Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 29234 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:02 pm »
Ta, £320? Things have changed since 1999.

Not really. A new N64 would have cost you £249 for the console at launch and upwards of £60 for Majora's Mask as it shipped with an Expansion Pak).

Using the Bank of England inflation calculator, this is about £500 in today's money.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2017, 08:49:36 am »
If I wanted a complex narrative, I'd read a novel.
Notwithstanding that I'm interested in playing this game, I do like complex narratives in videogames. If I wanted to read a novel I'd read a novel (which I do).

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2017, 04:05:24 pm »
Notwithstanding that I'm interested in playing this game, I do like complex narratives in videogames. If I wanted to read a novel I'd read a novel (which I do).
The point being, you don't need a story in a game for it to be a good game. The story in BoTW is optional, like everything else in it.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2017, 04:53:31 pm »
I still haven't finished this yet.  I can go to the castle now to face Gannon if I want but trying to do other stuff.  Got all the memories, done the 4 beats, shrine quests, side quests but just keep on exploring.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2017, 05:16:40 pm »
Had a day off today to sink some hours into this.. I have spent all afternoon on Eventide Island. Holy shit, this is the hardest section of any Zelda game I can remember since the Nes games  :o  I only have 5 hearts although I'm not sure if having more would make a big difference.

Thoroughly enjoying it, anyhow!

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »
Had a day off today to sink some hours into this.. I have spent all afternoon on Eventide Island. Holy shit, this is the hardest section of any Zelda game I can remember since the Nes games  :o  I only have 5 hearts although I'm not sure if having more would make a big difference.

Thoroughly enjoying it, anyhow!

Hold on. What is this place. I have played for over 80 hours and never been there.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2017, 12:03:14 am »
Hold on. What is this place. I have played for over 80 hours and never been there.
If you've all the shrines, you'd have to have been there. Do you have the 'Wild' set of cloths? They're Link's classic outfit.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2017, 08:09:39 am »
Run-up to the flying beast seemed a bit half-arsed compared to the desert one

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2017, 06:08:25 pm »

It's an Island in the South East. As soon as you arrive you lose everything in your inventory (you get it back after), and you have to make do with whatever you can find. I often hate when games do that, but seeing as it's optional I think it's a really cool challenge.

This game is so much harder than Skyward Sword! Good thing they took away the death counter that all the old games had  ;D

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2017, 06:10:17 pm »
It's an Island in the South East. As soon as you arrive you lose everything in your inventory (you get it back after), and you have to make do with whatever you can find. I often hate when games do that, but seeing as it's optional I think it's a really cool challenge.

This game is so much harder than Skyward Sword! Good thing they took away the death counter that all the old games had  ;D

Spoiler
If you drop all your gear, just before you set foot on land, you can pick it all back up out of the sea after the mission has begun ;D
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
Just ordered this along with the Switch for Saturday, do I need to play any of the previous games to enjoy this? I've only ever played Ocarina of Time back on the N64!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2017, 12:25:03 am »
Just ordered this along with the Switch for Saturday, do I need to play any of the previous games to enjoy this? I've only ever played Ocarina of Time back on the N64!

No, but it demands a decent amount of patience early doors. You will die a ton because your defence / weapons are shite. If you come across a challenge you can't do in the first few tries - move on to something else and come back.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »
No, but it demands a decent amount of patience early doors. You will die a ton because your defence / weapons are shite. If you come across a challenge you can't do in the first few tries - move on to something else and come back.
Cheers mate, got this today and played a couple of hours but I love it already! Ended up on some frosty mountain freezing to death with 3 hearts but caught this gang of monsters next to a fire, killed all but 1 of them when I decided to kill him with an arrow and ended up hitting the tnt barrels and blowing us both up!

Love that there is literally zero hand holding.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2017, 09:45:20 pm »

Yesah not been there. I think I have quite a few shrines to find as well.

I'm really tempted to go to the castle and face the final boss but if I do I know I'll stop with exploration.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:15 pm »

haven't been there yet, and I've put about 70+ hours in. I know where I'm heading tonight, thanks for the mild tip of its location.  :)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2017, 09:06:33 am »
Just got a switch with this. Only completed the first few shrines and the early bits and bobs on the Plateau. Don't want to move on until I've explored everything ;D

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2017, 11:27:17 am »
4 Devine Beasts now activated. Around 55 shrines completed. Do I carry on exploring or do I just go straight for Gannon the bad bellend?

What a game.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:29 am »
4 Devine Beasts now activated. Around 55 shrines completed. Do I carry on exploring or do I just go straight for Gannon the bad bellend?

What a game.

Keep exploring.  I have avoided Gannon as once done I know I wont explore.  I'm up to 105 shrines, done many sidequests.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:46 am »

What a game.
Get all the shrines. There's a decent enough reward for it.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »
Have it running at 1440p on PC, looks lovely :)

:D

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2017, 04:25:36 pm »
Have it running at 1440p on PC, looks lovely :)

Is that an emulator then? Have they sorted all the bugs out?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2017, 12:58:49 am »
Is that an emulator then? Have they sorted all the bugs out?

Working well here (4690k 4.4GHz, nVidia 1080... though a 970 would be fine I imagine) at 20-30fps. Though you can just cap the FPS to 15 with Rivatuner and use CheatEngine to speed the game up to 30fps constant. The audio or music isn't effected so it works really well. I'll whack up a guide for this later.

Edit, here you go:
http://growhousedigital.co.uk/guides/zeldaguide.htm  :wave

Cemu has come on leaps and bounds in a short time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:50:21 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2017, 03:02:56 pm »
Working well here (4690k 4.4GHz, nVidia 1080... though a 970 would be fine I imagine) at 20-30fps. Though you can just cap the FPS to 15 with Rivatuner and use CheatEngine to speed the game up to 30fps constant. The audio or music isn't effected so it works really well. I'll whack up a guide for this later.

Edit, here you go:
http://growhousedigital.co.uk/guides/zeldaguide.htm  :wave

Cemu has come on leaps and bounds in a short time.

Thanks mate, I'll definitely have a look at doing that later.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2017, 12:12:46 pm »
Finished it finally last night.  120 shrines done, all the memories, the 4 divine beasts. Maxed hearts and stamina wheel.

Great game, one hell of a journey.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2017, 05:45:12 pm »
Great game overall disappointed with the ending. Alsmot stumbled upon the end boss and was quite simple to beat. Though one of the divine beast bosses were harder to be honest.

Wanted more from the last section.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »
Was sad to finish it, just wanted it to keep going.

DLC doesn't look worth the money.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2017, 01:06:57 pm »
I've put about 30 hours in and loving every minute.

Just a lovely game, so well crafted.

Playing on Wii U so chronic slowdown in the villages but I'm not too bothered, I played N64 games with worse ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2017, 06:57:10 pm »
I've put about 30 hours in and loving every minute.

Just a lovely game, so well crafted.

Playing on Wii U so chronic slowdown in the villages but I'm not too bothered, I played N64 games with worse ;D

I also played on the wii u, slow down didn't bother me too much but i was disappointed that you could not use the controller screen as a map or for items to use etc. Felt like it was deliberately missed out so to ensure the game was not better on the wii u than on the new gimmick

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2017, 08:02:04 pm »
Haha that is totally true about the gamepad lacking a map!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:36 am »
Got this for Christmas and have played it intermittently. Still getting used to the controls as there seems to be so many! I usually have to pause the game to equip stuff.

Still only got 4 hearts, the stamina you start with and the basic clothes but have managed to activate about 5 towers. My aim is to unlock the whole map before continuing with the story.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:06 pm »
Got this for Christmas and have played it intermittently. Still getting used to the controls as there seems to be so many! I usually have to pause the game to equip stuff.

Still only got 4 hearts, the stamina you start with and the basic clothes but have managed to activate about 5 towers. My aim is to unlock the whole map before continuing with the story.
Also got it for Christmas.

Have played it most days since then and I'm still getting to grips with the controls. It's the most complex Zelda game to control by a long, long way. It's kind of frustrating as the physics system is so good and yet at times I feel unable to use it to it's full potential, especially in combat when there is a need to act quickly.

I'm sort of doing a bit at a time. Continue with the story, explore for a bit, do some shrines...whatever I feel like at the time.

It's a beautiful game in every sense of the word. By the time I've finished it'll be up there my favourites ever I'm sure. I just wish I could get better at the controls...

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2018, 05:47:40 pm »
Also got it for Christmas.

Have played it most days since then and I'm still getting to grips with the controls. It's the most complex Zelda game to control by a long, long way. It's kind of frustrating as the physics system is so good and yet at times I feel unable to use it to it's full potential, especially in combat when there is a need to act quickly.

I'm sort of doing a bit at a time. Continue with the story, explore for a bit, do some shrines...whatever I feel like at the time.

It's a beautiful game in every sense of the word. By the time I've finished it'll be up there my favourites ever I'm sure. I just wish I could get better at the controls...
Done every tower now so have unlocked the whole map! Time to progress the story a little bit now.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:45 pm »
Wow that motion control shrine has to be one of the worst things I've ever come across in gaming. Why would you make a near perfect game and then just throw that monstrosity in. Bizzare

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2018, 11:39:04 pm »
Wow that motion control shrine has to be one of the worst things I've ever come across in gaming. Why would you make a near perfect game and then just throw that monstrosity in. Bizzare
Is that the one where you've to tilt the maze with your controller to guid the ball around it? There's a couple of them if I remember correctly. Yeah, once you sort of wrap your head around the idea that the physics seem fucked up, and that the heavy steel ball feels like it's on the Moon, is because the scale is distorted. The maze is actually fairly big, and the ball is half the size of Link, but its all tiny on the screen with the camera pulled back. I cheated with one of them by just throwing the ball up in the air and then turning my controller (and the maze) upside down to catch it on a flat surface, then rolled it over the edge to the end of it. All that after about 30 attempts, and the best way to go about it was arse over elbow. Literally.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2018, 06:11:39 am »
Is that the one where you've to tilt the maze with your controller to guid the ball around it? There's a couple of them if I remember correctly. Yeah, once you sort of wrap your head around the idea that the physics seem fucked up, and that the heavy steel ball feels like it's on the Moon, is because the scale is distorted. The maze is actually fairly big, and the ball is half the size of Link, but its all tiny on the screen with the camera pulled back. I cheated with one of them by just throwing the ball up in the air and then turning my controller (and the maze) upside down to catch it on a flat surface, then rolled it over the edge to the end of it. All that after about 30 attempts, and the best way to go about it was arse over elbow. Literally.

Yeah I did it in the end in handheld mode. It's just ridiculous, I was really enjoying it up until that point.

Also is the amber, opal etc useful for anything or should I just sell it? I've got quite a bit built up in my inventory but it's not clear whether I need it later in the game or if I should sell it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:13:19 am by Yulelogs Upinsmoke »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:49 am »
Yeah I did it in the end in handheld mode. It's just ridiculous, I was really enjoying it up until that point.

Also is the amber, opal etc useful for anything or should I just sell it? I've got quite a bit built up in my inventory but it's not clear whether I need it later in the game or if I should sell it.

Certain gems can be used later on to get gear. I don't think amber is one of them IIRC.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2018, 09:15:40 am »

The trick is to make the ball bounce on top of the maze as it’s dropping and flip the maze over so the ball is just on a flat surface.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2018, 12:35:19 pm »
Oh Jesus I've somehow forgotten to mention the motion controls in my earlier posts. You're in the middle of this beautifully immersive experience and then you're playing a Wii game from 2007. Horrible, I hope there aren't many more of those shrines to come.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2018, 09:29:25 pm »

I just sold the majority of it and still kept a good bit in case it was needed. It's used to make jewellery and armour at the great fairy fountains when certain gear requires it.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:19 am »
Oh Jesus I've somehow forgotten to mention the motion controls in my earlier posts. You're in the middle of this beautifully immersive experience and then you're playing a Wii game from 2007. Horrible, I hope there aren't many more of those shrines to come.

I think I've encountered 2 or 3 in my playthrough. The maze one was the most difficult, but you could also cheat it as a few poster pointed out.