Author Topic: The Gym  (Read 35031 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Gym
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »
before i went the gym last night, my 1 Rep Max for a push press was 52.5kg

after today's session I've now a 3 rep Max of 62.5kg.. buzzing with that! big progress in only a few weeks
 ::)
:thumbup

First day back at gym today after 2 weeks off with cracked/bruised ribs.
Been pretty sore and still sore now, they said 3-5 weeks... but I'm taking it easy...just working legs and very light upper body.

Really missed it too.

I don't half miss the gym when I don't go..feel lazy and I notice the difference in my mood when I go...feel so much better.

I'm taking easy it meself as my back is sore...I find that difficult too....when you're used to abusing the weights it's not easy lifting light....I find doing the reps very strictly helps.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:13 pm »
I don't half miss the gym when I don't go..feel lazy and I notice the difference in my mood when I go...feel so much better.

I'm taking easy it meself as my back is sore...I find that difficult too....when you're used to abusing the weights it's not easy lifting light....I find doing the reps very strictly helps.

Absolutely... you feel so much more positive and elated really, when you come out of the gym after a good sesh - it really does help so much more than the fitness side of it.
But yeah, it's annoying at the moment because I want to be doing exactly what I was doing before, weight-wise, but really having to take it easy and not push it... don't want to be out even longer than I need to.

Just walking a decent amount on the treadmill (can't even run, ribs really are sore lol) and doing leg curl and leg press plus triceps and a couple of other arm ones.

Going tomorrow, gave it a miss today. Will go back to every other day rather than almost every day.

*sigh*

I'll get there again though.

You should find some light exercises to do at home if you can't manage the gym?
So arms and maybe light cardio, walking etc.

Hope you get back to it soon mate.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:58:09 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »

Absolutely... you feel so much more positive and elated really, when you come out of the gym after a good sesh - it really does help so much more than the fitness side of it.
But yeah, it's annoying at the moment because I want to be doing exactly what I was doing before, weight-wise, but really having to take it easy and not push it... don't want to be out even longer than I need to.

Just walking a decent amount on the treadmill (can't even run, ribs really are sore lol) and doing leg curl and leg press plus triceps and a couple of other arm ones.

Going tomorrow, gave it a miss today. Will go back to every other day rather than almost every day.

*sigh*

I'll get there again though.

You should find some light exercises to do at home if you can't manage the gym?
So arms and maybe light cardio, walking etc.

Hope you get back to it soon mate.
I went  back yesterday for the first time in a fortnight..I'm taking easy doing a body part a day,nothing heavier than 70k on my bench and shoulders.

I broke a rib descending on my bike..had an off  in Wales and had to ride home on my bike from Bala....55 miles up and down mountains and climbs..was an interesting ride home. ;D

Hope your recup is quick,J. :wave

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »
Bloody hell mate!! Hardcore.
I only did mine doing Krav Maga - got a knee in my ribs while I was on my back defending a knife attack.
I carried on but it pales in comparison to your Herculean effort.   :o

Hope it's still going well and it's not playing up.
Mines definitely getting there but it's easy to get too cocky and start pushing it...I'm having to consciously not go too hard.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:46:53 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 06:58:47 am »
What is the best post work-out snack for a Vegan?

I am not a Vegan but I am trying new things for the next 3-4 days, would be of help if someone could provide me with some tips. Cheers.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2014, 01:17:57 am »

What is the best post work-out snack for a Vegan?

I am not a Vegan but I am trying new things for the next 3-4 days, would be of help if someone could provide me with some tips. Cheers.

You can get vegan protium powder. Otherwise nuts wouldn't be too bad.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2014, 05:48:57 pm »
You can get vegan protium powder. Otherwise nuts wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks mate. Will keep that in mind when I decide to something like that again.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
So just signed up in a gym and my plan is to go 2/3 times a week

Any tips on using Elliptical Machines,Rowers and treadmills.

Bare in mind that I run or cycle almost everyday.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 01:51:01 am »

If your focus is on building muscle then you could benefit a lot if you did cardio for not more than 15 minutes and focused on the muscle building exercises for the remaining time you are in the gym. If it isn't the case then it's upto you how long you do those mentioned by you or any other ones.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 09:22:33 am »

You're the fittest lad in here and you wanna get fitter...

I find the stepper helps with my climbing...sorta replicates your position on the bike when you're climbing "en danseuse"...I find it to be a benefit.

Other than that lifting is a must,especially as you get older...I'll put a more informed post in the cyclist thread as it's of benefit to the lads in there..after we've walked the dogs. :)

Hope you're well and had a good Xmas,T.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 10:02:08 am »
Nice one Dave, and its' yes to both being well and a Good Xmas,it's the 2nd year running where I've taken it easy booze wise,can be doing with them hangovers any more ;)

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 8, 2015, 09:21:16 pm »
Will be going to the gym for the first time ever this week. Why does this make me nervous?  :o

A guy I know has offered me to join him to get to know the place so I've got that going for me at least

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 8, 2015, 09:33:32 pm »
Will be going to the gym for the first time ever this week. Why does this make me nervous?  :o

A guy I know has offered me to join him to get to know the place so I've got that going for me at least
Because you think people will be looking at you and will be able to tell you dont know what you're doing. Truth is they dont care and will be too engrossed in their own workout.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 8, 2015, 09:54:24 pm »
Yeah that's probably it. I used to have my own little gym set up at home so I know the basics form wise at least.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »
Been back in the gym the last month or so. Doing 5 nights a week and resting on weekends (mostly). Heading on holidays the start of June so trying to get in shape for that.

Ive been eating alot lately to try bulk up a bit. Diet is:

07:00 am Porridge for breakfast with vitamin tablets and glucosamine

9:00 am - Shake (one scoop of protein, one scoop of oats, 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter and one small banana) and 4 eggs (one while, 3 egg whites)

12:45: Chicken, spinach & peppers

3:00 PM :  Chicken, spinach & peppers

Workout at 5

Post Workout of a mass builder with creatine, BCAA & glutamine

07:00/08:00 pm - Either turkey,chicken, steak with sweet potato, quinoa and spinach

the plan was to keep this going until mid april/end of april and then spend 4-6 weeks trying to lose fat.

Anyone know is this the right way to go about it?

Thanks!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »
try my fitness pal and see what sort of calories it is
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 09:09:14 pm »
Some lovely Personal bests in the gym this week:

125kg back squats,
100kg front squats
85kg Clean and Jerk

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »
Pah I feel like rubbish reading that, 55kg is all I bench press and that includes the 20  bar.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:24 am »
Pah I feel like rubbish reading that, 55kg is all I bench press and that includes the 20  bar.

Why? Seriously, don't judge yourself on what others are doing, just focus on yourself. Keep your own goals at the forefront of your mind. Aim for them. Reach them. Set new ones and go again.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 08:12:54 pm »

I couldn't even hit 1 rep of a 52kg strict press tonight (max is currently 51.5kg).

Last week I was hitting 10 reps at 47.5 kg and tonight it just wouldn't go.

Couldn't even get a half kilo gain

I'm majorly pissed off at myself now haha

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 4, 2015, 02:27:53 am »
Anyone have a good website that suggests different weight lifting techniques/exercises? I'm really enjoying the gym at the moment but I don't want to get bored of doing the same thing.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »
Anyone have a good website that suggests different weight lifting techniques/exercises? I'm really enjoying the gym at the moment but I don't want to get bored of doing the same thing.
talk to an instructor

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 01:08:32 am »
talk to an instructor

Fair point fella!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 08:26:50 am »
Fair point fella!
they know their stuff and thats what they are paid for

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:41 am »
First deadlift session after easter yesterday. Was doing 3x5 at 120kgs before easter, yesterday could barely do one. Currently lying in bed nursing sore as fuck muscles.

Form fades pretty damn fast!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 09:29:50 am »
First deadlift session after easter yesterday. Was doing 3x5 at 120kgs before easter, yesterday could barely do one. Currently lying in bed nursing sore as fuck muscles.

Form fades pretty damn fast!
ha know the feeling

had a good week so far

weights monday, spin tuesday, football wednesday, weights yesterday afternoon and a 11k run last night.

good level of fitness

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2015, 11:25:43 am »
Anyone on here use 'proper' gym clothes? I.e. the likes of gymshark

I've just been wearing football tops and stuff like that, wondering is the premium stuff worth it? I know with cycling that proper gear during that makes a big difference for example

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:32 am »

I've just been wearing football tops and stuff like that, wondering is the premium stuff worth it? I know with cycling that proper gear during that makes a big difference for example

gymshark are awesome, their website is so bad though. If somethings out of stock it'll be out of stock for weeks, the jogging bottoms are class.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2015, 02:27:01 pm »
gymshark are awesome, their website is so bad though. If somethings out of stock it'll be out of stock for weeks, the jogging bottoms are class.

Cheers mate. I may keep my eye out for a sale then!

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 8, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »
Seen a guy at the gym do this exercise I didn't recognize. Tried to look it up but can't find it. Anyone know what it is?

It's on the cable machine with the attachment at the bottom. One hand holds the attachment with your arm down by your side, palm facing forward. Then you raise your arm to chest level directly in front of you while keeping your palm facing forward, before lowering it back to your side.

Hope I described that ok. Anyone know what it is or what it works?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #70 on: July 8, 2015, 12:16:58 pm »
Seen a guy at the gym do this exercise I didn't recognize. Tried to look it up but can't find it. Anyone know what it is?

It's on the cable machine with the attachment at the bottom. One hand holds the attachment with your arm down by your side, palm facing forward. Then you raise your arm to chest level directly in front of you while keeping your palm facing forward, before lowering it back to your side.

Hope I described that ok. Anyone know what it is or what it works?
For your front delts...better with dumbs though..much harder too.

This.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SlOLS4xYkQ?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2SlOLS4xYkQ?fs=1</a>

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 8, 2015, 12:21:28 pm »
For your front delts...better with dumbs though..much harder too.

This.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SlOLS4xYkQ?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2SlOLS4xYkQ?fs=1</a>

Ta mate. It was that exercise except with his palms facing the other way. Would that still hit the front delt mainly? Was thinking of adding it to my chest day as I assumed it was a chest exercise. Seemed similar to a fly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #72 on: July 8, 2015, 12:45:25 pm »
Ta mate. It was that exercise except with his palms facing the other way. Would that still hit the front delt mainly? Was thinking of adding it to my chest day as I assumed it was a chest exercise. Seemed similar to a fly
It's an excercise for people who're more developed than other..imo. The front delt is worked as part of your chest workout and then on a shoulders day without specialising with this excercise...as I said it's for people who have already bulked their delts.

It does hit the out pecs but only slightly.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 8, 2015, 12:47:29 pm »
Yeah doesnt seem to fit for me. Especially as Ive been trying to hit rear delts to help fix shoulder posture. Cheers dude

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #74 on: July 8, 2015, 12:57:19 pm »
Yeah doesnt seem to fit for me. Especially as Ive been trying to hit rear delts to help fix shoulder posture. Cheers dude
;)

No..thanks to you la...this is the nearest I've been to training since.....last November.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2015, 01:40:01 pm »
If he was doing that with his palm facing outwards, I don't even know what muscle that works :D

I have never seen that one.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
One month off it, been on holiday eating and drinking as I please. Back to the iron today!

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Gym/Weight-lifting vests
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2015, 09:41:42 am »
Hi all,

Hope this is ok to post in here, trying to help out the wife with her new job - MODS if this isn't ok please feel free to remove.

One of her small business clients is running a competition to win three workout vests via Facebook.  I know quite a few of you in here use the gym etc and just wondered if you'd help her out by entering.  If you want to enter you can here: http://bit.ly/1NpNZhv

As I say, just trying to help out the wife and score some brownie points.

Cheers

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2015, 09:54:59 pm »
Finally got to 60kgs in the bench press, 3 sets of 5 reps today. Been struggling with my right shoulder for a while, so had nowhere near the same progress as other exercises. Went to physical therapy a while back, and been working on my technique since.

Feels great, hoping I'll be able to push on without aggravating the shoulder again now. 

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2015, 10:06:18 pm »

I had cheap stuff from Decathlon thought it was fine until my missus bought me some Nike Dryfit stuff as a pressie...