Author Topic: International Watch  (Read 286136 times)

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Releasing players for internationals.
« Reply #520 on: October 6, 2020, 09:43:53 pm »
I truly hate internationals. Last game I watched was the World Cup Final back in 2018, these friendlies are so pointless and even more so now. Club should grow a pair and stop players joining up when there's such a huge risk of Covid, the national FA's of countries are not the ones paying their wages.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #521 on: October 7, 2020, 05:33:22 am »
To top it off, many teams have 3 games in this break. It’s gone from bad to worse.

3 games!!?!!
YWNA

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #522 on: October 7, 2020, 07:26:55 am »
Do we know who has stayed behind who is likely to face Everton? Wondering how much of our team we could make up from them? Obviously Thiago, Sadio and Milner are. Think I heard Mo was too , Hendo is effectively staying back as Klopp said his game time is being managed to get him back to fitness.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: October 7, 2020, 10:53:44 am »
Do we know who has stayed behind who is likely to face Everton? Wondering how much of our team we could make up from them? Obviously Thiago, Sadio and Milner are. Think I heard Mo was too , Hendo is effectively staying back as Klopp said his game time is being managed to get him back to fitness.

Thiago, Mane, Salah, Keita, Milner, Adrian and Ljinders said that Matip is preparing for this as well albeit I very much doubt he starts.

I think Thiago, Milner and Henderson will start in midfield against Everton.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #524 on: October 7, 2020, 10:58:22 am »
Thiago, Mane, Salah, Keita, Milner, Adrian and Ljinders said that Matip is preparing for this as well albeit I very much doubt he starts.

Naby has posted on his Insta today with Florentin Pogba, think he's away with Guinea, they certainly have games this week.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #525 on: October 7, 2020, 11:59:40 am »
Has there been any rumblings of sanctions against RB Salzburg for this? Googling hasn't brought up any response from official bodies or even much journalistic chatter about the matter. Yes Shaq's test came back after players had gone but we've the same amount of positive tests as them - I suspect that had Liverpool - with a far greater profile of player than Salzburg, all respect due - done a similar thing, there would be much harsher sanctions and calls for us to be punished.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #526 on: October 7, 2020, 12:07:50 pm »

With Thiago and Henderson likely to be ready to go for the derby, I think they both must start. Not just as a overreaction to how poor the midfield were on Sunday. Henderson of course is usually our greatest miss bar the keeper. Thiago definitely adds to our quality in the middle and is someone Everton's midfield might struggle to contain. As for the third man I'd definitely be tempted to go with Milner.

With the Ajax game after the derby, I wonder if they'll be tempted to go with Matip to give him some meaningful game time. Gomez has certainly been struggling as of late, despite his excellent display against Arsenal. Matip was absolutely superb in 2019 and we definitely need him to be match fit.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: October 7, 2020, 12:18:54 pm »
Has there been any rumblings of sanctions against RB Salzburg for this? Googling hasn't brought up any response from official bodies or even much journalistic chatter about the matter. Yes Shaq's test came back after players had gone but we've the same amount of positive tests as them - I suspect that had Liverpool - with a far greater profile of player than Salzburg, all respect due - done a similar thing, there would be much harsher sanctions and calls for us to be punished.

Haven't heard of anything - and Juve have done the same too.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #528 on: October 7, 2020, 12:38:40 pm »

Just put out a well worded announcement saying due to Covid cases among the squad, all the players will be self isolating in their bubble rather than risking public health by traveling all over the world and joining different squads for the national team.

What are UEFA/FIFA going to do? It's a pandemic ffs. Show some balls.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #529 on: October 7, 2020, 01:02:57 pm »
Just put out a well worded announcement saying due to Covid cases among the squad, all the players will be self isolating in their bubble rather than risking public health by traveling all over the world and joining different squads for the national team.

What are UEFA/FIFA going to do? It's a pandemic ffs. Show some balls.

Nothing! They are to busy counting their money from the tournaments and 'hiding their heads in the sand'. 

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: October 7, 2020, 01:29:46 pm »
Naby has posted on his Insta today with Florentin Pogba, think he's away with Guinea, they certainly have games this week.

Is he related to Paul?  Do you think he'd have a go at tapping him up to leave United in the next window and come to Liverpool?

Said no-one, ever.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: October 7, 2020, 01:35:46 pm »
Is he related to Paul?  Do you think he'd have a go at tapping him up to leave United in the next window and come to Liverpool?

Said no-one, ever.
;D

They are brothers.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #532 on: October 7, 2020, 03:51:31 pm »
Positive case in Scotland squad. Let’s hope Robbo hasn’t been in contact.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #533 on: October 7, 2020, 03:58:03 pm »
Positive case in Scotland squad. Let’s hope Robbo hasn’t been in contact.

Let's hope Robbo isn't the contact.

Edit

It isn't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54453593
« Last Edit: October 7, 2020, 04:02:15 pm by So... Howard Phillips »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: October 7, 2020, 06:13:06 pm »
So tonight we have Portugal v Spain with Jota playing, there's also Netherlands v Mexico which I assume Virgil and Gini will play in but no teams as yet. And also Tsimikas could be playing in Austria v Greece maybe. All pointless friendlies.

Edit: Jota on the bench
« Last Edit: October 7, 2020, 07:49:18 pm by redgriffin73 »

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: October 7, 2020, 07:54:43 pm »
Virgil and Gini playing. Hopefully not a full game but new manager so wouldn't they 

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #536 on: October 7, 2020, 08:14:32 pm »
Curtis Jones and Rhys Williams played earlier in the England under 21 draw with Andorra (!).

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: October 7, 2020, 08:27:50 pm »
Absolute piss take Virg and Wijnaldum are starting a crappy friendly, they'll obviously start the nations league aways in Bosnia and Italy as well, what a joke.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #538 on: October 7, 2020, 08:48:06 pm »
Absolute piss take Virg and Wijnaldum are starting a crappy friendly, they'll obviously start the nations league aways in Bosnia and Italy as well, what a joke.

Bet Henderson gets overused too
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline jlb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #539 on: October 7, 2020, 08:53:45 pm »
Virgil subbed off at half time.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: October 7, 2020, 08:59:07 pm »

Common sense prevailing

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #541 on: October 7, 2020, 08:59:53 pm »

Both centre backs were taken off at half time so I’m sure it’s just rotation rather than anything else.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: October 7, 2020, 09:32:42 pm »
Both centre backs were taken off at half time so I’m sure it’s just rotation rather than anything else.

Hadn't even considered the negative but yes all fine im sure

Gini subbed off now too

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: October 7, 2020, 09:48:45 pm »
Gini off after 63 mins. Jota played the final 11 mins for Portugal.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #544 on: October 7, 2020, 10:03:34 pm »
Bet Henderson gets overused too

Might do Henderson good to get some game time ahead of the Derby. Will be 4 weeks after the Chelsea game.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: October 7, 2020, 11:04:46 pm »
I wonder if discussions have been had behind closed doors and clubs have agreed to let it slide. Madness of course but it's just bizarre that no one has said anything in public. Forget the public health and personal aspect to it - if I was a manager of one of our rivals there's no fucking way I'd want my best players to be training and playing with any Liverpool players. Multi million pound assets. You'd be fuming if they couldn't play for 2 weeks. In domestic game ok there's a level of risk that's been agreed upon but to allow liverpool players to be interacting with others on international duty is madness. I'm surprised none of our rivals are screaming from the roof tops.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #546 on: October 8, 2020, 01:02:05 am »
I imagine the clubs are worried that if they make a fuss about international football, and get it stopped, then it's only a skip and jump away from governments thinking about why league football should be different, and stopping it again, with all the financial implications. They probably think it's better to keep their heads down, keep their worries to themselves and not rock the boat.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #547 on: October 8, 2020, 01:39:21 am »
The fact that we're proceeding with internationals to Brazil when we're in the midst of a global pandemic tells you all that you need to know about the house of cards on which top level professional football is built.

Players were already at, if not beyond their limits in terms of the number of games they were playing pre-COVID. Klopp made this point on a number of occasions.

But football is a delicious, lucrative pie that far too many organisations want a slice of, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ongoing financial viability of a number of these organisations - whether we're talking about federations, associations or clubs, rely on games continuing to go ahead. Stop the gravy train from moving and suddenly the house comes tumbling down.

That's gotta be why there hasn't even been a whole of community conversation about the appropriateness of pushing on with internationals. That's gotta be why we're pushing for allowing fans back into stadiums when every indication is that the amount of transmission right now means that isn't safe.

So I think we can get angry about our players being released for internationals, but unfortunately organisations at every level is complicit.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #548 on: October 8, 2020, 10:31:56 am »
What I can't believe is that some countries have THREE international games in a week!!!! WTF?  :butt

It is bad enough having to play internationals right now, but to stick in a friendly when there are already two other matches is madness.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #549 on: October 8, 2020, 11:54:52 am »
What I can't believe is that some countries have THREE international games in a week!!!! WTF?  :butt

It is bad enough having to play internationals right now, but to stick in a friendly when there are already two other matches is madness.

Governing bodies need the TV money as much as clubs.
Internet terrorist

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: October 8, 2020, 01:11:34 pm »
I imagine the clubs are worried that if they make a fuss about international football, and get it stopped, then it's only a skip and jump away from governments thinking about why league football should be different, and stopping it again, with all the financial implications. They probably think it's better to keep their heads down, keep their worries to themselves and not rock the boat.

Problem is, everyone knows that football in theory would be better off mothballed while all this shit is still going on to the extent players are dropping like flies and fans aren't allowed near a football ground.

But they all have to go through the dance to keep clubs in business and to keep the cash coming in for UEFA/FIFA/FA/Premier League. If you cancel one you cancel them all, effectively.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: October 8, 2020, 01:18:00 pm »
The fact that we're proceeding with internationals to Brazil when we're in the midst of a global pandemic tells you all that you need to know about the house of cards on which top level professional football is built.

Players were already at, if not beyond their limits in terms of the number of games they were playing pre-COVID. Klopp made this point on a number of occasions.

There should be a limit to the number of games a professional footballer can play for club and then for country in a calendar year, with a guarantee of 4 weeks holiday.

Instead we're now seeing 3 games during an international break being fazed in (the pandemic seems to be a precedent for even more games).

Therefore, potential international schedule going forward:
September: 3 games, October 3 games, November 3 games, March 3 games, June 3 warm up friendlies for Euros/World Cup, June/July 7 games Euros/World Cup

Players can play around 20 international games a year now. Then throw in 60-70 club games in a club season. Pre-season friendlies where they've gotta go all over the world, Club World Cup that's coming.

You're looking at the best part of 100 games a year that a player's club and country can play and he gets a token 2 weeks off in the summer with no pre-season from summer tournament to the start of the Premier League.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2020, 01:20:08 pm by Fromola »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: October 8, 2020, 01:21:13 pm »
It's really not sensible to force players to travel to Brazil.

5m cases in Brazil ... and 148,228 Dead.

And they have no choice, the CBF and FIFA would have no sympathy for the players or LFC if Bobby or Fabinho didn't feel comfortable traveling.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #553 on: October 8, 2020, 04:17:03 pm »
I know he doesn't play International football but with this time off, I hope Adrian is really, really sensible and being careful.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: October 8, 2020, 04:51:55 pm »
I know he doesn't play International football but with this time off, I hope Adrian is really, really sensible and being careful.

How many goalies normally have to be injured before you can get an emergency loan goalie in? If Alisson was injured and Adrian got Covid, are we down to Kelleher or can we get one in?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #555 on: October 8, 2020, 04:56:43 pm »
Problem is, everyone knows that football in theory would be better off mothballed while all this shit is still going on to the extent players are dropping like flies and fans aren't allowed near a football ground.

But they all have to go through the dance to keep clubs in business and to keep the cash coming in for UEFA/FIFA/FA/Premier League. If you cancel one you cancel them all, effectively.
Sure, but clubs will not want to stick their heads above the parapet by making a fuss about international football, in case it rebounds upon club football. It's just a suggestion as to why clubs - esp. PL clubs - are staying quiet about what is otherwise an obviously ludicrous situation. I expect managers and sports science bods are seething inside about it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: October 8, 2020, 07:03:44 pm »
Gomez in the back 3 for England against Wales, Trent on the bench but no sign of Hendo.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: October 8, 2020, 07:05:56 pm »
Gomez in the back 3 for England against Wales, Trent on the bench but no sign of Hendo.

Good news all round really

Gomez could do with a good game and the others a rest

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: October 8, 2020, 07:49:05 pm »
Robbo also playing for Scotland tonight.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: October 8, 2020, 08:10:55 pm »
Robbo also playing for Scotland tonight.

Least that ones a  meaningful match