Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 280973 times)

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #2120 on: February 9, 2024, 12:10:26 pm »
Sky have the following Ken Burns documentaries available:

The US and The Holocaust
US Civil War
Vietnam War

I’ve downloaded them all but time is sparse due to work the next couple of weeks - which should I start watching first?

I preferred the Civil War one to Vietnam but both are really good.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2121 on: February 13, 2024, 03:44:11 pm »
Murder Trial - The Disappearance of Renee and Andrew MacRae

2-parter now on BBC.  Really good.  Watched both back-to-back last night.

A look into the heart of the long-awaited murder trial related to one of Scotland’s most notorious unsolved mysteries - the sudden, unexpected disappearance of Renee MacRae and her three-year-old son Andrew, and the Scottish criminal justice system’s 46-year quest for justice. Nearly half a century on, William MacDowell, a senior member of staff at Renee’s husband’s construction firm, stands accused of killing the young mother and son, disposing of their bodies, and concealing these crimes for decades.

Loads of archive footage and interviews from back in 1976 mixed with extensive courtroom footage from the actual trial in 2022.

Really sad story but interesting nonetheless. Wouldnt surprise me if there's a drama or movie out soon.

Watched this last night, don't know if I missed anything but why did they not bring the guy to trial back in the seventies? There was no new evidence apart from blood found on the carpet of her boot? Very good documentary though.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2122 on: March 13, 2024, 04:16:14 pm »
Watching Around The World In 80 Days With Michael Palin on the BBC iplayer, watched the first couple of episode forgot how good this series was [Michael Palin did the trip 35 years ago in 1988, & i remember the series when it was first aired. ::)] was planned for a 6 part series but they managed to add another episode due to getting so much footage on crossing to India on the Dhow.
#Sausages

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2123 on: March 18, 2024, 02:08:50 pm »
Nothing earth shattering, nothing moving etc but if you were a 90's teen a very decent little Doc

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qnVI9rZb2p8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qnVI9rZb2p8</a>

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2124 on: March 19, 2024, 05:13:29 am »
Watching Around The World In 80 Days With Michael Palin on the BBC iplayer, watched the first couple of episode forgot how good this series was [Michael Palin did the trip 35 years ago in 1988, & i remember the series when it was first aired. ::)] was planned for a 6 part series but they managed to add another episode due to getting so much footage on crossing to India on the Dhow.

Its a real time capsule that one

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2125 on: March 24, 2024, 03:27:33 am »
Just watched the Alex Ferguson documentary Never Give In on Ch4. Really interesting if you’re into your football history.

Covers him growing up in Glasgow, how he became a player, met his late wife, through managing Aberdeen, obviously onto United (but not enough about them that it’s off putting). All sandwiched by what happened with his brain haemorrhage and how the biggest worry for him was losing all his memories.

Definitely worth a watch
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:31:01 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2126 on: April 15, 2024, 07:48:30 pm »
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/defiance-fighting-the-far-right

Been watching this. As the child of immigrants, it's pretty scary in places. Some of the people they interview, fair play to them, they stood up when needed and helped make this country much better.

Watched episode 2 today and there's some significant parallels to Hillsborough in the way the police tried to control the narrative after they fucked up and got away with it for decades. Well worth watching.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 07:59:41 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2127 on: April 16, 2024, 03:55:23 pm »
Just finished the Cold War one on Netflix.  Enjoyed it especially the break up of the Soviet Union - some of the stuff going on in 1991-92 in countries like Lithuania i wasn't aware of.