Author Topic: Loan Watch 2018-2019  (Read 181477 times)

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
Loan Watch 2018-2019
« on: July 26, 2018, 02:22:48 pm »
Thought I'd get this underway a bit early as players like Ejaria and Kent are already taking part in Europa League games and the Belgian league gets underway tomorrow night.

Last seasons loanees have returned to the club with varying success so far. Wilson, Awoniyi, Allan, George (and probably Grujic) have all returned and signed new long term deals at the club, Sturridge has seemingly worked himself back into Klopp's plans, Origi, Ojo and Markovic have been given the chance to impress in pre-season, and Flanagan has been sold (with Origi, Randall, and Chirivella likely to follow according to the Echo).

As for this season, the loan list isn't too large currently but will likely expand pretty heavily once the squad are back from the US. Currently looks like:

Harry Wilson - Derby - Championship
Ovie Ejaria - Rangers - SPL and Europa League
Ryan Kent - Rangers - SPL and Europa League
Taiwo Awoniyi - Gent - Belgian Pro League and Europa League
Anderson Arroyo - Gent - Belgian Pro League and Europa League
Allan - Frankfurt - Bundesliga and Europa League
Shamal George - Tranmere - League 2
Adam Bogdan - Hibernian - SPL and Europa League
Ben Woodburn - Sheffield Utd - Championship
Herbie Kane - Doncaster - League 1
Danny Ings - Southampton - Premier League
Marko Grujic - Hertha Berlin - Bundesliga
Connor Randall - Rochdale - League 1
Loris Karius - Beşiktaş - Super Lig
Corey Whelan - Crewe - League 2
Sheyi Ojo - Reims - Ligue 1

Nathaniel Clyne - Bournemouth - Premier League
Kamil Grabara - AGF Aarhus - Danish Super League
Ovie Ejaria - Reading - Championship

We also know that we've been in negotiations with Cardiff about sending Grujic back on loan there for the season, but it depends on him signing a new deal here or not. Some talk of Woodburn also being expected to go somewhere for the season.

Not-very-in-depth analysis of the clubs the loanees are at below:

Derby: Another season of making the play offs and failing to win them for Derby last year, since then they've lost Gary Rowett as manager and replaced him with Frank Lampard. Looking at their business for the summer and Lampard seems to be recruiting pretty well, he's of course got Wilson from us who was excellent in the Championship last season, used his contacts at Chelsea to loan the highly rated Mason Mount (14 goals from attacking midfield playing for Vitesse last season), and brought in Jack Marriott and Florian Jozefzoon on permanent deals. Marriott scored 27 goals in League 1 last season. Wilson played primarily on the left for Hull last season, if that remains the same at Derby he'll be in direct competition with Tom Lawrence who had a decent season for them on the left last time out (6 goals, 8 assists). Derby look quite light when it comes to right attackers though, so it's possible that he could slot in there, where he'd be competing with fellow new signing Jozefzoon.

Rangers: Think we're all aware of everything that has happened at Rangers over the summer already. Gerrard has a big job ahead of him getting together a squad capable of challenging Celtic, and Ejaria and Kent are apart of that squad. Rangers have already played twice in the Europa League in which they beat Macedonian side Shkupi 2-0 on aggregate. I didn't manage to catch either game but I did watch the highlights and Ejaria looked like he had a few bright moments with some nice through balls, sadly the finishing wasn't up to the same standard from the attackers. Ejaria was subbed on in both games, Kent wasn't signed in time to be registered for the squad but he will be included for the next round (the first leg of which is played tonight). Gerrard lined them up 4-1-4-1 in both games.

Gent: Gent will be competing in the Europa League as well as their domestic league, entering at the next round. They're a step up from Royal Excel Mouscron, the club Awoniyi was at last season. They played with just 1 striker last year, looking at their squad list and it seems his main rival for that starting spot will be from Giorgi Kvilitaia, a new £2.5m signing they've made from the Austrian league (10 goals in that league last season). Yuya Kubo could also be competition for that spot, but he mainly played behind the striker for them last season.

Frankfurt: They finished 8th last season but managed to qualify for the Europa League group stage by winning one of the domestic trophies. They've got players like Gelson Fernandes, Jonathan De Guzman, Marc Stendera, and a new signing from Real Madrid Lucas Torro capable of playing at CM, so Allan will have a fight on his hands to get a starting spot.

Tranmere: Back in the football league after 3 years in the Conference/National League. Scott Davies was been Tranmere's first choice keeper for those 3 years and he'll be George's main competition for a starting spot, although he has been carrying an injury during pre-season so hopefully George will get the opportunity to start the season as #1. Was quite surprised to see that Tranmere are out at 14/1 to get relegated considering they're newly promoted. They're also 20/1 to win the title.

Hibernian: Like Rangers, Hibs have already played 2 Europa League games, beating Runavik from the Faroe Islands 12-5 on aggregate. Bogan started both of those games, although their first choice keeper from last season was out injured so difficult to know if he'll keep his spot once he returns. They have Greek side Asteras Tripolis in the next round, the first leg is played tonight.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2019, 11:59:58 am by JoeCole »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Loan Watch 2018-2019
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:27:55 pm »
Cheers for this, looking forward to following Wilson and Awoniyi especially this season

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
Nice one JoeCole, you're a star for doing this. Always interesting to follow our loanees but it can be quite difficult to do so and these threads make it so much easier, so cheers.

For the first time in my life I have a reason to follow Rangers, though it feels a bit dirty to do so! Could be a key year for Wilson, and Awoniyi seems more and more intriguing the more I hear of him.Do wonder if Woodburn will head out too, as it doesn't seem like he'll get much of a look in here and I'm not sure if there's much benefit of him spending another year in the u23s.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:18:43 pm »
Nice one JoeCole, you're a star for doing this. Always interesting to follow our loanees but it can be quite difficult to do so and these threads make it so much easier, so cheers.

For the first time in my life I have a reason to follow Rangers, though it feels a bit dirty to do so! Could be a key year for Wilson, and Awoniyi seems more and more intriguing the more I hear of him.Do wonder if Woodburn will head out too, as it doesn't seem like he'll get much of a look in here and I'm not sure if there's much benefit of him spending another year in the u23s.
I think Woodburn would be best served by a loan. Norwich interested in him I believe, would be nice if he could go fill James Maddison’s role for them for a season.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:02:25 pm »
Derby won 3-0 in a pre-season game against Southampton the other day. Wilson started and played about 60 minutes. No goal or assist but he apparently looked very dangerous. From all accounts Mason Mount was running the show - hate saying it but it looks like he could be some player.

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:11:16 pm »
Derby won 3-0 in a pre-season game against Southampton the other day. Wilson started and played about 60 minutes. No goal or assist but he apparently looked very dangerous. From all accounts Mason Mount was running the show - hate saying it but it looks like he could be some player.

mason mount is exceptionally talented, him and Wilson together could tear up the championship. Will be interesting to see where mount goes after he inevitably leaves Chelsea for gametime.

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 07:05:53 pm »
Ejaria & Kent both starting for Rangers

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:20:57 pm »
I love Joe Cole

and Jozefzoon is a PHENOMENAL name
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:22:38 pm by mallin9 »
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:30:31 pm »
Bogdan seemingly at fault for both goals in Hibs' Europa qualifier, going by the BBC text.
AHA!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:32 pm »
Bogdan seemingly at fault for both goals in Hibs' Europa qualifier, going by the BBC text.

Scotland, being the graveyard of goalkeepers, has somehow managed to magnify his shit powers.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:01 pm »

They can't send him back can they? Oh god!!!!

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 09:40:50 am »

Doesn't sound like him

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 11:06:40 am »
Kent looked dangerous is patches yesterday. Gerrard instructed the wide men to stick to the touchline and they did, but at times Rangers seemed reluctant to switch the ball to Kent quickly enough. Kent's run and shot got the corner from which Rangers scored.
Ejaria looked ok but the Rangers midfield was woeful, and Ejaria was guilty of giving the ball away needlessly several times.

Flanagan (permanent I know), also looked pretty poor playing at LB, but I imagine it'll take him a while to get up to speed given the small amount of games he's played over the last few years

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 11:28:36 am »
I think Woodburn would be best served by a loan. Norwich interested in him I believe, would be nice if he could go fill James Maddison’s role for them for a season.
Work colleague of mine is a Wigan fan, he mentioned to me the other day that there is talk of Woodburn going there.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 11:34:28 am »
Kent looked dangerous is patches yesterday. Gerrard instructed the wide men to stick to the touchline and they did, but at times Rangers seemed reluctant to switch the ball to Kent quickly enough. Kent's run and shot got the corner from which Rangers scored.
Ejaria looked ok but the Rangers midfield was woeful, and Ejaria was guilty of giving the ball away needlessly several times.

Flanagan (permanent I know), also looked pretty poor playing at LB, but I imagine it'll take him a while to get up to speed given the small amount of games he's played over the last few years
At some point, Gerrard should consider moving him to right back and play a natural left footer there

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 12:03:38 pm »
Is it triue that the loan deadline and transfer deadline are different?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 02:06:39 pm »
At some point, Gerrard should consider moving him to right back and play a natural left footer there

Rangers captain is at right back, not a chance

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 03:01:35 pm »

Just seen the goals (BBC website if anyone wants them)

The first was a shocker. Player almost on by-line but went in at near post off Bogdans hand. Poor keeping.

I'm not sure what the hell he was supposed to do with the second one mind. Same oppo player spanked it from 25-30 yards and it swerved away from him and in off the post. no fault on that one for me

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »
Just seen the goals (BBC website if anyone wants them)

The first was a shocker. Player almost on by-line but went in at near post off Bogdans hand. Poor keeping.

I'm not sure what the hell he was supposed to do with the second one mind. Same oppo player spanked it from 25-30 yards and it swerved away from him and in off the post. no fault on that one for me

Was at Easter Road last night and he was getting it from the crowd. Not even good enough for Hibs in my opinion, should give way to Marciano when he's back.

I do wonder how Liverpool can recoup any amount of money for him, who's lining up cash in hand for a keeper who shipped 5 against the team that finished 4th in the Faroe Islands.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 09:20:00 am »
Awoniyi - Gent's season got underway last night with a 3-2 away defeat at Standard Liege. Awoniyi started the game on the bench but came on for the final 20 minutes, worth noting though that he missed the last few games of last season with injury and didn't play for us during pre-season, so him not starting the first few games here doesn't necessarily mean he won't be first choice further down the line.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:52 am »
Was at Easter Road last night and he was getting it from the crowd. Not even good enough for Hibs in my opinion, should give way to Marciano when he's back.

I do wonder how Liverpool can recoup any amount of money for him, who's lining up cash in hand for a keeper who shipped 5 against the team that finished 4th in the Faroe Islands.

Think we’ve known for a while we won’t get any money for him. If I remember rightly his contract is up at the end of the season.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 10:38:17 am »
Awoniyi - Gent's season got underway last night with a 3-2 away defeat at Standard Liege. Awoniyi started the game on the bench but came on for the final 20 minutes, worth noting though that he missed the last few games of last season with injury and didn't play for us during pre-season, so him not starting the first few games here doesn't necessarily mean he won't be first choice further down the line.
He got into good position twice and could have tested the keeper at least. Hope with few games, he will get going..

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 04:11:15 pm »
He got into good position twice and could have tested the keeper at least. Hope with few games, he will get going..
Have a feeling he'll find his way into the starting lineup before too long. Looked a threat in his 20 ish minutes.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 04:15:02 pm »

He's on a season long loan and is out of contract in the summer. We aren't getting anything for him.

He's clearly just refused to be sold and collected his wages for the duration of his contract, which given it was likely the highest wage he was ever going to get made financial sense for him to do.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 04:23:44 pm »
He's on a season long loan and is out of contract in the summer. We aren't getting anything for him.

He's clearly just refused to be sold and collected his wages for the duration of his contract, which given it was likely the highest wage he was ever going to get made financial sense for him to do.

He was out for more than a year with an injury as well, he ruptured a cruciate ligament when he was on loan at Wigan.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:17 pm »
Harry Wilson on the winning sude as Derby beat Wolves 2-1.

And Scott Carson is Derby's keeper!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 2, 2018, 10:40:43 pm »
Bogdan the star tonight

Funny old game

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #27 on: August 3, 2018, 07:29:42 pm »
Harry Wilson in starting X1 for season opener tonight for Derby.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: August 3, 2018, 07:55:54 pm »
Anyone see how Ejaria and Kent got on for Rangers last night? Where did they play?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #29 on: August 3, 2018, 08:27:13 pm »
Anyone see how Ejaria and Kent got on for Rangers last night? Where did they play?

Thought Kent was his usual sloppy self but was ok. Ejaria looks a real talent, some way to go yet but could make it here

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 3, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »
Harry Wilson in starting X1 for season opener tonight for Derby.
Not really seen the ball much as far as I can tell, but only watching on a tv up in the corner of the pub where I am. Not looked amazing yet the few touches he's had though, but it's early days yet. That Mount's had a few decent moments. Ilori and Wisdom are playing too.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 3, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »
Reading have been better. Wilson has barely touched the ball although got into it a bit towards the end of the half.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #32 on: August 3, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »
Wilson has made some really nice runs in behind that Mount has tried to pick out.  Other than that, he's been both tidy and sloppy.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #33 on: August 3, 2018, 08:56:53 pm »
Not really seen the ball much as far as I can tell, but only watching on a tv up in the corner of the pub where I am. Not looked amazing yet the few touches he's had though, but it's early days yet. That Mount's had a few decent moments. Ilori and Wisdom are playing too.

Great to see that he's started! If he can get 30+ starts and score/assist a good amount, hopefully he can come back and be a squad member. With prices these days worst case we'd make a 20 million quid sale.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #34 on: August 5, 2018, 12:07:05 pm »
Ejaria and Kent both on the bench.
AHA!

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #35 on: August 5, 2018, 03:54:15 pm »
Ben Woodburn @ Sheffield United (Championship)

Herbie Kane @ Doncaster Rovers (League One)

Anderson Arroyo @ Mallorca B (Tercera Division / 4th tier)

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 5, 2018, 04:06:57 pm »
Out of the country for a couple weeks so reports will be pretty brief. Anyone feel free to weigh in with longer/more in depth ones though!

Harry Wilson - Derby - Started and played the full game as Lampard's Derby got off to a winning start away at Reading. Next up is home vs Leeds.
Ovie Ejaria - Rangers - Started and played 90 mins of Rangers' 1-1 home draw with Osijek in the Europa League, which was enough to see them through to the next round after previously winning the away leg of the tie. In today's draw with Aberdeen he started on the bench and came on for the final 8 minutes.
Ryan Kent - Rangers - Kent completed the Europa League game for Rangers and got a very good review from my Rangers supporting mate. Came on for the final 20 minutes of the draw with Aberdeen.
Taiwo Awoniyi - Gent - Started and played the full game as Gent drew 1-1 at home with Zulte.
Shamal George - Tranmere - On the bench as Tranmere came from 2 down to draw 2-2 with Stevenage on their return to the football league.
Adam Bogdan - Hibernian - Made 7 saves as Hibs picked up a 1-1 draw away in Greece to secure passage to the next round of the Europa. They're also currently 2-0 up at home to Motherwell.
Ben Woodburn - Sheffield Utd - Came on for the final 20 mins of Utd's 2-1 loss at home to Swansea. Yan Dhanda scored the winner for them.
Herbie Kane - Doncaster - Unused sub in Doncaster's 3-2 away win at Southend.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 5, 2018, 04:07:23 pm »
Ben Woodburn @ Sheffield United (Championship)

Herbie Kane @ Doncaster Rovers (League One)

Anderson Arroyo @ Mallorca B (Tercera Division / 4th tier)

Cheers, forgot about Arroyo!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 8, 2018, 07:40:26 am »
Seems like Woodburn came on at half-time, when Sheffield Utd were already 3-0 down, which is how the match finished. Hope he gets to start soon.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 12:29:23 am »
Cheers, forgot about Arroyo!
Shame he is so far down the divisions it would be good to see some clips of him.