Author Topic: Southampton v Liverpool (St. Mary's) August 17th, 2019 3pm  (Read 27142 times)

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
Re: Southampton v Liverpool (St. Mary's) August 17th, 2019 3pm
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2019, 06:36:39 pm »
My rogue shout is that we'll see Fabinho rested and Lallana having a go at the #6 role for the first time.
I think Adrian might play as the false Bobby in this match.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2019, 07:01:49 pm »
Expect us to field the best team. We all know what that means. Bar one or two players I think everyone picks the same side.
I'm a bit worried. Our game seems to be on and off during games and both Norwich and Chelsea found ways to hurt us. Add the extra time and travelling and this is a good time to play us. We have to be focused to get the three points.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline AttaRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2019, 07:06:02 pm »
I was/am expecting Southampton to have a decent season and be top half this season. Think they'll be well up for Saturday. First home game of the season and wanting to put in a performance after getting beat by Burnley. They'll come out and try and press high up with lots of intensity, so might be a case of letting them punch themselves out. Looking back at the Burnley highlights, Southamptons centre backs (especially Bednarek) are suspect under the high ball and out wide to crosses coming in.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2019, 07:14:07 pm »
To be fair to Gomez, Matip made some horrendous mistakes last night too. I reckon penalties were just "fated."

The jury is out on whether Ox is still a top level player. Perhaps he just needs more time to find his rhythm. I would not start him in a must-win game. The pressure of the run-in with City will crush us if we start dropping points so soon. This game is a must-win. Mo-Bobby-Sadio please.

Last night, Ox made his first start in a competitive game since April 2018. Give him a chance!
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2019, 07:15:08 pm »
Last night, Ox made his first start in a competitive game since April 2018. Give him a chance!

and out wide at that

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2019, 07:22:11 pm »
To be fair to Gomez, Matip made some horrendous mistakes last night too. I reckon penalties were just "fated."

The jury is out on whether Ox is still a top level player. Perhaps he just needs more time to find his rhythm. I would not start him in a must-win game. The pressure of the run-in with City will crush us if we start dropping points so soon. This game is a must-win. Mo-Bobby-Sadio please.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2019, 10:05:47 pm »
This game is a must-win.

Absolutely, only 108 points left to play for after this one.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2019, 10:17:20 pm »

What ?
What ?
and What ?

Have you not seen Ox play under Klopp ? Or our temperament under pressure ?

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2019, 10:19:14 pm »
Given the lack of recovery time, and also given that Southampton are, while strong, also not a rival, I'd be amazed if we played our 'best' team.

Looking at who started Norwich and minutes played etc we've got something like:

Origi, Keita, Milner, Oxlade, Gini, Mane and Robbo (subbed off), TAA
- all relatively fresh.
Almost certain that Origi and Mane start, with two of Keita/Gini/Oxlade/Milner also very likely, TAA + Robbo is nailed on.

Gomez, Salah, Hendo, Fabinho, VvD all played Norwich and the full 120, right? So we've got to be looking at resting at least some of these - no chance of both Hendo and Fabinho starting, I'd say, Gomez and Salah must also be likely candidates to start on the bench.

Shaqiri and Bobby are slightly odd in that the latter is fresh but rarely played without a change of system, and the latter would seem nailed on to start but hasn't Klopp already said he wasn't supposed to play at all against Chelsea?

So my guess is something like this:

Origi Bobby Mane

Keita Gini
       Hendo
Rob VvD Matip TAA

But there's an outside chance of something like this:

----------Origi
Mane Lallana Shaqiri
       Gini Milner
Robbo VvD Matip TAA

The latter would make most sense from fitness perspective, but seems unlikely that we'll rest 2 of the front 3.

It'll be interesting to see, though.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2019, 10:23:11 pm »
Absolutely, only 108 points left to play for after this one.
Given that the bar has been set for two seasons now at around 100 points then, yes, pretty much every game is a must win. It's not even remotely bed wetting to suggest that any defeat at any stage of the season represents a significant shift in momentum and pressure. It's not even that bizarre - that's just how it is in leagues where two teams are clearly better than the others. We've seen it Spain, Italy, last season in Germany, Scotland since forever...
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2019, 10:23:16 pm »
Hopefully Keita is fit for this, there's a chance he won't be, he'll be reassessed tomorrow and Saturday

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2019, 10:24:34 pm »
There’s no way that we will start this game with Bobby, Mane and Mo....

Thus we will start this game with Bobby Mane and Mo.

Klopp never rotates when I expect it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2019, 10:48:49 pm »
Stop.
Brewster time!?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:23 pm »
Just got thinking about the new year Eve win against city and then draw against Sunderland 2 days later. Circumstances different now (extra day but night game.followed by travel in this one). We will definitely see some rotation.

As good and fit as Mo is, he was running on fumes in 2nd half extra time. saw him coming back over the halfway line and then almost giving up on the defensive play a couple of times. ideally Mane should sit out as well after playing 100 minutes with zero preseason but think Klopp will start at least 2 of the front 3, so he starts. Origi starts as well.

TAA and Andy were managed well so both start. Virgil is super human and the position less demanding relatively speaking , so he starts alongside Matip. Gomez definitely needs a rest. Don't really see Lovren being given a start.

Hendo and Fab should sit out but still expect one of them to start if keita is ruled out. Milner, if fit and Gini both start.

Lallana, Shaq, Ox - if any of them starts , that underlines how draining the Istanbul game was but only see it happening if Keita/Milner and Fab all have fitness issues.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2019, 11:01:06 pm »
Will they fly down to Southampton or is just the 5 hour coach journey on top of all that recent travel?

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2019, 11:07:00 pm »
Sly put up some graphic showing we have a pretty decent record following a 3 day break, 11/13 wins I think.

Yes I know there was ET but I trust Klopp to manage his squad appropriately.

Narrow win for us.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2019, 11:17:30 pm »
Southampton wouldn't hurt Utd let alone us.

We have fresh legs in TAA, Keita. Other players like Origi and Gini played less than an hour on Wednesday and may yet feature.

Wednesday was a wonderful training match for us so even if the boys only focussed on recovery and nothing else, we would still be strong enough to get a result from Southampton.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:49 pm »
Could they have stayed overnight in Turkey and flown to Southampton today? Rest and recovery in some nice New Forest country club and we’ll be as fresh as daisies!
JFT97

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2019, 11:30:15 pm »
Quite possibly but it was thought that the squad returns home late this evening and probably have one training session tomorrow morning before going to Southampton.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2019, 11:57:02 pm »
Nice one Trend, thanks.

It's such a short turnaround, especially after playing 120 mins yesterday. But it is what it is. I think we'll go as strong as we possibly can without putting anyone at risk.

It's imperative we get off to a good start in the league as that was the foundation of our successful title challenge last season. It's such a shame that Keita is injured again and I'm really hoping for good news tomorrow from Klopp on his injury because boy we could have done with him in the team yesterday. If he was fit he would have been one of the first names on the team sheet for this game. I think with a week's break after this we'll go with Mo, Sadio and Bobby again. It's midfield where it might get mixed up with Lallana coming in to play #6 with Gini and then any one of Fabino/Milner/Hendo/Ox/Keita(if fit).
YWNA

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2019, 12:02:22 am »

Can’t believe the scheduling of this game, I don’t expect a brilliant performance, just get the win and let’s try to get back to our best

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:29 am »
Can’t believe the scheduling of this game, I don’t expect a brilliant performance, just get the win and let’s try to get back to our best

Why aren’t we playing Sunday?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2019, 12:22:14 am »
Why aren’t we playing Sunday?
Looks like we got a break from the FA this time...they didn't give us the 12.30 kick off which they would normally do after a wednesday late night game in "Asia".

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2019, 12:47:22 am »
What a post, Trend. My God.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2019, 02:39:58 am »
Gonna have tired legs for this.
A test for the efficacy of our squad.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2019, 02:44:26 am »
Yeah, awesome OP Trend. Huzzah Huzzah.

I think we'll comfortably see these off. If it doesn't pan out , i think we'll uncomfortably see these off. And if everything goes awry then we'll probably get a draw.

Cant consider losing the wailing would be unbearable
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2019, 03:01:31 am »
It is games like this that we got to make it count as contenders.
Especially on a day when Spurs could take some points off ManCity.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2019, 07:39:50 am »
After the mid-week performance, we cannot take anything for granted. Southampton are gonna press us like there no tomorrow.  So we need to put players who are more fresh.  So we have to bring in shaqiri, lallana, ox, lovern, origi from the start. We have to use our squad more efficiently.

Btw i would take a goaless draw. The team-dynamics still does not look ready (going by our performance in the last 3 matches).
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2019, 07:45:39 am »
Fantastic first post.  Great read!  Thanks.

If we can find a way - any way - to win this game then we're going to be looking pretty good for the season.

Southampton will be massively up for this:
- It's the first home game of the season
- They got battered by Burnley on the opening day so will be out to prove a point
- Their fans see us as a rival  :o

I'm guessing we won't have trained between the Chelsea game and this one so it will about our players adapting and just digging out a result.

A few tired legs but I think we'll go with:

Adrian

Trent - Matip - VVD - Robbo

Gini - Fabinho - Hendo

Mo - Bobby - Mane

It feels like a game where we perhaps should utilise Shaq, Origi, Lallana, AOC and maybe even Brewster but I just can't see it.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2019, 07:48:07 am »
Will they fly down to Southampton or is just the 5 hour coach journey on top of all that recent travel?

I asked yesterday were they not flying from Istanbul to Southampton, seems to make sense, but assume they didn't.

As for the team Shaqiri and Lallana surely have to be in.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2019, 08:03:25 am »
                      Firmino

Origi                              Shaq.

Milner - Gini - Lallana

Robbo - van Djik - Matip - Trent

Adriaaaan

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:05:13 am by Crimson »
I have no idea what I’m taking about

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2019, 08:04:22 am »
Have we ever tried Lallana as an alternative to Firmino? I think he might be quite good at it

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2019, 08:12:55 am »
This is going to be really tough. Impossible to predict a line up, i would like to see Ox played in a central position though. Origi will likely play too, but i think at least 2 of the usual front 3 play. Really important not to drop any points this early, scrappy 1-0 win would do given the circumstances.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2019, 08:13:29 am »
Have we ever tried Lallana as an alternative to Firmino? I think he might be quite good at it

I imagine he’d be fine with the cute stuff and the defensive pressing, but would get battered challenging in the opposition area and trying to hold up the ball.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2019, 08:15:19 am »

For the sake of the mods in the pre-match thread, I hope not.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2019, 08:29:38 am »
There’s no way that we will start this game with Bobby, Mane and Mo....

Thus we will start this game with Bobby Mane and Mo.

Klopp never rotates when I expect it.

Agree with you. Bobby and Mane played limited minutes and Mo is clearly fit. We have 1 week off until the next game.

Midfield is where it gets interesting although I think Gini will start. Aside from that I really don`t know.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:24 am »
Still can't believe that the PL don't give a toss about teams playing in Europe. Surely its in their interest to have the best players available to play in their games, so give the best possible break. Yet after all the travel we have done there is 1 day to prepare for a game. Also I am convinced one of the reasons Chelsea posted that team against Utd was to rest some key players for the mid week game.

Makes no sense.

Anyway, nice Op!

It feels like we may need to replace the whole midfield, Milner, Henderson and Fabinho looked shattered at the end of the game.  Is Keita fit? Does he really go with Lallana at the base or was that a pre-season red herring? I am sure Gini comes in.
Would seem likely that we may need to rotate up top too. Bobby, Mane and Origi and swap one for Mo later?

A much tougher game than it needed to have been.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2019, 09:28:57 am »
We probably would like to save these for the later in the season, but feels like a game best described as "good side found a way to win".

Watched Southampton's game with Burnley, they were average at best, did little pressing, looked slow and plodding in midfield and still look as vulnerable as ever in their backline.  So while we are nowhere near our best yet, neither are Southampton. 

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2019, 09:32:26 am »
We should play all the ex-Southampton players.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2019, 09:52:27 am »
Brilliant write up that Trend, nice one  :)