Author Topic: The Gym  (Read 35011 times)

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Gym
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:21 am »
6 fried eggs a day isn't good for anyone.. also looks like you are severely lacking on carbs.

Everyones genetics and bodies react differently, my lean bulk diet looks like this;

black coffee - fasted cardio - 1 hour rest after with no food, fat keeps burning in this time.
breakfast: 3 boiled eggs, 1 piece of wholemeal toast. sometimes half a tin of beans thrown in there if i fancy it.
2nd breakfast 45mins/1 hour later: rice pudding + 2 cups of porridge + honey
pre workout: 2 bananas, strong coffee + sometimes a sugar free energy drink (not recommended but I crave something like a pre workout supplement, that kind of mental and physical boost)
lunch within 1 hour of workout completion: 2 chicken breasts + brown rice
dinner: chicken fajitas, can substitute the wrap with brown pasta + mayo if i'm feeling hungry and/or feel like i need additional carbs.

random veggies thrown in, but not vital in the muscle building process imo.

snacks: peanut butter on wholemeal toast, protein shake, porridge + rice pudding, low fat greek style yogurt.

I'd love to be eating Salmon regularly but it doesn't really fit in my budget, fish is of course brilliant.. since its high in protein, low in fats. Lentils. pulses, kidney beans etc are also something i consume on a weekly basis, i intend on making lentils a staple part of my daily diet, vegan body builders are ripped!

i'd substitute all those protein shakes for a well rounded meal or even two, your probably excreting alot of that protein to be honest. food beats supplements always.

if you aren't actively seeking to lose body fat there is no reason to be doing alot of cardio at all, your lifting workout + diet should be intense enough to keeping the bodyfat stable at least. if you want cardio that is going to give you a more well rounded physique then swimming is the answer rather than jogging.

unfortunately for me, my bodyfat is around 18/19% and that means I am running most days at the moment.. on the plus side, the results are flying in, my bodyfat is visibly dropping off me but my weight is still going up. I developed my lean bulk diet via reading and watching alot of youtube fitness 'experts' and blending that information into an obtainable lifestyle plan, while also listening to my body.

Fat doesn't keep burning and fasted cardio makes no difference.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2016, 02:51:16 pm »
I'm halfway through my second cycle of Candito's 6 Week Program. Results so far have been brilliant.

I've had a shitty year of training, some seriously bad shoulder injuries which stopped me doing what I love (squat, deadlift, pressing) and losing a lot of strength. My squat had been plateaued for a year for a variety of reasons so I am delighted with the stats below:

Before / After 5 weeks of Candito:
Squat: 1 x 130kg (absolute 10/10 grinder) / 3 x 130kg (with more in me)
Deadlift: 1 x 160kg / 4 x 155kg
Swiss Bar Bench: 1 x 70kg / 4 x 70kg
(Weight = 72kg)

9 months of the year sucked for me but I've ended it hitting all-time PRs and with my own garage setup. Pretty happy with that.

3 plates, 4 plates and 2 plates respectively to fall next year!

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 3, 2017, 12:16:26 am »
Fat doesn't keep burning and fasted cardio makes no difference.
yes it does and yes it does. both are common sense too.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
« Reply #123 on: January 4, 2017, 04:22:11 pm »
yes it does and yes it does. both are common sense too.

no mate, its doesn't.

please research it properly.

Studies have proven fasted cardio makes zero difference - Its simply calories IN V calories Out. Its a big gym misconception about fasted cardio that is pedalled by ''PT's with poor knowledge.

Same with the nonsense of '' fat keeps burning '' after cardio. It doesn't that's also a proven fact.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #124 on: January 4, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
no mate, its doesn't.

Studies have proven fasted cardio makes zero difference - Its simply calories IN V calories Out. Its a big gym misconception about fasted cardio that is pedalled by ''PT's with poor knowledge.

I've read a lot on fasted training, mainly because I've always had a preference for not eating early in the morning (makes me feel sick) and especially before working out. There are def arguments for and against it's benefits. I've noticed benefits to doing it over the last 18 months compared to when I haven't.

This is a pretty decent article on intermittent fasting - https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Same with the nonsense of '' fat keeps burning '' after cardio. It doesn't that's also a proven fact.

I imagine this is more an issue of using the term 'fat burning'.

If your exercise involves weights (more so than cardio, but it does it for that too) then you'll continue to burn calories above what you'd normally burn on no training days as your body repairs and recovers.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #125 on: January 5, 2017, 09:52:10 am »
Has anybody any experience using the adjustable/selectable dumbbells?  I'm debating whether to invest in a set.

I'm worried incase they limit your movement in certain exercises due to their bulkiness.  Space is a bit limited, tho i'm sure I could fit  a number of rubber hex dumbbells at a push.  I really want to avoid the spin lock type dumbbells, I had these when I was younger and they irritated me having to constantly change weights.  Im a bit worried paying Ł400 for a set of adjustable dumbbells, which if dropped, would destroy them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #126 on: January 5, 2017, 10:06:46 am »
I've got a set of Bowflex and really like them. They are pretty bulky but for the most part I don't notice any issue with that. If I was buying again now (was in an apartment at the time and didn't have the space) I'd probably look to buy rubber hex though.

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: January 5, 2017, 10:07:30 am »
Hi Craig,

The only benefit to fasted cardio is if you prefer training on an empty stomach. In terms of fat burning and weight loss it makes no difference at all.

Intermittent fasting can help weight loss but this is to do with calorie intake. Because you are fasting you have less hours in the day to actually consume calories and people are less likely to eat say 3000 calories in 2 sittings as opposed to 3.

Any easy check that anyone can do is to Inter fast but track your calories. Do 2 weeks inter fasting consuming 2k calories a day and 2 weeks normal eating 2k calories a day and as long as your energy expenditure is the same you will weigh exactly the same.

''If your exercise involves weights (more so than cardio, but it does it for that too) then you'll continue to burn calories above what you'd normally burn on no training days as your body repairs and recovers.''

That is and isn't true. Firstly by lifting weights it increases your muscle mass which in turn increases your need for calorific muscle intake. Each pound of muscle requires around 36 cals a day to maintain its current performance. Lifting '' weights '' doesn't mean you will continue to ''burn'' calories after a work out - it simplistically means you are building the muscle which will require more calories over the day.

I could go into heavy detail but i'm just about to go into a meeting but the classic '' train on an empty stomach to burn more fat'' and '' fat keeps burning'' are myths.

By training on an empty stomach and then restricting any food intake for 1 hour after as the original poster said isn't going to keep the fat burning is nonsense. The only thing it will burn is firstly his carbs stores and if they are depleted then muscle.

It literally makes no difference if he waits an hour or a minute to consume food the energy expenditure is exactly the same. Fated cardio should only be attempted as you say ''you feel better'' as in terms of ''fat burning'' etc it makes zero difference.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #128 on: January 5, 2017, 10:09:26 am »
I've got a set of Bowflex and really like them. They are pretty bulky but for the most part I don't notice any issue with that. If I was buying again now (was in an apartment at the time and didn't have the space) I'd probably look to buy rubber hex though.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #129 on: January 5, 2017, 02:47:31 pm »
Been in JD for 2 years. On and off really. Started tuesday and sticking to a plan now. Bought new tuppawear as well  ;D

Anyone else in that gym? Dale street that is.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 8, 2017, 03:42:32 pm »
I really wish I had my own set up.

A girl in the gym doing deadlifts, tried to stop me from going on the squat rack because she wanted to use it in 2 sets time. I smiled and said I won't be long. Too early for an argument.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:51 pm »
no mate, its doesn't.

I'm not sure it's true they make 'no' difference. Nutrient timing is definitely a factor. But we're probably talking marginal gains that only really matter to elite bodybuilders and lifters. Calories in vs calories out and getting the right mix of fat/protein/carbs will get you 80% of the results.

As for fat 'continuing to burn' if you don't eat, yes and no. Your body is constantly burning fat and breaking down and rebuilding muscle fibres, but what happens on a micro level is irrelevant and trends over a day or week are what matter. So in that respect yes it is about calories in vs out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:05:30 pm by Joga »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2017, 09:58:14 pm »
Back in the gym since last week and I need some music to get me pumped, what can you lot recommend me to get the blood flowing and take me to the next level?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2017, 10:41:22 pm »
Back in the gym since last week and I need some music to get me pumped, what can you lot recommend me to get the blood flowing and take me to the next level?
HMS and Loftgroover b2b

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:42 pm »
Put more weight on the bar....it's norra fuckin disco!!
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2017, 09:45:13 am »
Put more weight on the bar....it's norra fuckin disco!!
All Dave likes to hear is the sound of large gentlemen grunting in his ear!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2017, 10:05:58 am »
hate when you lose loads of time in a gym or over the course of a day for silly things

passcode wouldnt work for me last week

last night my locker broke with my stuff in it after id had a shower

both times held me up about 20 minutes
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2017, 10:19:54 am »
All Dave likes to hear is the sound of large gentlemen grunting in his ear!
As long as there's a reach around, grunt away. ;D

I've gone the gym...5.30 am without music and I have left after ten minutes...I can't train without music.

Having my buds in precludes talking, I'm there to work out not chat...and no I don't wanna give you any advice or tell you how long I've been lifting....I don't wish to chat...that's why I have my music on!!!

I miss the gym.

hate when you lose loads of time in a gym or over the course of a day for silly things

both times held me up about 20 minutes
People interrupting your work out....asking you how you got that big, what do I do for this body part...I don't work here and I don't wanna chat...

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2017, 10:22:23 am »

People interrupting your work out....asking you how you got that big, what do I do for this body part...I don't work here and I don't wanna chat...

tell them "ask your wife how it got that big"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2017, 10:28:20 am »
tell them "ask your wife how it got that big"
;D

I visit my mate whose an instructor in a municipal leisure centre and it's at it's worst in there. I've ended up training people in there, mainly women....they're intimidated by the atmosphere and are reluctant to approach people....apparently I'm" nice and approachable", I don't see it like.

And it always starts off with questions about arm flab/bingo wings. people are obsessed by them.  ;D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2017, 10:31:22 am »
i never talk to people in the gym. i was a member of a gym for years with my brother. obviously id say hello as would he etc but not constantly yap for an hour about the best way to life a barbell

just try to get on with it

the odd time the wife goes the gym with me we could be on treadmills next to each other and would hardly speak. earphones in. (just left myself open to ridicule there)

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »

Run The Jewels 3
Algiers by Algiers
Illmatic by Nas
Anything by At The Drive-In or Refused

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2017, 08:21:36 am »
Run the Jewels 1 and 2 should also be added to that list of things to work out to. Close your eyes (and count to fuck) is the tune to break any PBs.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: February 1, 2017, 10:15:47 am »

Rammstein
Slipknot
Hard house (although this tends to give me clubbing flashbacks - gets you pumped though)
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 1, 2017, 11:11:45 am »
Run the Jewels 1 and 2 should also be added to that list of things to work out to. Close your eyes (and count to fuck) is the tune to break any PBs.

Ah definitely, that is a great one. The list above was just my current playlist.

Basically angry hip-hop/rap and aggressive rock and metal does it for me.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 4, 2017, 06:18:05 pm »
I've stopped listening to my own music in the gym, cuts out a good 10 minutes of distractions from my workouts, flicking through songs.

It does mean I overhear others talking though, what is it with PT that constantly chat shite to their clients? They aren't doing them any favours or maybe that's their game? If I paid for an accountant, I want them to tell me how to pay less tax, I don't give a shit where they've been on holiday with my money. Why's it any different for a PT? Stop pretending to be their friend, you're not helping them.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2017, 06:20:49 pm by damomad »
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »
Been in JD for 2 years. On and off really. Started tuesday and sticking to a plan now. Bought new tuppawear as well  ;D

Anyone else in that gym? Dale street that is.

Yip.  :wave
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:57:00 pm by JimmyGrunt »
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »
Started my summer cut last week, you really appreciate your meals so much more when you are in a caloric deficit.. something simple like red onion chicken omelette is heavenly.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:33 am »
Started my summer cut last week, you really appreciate your meals so much more when you are in a caloric deficit.. something simple like red onion chicken omelette is heavenly.

Have you tried your fasted cardio v non fasted cardio with the same calories through the day yet ?

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2017, 06:41:37 pm »
Looking to get a punch bag for the garden, sand filled. Any decent site please. Reasonable price. Ta

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2017, 10:50:35 pm »
Have you tried your fasted cardio v non fasted cardio with the same calories through the day yet ?
No i just do it at the end of my workouts now.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »
It does mean I overhear others talking though, what is it with PT that constantly chat shite to their clients? They aren't doing them any favours or maybe that's their game? If I paid for an accountant, I want them to tell me how to pay less tax, I don't give a shit where they've been on holiday with my money. Why's it any different for a PT? Stop pretending to be their friend, you're not helping them.

I cant stand PTs. Especially the men. They take up four or five pieces of equipment 'cos they're supersetting and you can't get on any equipment/weights. And they take all day 'cos they're snaking on their female clients.

Worst part of a gym by a mile.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2017, 10:25:17 am »
anyone recommend any good fitness youtubers? I find they keep me motivated and can be informative.

who i watch already; Joe Delaney (funny bollocks from runcorn), David Laid, Qwin Vitale, Dylan Mckenna, Rob Lipsett, Calum von Moger, student Aesthetics, Simeone Panda and Steve Cook.

I'm sure there must be a load of good ones i'm not aware of, not a fan of Guzman or Bradley Martyn

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 6, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
anyone recommend any good fitness youtubers? I find they keep me motivated and can be informative.

who i watch already; Joe Delaney (funny bollocks from runcorn), David Laid, Qwin Vitale, Dylan Mckenna, Rob Lipsett, Calum von Moger, student Aesthetics, Simeone Panda and Steve Cook.

I'm sure there must be a load of good ones i'm not aware of, not a fan of Guzman or Bradley Martyn

Johnnie Candito; Mike Israetel; Juggernaut.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 5, 2017, 12:43:27 pm »
Gents whats the best way to measure body fat percentages etc? Cheers
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #155 on: April 5, 2017, 01:18:27 pm »
Anyone can help, you just need a stopwatch

https://youtu.be/RQXzOE12xuM
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 5, 2017, 02:06:42 pm »

Fat calipers are supposed to be the best method (cheap and easy access), though I've tried them myself and couldn't get consistent readings.

That is and isn't true. Firstly by lifting weights it increases your muscle mass which in turn increases your need for calorific muscle intake. Each pound of muscle requires around 36 cals a day to maintain its current performance. Lifting '' weights '' doesn't mean you will continue to ''burn'' calories after a work out - it simplistically means you are building the muscle which will require more calories over the day.

Are you sure about that? My understanding was that weight lifting (and HIIT to some extent) both heavily deplete the glycogen stores in your muscles, which leads to your body spending 24-48 hours rebuilding those stores and using more calories as a result.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #157 on: April 5, 2017, 05:03:41 pm »
Get naked in front of a full length mirror and jump up and down..all them wobbly bits...they gorra go.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 5, 2017, 05:26:05 pm »
Anyone can help, you just need a stopwatch

https://youtu.be/RQXzOE12xuM

Get naked in front of a full length mirror and jump up and down..all them wobbly bits...they gorra go.

Fuck sake cheers lads  :D
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 7, 2017, 02:28:20 pm »
I'm halfway through my second cycle of Candito's 6 Week Program. Results so far have been brilliant.

I've had a shitty year of training, some seriously bad shoulder injuries which stopped me doing what I love (squat, deadlift, pressing) and losing a lot of strength. My squat had been plateaued for a year for a variety of reasons so I am delighted with the stats below:

Before / After 5 weeks of Candito:
Squat: 1 x 130kg (absolute 10/10 grinder) / 3 x 130kg (with more in me)
Deadlift: 1 x 160kg / 4 x 155kg
Swiss Bar Bench: 1 x 70kg / 4 x 70kg
(Weight = 72kg)

9 months of the year sucked for me but I've ended it hitting all-time PRs and with my own garage setup. Pretty happy with that.

3 plates, 4 plates and 2 plates respectively to fall next year!

Thanks for mentioning this, I'm a bit of a beginner but I've been doing an upper/lower split I came up with that isn't too different from your routine, so I think I'm gonna switch to it as it seems useful to have that 5-6 week program where you can evaluate your results at regular intervals.

I was a little confused as to why the pdf for his program mentions shoulders/biceps/back accessory exercises but the upper body accessories in the excel sheet are back/shoulders/back#2. Did you end up doing 2 back exercises each session or one?

Edit: Never mind, I saw in his update notes he swapped out the bicep work. I've actually changed my mind and decided to go with the strength/hypertrophy version of his linear program as the strength program seems more focused on intermediates and I'm still pretty weak.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2017, 04:35:58 pm by Schmidt »