Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446232 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #3840 on: December 12, 2018, 03:01:30 pm »
hoping someone can provide his stats last night - some of the most towering headers I've seen.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3841 on: December 12, 2018, 03:11:40 pm »
hoping someone can provide his stats last night - some of the most towering headers I've seen.

Yeah agreed.

I'm usually sat first few rows of KOP but last night i was sat much higher in KD stand.

I love my usual spec but you really don't see certain aspects of the game as well, but last night It brought home just how immense Virgil's heading ability is.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3842 on: December 12, 2018, 03:12:33 pm »
Players don't bother jumping against him to compete sometimes I feel, he's just that big and dominant a presence.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3843 on: December 12, 2018, 03:14:49 pm »
I think you need to take account of the angle of the challenge - if VVD had tackled like that 'head on' - ie in line with Merten's run, it could have been considered dangerous because there would be a good chance that he'd collide with the forward. As he tackles across the line of the run and timed it perfectly, the fact that his follow through caught him was unfortunate, but not dangerous. I didn't even think it was a foul, let alone a card.
that was my thoughts on the situation.

also I thought he caught him as part of his natural follow through, rather than similar tackles where the leg is left out to purposely harm the attacker. i.e. not reckless, just accidental and part of this contact sport of ours

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3844 on: December 12, 2018, 03:16:25 pm »
Players don't bother jumping against him to compete sometimes I feel, he's just that big and dominant a presence.

There's a fair bit of that against him. You can see people think 'fuck that' when they realize they're up against him. Allison's going to start to have this affect soon too. Mo has it. Suarez had it. Gerrard had it. You get a team with 4/5 of these players and the opposition are beaten before they kick a ball.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3845 on: December 12, 2018, 03:59:42 pm »

Not sure there is a towering header stat ;D.  Seriously though this guy is adding years to the lives of Liverpool fans. Not being crippled with anxiety from every corner and free kick is priceless.

Offline robertsb

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3846 on: December 12, 2018, 05:20:00 pm »
that was my thoughts on the situation.

also I thought he caught him as part of his natural follow through, rather than similar tackles where the leg is left out to purposely harm the attacker. i.e. not reckless, just accidental and part of this contact sport of ours

Surely this was in fact a foul AGAINST VVD ??.  He won the ball cleanly, no contact anywhere near the player.  The player then made contact with VVDs foot as he came through and so therefore surely it was the attacker that was not in control of his movement and could quite easily have endangered VVDs safety.  Had the Napoli player made contact seconds later, it would have been VVDs shin and so would surely have been a foul on VVD.  It is purely the fact that it was the studs the Napoli player contacted that is even generating discussion.

In reality, this would never have been given for VVD but if you take it literally I believe my interpretation still stands.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3847 on: December 12, 2018, 05:30:24 pm »
I'm surprised that so many people (maybe not here, but elsewhere) think it's a red card. Personally, I think VVD got the ball with the outside of his foot and that's what matters. He doesn't go in with a straight leg against the opponent. There is no intent whatsoever to do so. Had he got the ball with his studs, then I could understand where people saw the error, but now I don't even think it's a freekick for Napoli.

Is anyone on here a qualified referee who could help explain it? It's not like it's gonna change the outcome of the game, just interested to hear how the situation should be interpreted.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #3848 on: December 12, 2018, 06:06:33 pm »
Not sure if this is the place for it, but just seen this version of his song. Made me tear up a bit, brilliant singer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Clq1d3Pn_k

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #3849 on: December 12, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
That was never a foul. The ref was thrash
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #3850 on: December 12, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
That was never a foul. The ref was thrash
So if a Burnley yard dog followed through on Salah with studs up above his ankle you'd be happy with play being waved on?

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3851 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:39 pm »
The context again is vital because none of the Burnley challenges were to prevent a 1v1 with the keeper with the team's main attacking weapon near the halfway line. Secondly, Van Dijk's tackle was not a desperate lunge in an attempt to win the ball with no concern for the opponent. It was a careful sliding interception in which the opposition striker was unlucky to get caught. The Mee tackle was by the touchline and he was nearly at the ball. He didn't need to slide to get the ball, but he did it anyway. Van Dijk had to slide to get the ball or the striker was through on goal. Massive difference in what happened, which must be taken into account when interpreting Klopp's comments on Burnley. He wasn't saying that Burnley shouldn't be aggressive but that they were being needlessly aggressive when a simple interception would have sufficed.
I honestly think we probably have to ask Klopp what he means exactly, then.

I just like to err on the side of what I wouldn't like to happen to one of our players, as I sure as hell would think if Smalling pulls such a tackle on Salah this weekend, I'd at least expect a yellow.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: December 12, 2018, 11:25:55 pm »
I honestly think we probably have to ask Klopp what he means exactly, then.

I just like to err on the side of what I wouldn't like to happen to one of our players, as I sure as hell would think if Smalling pulls such a tackle on Salah this weekend, I'd at least expect a yellow.

To be completely fair, I would be looking for every manner in which to justify why Smalling should receive a red in a similar situation, but equally objectively, I think that isn't a foul if Smalling put in the exact same kind of tackle that Van Dijk did (controlled and well-timed).
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3854 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:06 am »
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/liverpool-napoli-champions-league-virgil-van-dijk-kalidou-koulibaly-a8678821.html

;D That reporter seems to have literary ambitions beyond writing about football games,also he has misspelled our goalkeepers name in his first sentence.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #3855 on: December 13, 2018, 08:25:06 am »
Knowing our situation with CBs, just watch Utd and Elbows try and injure him on Sunday
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: December 16, 2018, 10:38:34 am »
Van Dijk will score today ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3857 on: December 16, 2018, 12:31:36 pm »
Van Dijk will score today ...

Ideally into the United net(s)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3858 on: December 16, 2018, 01:12:18 pm »
His freckles are soooo cute.......[emoji7]

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3859 on: December 16, 2018, 01:19:07 pm »
Is it time to release VVD from his cotton wool chamber?

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3860 on: December 16, 2018, 06:02:25 pm »
He's so good, Lukaku got 0 change out of him, whether it was in the air or up close physically
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3861 on: December 16, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »
Lukaku in his pocket all day
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3862 on: December 16, 2018, 06:06:15 pm »
He's so good, Lukaku got 0 change out of him, whether it was in the air or up close physically

Lukaku had zero shots today. None even attempted. That's how deep in the defenders' pockets he was. Beautiful.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3863 on: December 16, 2018, 06:24:57 pm »
Lukaku stopped trying in 1v1s against Virgil after a point. This was probably the biggest physical test in the league and completely bossed him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #3864 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:30 pm »
Colossus.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3865 on: December 17, 2018, 01:44:14 am »
Lukaku stopped trying in 1v1s against Virgil after a point. This was probably the biggest physical test in the league and completely bossed him.

But Lukaku is slow now that he's so big. I think there will be tougher tests. I can't name them, but I'm sure...

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3866 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:28 am »
But Lukaku is slow now that he's so big. I think there will be tougher tests. I can't name them, but I'm sure...
Yeah. Luk is no more top class striker.

Try Lewandoski, Suarez, Bale, Aguero, Aubemayang, Kane(?)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3867 on: December 17, 2018, 01:50:59 am »

Yes but the poster above said 'in the league' and 'physical test'. Aguero isn't a physical test, per se, while we already played Tottenham once and Kane wasn't good, and the rest of those players are not in this league.

Maybe the next games against Kane and Aubameyang will be the biggest tests in the PL.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3868 on: December 17, 2018, 01:52:58 am »

Don't think any of those are physical tests though. Lukaku was last season but as rightly pointed out he's just a fat lump now. I'd say Giroud is a good physical test. Deeney maybe but he's just Lukaku-lite and came out of the game against us last season with a massive crush on VVD.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3869 on: December 17, 2018, 01:59:05 am »

He chews them up and shits them out for breakfast bro, please?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3870 on: December 17, 2018, 02:01:51 am »

Yeah there really isn't a physical challenge Van Dijk wouldn't be up for. I'd pay money to watch Akinfenwa bounce off him.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3871 on: December 17, 2018, 04:59:33 am »
You make him up to be like a parrot fish eating coral and making the beautiful white sand that end up on the Caribbean beaches.   ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3872 on: December 17, 2018, 07:50:02 am »

Mitrovic won most of his aerial battles against him (only striker I can remember to match him in the air). We just readjusted and picked up the second balls instead - Lost the battle, won the war...

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3873 on: December 17, 2018, 09:57:38 am »
From Shaq@AnfieldAn on Twitter:

Just saw this, van Dijk in the background ♥️

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3874 on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:16 am »
He was solid as usual, but that must have been one of his easiest games this season. A nice rest ahead of the busy Christmas schedule.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: December 17, 2018, 01:22:46 pm »
Nice picture. They know how good he is don't they? You always got the impression that the defenders were thinking "Oh for fucks sake" after Mignolet's fuck ups, but now they know while he'll make the odd error, he's about as good as you're going to get.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3876 on: December 18, 2018, 08:41:55 pm »
Has anyone got a video of his shot va napoli? Haven’t seen a replay yet and just remembered. Was on the front row but it seemed far out and went close
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3877 on: December 18, 2018, 10:56:33 pm »
Has anyone got a video of his shot va napoli? Haven’t seen a replay yet and just remembered. Was on the front row but it seemed far out and went close

Sorry mate, I don't have that. I can, however, post his shot V Everton if that helps?

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3878 on: December 18, 2018, 10:57:55 pm »
Sorry mate, I don't have that. I can, however, post his shot V Everton if that helps?

Hahahaha
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3879 on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:13 pm »
He is the single most important player in our team now, in my opinion.

Unbelievable difference.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly