Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 585545 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3360 on: May 11, 2022, 01:37:57 pm »
Think he's definitely a midfielder, doesn't have the speed for our frontline.

He's a weird one, glides past people in the middle third of the pitch, creates space, and then doesn't really make much happen when he gets to the final third.  Think it'll come, but his decision making is a little off.

He's great at creating opportunities for himself, but not so much others.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #3361 on: May 17, 2022, 09:45:17 pm »
Worra performance dat woz den.

You’d think he was a seasoned campaigner in the second half.
AHA!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3362 on: May 17, 2022, 09:46:16 pm »
Thought he looked great tonight, great dribbling and more going the ball forward quick.

Imagine not rating him or being arrogant enough to say you’ve given up him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3363 on: May 17, 2022, 09:46:17 pm »
Great stuff

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3364 on: May 17, 2022, 09:49:07 pm »
Really good second half from Curtis, when he's positive on the ball he's a completely different player.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3365 on: May 17, 2022, 09:50:30 pm »
Really good game i thought,boy's got some moves  :)

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3366 on: May 17, 2022, 09:52:47 pm »
Really good second half from Curtis, when he's positive on the ball he's a completely different player.

He needs to take the brake off, I don’t know why but he’s playing within himself

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3367 on: May 17, 2022, 09:53:37 pm »
Good game today.  Just wish he'd play the obvious pass more often, instead of trying the unexpected one.

Online jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #3368 on: May 17, 2022, 09:54:24 pm »
Carries the ball well and has the physicality to hold players off. Decent player.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3369 on: May 17, 2022, 09:56:30 pm »
I think one of Klopps projects might be to get him passing quicker

He’s got to do it to progress. Seems to be looking for a moment to shine

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3370 on: May 17, 2022, 09:59:08 pm »
I think one of Klopps projects might be to get him passing quicker

He’s got to do it to progress. Seems to be looking for a moment to shine
Yeah but I like the fact that he's becoming more and more assertive. He also made some good dribbles.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3371 on: May 17, 2022, 10:02:21 pm »
He was great tonight :D :duh
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3372 on: May 17, 2022, 10:03:43 pm »
This is what I was hinting at in my earlier post, there's often (but not always) a lack of economy in his game.  A good example is when he's pressed with his back to goal in midfield and could just pop it off to the centre backs and get us moving again, but instead nearly always chooses to hold onto the ball and try and turn the player pressing him.  Just pass and move.

But he was very good today and put in a great shift in the middle of the park when we really needed it.

Online Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3373 on: May 17, 2022, 10:04:14 pm »
Great player hindered by quality options ahead of him. Would start for most teams in the league. He's got pretty much everything you look for in a #8 really.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3374 on: May 17, 2022, 10:04:54 pm »
Even if there are few wrinkles to be ironed out in his game, he has plenty of time for that to happen.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3375 on: May 17, 2022, 10:06:09 pm »
He had a good game but he does drive me nuts with how greedy he can be shooting from distance constantly. Think he really needs to life his head up a bit more in the final 3rd before always shooting.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3376 on: May 17, 2022, 10:07:41 pm »
He had a good game but he does drive me nuts with how greedy he can be shooting from distance constantly. Think he really needs to life his head up a bit more in the final 3rd before always shooting.
He had three shots, two from outside the box, hardly constantly.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:10:04 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3377 on: May 17, 2022, 10:12:05 pm »
They were all decent shooting opportunities and we lacked movement inside the box tonight; Minamino doesn't make the sort of runs Mane/Salah do, Firmino's movement is more outside the box and Jota looked jaded. Jones played really well.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3378 on: May 17, 2022, 10:15:00 pm »
This is what I was hinting at in my earlier post, there's often (but not always) a lack of economy in his game.  A good example is when he's pressed with his back to goal in midfield and could just pop it off to the centre backs and get us moving again, but instead nearly always chooses to hold onto the ball and try and turn the player pressing him.  Just pass and move.

But he was very good today and put in a great shift in the middle of the park when we really needed it.

Beating the press is a bad thing? Thiago is often doing that little shimmy to beat the press. If your midfielders never do that you never progress the ball.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #3379 on: May 17, 2022, 10:16:38 pm »
Class tonight, really silky on the ball. Valuable squad member.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3380 on: May 17, 2022, 10:18:02 pm »
Beating the press is a bad thing?

That's not what I'm saying.  He's great at dropping his shoulder and turning on the ball to open up space, but he also has a tendency to hold on to the ball when a player is right up behind him and he's facing his own centre backs.  In those instances, I'd prefer he just pop it off to the defender and spin off whoever is pressing him to create an angle.  Instead, he tends to try and shimmy away from the presser, which rarely works and eventually ends up with him having to play it back to his centre backs anyway.

Minor quibbles, though.  He had a good game today and it's great that you can see his work rate matches his flair on the ball.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3381 on: May 17, 2022, 10:19:18 pm »
Class tonight, really silky on the ball. Valuable squad member.

He was really good tonight. In one move he had 4 players around him but came away with the ball. He was always looking for the attacking pass. Best I have seen him play this year.
#JFT97

Offline blamski

• Main Stander
  • its weird, isn't it?
« Reply #3382 on: May 17, 2022, 10:19:50 pm »
He's always been a very promising young player, but recently his style seems much more Thiagoey. That aility to receive the ball and beat a man almost in the same movement. I reckon there's a bit of mentoring going on there.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3383 on: May 17, 2022, 10:21:28 pm »
He had three shots, two from outside the box, hardly constantly.

How many times has Curtis scored from outside the box this season and how many shots has he taken? 3 shots from a midfielder in one game is actually quite a lot. Was literally %20 of our shots from one player? 1/5??

But yea dude he totally doesnt constantly do it, totally.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3384 on: May 17, 2022, 10:21:35 pm »
Curtis would be one of those players who wouldn't want the season to end. He's getting better with every game he plays.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3385 on: May 17, 2022, 10:24:59 pm »
Excellent today. Keep it up!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3386 on: May 17, 2022, 10:28:00 pm »
How many times has Curtis scored from outside the box this season and how many shots has he taken? 3 shots from a midfielder in one game is actually quite a lot. Was literally %20 of our shots from one player? 1/5??

We had 24 shots and he had 3, that’s 12.5% of our shots so still not constantly and not 20%. He’s only averaging 1.89 shots/90min too.

Elliot also had three shots, Milner two, are they shooting too much too dude?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:31:09 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3387 on: May 17, 2022, 10:31:47 pm »
We had 24 shots and he had 3, that’s 12.5% of our shots so still not constantly and not 20%.

Elliot also had three shots, Milner two, are they shooting too much too dude?
And Elliott was only on the pitch for 65 minutes. The midfielders were taking shots because that's where many of the opportunities were, with Southampton playing such a deep back five.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3388 on: May 17, 2022, 10:35:55 pm »
And Elliott was only on the pitch for 65 minutes. The midfielders were taking shots because that's where many of the opportunities were, with Southampton playing such a deep back five.
I mean it’s a crazy accusation, Jones is averaging 0.3 more shots per 90 minutes than Thiago. He’s hardly shooting ‘constantly’.

And I think it’s worth noting he has got a terrific long shot on him so nothing wrong with having a dig every now and again.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3389 on: May 17, 2022, 10:58:22 pm »

Not sure what your problem is,he will be told to shoot when the opportunities present themselves,usually because other players are making the space.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #3390 on: May 17, 2022, 11:01:53 pm »
Great performance. He clearly has another level or two to go up, much more to come.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3391 on: May 17, 2022, 11:08:16 pm »

That is how you break pressure and create Space. He very good at this, the top of the top of MFs do this too, this is strength.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3392 on: May 17, 2022, 11:09:33 pm »
Great Performance tonight. I expect him to keep improving but he has all the quality of being a Starter for the next 10 years plus.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3393 on: May 17, 2022, 11:10:22 pm »
I mean it’s a crazy accusation, Jones is averaging 0.3 more shots per 90 minutes than Thiago. He’s hardly shooting ‘constantly’.

And I think it’s worth noting he has got a terrific long shot on him so nothing wrong with having a dig every now and again.

Had to try different things as we weren't getting joy just crossing, at least until more aerial threat with Div.

I thought Elliott and Jones did well.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3394 on: May 17, 2022, 11:16:15 pm »
That's not what I'm saying.  He's great at dropping his shoulder and turning on the ball to open up space, but he also has a tendency to hold on to the ball when a player is right up behind him and he's facing his own centre backs.  In those instances, I'd prefer he just pop it off to the defender and spin off whoever is pressing him to create an angle.  Instead, he tends to try and shimmy away from the presser, which rarely works and eventually ends up with him having to play it back to his centre backs anyway.

Minor quibbles, though.  He had a good game today and it's great that you can see his work rate matches his flair on the ball.

I've noticed that he doesn't necessarily hold on to the ball too long, he just has opposition players on his back far quicker than other players do. I do think it's down to something in his game, maybe waiting for the ball too long or being too predictable with his first touch, but it's all roughness to polish out.

He's an excellent player though with a ton of talent and a great work ethic.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:17:55 pm by Schmidt »

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3395 on: May 18, 2022, 01:49:23 am »
He was excellent tonight.

Criticizing him for "shooting too much" is patently ridiculous.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3396 on: May 18, 2022, 03:00:10 am »
He was excellent tonight.

Criticizing him for "shooting too much" is patently ridiculous.
Yeah. He is good! Wish he would shoot more!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3397 on: May 18, 2022, 07:55:28 am »

But maybe he’s avoiding passing the problem on, maybe he’s trying to work out a way to beat the press. Holding onto the ball under pressure is part and parcel of a very important skill, press resistance. Perhaps he’s too inclined to do it, but the solution probably isn’t simply to pass it backwards, it’s probably to improve at getting out of pressure. Because he’s definitely got the on ball close control skills to do that sort of thing.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3398 on: May 18, 2022, 08:47:22 am »
Surprised I'm not seeing more praise. Looked very comfortable

There was that fantastic run he had

Then I think there was a run of play where he managed to thread the ball twice to I believe Firmino in the box

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3399 on: May 18, 2022, 09:10:11 am »
His two best qualities are his ability to travel with the ball and his ability to pick a pass between the lines. If he can do both of them more often, he'll be a mainstay of the side for the next ten years.