Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 331801 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to stay
« Reply #960 on: November 26, 2019, 10:47:20 am »
So, is he finished at Liverpool if he goes on loan like it was claimed for Wilson? Where are all his first team minutes that so many claimed he would get this season?

Sorry, I didn't want to do that, but the noise during the summer was quite high, writing off Wilson and putting Brewster in the pedestal with no basis at all. Both are huge prospects mind, the fact that they're not sold means we rate them. For me, the loans mean to find out whether they would fit our game or not and that's about it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #961 on: November 26, 2019, 11:03:09 am »
If we're just going purely on playing style probably Vardy.

Don't think he's similar to Vardy at all, he's no slouch but he doesn't have that kind of speed and doesn't really play off the shoulder.  He's got more to his game in that he can drop deeper and link play.

However, I'm unconvinced at the moment.  I don't see any standout attribute in his game as a forward, he's a bit of a jack of all trades.  And he's not been at all clinical when he's featured for us this season, albeit with limited minutes.  Got some nice goals in the pre-season games but hasn't really shown anything since then.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #962 on: November 26, 2019, 11:18:15 am »
Sturridge was a mega-talent at 18. The best comparison would be Sancho, not Brewster.

I know Sturridge was highly rated in his youth but by the time of his 19th birthday he'd started less than 10 games for Manchester City.

This isn't the same Manchester City either. It's one where Darius Vassell was the starting striker and Mpenza, Bianchi and Benjani were his other competition.

Jadon Sancho had nearly as many full international caps as Sturridge had competitive games by the time they were 19.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #963 on: November 26, 2019, 11:28:01 am »
And he's not been at all clinical when he's featured for us this season, albeit with limited minutes.  Got some nice goals in the pre-season games but hasn't really shown anything since then.

What chances did he miss in the 180 1st team minutes he's got so far this year to suggest he's 'not been at all clinical when he's featured for us this season'?

He's got 5 goals in 9 games at Premier League 2 (U23) and UEFA Youth League. He's scoring at a rate of better than 1 every 180 minutes at this level.

I've no idea whether Brewster is good enough to make it at Liverpool. But no-one here really knows his level. I doubt many people have seen anything close to 50% of the time he's played (at any level) over the last 18 months. Therefore suggestions that he should be on loan at a League One side or that he's 'not at all clinical' seem a bit wild to me.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #964 on: November 26, 2019, 11:23:40 pm »
Can we go back to the summer and have the arguments over whether we need another front 3 player or not because apparently one of the reasons we didn't was that Brewster was ready for first team football - not just on here but on the major lfc podcasts etc etc
It was a bad argument then and its not a surprise he's struggled.... he's a 19 year old prospect coming off the best part of a year out of football with a serious injury. The worry is he's lost pace/sharpness at a crucial time in his development.
Best thing for him is that he goes somewhere and plays so he can rehabilitate and we can see if he's got a shot at making it here

Agree. There was a lot of chat about how if the manager thought he was good enough to be backup, he's good enough. Well, so far the manager hasn't thought that he's been good enough to put him onto the pitch.

To speculate wildly, I'm thinking maybe he's trying to model himself on Firmino and it's not necessarily working for him, because there's only one Firmino.

I'm still fairly optimistic about him, and it would make me very glad to see him score some goals against Villa and Salzburg (if he gets that chance). But he's going to have to get to another level to be in contention for us.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #965 on: November 27, 2019, 05:43:44 pm »
A question to those that have watched him more regularly at youth levels and the like; Is he really that good? He seemed to be very much a poacher type from the little glimpses I've had of him. Who does he compare to among current strikers? Tammy Abraham or is he more of a Solanke?

Lewandowski, he isn't a poacher, he has a great touch, can dribble although no Benzema or Suarez on that field, and of course can score, although everything seems easier for him at the moment than scoring heap loads of goals.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: November 27, 2019, 05:44:41 pm »
I know Sturridge was highly rated in his youth but by the time of his 19th birthday he'd started less than 10 games for Manchester City.

This isn't the same Manchester City either. It's one where Darius Vassell was the starting striker and Mpenza, Bianchi and Benjani were his other competition.

Jadon Sancho had nearly as many full international caps as Sturridge had competitive games by the time they were 19.

Sturridge was a very very obvious talent, his dribbling touch and overall flair was a level above Brewster.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #967 on: November 28, 2019, 02:30:54 am »
Lewandowski, he isn't a poacher, he has a great touch, can dribble although no Benzema or Suarez on that field, and of course can score, although everything seems easier for him at the moment than scoring heap loads of goals.

Seems like a weird comparison given that Lewandowski is mostly known for scoring goals rather than any of the other things.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: November 29, 2019, 03:38:11 am »
He'll go somewhere where game time is written into the contract, so doubt it'll be the likes of Palace or Leeds.

Don't think he's anywhere near ready to be playing Premier League or a top Championship side to be honest. League one at best at the moment.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: November 29, 2019, 04:26:26 am »
Don't think he's anywhere near ready to be playing Premier League or a top Championship side to be honest. League one at best at the moment.

Just needs minutes. The problem is that he hasn't had any regular minutes in any sort of senior competitive environment. We can't really make any judgement until then. No point comparing him to other players. Young players develop at different rates.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #970 on: November 29, 2019, 07:04:38 pm »
Rhian Brewster is a good player. He could play a role for us in the domestic Cups.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #971 on: November 29, 2019, 07:55:11 pm »
Rhian Brewster is a good player. He could play a role for us in the domestic Cups.

Such a lack of development doing that.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #972 on: November 29, 2019, 09:39:56 pm »
Such a lack of development doing that.

Development is important I agree. Brewster is a good player.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #973 on: November 30, 2019, 02:33:08 pm »
Play the lad in the 3rd round of the FA cup and then get a decent loan in where he can get the guts of 20 games in.

He was still in rehabilitation over the summer. He should be largely back up to speed physically and so its a case of (as other have suggested) working on development and consistency.

Swansea or Leeds all day of the week for me ahead of Palace with a balloon payment if he starts less than 10 games.

My personal view is that we need to see something to give real hope before the summer otherwise we have to move in the market.

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: December 11, 2019, 06:37:01 am »
Better off a winning Championship club than a defending PL club IMHO. Better off in the Championship in general as there's loads of games and thus more opportunity to play which is the only point of a loan.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #976 on: January 7, 2020, 06:17:42 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/381753-rhian-brewster-swansea-city-loan?fbclid=IwAR2Voioz27dP-s-wpg5gHMOsPXCX8PCmthVUWRzlJ_Ty7c92JOzoz42MVIY

Fingers crossed it goes well for him.

Swansea's next 8 games through until the end of Feb are against teams largely in the lower half of the league so you'd like to think he should get both a) game time (either starting or coming on when they are winning) and b) a fair few chances against teams that have shipped goals.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #977 on: January 7, 2020, 06:18:45 pm »
Probably for the best to be honest. It's a bit rubbish that he got injured over Xmas as it meant he missed out on the Villa game, the 4th round and maybe a couple of sub apps - basically the minutes that Elliott got instead who is now ahead of him.

With Minamino here his minutes will be further eroded.

Let's hope Rhian can have a good run of games and get a few goals and be better prepared going into next season.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: January 7, 2020, 06:37:42 pm »
He'll do ok with Steve, he knows him from his England youth days and was the Coach when he became a World Champion with the u17s.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #979 on: January 7, 2020, 07:15:32 pm »
Could do for him what Villa did for Tammy Abraham last season. Be good if he can get a goal or two and that sets him off. Hope it goes well, he stays injury free and gets some goals.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: January 7, 2020, 07:19:38 pm »
Could do for him what Villa did for Tammy Abraham last season. Be good if he can get a goal or two and that sets him off. Hope it goes well, he stays injury free and gets some goals.

Or what Swansea did for Abraham the year before?

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #981 on: January 7, 2020, 07:25:24 pm »
Or what Swansea did for Abraham the year before?
🙂 Was gonna say that, but I looked up his stats for Swansea and they weren’t so impressive although they were getting relegated from the Premier League that season. So slightly different situations.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: January 7, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
In an ideal world he does well for them and they get promoted, so he can get another loan there next season and play PL football.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: January 7, 2020, 07:51:31 pm »
I don't think he is going to make it here. He just doesn't have any outstanding features, though his all-round game is good.

Hope this move goes well for him though and can be a platform he can build on.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #984 on: January 7, 2020, 08:30:45 pm »
Good luck to him. He needs games, let’s see what he can do.

Offline #RedDawn2020

• Main Stander
« Reply #985 on: January 8, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
All the best to him!

I was guilty for a time of thinking we may have our very own Mbappe here at Liverpool. Unfortunately he has stalled massively since the U17 WC, understandably given the rotten luck with injuries.  It is now a big ask for him to establish himself as a viable option in our squad. In the three Games I have seen this season, he really never was in the game at all.

Moreover, Klopp once said in a press conference that he is struggling with the demands of adult training sessions or something along those lines - which is a pretty damming statement by Klopp given how complimentary he usually is about his players - even about hopeless cases on the pitch such as Alberto M. (“Best player in training by far”).

He may be one of the cases where regular playing time may be the best to further his development (and find his level). Let’s hope so for his and our sake - we have a terrible track record recently with hyping up young strikers only for them to fall flat on their noses.
“Intensity is our identity.”

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #986 on: January 8, 2020, 12:20:58 pm »
needs a loan. hes hardly played for us

this is the next step, time will tell if he comes back

Origi did so you never know
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: January 8, 2020, 04:20:12 pm »
Are we in a hurry with Brewster? No we are not. Klopp and the coaches think highly of him and there’s little reason to doubt their judgement. His progress has been curtailed more by injuries the past couple of years as opposed to failing when presented with opportunities

Patience is key here. We want him to get significant game time exposure. Let’s see how he gets on at Swansea. I think we will be looking at his progressing like Wilson did
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #988 on: January 8, 2020, 04:29:41 pm »
Didn't see much of him against MK Dons, seemed noticeably more involved against Arsenal and had a few decent moments and not sure he touched the ball against the ev but not really his fault coming on as a late sub. Loan seems like the best option, hope it goes well.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #989 on: January 8, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »
All the best to him!

I was guilty for a time of thinking we may have our very own Mbappe here at Liverpool. Unfortunately he has stalled massively since the U17 WC, understandably given the rotten luck with injuries.  It is now a big ask for him to establish himself as a viable option in our squad. In the three Games I have seen this season, he really never was in the game at all.

Moreover, Klopp once said in a press conference that he is struggling with the demands of adult training sessions or something along those lines - which is a pretty damming statement by Klopp given how complimentary he usually is about his players - even about hopeless cases on the pitch such as Alberto M. (“Best player in training by far”).

He may be one of the cases where regular playing time may be the best to further his development (and find his level). Let’s hope so for his and our sake - we have a terrible track record recently with hyping up young strikers only for them to fall flat on their noses.

Yeah, Owen and Fowler were shite.  ;)

Offline MacKon

• Main Stander
  • FOOTBALL WITHOUT ORIGI IS NOTHING
« Reply #990 on: January 8, 2020, 06:29:12 pm »
Yeah, Owen and Fowler were shite.  ;)

I think you missed an important word 'recently' which changes a little bit in #RedDawn's post :o

Brewster desperately needs to get some senior football and somehow I don't believe his 180 minutes in League Cup (v Milton Keynes and Arsenal) is enough. It's a good move for him.
Good thing about pizza is that even when it's bad, it's still reasonably good.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #991 on: January 8, 2020, 06:55:34 pm »
Brewster and the club both have time. He is contracted until 2023.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Richie69

• Benefits from 20:20 hindsight because he owns a time machine and a perfect decision making brain.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #992 on: January 9, 2020, 10:35:37 am »
Needs games and luck with injuries, best for both parties plus he already knows the manager

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: January 9, 2020, 11:07:28 am »
He looks years away from being ready for us. When there was talk of him moving on I remember saying he doesn't look to have any outstanding qualities and I think he'd be struggling to make it here and I'm not confident he will. Injuries have been a problem and he just doesn't look anywhere near ready for grown up football physically. You'd have to say he's got it all on at this point but there's still time. Needs to pull up trees at Swansea.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: January 9, 2020, 11:23:39 am »
He looks years away from being ready for us. When there was talk of him moving on I remember saying he doesn't look to have any outstanding qualities and I think he'd be struggling to make it here and I'm not confident he will. Injuries have been a problem and he just doesn't look anywhere near ready for grown up football physically. You'd have to say he's got it all on at this point but there's still time. Needs to pull up trees at Swansea.

It always sounds harsh when it's about a young player, but think this is spot on. As you say there's still time. But there will need to be a great deal of progress for him to get to a point where he can contribute in a squad role in the same way other young players have looked capable of.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #995 on: January 9, 2020, 12:04:34 pm »

He's years away because of the injuries. The injuries have been a nightmare for him as he's missed the best part of two seasons of football at a crucial development age and now half of this season is about making up for lost time and trying to regain sharpness.

In that England youth team he was as big a prospect as Sancho and Foden.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Re: Rhian Brewster - on loan at Swansea
« Reply #996 on: January 9, 2020, 03:38:01 pm »
Will need to work his way into the side there, but I think given his relationship with Cooper he should see some game time soon.

He is only 19, and given the long injuries he has had, his development was also likely to be behind his contemporaries. His pace and strength was evident in the two cup games in played this year, but he needs minutes now.

I'm excited to see how he does because he could still have a massive future for us. You only need to see the re-evaluation of Curtis Jones since the Derby from where he was a year back to see how quickly minds can change. That won't be the same behind the scenes and given the hype Rhian was getting in the summer from the backroom, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back playing a larger role in our first team squad next year.

I think it is always harder to impress from that central forward position at that age than as a tricky winger or a creative midfielder as you see less of the ball, and can get marshalled by the centre-backs, simply leaving you with less minutes 'on-screen' to impress. I trust our system, so he'll make it if he deserves too, but he was our top prospect coming into the season and just needs a lucky break to get him going I reckon.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: January 9, 2020, 04:03:02 pm »
Will need to work his way into the side there, but I think given his relationship with Cooper he should see some game time soon.

He is only 19, and given the long injuries he has had, his development was also likely to be behind his contemporaries. His pace and strength was evident in the two cup games in played this year, but he needs minutes now.

I'm excited to see how he does because he could still have a massive future for us. You only need to see the re-evaluation of Curtis Jones since the Derby from where he was a year back to see how quickly minds can change. That won't be the same behind the scenes and given the hype Rhian was getting in the summer from the backroom, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back playing a larger role in our first team squad next year.

I think it is always harder to impress from that central forward position at that age than as a tricky winger or a creative midfielder as you see less of the ball, and can get marshalled by the centre-backs, simply leaving you with less minutes 'on-screen' to impress. I trust our system, so he'll make it if he deserves too, but he was our top prospect coming into the season and just needs a lucky break to get him going I reckon.

We will have put a minimum game time clause into the loan.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: January 9, 2020, 05:35:32 pm »

Does he though? He's 19 and about to experience his first real taste of consistent professional football in a tough league coming off a couple of injury-plagued seasons.

For me, I think it's a great chance for him to experience that, hopefully a promotion push and playing in a side that play decent football under a manager who knows him well. And staying healthy.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #999 on: January 12, 2020, 10:55:35 am »
Cardiff v Swansea
Sky 12pm Ko