character to mule for me.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2024, 12:09:44 am »
Yeah. That's basically what I'm going for. Get the main game to World Tier 5, do the New York thingy and then make a proper build.