Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 122446 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2020, 10:24:36 pm »
It's always worth clicking on the source links at the bottom of the page when on Wikipedia mate. Although it's only Wiki, they do try and provide good sources when they are available.

There's this one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170415200345/http://theartnewspaper.com/comment/local-collections-should-be-nationalised-to-halt-sell-offs-/

and more comprehensively, this:

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/history/WML_150_years.pdf

starts at about page 85 for the relevant information. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for that.  :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2020, 08:03:08 pm »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #322 on: January 30, 2020, 08:34:11 pm »
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2020, 05:39:52 pm »
Fat Joe saying enough is enough on cuts.  We'll see.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #324 on: February 7, 2020, 06:01:29 pm »
Couple of things.

First, Craig put it up in the coming events thread but I'll stick a reminder in here.

If you're into big naval ships, the carrier HMS Prince Of Wales is coming to Liverpool on the 28th February and will be open to the public.

https://twitter.com/HMSPWLS/status/1225016287153266689

and Echo link if you want ... https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/hms-prince-wales-visit-liverpool-17692759

Parts of it (and HMS Queen Elizabeth) were built at C&L over the water before being shipped upto Rosyth for final assembly, as was the complete original KGV class HMS PoW that took part in the Bismark action but was later sunk by the Japanese back in '41, hence the association with Liverpool.

Secondly, the Philharmonic pub has been given grade I listed status.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51397915

To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't grade I already, but it's good news anyway, it's quite a fantastic interior, as also is that of The Vines, it too now given a grade II status. If my memory serves me correctly, it's been a few years since I was last in there but I think the dome that's mentioned is in the function room which, certainly in the past, wasn't always open.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #325 on: February 8, 2020, 05:32:25 pm »
Passing quick foto of the Fuck the Tories demo in town today.

Notice the trees*

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: February 8, 2020, 09:16:11 pm »
Couple of things.

First, Craig put it up in the coming events thread but I'll stick a reminder in here.

If you're into big naval ships, the carrier HMS Prince Of Wales is coming to Liverpool on the 28th February and will be open to the public.

https://twitter.com/HMSPWLS/status/1225016287153266689

and Echo link if you want ... https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/hms-prince-wales-visit-liverpool-17692759

Parts of it (and HMS Queen Elizabeth) were built at C&L over the water before being shipped upto Rosyth for final assembly, as was the complete original KGV class HMS PoW that took part in the Bismark action but was later sunk by the Japanese back in '41, hence the association with Liverpool.

Secondly, the Philharmonic pub has been given grade I listed status.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51397915

To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't grade I already, but it's good news anyway, it's quite a fantastic interior, as also is that of The Vines, it too now given a grade II status. If my memory serves me correctly, it's been a few years since I was last in there but I think the dome that's mentioned is in the function room which, certainly in the past, wasn't always open.

Yeah, Cammell Laird built the flight decks for the new carriers I believe.  On a side note, catching up with their progress reading Wikipedia, the builders appear to be going from strength to strength, which is a great thing to see.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2020, 02:58:48 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-john-manley-travelodge-rampage-17815553

Meanwhile the new Royal stands rotting and not a single person involved has faced any consequences ::)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2020, 03:23:53 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-john-manley-travelodge-rampage-17815553

Meanwhile the new Royal stands rotting and not a single person involved has faced any consequences ::)

Au contraire..the consequence of their actions are probably faced with having to see out their retirement in a new abode on the Caribbean.

This sums up a lot..

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-05-16/mps-attack-on-carillion-executives-is-an-extraordinary-and-savage-takedown/

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2020, 07:18:59 pm »

Or we have Prince Andrew lurking in our midst getting away with all kinds.........allegedly

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2020, 03:17:49 pm »
The Attic on Parr Street has it's neck on the block.  :-\

Parr Street Studios and venues Studio 2 and Attic are to be demolished if new apartment plans are approved, Getintothis Peter Guy reports.

Liverpool’s iconic Parr Street Studio, music venues Studio 2 and Attic will be demolished if new planning applications are approved.

A planning application by local contractor PJ Percival Construction has been submitted to Liverpool City Council to build a six to eight-storey development incorporating a hotel and 114 apartments.

Under the new plans 33-55 Parr Street would be completely transformed.

The existing buildings on that plot would be demolished including the likes of Parr Street Studios, live music venue Studio 2 and popular Ropewalks rock and roll bar The Attic.

Under the plans, the roof terrace spanning Parr Street Studios plus the lower floors, as well as a hotel, would also be removed.

Parr Street Studios has been at the forefront of Liverpool’s rich recording history for more than 25 years with the likes of Echo & The Bunnymen (recording Ocean Rain, when the studio was named Amazon), Coldplay (Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head) and Black Sabbath (Forbidden) making records there.

According to the new plans, the rooftop terrace would be replaced with a two-storey extension taking the building to seven storeys while the ground floor would contain 12,000 sq feet of retail space with the residential and hotel elements above.

The application also states the refurbishment of the Parr Street Studios building would contain 28 hotel rooms and 56 apartments and would be followed by the construction of a new six-storey structure containing 12 apartments and eight hotel rooms at the adjacent number 33.

The final part of phase one would see the existing buildings at 43 to 45 demolished with the construction of an eight-storey building containing a further 24 apartments in its place.

The second phase would see the construction of the final eight-storey block built on the site of demolished warehouse buildings spanning numbers 47 to 55. This block would contain the remaining 22 apartments.

The planner for the project is Mosaic Town Planning, and Architecture JD-Home has drawn up the proposals.

Studio 2 was recently taken over by new management suggesting they hoped to inject new emerging music into the live venue.

During the last year, Studio 2 has seen the likes of John Head, Junior Brother, Richard Dawson and Julia Bardo all take to the stage.

Full Article: https://www.getintothis.co.uk/2020/04/liverpools-parr-street-studios-attic-and-ropewalk-buildings-to-be-demolished-if-new-apartment-plans-approved/

Seriously?  Six to Eight stories?  That's completely overshadow the area.  I wouldn't mind but there is a waste ground car park literally a hundred steps away, opposite The Brink.  Why can't the build the fuck on that??

Popcorn's Art

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:58 pm »

Seriously?  Six to Eight stories?  That's completely overshadow the area.  I wouldn't mind but there is a waste ground car park literally a hundred steps away, opposite The Brink.  Why can't the build the fuck on that??

To be fair, you can see the logic. We've hardly any apartment blocks and plenty of music venues :butt

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2020, 04:47:10 pm »

Ah that's fucking shit news. Good little venue. Saw Richard Dawson there recently. Played a few times too and its always been lovely.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2020, 05:37:56 pm »
To be fair, you can see the logic. We've hardly any apartment blocks and plenty of music venues :butt

Oh yeah, and deffo not enough hotels, because tourism will be massive with all the travel restrictions in place :butt

I also hate the high-rise buildings. Why can't the council not cap all new developments to the same height as the existing surrounding buildings?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #334 on: May 1, 2020, 09:22:28 am »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 1, 2020, 11:11:39 am »
Ive been taking my mam to the Linda McCartney centre at the rear of the Royal.

They've been working on the new Royal for a while now, but it's only opening up two wards, as recovery wards.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: May 1, 2020, 10:38:05 pm »
Ive been taking my mam to the Linda McCartney centre at the rear of the Royal.

They've been working on the new Royal for a while now, but it's only opening up two wards, as recovery wards.
Hope your mum is ok mate.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2020, 05:29:12 pm »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2020, 12:45:30 pm »
Just seen a huge cloud of smoke over Liverpool way
#Sausages

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2020, 01:41:45 pm »
Just been on the BBC news.

Newton-Le-Willows, apparently .

Massive blaze in an industrial building.  20 appliances in attendance.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2020, 12:03:29 am »
Just been on the BBC news.

Newton-Le-Willows, apparently .

Massive blaze in an industrial building.  20 appliances in attendance.
I could see the smoke from both Crosby and Aintree this afternoon. It looked massive even from there.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2020, 08:22:58 am »
From the news footage last night I've never seen black smoke like it, it was like that Buncefield fuel fire.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2020, 08:33:21 am »
From the news footage last night I've never seen black smoke like it, it was like that Buncefield fuel fire.

BBC said it was a plstics recycling plant, that stuff really does chuck off thick black smoke.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2020, 10:01:38 am »
Michael Angelis gone 😔
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/31/michael-angelis-thomas-the-tank-engine-narrator-dies-aged-76?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

Awww sad news that , Don’t know whether it’s just me or a scouse thing but the first thing I would relate him to is boys from the black stuff yet the article mentions most other things and says “stints “in boys from the black stuff . Imo one of the classic  ever episodes in a series  on tv was George’s Last Ride from the series bit surprised that series doesn’t get more prominence in the article . RIP Michael

Edit that guardian article has him at 76 he was actually 68
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:04:21 am by gazzam1963 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2020, 11:31:42 am »
Very sad, RIP Michael.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2020, 06:28:12 pm »
Always think of No Surrender.  What a great film, and almost impossible to get hold of.

Popcorn's Art

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #348 on: June 6, 2020, 04:53:32 pm »
Allergen Towers was left in a proper mess as over 500 gas canisters dozens of bottles and cans left after a lockdown park party. if you are going to gather in large covid ignorant groups
Clear your shit up afterwards.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #349 on: June 6, 2020, 04:56:12 pm »
Scumbags the lot of them.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #350 on: June 6, 2020, 07:04:57 pm »
Scumbags the lot of them.

To be fair lad they went back today and cleared it up.

I’m way too old for all that carry on but if I was 18/19 and saw the beaches / parks absolutely chocka as they have been I’d have been all over something like that back in the day.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #351 on: June 6, 2020, 07:24:40 pm »

I’m way too old for all that carry on but if I was 18/19 and saw the beaches / parks absolutely chocka as they have been I’d have been all over something like that back in the day.

Not really any excuse for the state it was left in, and can guarantee it was probably a small number who came back (if it was them at all) to clean up compared to who was actually there.

The damage parties like this have caused in places around the country is frankly just fucking ridiculous.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: June 6, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »
I don't buy the Echo so didn't even know Richard Huws' Bucket Fountain was under threat of being moved.  This article is from February last year so hoping the plan was dropped.  As if we need more fucking boutique hotels - wtf is one of them anyway??

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/people-dont-want-liverpools-bucket-15801178

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #353 on: June 6, 2020, 09:12:20 pm »
I don't buy the Echo so didn't even know Richard Huws' Bucket Fountain was under threat of being moved.  This article is from February last year so hoping the plan was dropped.  As if we need more fucking boutique hotels - wtf is one of them anyway??

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/people-dont-want-liverpools-bucket-15801178

Elliott Lawless isn’t going to be building anything for a while. All his current projects have stalled after backers dropped out since he got arrested.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 6, 2020, 11:13:10 pm »
Elliott Lawless isn’t going to be building anything for a while. All his current projects have stalled after backers dropped out since he got arrested.

Shows you how much I've been paying attention 😅 Some good news at least!

Popcorn's Art

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #355 on: June 6, 2020, 11:33:16 pm »

Yeah just came on to say that it was as good as new by six pm when I went out again. Fantastic stuff whoever tidied that up.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #356 on: June 6, 2020, 11:35:24 pm »
Shows you how much I've been paying attention 😅 Some good news at least!

It’s good and bad as his many developments around the city are not mothballed which has cost a loss of jobs and an eyesore of semi built buildings.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 7, 2020, 12:17:14 pm »
It’s good and bad as his many developments around the city are not mothballed which has cost a loss of jobs and an eyesore of semi built buildings.

That's been carrying on for years though, not just with him.  Various shell companies being set up so money is creamed off the top, so businesses go bust and leave half finished buildings everywhere.  The one up on Shaw Street was derelict for the best part of two years, and the one on London Road where the Odeon used to be is only now just being finished up - that's at least two years late as well.  Think they were both being built by the same company.  That new one up on Islington is missing a lot of finishing touches too; that was at least a year late.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: June 7, 2020, 03:55:31 pm »
That's been carrying on for years though, not just with him.  Various shell companies being set up so money is creamed off the top, so businesses go bust and leave half finished buildings everywhere.  The one up on Shaw Street was derelict for the best part of two years, and the one on London Road where the Odeon used to be is only now just being finished up - that's at least two years late as well.  Think they were both being built by the same company.  That new one up on Islington is missing a lot of finishing touches too; that was at least a year late.

There are a lot of developments unfinished due to running out of cash , being scams set up etc but Elliot Lawlesses company as far as I know completed all there developments over the last few years and they’d actually bought a couple of incomplete sites as well but only once he was arrested have the deck of cards started to fall .

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #359 on: June 7, 2020, 03:58:03 pm »
There are a lot of developments unfinished due to running out of cash , being scams set up etc but Elliot Lawlesses company as far as I know completed all there developments over the last few years and they’d actually bought a couple of incomplete sites as well but only once he was arrested have the deck of cards started to fall .

Yeah up to now he seems to have completed all of the developments they started. Backers all pulled the plug once he was arrested though and imagine they’ll stay as they are for a while.