Author Topic: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool  (Read 72255 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool
« Reply #160 on: February 2, 2021, 10:24:34 am »
Pearce's Athletic piece quotes a source as describing him as a Klavan type player. I'd take that

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #161 on: February 2, 2021, 10:25:21 am »
His first day

Holy shit that's Klopp, Holy Shit that's Salah, Holy Shit that's Mane, Holy shit that's Thiago, Holy....

....shit my fucking knee, this physio room is gorgeous though
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: February 2, 2021, 10:26:42 am »
Funnily enough, was reading yesterday Rhys Williams did an interview and one player he looks upto... Ben Davies

“There’s a lad at Preston now called Ben Davies,” Williams, a lifelong North End fan, told us. “He’s been at Preston all the way through, come through the academy.

“He’s been everywhere on loan – York, Fleetwood, Southport, Newport, Tranmere. Now he’s probably Preston’s best and most consistent player.

“It shows me that there’s a path through non-league, especially for defenders, where you have to go and learn the basics of the game. The bit on the ball, that can always come, you can always learn that later, but the basics, you have to have them.

“I look up to someone like Ben because he’s had the same path as me and now he’s doing really well in the Championship.”

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #163 on: February 2, 2021, 10:27:35 am »
Hopefully will be part of the squad against Brighton, would be surprised to see him start but I think a spot on the bench is a possibility.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 2, 2021, 10:28:24 am »
Enjoying the title in a "Charles (Charlie) Charles" type way.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #165 on: February 2, 2021, 10:30:13 am »
Apologies if this has already been posted..great insight to what we have signed here.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/7PeENMZ7DyU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/7PeENMZ7DyU</a>
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 2, 2021, 10:30:25 am »
Funnily enough, was reading yesterday Rhys Williams did an interview and one player he looks upto... Ben Davies

“There’s a lad at Preston now called Ben Davies,” Williams, a lifelong North End fan, told us. “He’s been at Preston all the way through, come through the academy.

“He’s been everywhere on loan – York, Fleetwood, Southport, Newport, Tranmere. Now he’s probably Preston’s best and most consistent player.

“It shows me that there’s a path through non-league, especially for defenders, where you have to go and learn the basics of the game. The bit on the ball, that can always come, you can always learn that later, but the basics, you have to have them.

“I look up to someone like Ben because he’s had the same path as me and now he’s doing really well in the Championship.”

Haha. Bless him.

He works with Klopp, Van Dijk, Salah, Thiago and Mane et al every day like it's nothing and then he gets star struck when Ben Davies walks through the door!!

That's lovely.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #167 on: February 2, 2021, 10:45:46 am »
His old tweets are doing the rounds now...

I saw he had retweeted a few David Brent/Office related quotes so seems fine by me.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #168 on: February 2, 2021, 11:46:00 am »
His old tweets are doing the rounds now...

Even if those are real, he was just a kid. Remember Elliot’s ‘Snapchat’ regarding Harry Kane as an example.

Great, low risk signing this. Happy for the bloke too he probably can’t believe his luck

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 2, 2021, 12:28:25 pm »
I can't wait to see him play as I think he's going to surprise quite a few.

I get mini VVD vibes from him.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 2, 2021, 12:34:25 pm »
Pearce's Athletic piece quotes a source as describing him as a Klavan type player. I'd take that

From purely distribution perspective and work with the ball, that sounds like Pearce would need to change his 'sources' .. Maybe the videos are misleading but some of the passes he was spreading were of great quality and range. Klavan (with all respect) I don't remember ever seeing him do something similar. 
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #171 on: February 2, 2021, 12:34:46 pm »
Good luck to the guy. Looking forward to seeing him play and hope he can forge out a career here, if not he's going to learn an awful lot over the next couple of years.

Signings like this speak to me a lot more than a £20m squad player.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 2, 2021, 12:40:31 pm »
Just viewed his first interview on LFCTV. Seems a really good guy. Seems humble, excited, intelligent and enthusiastic.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #173 on: February 2, 2021, 12:41:34 pm »
From purely distribution perspective and work with the ball, that sounds like Pearce would need to change his 'sources' .. Maybe the videos are misleading but some of the passes he was spreading were of great quality and range. Klavan (with all respect) I don't remember ever seeing him do something similar.

Maybe it's more an assessment of his potential standing in the squad/playing time rather than his abilities at this stage.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Barrowred

• Kopite
« Reply #174 on: February 2, 2021, 12:46:29 pm »
Played in the same team as his Dad for just over a season......he must get his ability from his mothers side of the family ;D

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 2, 2021, 01:27:03 pm »
That's an odd comparison.  Klavan was a near 31-year old with 10 years' experience in the Dutch and German top flights and over 100 international appearances.  Davies is younger, relatively wet behind the ears and on a week-by-week basis has not faced players of the same talent that Klavan had.  The clips I've seen don't particularly remind me of Klavan in playing style or physicality either.

I suppose if the comparison is based on them both being relatively cheap fourth/fifth choice central defenders then maybe.

It would be a great story if Davies developed to the point that he cemented himself as a long-term regular.  It's impossible to think he won't improve under our coaches and training alongside world class players.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #176 on: February 2, 2021, 01:30:07 pm »
Liverpool regard Davies as a “Ragnar Klavan-type signing”, the Estonia international who spent two seasons at Anfield after arriving from Augsburg before leaving in 2018.

https://theathletic.com/2357642/2021/02/02/liverpool-ozan-kabak-its-try-before-you-buy/

if he’s anywhere near Klavan, he’ll be fine.

Ragnar was the perfect squad player, unfussy (apart from his fantastic little pirouettes  ;D ), and calm, and able to step in to do a job.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 2, 2021, 01:35:19 pm »
I think it's fair - Klavan was 6 foot 1 or 2, had a decent leap on him, good positionally, decent footballer, but was ultimately an experienced pro rather than a development project who we signed predominately to cover. If this fella performs that role as well as Klavan did over five or six seasons we'll have invested well I'd argue.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 2, 2021, 01:36:31 pm »
Who is doing the Gerrard pass to this guy in training? Thiago? Henderson?

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 2, 2021, 01:44:17 pm »

I was hoping for more of young John Stones when he joined Everton.
If he can be  half as good impact when asked to play then I will be happy.
I hope he does well in training and gets  some game time before the summer

I have a feeling that Phillips and Kabak are ahead of Davies at the moment- but it is up to him to show the coaches and fellow players that he is good enough and then grab his chance.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 2, 2021, 01:47:16 pm »

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #181 on: February 2, 2021, 01:57:16 pm »
They would compliment each other well as a pairing then, but you have to expect that Davies will start alongside Fab at first and then maybe Kabak will get a couple of chances.  Would be a huge risk to chuck them both in together until they've got a few games under their belts.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #182 on: February 2, 2021, 02:26:00 pm »
They would compliment each other well as a pairing then, but you have to expect that Davies will start alongside Fab at first and then maybe Kabak will get a couple of chances.  Would be a huge risk to chuck them both in together until they've got a few games under their belts.

If they are both able to start training with the team straightaway I would have thought Kabak is ahead in the pecking order? It's all guesswork at this stage I suppose.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 2, 2021, 02:35:53 pm »

both look solid on the defensive side of things. I think Kabak must be ahead due to the level he has played including 7 full internationals for Turkey. ALthough I am sure Klopp and coaches will determine this after 2-3 sessions.

Unfortunately I think Brighton is too soon for a start but one of them could make the bench and if we drop Adrian and are missing Minamino then there is a space on the bench for both

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 2, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
Seems as if Kabak is the Vidic / Gomez front-foot aggressive CB that will occasionally make driving runs forward and Davies is the Ferdinand / VvD CB who glides around, sweeps in behind and spreads the play. Not saying either is anywhere near the level of those guys yet of course.

Presumably, Kabak will be the one attacking long balls too and making headed clearances.  Presumably he will be more of a threat in the other box too.

Has the ingredients to be a good partnership this.  Let's hope they can both settle quickly.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #185 on: February 2, 2021, 03:14:37 pm »
Maybe you misremember, cause Klavan was very good on the ball.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 2, 2021, 03:24:47 pm »
The tweets kind of highlight a lack of belief in himself. I know he was young but as a young cb did he not think that he would ever be good to play for even Everton?  Maybe that's what kept him back from playing at a higher level in his career and is getti g more confidence and belief as he gets older and matures. If that was what was holding him then we have the right manager to help him realise his true potential.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 2, 2021, 03:28:05 pm »
I think we signed two CB's that would very obviously compliment each other. Kabak the more aggressive and physically imposing centre half, while Davies the VVD light - intelligent, reading the game well and with an ability to carry the ball out of defence and eye for a pass.

Honestly thought, unless they are both a revelation, they are fighting for a spot for partner up with Fabinho.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 2, 2021, 03:31:05 pm »
The last centre half who captained Liverpool who came from Barrow didn't do too badly for us - Emlyn Hughes was a legend in Red.

And a Barrow mate of mine, I’ll have you know!😉

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #189 on: February 2, 2021, 03:43:12 pm »
Welcome big Ben.

Love these kinds of transfers, so really hoping he goes on to be a rock for us long term.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #190 on: February 2, 2021, 03:45:52 pm »
I like the change in title. Hope he is gentle with the ball at his feet and bear like in the tackle
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #191 on: February 2, 2021, 03:50:36 pm »
Like anyone who comes from Preston 😂
:lmao
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #192 on: February 2, 2021, 05:08:17 pm »

He's from Barrow
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #193 on: February 2, 2021, 05:57:22 pm »
Welcome big Ben.

Love these kinds of transfers, so really hoping he goes on to be a rock for us long term.

Been waiting for this one.

Was kinda tempted myself but thought... nah... too risky at 6' 1" (ish)

:wellin :wellin :wellin

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 2, 2021, 09:02:05 pm »

Hahaha
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #195 on: February 2, 2021, 09:10:31 pm »
I can't wait to see him play as I think he's going to surprise quite a few.

I get mini VVD vibes from him.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Anyone else see the Twitter thread by the PNE statto?
This has Robertson vibes all over it.

Gna go look for that thread:
https://mobile.twitter.com/gorn__/status/1356256543600242696
« Last Edit: February 2, 2021, 09:47:01 pm by McrRed »

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #196 on: February 2, 2021, 09:14:35 pm »
If they are both able to start training with the team straightaway I would have thought Kabak is ahead in the pecking order? It's all guesswork at this stage I suppose.

Makes more sense for Davies to get in first, I think.  Lives up the road from Liverpool, whereas Kabak will need to find digs and settle into the country/lifestyle.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 3, 2021, 12:45:08 am »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 3, 2021, 12:55:38 am »
Anyone else see the Twitter thread by the PNE statto?
This has Robertson vibes all over it.

Gna go look for that thread:
https://mobile.twitter.com/gorn__/status/1356256543600242696

Well, he certainly looks more like a top-half-of-the-PL defender than a Championship defender ...

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #199 on: February 3, 2021, 04:48:57 am »
Who's that guy Benozan we signed for 2.6m?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."