Author Topic: Phil Scraton - a truly remarkable and extraordinary Liverpudlian  (Read 90952 times)

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Phil Scraton - a truly remarkable and extraordinary Liverpudlian
« Reply #80 on: June 7, 2021, 12:09:50 pm »
As someone who was at Hillsborough that day, I, like many of my fellow reds fans, witnessed the real truth of what happened. It makes me cold to think of what might have been had we not had someone like Phil fighting our corner throughout the past 30+ years. I think we all agree that he's much more deserving of just our gratitude & thanks. As a collective unit here on RAWK, could we not maybe communicate with the club, or the council, to put something in place to commemorate Phil for his tireless work in exposing the people who would have happily taken their grubby lies & deflections to the grave ?

The whole world believed the lie that manifested itself in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Phil Scraton was the pioneer of truth that helped drag the 'factual' events of what actually happened that day, & even more importantly, helped heap shame on those who's only agenda was to hide their scurrilous activities in the dirt.

Thanks for everything Phil.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #81 on: June 7, 2021, 03:41:44 pm »
As a collective unit here on RAWK, could we not maybe communicate with the club, or the council, to put something in place to commemorate Phil for his tireless work in exposing the people who would have happily taken their grubby lies & deflections to the grave ?
Can't say more right now Mick but watch this space, we're already on it......

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #82 on: June 7, 2021, 04:44:40 pm »
Great OP Timbo.

Good stuff indeed.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 7, 2021, 06:48:10 pm »
Can't say more right now Mick but watch this space, we're already on it......

Nice one.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 8, 2021, 10:26:30 am »
Listened to TAW podcast with him this morning. Always comes across so well and I can't believe the way the government, police and courts have handled this.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #85 on: June 8, 2021, 07:07:24 pm »
I'm neither educated enough or elequent enough, to express my feelings of that day, what happened to me, my friends and my Kop family,  though its the brilliance and utter dedication and humility of people like Phil, that make me proud and embarrass me in equal measure. There should be 10,000 Phils, sadly people are built for different fights, Phil, is built for this fight and as a man, is a 10,000 strong army by himself. Phil, you're not just a legend, you're not just a voice,  you are hope mate, and that is the greatest thing you gave to many.

Thank you.

A knobhead from the Kop
« Last Edit: June 8, 2021, 07:09:08 pm by CHOPPER »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #86 on: June 8, 2021, 07:22:45 pm »
Some brilliant, brilliant posts on here to describe what is a brilliant, courageous and remarkable man.

Others have put it more eloquently than myself but as a fanbase we indebted to people like Phil.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #87 on: June 9, 2021, 07:10:47 am »
That`s a brilliant and well deserved tribute Alan.

I went to the semi final the year before with my old fella and big brother and in 1989, we had 3 tickets in different parts of the ground (1 in the Leppings Lane lower). My dad didn`t want me to go into a part of the ground on my own as I was 15 at the time so he sold two of the tickets in a pub in Huyton the night before the game. Pat Van Den Hauwe had promised to get us two more (he didn`t actually get them and let us down) and My brother kept the third in the seating section above Leppings Lane.

I`ve always wondered what happened to the person who bought that one ticket in the lower section.

My brother ended up pulling people up from the ensuing disaster and helped the injured and saved people from dying. He, like so many was deeply affected by this for the rest of his life, never really got over it and found it difficult to talk about.

I`ve always felt a deep anger with the fact the Liverpool fans and in particular, my brother, who took action and saved lives in the face of no help from the emergency services, was then abused and called a murderer by the rest of this country and beyond for decades.

So I feel a deep seated gratitude to Phil and others for their dedication and tireless efforts spanning decades to finally make the world see the truth that my brother was not a murderer but was in fact a human being trying save people`s lives in the face of no help from anyone else.

My big brother passed away 10th April 2017 and 5 days later on the anniversary I thought of Phil and others who cleared his name before he passed away.

Thank you Phil, no words will ever really be able to explain what you did  :wave

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 9, 2021, 10:12:15 am »
Listened to the Anfield Wrap interview with Phil last week and was as impressed as I always am when I hear him speak.

Thanks for everything, Phil.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 9, 2021, 12:36:06 pm »
I'm neither educated enough or elequent enough, to express my feelings of that day, what happened to me, my friends and my Kop family,  though its the brilliance and utter dedication and humility of people like Phil, that make me proud and embarrass me in equal measure. There should be 10,000 Phils, sadly people are built for different fights, Phil, is built for this fight and as a man, is a 10,000 strong army by himself. Phil, you're not just a legend, you're not just a voice,  you are hope mate, and that is the greatest thing you gave to many.

Thank you.

A knobhead from the Kop

I think you've expressed it as eloquently as anyone could.

As long as we have Phil in our corner, there's always been hope, there'll always be hope.

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: June 9, 2021, 04:56:44 pm »
Thanks again everyone, unbelievable and so thoughtful x ... Someone sent this to me ... incredible to think it was filmed two decades ago ... and, given my comments in the interview about the Club then it's good to note that eventually they stepped up to the plate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIa1lwpmPMs&t=350s
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #91 on: June 9, 2021, 07:42:29 pm »
I think you've expressed it as eloquently as anyone could.

As long as we have Phil in our corner, there's always been hope, there'll always be hope.
In my observation, Chopper has a habit of selling himself short. He often nails something in just a few words though, as he has here.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 9, 2021, 07:47:23 pm »
In my observation, Chopper has a habit of selling himself short. He often nails something in just a few words though, as he has here.
+1

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #93 on: June 9, 2021, 10:12:05 pm »
I and many appreciate what you have done Phil - many would have gave up; but you never gave up hope. That is a true measure of any man or woman - to fight for what is the true and never waiver in that belief.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2021, 01:56:05 am »
I just watched the 'Kenny' documentary on the telly.

The Hillsborough part saw tears well up in me. I realised just how far I'd maybe pushed it to the back of my mind and why.

Just watching again and getting back in touch with those feelings again really drove home to me the sheer scale of the humanity of Kenny Dalglish and Phil Scraton, and also how both are woven forever into the fabric of this amazing city and football club.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2021, 08:23:29 am »
Every football fan the world over has players or a manager as their heroes and club legends, we have a Professor.

You stood up and fought for every single person effected by the horror of that day and finally let the world know The Truth.

Thank you ❤️

Offline Bluelagos

• Twinned with Redouagadougou. ITFC Fan but LFC Legend.
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Follow the town, up or down....ok, usually down
    • Hillsborough diaries.
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:28 am »
What I like about Phil (as well as what everyone else has said) is how he always puts witnesses first.

When I attended one of his lectures some students were struggling with the concept that the police were not initially helping people to escape the pens.   Tbf it is hard to get your head around.

He spotted a couple of survivors in the audience and invited us to share exactly what we witnessed.   Even though he is possibly the most knowledgeable expert on the disaster (along with a handful of barristers like Pete Wetherby and Mark George) he also has the intelligence and humility to defer (not the right word but I am not a prof.) to witnesses and let them tell their story.

A knowledgeable man but also humble with it.  A real gent and have always enjoyed the time I have spent in his company.   

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2021, 09:38:35 am »
A giant amongst men, the giver of truth and hope. The world could do with a lot more people like Phil

Online Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2021, 02:32:44 pm »
It's difficult to know where to begin in assessing Phil's work but I'd like to highlight the debt we survivors owe him. Survivors are often the forgotten ones in any disaster, I think people find it easier to empathise with the grief of bereavement rather than the trauma of survival. At Hillsborough – uniquely – the survivors were held by many to be responsible for the disaster. By putting survivors at the forefront of his work and any public comments he made he helped people to see that we were not only innocent, but had suffered greatly ourselves.

There is a saying that you should never meet the people whose work you admire, invariably you'll be disappointed. No doubt this is true for many sport stars, musicians, actors etc, but it is emphatically not the case here. Phil is a warm, generous man. His company is a pleasure I hope I can enjoy again soon.

Thank you Phil
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2021, 03:07:12 pm »
Wonderful original post and very well said. I think many on here know at close quarters the extent of how great the man is. We continue to be grateful and awe struck at his service, intelligence, and grace. 
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2021, 03:36:46 pm »
As someone born after the disaster, but who grew up in its wake, I just want to say people like Phil are what gives me faith in humanity, faith in a better future and faith in the power to stand up to those much bigger then us.

If it wasn´t for Phil, and the way he underpinned the campaign for justice and provided the direction that allowed it to come this far, Hillsborough might have been confined to history for those of us born after the disaster, the blame a mere object of historical debate, the bereaved and survivors left to live on in suffering, the names of those who never made it home lost into the mists of time.

Instead for my generation Hillsborough is as relevant as its ever been. It is not just a symbol of gross injustice, horror and tragedy, but as much a symbol of indomitable spirit and determination in the face of overwhelming odds, and the power of the little guy to not just have to accept gross injustice.

As you have ensured the name of Hillsborough lives on, so will your name live on whether you like it or not!  ;)

Also very nice to read others people contributions to this thread, and from the man himself.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2021, 05:19:09 pm »
The contributions have been so good and so comprehensive it's diffcult to add a great deal that hasn't already been said. Everyone on here knows what Phil has done for the campaign over the years and the praise he has recieved for it. But it's worth saying something about why the work Phil does has such power and the lessons we can all learn.

My first real interaction with Phil was at one remove when RAWK was preparing the Hillsborough booklet 'Hillsborough: Context and Consequences' in the run-up to the 20th anniversary. As Nikki's text was being finalised before it was set and the button pushed for production, it would go to Phil for comment and I remember the fundamental rule was 'if you don't have the evidence, it doesn't go in'.

Why does that matter when the fight is against lies and innuendo? Why, when the opposition has the power of the establishment behind them and access to the best lawyers and friends in the press, would you choose to fight with one hand behind your back? Because all it takes is one chink in the armour for the whole thing to be dismissed out of hand. "...Well, if they've got that wrong how can you trust any of the rest of it?..."

In his lectures Phil refers to the phrase "Speak Truth to Power". It's not his phrase and as an idea goes back to Ancient Greece. There are many famous exponents but what Phil adds to the mix is that he Speaks Truth to Power, but he also has the receipts and there will be footnotes.

The little red book that we produced on here had Professor Phil Scraton's DNA running through it. I still have a couple of copies and my own small part in it is one of the proudest things I have ever done. I used it just the other day as a reference in an exchange on social media. It's an unshakeable little thing. You can chuck it in the bin, you can ignore it, but what you can't do is find a single statement in it that isn't backed up by evidence.

And that is true a million-fold for the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report. It would have been easy to add innuendo and tempting to add a bit of snark, but by sticking to the facts and just the facts, it is another unshakeable document that stands as a bulwark against the lies of the SYP and their puppets like Goldberg.

It's shameful  that the lies that were started while Liverpool supporters were dying still have a ready audience even today. But that audience is smaller than it was. It's a stain on this country's judicial system that no one was held to account in a court of law for the unlawful killing of 96 people and the distress of countless others, but history will record the truth because of the work of people like Phil.

The legal fight might be over but there is still work to be done to make sure what happened can't happen again.

Phil is a far better man than I am. I have no idea how he maintains his composure, knowing the things he knows.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2021, 05:35:28 pm »
It's hard to put in to words just exactly the feeling of gratitude many of us have towards Phil. The fact that you fought tirelessly against the establishment and brought to light their lies and gave all you had for the cause shows the mark of the man. For the likes of myself that are not from the area or have anyone directly involved with the disaster in terms of family or friends then your work has really shed so much detail on exactly what happened on that day. Sincere thanks from myself and many like me that frequent these boards that have been kept in the loop thanks to your great selfless work. Plenty of nice words being said about you Phil and by all accounts you're a modest man that will not want to read them but you deserve all the words of praise.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2021, 07:15:18 pm »
He's a legend. I did my dissertation on the media coverage of Hillsborough and went to one of his talks in London with Margaret Aspinall, he was kind enough to look through what I had written and answer some questions directly so I could include them within my piece. A fantastic human being.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2021, 12:15:15 pm »
The most important voice of all is the one the speaks up for others...and  Phil Scraton has done an unbelievable job in doing just that. A brilliant man, who had done a brilliant job.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:16:03 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2021, 03:57:39 pm »
Will forever be in awe of Prof. Scraton.

A lot more posts have it better than I can put it, but a truly remarkable person.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2021, 04:13:56 pm »
Every football fan the world over has players or a manager as their heroes and club legends, we have a Professor.

You stood up and fought for every single person effected by the horror of that day and finally let the world know The Truth.

Thank you ❤️

He probably wouldn't want it, but I sometimes wonder whether his face should be on the 'faces' banner as the ultimate mark of respect.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2021, 08:03:09 am »
I'm not very good at words but I've seen some of the "behind the scenes" work that a number of people on RAWK have done/are doing.

Phil being one of them, an amazing man who will always reply to you if you with an explanation regardless.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2021, 09:27:15 am »
Wonderful opening post Timbo; very well written with lots of stuff that I find myself unable to express properly.
Phil Scraton; quite simply put, you sir, are a true hero.
Thank you for all your hard work and dedication in helping to show the truth to the world.

To quote Timbo... RAWK salutes you Phil.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2021, 01:26:31 pm »
Lovely OP Timbo, and echo all the comments in here since. An absolute hero.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2021, 10:07:45 pm »
There is very little I could say that hasn’t been said already, or as eloquently, but suffice to say that we will always owe the greatest debt of gratitude to this man.

Truly a legend who deserves the many plaudits given him.

Thank you doesn’t seem enough.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2021, 11:42:00 pm »
The contributions have been so good and so comprehensive it's diffcult to add a great deal that hasn't already been said. Everyone on here knows what Phil has done for the campaign over the years and the praise he has recieved for it. But it's worth saying something about why the work Phil does has such power and the lessons we can all learn.

My first real interaction with Phil was at one remove when RAWK was preparing the Hillsborough booklet 'Hillsborough: Context and Consequences' in the run-up to the 20th anniversary. As Nikki's text was being finalised before it was set and the button pushed for production, it would go to Phil for comment and I remember the fundamental rule was 'if you don't have the evidence, it doesn't go in'.

Why does that matter when the fight is against lies and innuendo? Why, when the opposition has the power of the establishment behind them and access to the best lawyers and friends in the press, would you choose to fight with one hand behind your back? Because all it takes is one chink in the armour for the whole thing to be dismissed out of hand. "...Well, if they've got that wrong how can you trust any of the rest of it?..."

In his lectures Phil refers to the phrase "Speak Truth to Power". It's not his phrase and as an idea goes back to Ancient Greece. There are many famous exponents but what Phil adds to the mix is that he Speaks Truth to Power, but he also has the receipts and there will be footnotes.

The little red book that we produced on here had Professor Phil Scraton's DNA running through it. I still have a couple of copies and my own small part in it is one of the proudest things I have ever done. I used it just the other day as a reference in an exchange on social media. It's an unshakeable little thing. You can chuck it in the bin, you can ignore it, but what you can't do is find a single statement in it that isn't backed up by evidence.

And that is true a million-fold for the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report. It would have been easy to add innuendo and tempting to add a bit of snark, but by sticking to the facts and just the facts, it is another unshakeable document that stands as a bulwark against the lies of the SYP and their puppets like Goldberg.

It's shameful  that the lies that were started while Liverpool supporters were dying still have a ready audience even today. But that audience is smaller than it was. It's a stain on this country's judicial system that no one was held to account in a court of law for the unlawful killing of 96 people and the distress of countless others, but history will record the truth because of the work of people like Phil.

The legal fight might be over but there is still work to be done to make sure what happened can't happen again.

Phil is a far better man than I am. I have no idea how he maintains his composure, knowing the things he knows.

Great booklet. I remember getting a few copies from yourself to hand out and educate people with. I still have it and use it to this day. Phil should be immensely proud, he's a giant of a man for the work he has done over the years and it'll never be forgotten.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2021, 08:28:05 am »
As a survivor of Hillsborough in particular the crush trying to get in the ground I would like to say a personal thanks to Phil.

There are many thousands who came away from that day uninjured but mentally scarred. I travelled from Liverpool in a transit van with 12 others. We all got seperated during that tragic day and only got reunited as one by one we turned up safely back at the van. One of the last to turn up was my own brother. You can imagine the turmoil.

One of my main memories is being emotionally distressed outside the ground afterwards and leaning back against a parked police car. 'Get off he fucking car or you're nicked' shouted the friendly PC. Charming. My brother spent some time in a physchiatric ward a few months after  and I think all the survivors had flashbacks for many years.

Phil has fought long and hard for the victims of Hillsborough, a truly remarkable man. A proper Red. Sorry for making this personal about me but reading others tributes to him helps me deal with it. Thanks Phil.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2021, 08:37:58 am »
Sorry for making this personal about me but reading others tributes to him helps me deal with it. Thanks Phil.
Please, Lad, never, EVER apologise for doing that. It IS "about" you, it's about everyone who was affected, directly or indirectly, by the events of that day and by the subsequent cover up of the cover up of the cover up and I am sure Phil would be the first to agree. Thank you for sharing part of your story here, it's so heartwarming to see the number of lives positively impacted upon by Phil's unswerving dedication to truth and justice.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2021, 12:42:10 pm »
I’m not from Liverpool so I’ve never really been sure I should comment on anything Hillsborough related. Always supported the families and survivors and their fight for truth and justice but just when it comes to discussion around it I’ve been a reader rather than a poster, aside from paying my respects in the silent thread every now and then when I’ve been giving cause to think about it.

I’ve watched and read a lot about it obviously. For me, being a Liverpool supporter is not just about supporting a football team but understanding the area and the people and I don’t believe you can fully understand the club and the people without trying to understand about everything related to Hillsborough.

I was 12 in 1989 and lived in Suffolk as I still do, but I remember the day vividly. I was shopping in Ipswich with my brother and best mate who was also a Liverpool fan and just after 3pm we’d nipped into Boots to look at the TVs (when Boots used to sell TVs and stuff like that!) to find out the score only to be met with something we couldn’t really comprehend at our ages at the time. I also recall watching the news that night and my aunty was staying with us and I can clearly recall her being angry that they were “always blaming the Police” as her husband at the time worked for the Met. That direction of reporting didn’t last long as we know all too well.

Anyway I guess this is a longwinded way of trying to say I’m not sure I’ve really got anything of substance or legitimacy that I could add but wanted to try.
I’ve always marvelled at the Herculean efforts to get to the truth, particularly by Phil, and the desire of the families to fight for such an incredible amount of time and never give in. When watching and reading about it I’m rarely not brought to tears so I have no idea how they’ve done what they have, other than the fact that they’re from Liverpool and in my view you guys are just made different (in a good way!).

Even as someone not from Liverpool its clear that Phil Scraton is a very special human being. Thank you Phil for everything you've done.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2021, 07:43:35 pm »
I've always felt like somewhat of an imposter when it comes to commenting substantially on Hillsborough simply because I wasn't affected by the tragedy in any personal sense...other than seeing the pain, anguish and sadness it did to the families of lost loved ones. However, I do remember that afternoon very clearly - 9 years old, watching Grandstand, pictures emerging from the semi final of some kind of 'trouble', running into the kitchen and telling my mum what seemed to be happening only for my mum to idlily dismiss me, assuming it was some childish observation.

Within a few hours it was clear that a tragedy was unfolding.

While I always took an interest in the issues surrounding the events of Hillsborough and was keenly aware of state-led forces at the centre of something awful, I don't think I really understood the horrors and subsequent injustices until I started reading RAWK. It was a wonderful resource to learn about what had happened...what really happened.

What also became clear was that the work of Phil Scraton was central to this bank of knowledge - many using him as their source material to help form their own thoughts and conclusions; learning from his insights and tireless research so that they could better understand and articulate the events of 15 April 1989.

We know so much because of Phil Scraton.

A teacher. A scholar. A campaigner. A good man.

Thank you Phil.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »
A remarkable tribute indeed to a remarkable and extraordinary man. Just read through the thread before posting and it struck me the depth of respect and affection, whether the post was long or short, for a human being one can only imagine before existed. The Hillsborough thread states, 'there are no words'. Timbo my friend, it's as close as I've read in tribute to those who exposed this heinous crime and the perpetrators of it. God bless you, Phil, the families and survivors. And God bless those we lost that day and subsequently.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:15:12 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2021, 03:33:48 pm »
Phil - you and me have communicated in the past but you'll probably not recall it and I wouldn't blame you at all!! I just want to add my total admiration for your unstinting pursuit of justice to all the rest of those who also believe in justice but have not the capacity nor the ability to persevere against all the odds to ensure truth is told. By your amazing fortitude, you have inspired many tens of thousands always to stand against STATE INJUSTICE. Exceptional achievement sir.

Best wishes, Johnno
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2021, 07:26:49 pm »
Dear Professor Scraton,   for many years I have been following your work fanatically. Fanatically is a strange word to use i appreciate that but against a backdrop of conspiracy, corruption and obfuscation your were the only horse that I would back through this whole saga.   No words from me carry as much weight as those from bereaved families & survivors alike.   Only a man of your integrity and morality could have walked the delicate fragility of the tightrope of unearthing the truth and being so considered and sympathetic to those most hurt from Hillsborough. 

Aside from your clear personal qualities you remained focused on what you needed to do in the face of severe and relentless diversions distractions, disinformation & duplicitity.  I can only admire your tenacious, passion on bringing closure and exposure to the sorry mess that has transpired since that terrible day in April 1989.

You don't know me Professor, probably never will but when you look in the mirror remember this "you are credit to yourself and indeed your family and all that know you, but more importantly in a world that turned a blind eye to the horrific events of the day and needless suffering in the aftermath and subsequent years, you Sir, demonstrated a laser like focus that brought the establishment of the country to shame"

Following the HIP you did not rest you continued the quest for truth and justice and the decision to turn down the MBE was such huge statement, one that showed none of your work since 1989 has been about you or any personal accolades, it was about truth, justice and simply doing the right thing something that gets lost on so many people in all walks of life.

I speak for many Professor I'm sure but these words are mine.  You have provided inspiration to many many people throughout the past 32 years and your motive and intentions were/are honourable, you have restored my faith in humanity Professor but sadly your work has only exposed the establishment that denied us and continue to deny us our rights and this is worth more than any MBE or establishment gong.   

Your selfless dedication of many years will forever be remembered.  You are one of the good guys and we will always be with you, we will NEVER EVER let you walk alone Professor, so keep walking and we are right behind you to carry you when you need us, after all you were there for us when we needed you most.

Despite the frustrations of the prosecutions of DD and the other culprits failing at the hands of a corrupt system you took them on and beat them, had them running scared. One man had the UK establishment shitting themselves and even helped force a tory PM to doubly apologise, one who famously mentioned a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that apparently wasn't there.  Well you illuminated that room, gave the man sight and found that black cat.  That is one hell of a result.

Professor Phil Scraton you are a proper proper Liverpool legend, without having ever kicked a ball on our hallowed turf, that my friend will take some beating.

God Bless you Professor and thank you for everything you have done for the survivors and families you have no idea how much we all appreciate it. 
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2021, 11:44:48 pm »
Once again, thank you all so much for your collective generosity of spirit and for taking the time to write so profoundly, whether a few words or many. Your comments, along with so many emails, have had a profound impact on me and my family. Here is the first part of a podcast recorded soon after the abrupt end of the trial and broadcast today. YNWA.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6keyBeVZnh9EgXIgTYAoOy?si=lo0zNS0uS-qxupxIQS4Zrg&dl_branch=1&nd=1
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg