Author Topic: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC  (Read 232449 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC
« Reply #840 on: May 15, 2019, 09:16:03 pm »
It'll be interesting to see. We don't do easy finals. Even Cardiff took us to penalties when we last won a trophy.

Spurs are a good team and their style is very similar to ours. It could literally come down to individual performances. Unlike the bookies, I dont think we are as strong favorites, but favorites nonetheless. All that said, we should be winning this. *touch wood*

As you say, I see Spurs as very similar to us, but I feel we are a more cohesive, stronger team unit.  We're not as reliant on one or two individuals' flashes of brilliance - game changers though they can be.  Everybody in our team is on the same page - you only have to look at our fourth goal against Barca to see the kind of work ethic we have in place.

That said, the final could easily go the same way as our trip to the Nou Camp - dominate and come away with nothing.  So much of this game will be won or lost in the minds of the players on the pitch; it will be two parts skill, one part sheer confidence and determination.  It's basically impossible to call. 

On paper, it should be us, but paper didn't matter a damn when Spurs played City.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:59 pm »
As you say, I see Spurs as very similar to us, but I feel we are a more cohesive, stronger team unit.  We're not as reliant on one or two individuals' flashes of brilliance - game changers though they can be.  Everybody in our team is on the same page - you only have to look at our fourth goal against Barca to see the kind of work ethic we have in place.

That said, the final could easily go the same way as our trip to the Nou Camp - dominate and come away with nothing.  So much of this game will be won or lost in the minds of the players on the pitch; it will be two parts skill, one part sheer confidence and determination.  It's basically impossible to call. 

On paper, it should be us, but paper didn't matter a damn when Spurs played City.

True but those were two legs, in one of which they lost and in one in which City missed a penalty, the approach to the first leg has also to be taken into consideration when comparing to a one off game [for instance we were clearly pushing against Barca to get an away goal even at 3-0 let alone 2-0 for instance].

The question is whether or not our best performance and application is better than Spur's best performance and application in said match? The motivation the desire the experience is all there, now it's about fulfilling all tasks and taking the chances when they're presented.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:59:21 pm by deFacto »

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #842 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:51 pm »

That said, the final could easily go the same way as our trip to the Nou Camp - dominate and come away with nothing. So much of this game will be won or lost in the minds of the players on the pitch; it will be two parts skill, one part sheer confidence and determination.  It's basically impossible to call. 

Not only will the players have learnt from the experience at the Nou Camp (as they showed in the second leg of that tie) this can always happen at the Nou Camp because Barca have Lionel Messi. No other team in the world has him so it's just not comparable or applicable to this final. Just the mere threat of Messi on the pitch can affect the opposition's game.

Yes, Tottenham beat Man City on their way to the final. The main different between us and Man City in the CL is that we value the concept of keeping clean sheets, or at least, are more capable of keeping clean sheets against top opponents on a consistent basis.

We're not silly like Man City who were only 1-0 down after the first leg against Spurs, and decided to go all gung-ho attack from the first minute in the 2nd leg. They wanted to blitz them in the first half, the same approach they had against us in the CL 2nd leg last year. They ran out of steam and couldn't keep going.

In those key games, they didn't value the concept of keeping a clean sheet (or keeping it tight), like we did against Barcelona in the second leg. Pep will look at what we did last week and rue how he couldn't overcome just a 1-0 defeat from the first leg against Spurs.

We're a proper 90 minute team. We were happy with 1-0 at half-time against Barca, knowing that we would get stronger in the second half, and there was a strong emphasis of keeping a clean sheet whether we did enough to get through or not.

We're just a different proposition in Europe.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:11:52 pm by SweetSilverSevens »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:06 pm »
this feels like a must win game.

???
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #844 on: May 15, 2019, 11:05:47 pm »
Don't like saying it, this feels like a must win game. Until we get over the line in one of these, the doubts in the players minds will grow.

Again, the simple message for fans is, become believers instead of doubters.

If you're talking about players, it doesn't make sense. What good comes out of doubting themselves. They've had a great season, they've broken our points record, why should this team doubt themselves at all?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:10:51 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2019, 11:09:18 pm »
True but those were two legs, in one of which they lost and in one in which City drew, the approach to the first leg has also to be taken into consideration when comparing to a one off game [for instance we were clearly pushing against Barca to get an away goal even at 3-0 let alone 2-0 for instance].

The question is whether or not our best performance and application is better than Spur's best performance and application in said match? The motivation the desire the experience is all there, now it's about fulfilling all tasks and taking the chances when they're presented.

It's also about doing what we've been doing in the league this season. If we go behind, there's no reason to panic. If we play our normal game, we'll eventually score. And we need to take heart in how we kept plugging away till the end in must win league games where we were challenged. If we do the same, we could get them under pressure and get them to make mistakes towards the end.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #846 on: May 15, 2019, 11:43:59 pm »
That said, the final could easily go the same way as our trip to the Nou Camp - dominate and come away with nothing.

If Dele Alli repeatedly runs through 3/4 of our players and then scores a 30 yard free kick, you can compare them to Barca. Until then, they're a team that finished 26 points behind us, and one who've only beaten us once in 14 games (the Lovren debacle).

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: May 16, 2019, 12:01:36 am »
If Dele Alli repeatedly runs through 3/4 of our players and then scores a 30 yard free kick, you can compare them to Barca. Until then, they're a team that finished 26 points behind us, and one who've only beaten us once in 14 games (the Lovren debacle).

Previous meetings don't really matter. We had a horrible record against Chelsea in the league for a number of years under Rafa, but we were successful in knocking them out on 3 occassions in different competitions

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2019, 12:03:26 am »
We have some soft arsed fans.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2019, 12:09:50 am »
It's also about doing what we've been doing in the league this season. If we go behind, there's no reason to panic. If we play our normal game, we'll eventually score. And we need to take heart in how we kept plugging away till the end in must win league games where we were challenged. If we do the same, we could get them under pressure and get them to make mistakes towards the end.

I agree, we've learned how to win through various manners this year, in different circumstances, we've managed matches better, the tempo the pace, our football IQ as a group on the pitch imo has visibly improved vastly in a years time

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2019, 12:13:35 am »
We really should give this team more credit for their mentality, belief, and effort after this season - 97pts and obviously the CL final - it will get us over the finish line.

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: May 16, 2019, 12:42:32 am »
Nothing like the 'home team' Spurs being given the smaller away dressing room, in favour of us, for Poch to help get his players wound up.
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline Soucolorado

• Main Stander
« Reply #852 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:20 am »
As Jürgen put it, these lads are “mentality monsters”. Every game since the draw at Goodison has been a must win final of sorts, and we came up trump each time, despite some challenging moments (Spurs at home, Chelsea, Southampton & Newcastle away) to name a few.

I think this steely resolve and game management now imbued in this team will hold us in good stead in the final.

After “choking” at the 2007 World Cup, the New Zealand All Blacks really focused on blocking out the noise and just breaking down each game to its subsequent parts, with two World Cups including a nerve wracking  8-7 victory at home to France in the 2011 final, the outcomes.

I see similar qualities in this team, embodied above all by Van Dijk, Alisson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum & Mané. Whatever Spurs throw at us, whatever conspires to go against us, I trust this team to stick to its game and bring No. 6 home.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: May 16, 2019, 08:21:16 am »
This warm weather training camp we're going on; I hope we've got a little friendly lined up in the middle of it somewhere because I've noticed we seem a little rusty when we've had too much time off as a side.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2019, 09:00:19 am »
You're right, he done a couple this year and we only got a shitty 97 points and champions league final place.

To be fair, we've dropped points immediately after both warm weather breaks.
Correlation does not imply causation, but still...

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2019, 09:02:55 am »
This warm weather training camp we're going on; I hope we've got a little friendly lined up in the middle of it somewhere because I've noticed we seem a little rusty when we've had too much time off as a side.

Found this through that this is anfield website after a quick google search

Tenerife – March 2016: Drew vs Spurs, drew vs Dortmund, won vs Stoke

La Manga – Feb 2017: Lost vs Leicester, won vs Arsenal, won vs Burnley

Tenerife – March 2017: Won vs Everton, drew vs B’mouth, won vs Stoke

Dubai – Jan 2018: Won vs Man City, lost vs Swansea, lost vs West Brom

Marbella – Feb 2018: Won vs West Ham, won vs Newcastle, drew vs Porto

Marbella – May 2018: Lost vs Real Madrid

Dubai – Jan 2019: Drew vs Leicester, drew vs West Ham, won vs B’mouth

Spain - March 2019: Drew vs Bayern Munich, drew vs United, won vs Watford

Think the bad feeling about these comes from the recent one to Dubai but they were all battling some kind of illness in that trip right? and the most recent one where we just didn't look great

I used to think these training camps or international breaks had a detrimental effect on the team....i dont know. I can't believe the amount of brains we have behind this team would do anything to lessen our chances to go into that final firing, maybe this training camp will be slightly different
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:07:37 am by just redk84 will do »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2019, 09:06:39 am »
with the warm weather training camp it didnt help we came back to some very cold weather and a few players were unwell

at this time of the year it should be ok given it would help us acclimatize for madrid weather

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: May 16, 2019, 09:08:06 am »
Found this through that this is anfield website after a quick google search

Tenerife – March 2016: Drew vs Spurs, drew vs Dortmund, won vs Stoke

La Manga – Feb 2017: Lost vs Leicester, won vs Arsenal, won vs Burnley

Tenerife – March 2017: Won vs Everton, drew vs B’mouth, won vs Stoke

Dubai – Jan 2018: Won vs Man City, lost vs Swansea, lost vs West Brom

Marbella – Feb 2018: Won vs West Ham, won vs Newcastle, drew vs Porto

Marbella – May 2018: Lost vs Real Madrid

Dubai – Jan 2019: Drew vs Leicester, drew vs West Ham, won vs B’mouth

Spain - March 2019: Drew vs Bayern Munich, drew vs United, won vs Watford

Think the bad feeling about these comes from the recent one to Dubai but they were all battling some kind of illness in that trip right? and the most recent one where we just didn't look great

I used to think these training camps or international breaks had a detrimental effect on the team....i dont know

The warm weather breaks seem to give us a short term hit in results but long term fitness for the run in.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: May 16, 2019, 09:10:22 am »
It'll be interesting to see. We don't do easy finals. Even Cardiff took us to penalties when we last won a trophy.

True that. Bolton League Cup or Sunderland FA Cup were probably our last two "easy finals". It just very rarely happens that they end up being a comfortable win. I think Spurs will really push us, but for fucks sake I could with a final where I saw us 3 - 0 up with 30 minutes to go and just spraying the ball around the park.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #859 on: May 16, 2019, 09:12:16 am »
The warm weather breaks seem to give us a short term hit in results but long term fitness for the run in.

so maybe as we come back a week before the final we will do our usual training in a week before a game too.

i.e it'll be a slightly different training camp then usual

only one comparable to before is the one just before last season's final and if I remember the game right (still only seen it once) we started quite well until the Salah incident...
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: May 16, 2019, 09:15:50 am »
so maybe as we come back a week before the final we will do our usual training in a week before a game too.

i.e it'll be a slightly different training camp then usual

only one comparable to before is the one just before last season's final and if I remember the game right (still only seen it once) we started quite well until the Salah incident...

Having a strong squad is beneficial because we can have really competitive 11 v11 without having to organised behind closed doors games which I can imagine will be easy to arrange in close season and everyone on their holidays.

Offline adzogolonzo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #861 on: May 16, 2019, 09:20:20 am »
Happy ballot day.  Hope people get sorted

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:38 am »
The thing about the training camp is, previously we have done it as a "necessary evil" during a break in a long season to help us in the long run. This time, we have an unavoidable 3 week gap, as do Spurs, so there is nothing to be lost from doing it. You can talk about losing rhythm, that is guaranteed already with the week gap. If anything, the fact we have done so many of these helps us compared to Spurs who I can't recall having the opportunity to do this during the season.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: May 16, 2019, 10:34:24 am »
We have some soft arsed fans.

This. Fucking embarrassing. It's fucking Spurs ffs.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: May 16, 2019, 11:07:07 am »
I think if they'd had the choice then both Pochettino and Klopp would have preferred a 2 week break over 3. Gives time to prepare and plan but also enough time to give the players time off to relax. Obviously given that the final was planned to be the end of all the domestic seasons, I know why the longer break is there but it just seem to be to the detriment of both teams.same with the Europa League final. Hell during the 2001 treble didn't we play the UEFA cup final on the Wednesday before the last league game at Charlton?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: May 16, 2019, 11:10:53 am »
I think if they'd had the choice then both Pochettino and Klopp would have preferred a 2 week break over 3. Gives time to prepare and plan but also enough time to give the players time off to relax. Obviously given that the final was planned to be the end of all the domestic seasons, I know why the longer break is there but it just seem to be to the detriment of both teams.same with the Europa League final. Hell during the 2001 treble didn't we play the UEFA cup final on the Wednesday before the last league game at Charlton?
yep and the Fa cup final was the saturday before the uefa cup win

the year united won the treble the games came thick and fast too

momentum and the buzz of winning trophies would give the players a boost to get on with it

it would tire them though no question. i remember carragher saying the uefa cup final in 2001 his legs just went an hour into the game

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: May 16, 2019, 11:17:01 am »
True but those were two legs, in one of which they lost and in one in which City missed a penalty, the approach to the first leg has also to be taken into consideration when comparing to a one off game [for instance we were clearly pushing against Barca to get an away goal even at 3-0 let alone 2-0 for instance].

Absolutely. I'm just showing both sides of the coin. Spurs ain't Barca, but if things go awry there's no second leg to fix it.  That works against Spurs more than us. As you say, Liverpool at their best is better than Spurs at their best.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: May 16, 2019, 11:22:39 am »
Not only will the players have learnt from the experience at the Nou Camp (as they showed in the second leg of that tie) this can always happen at the Nou Camp because Barca have Lionel Messi. No other team in the world has him so it's just not comparable or applicable to this final. Just the mere threat of Messi on the pitch can affect the opposition's game.

Yes, Tottenham beat Man City on their way to the final. The main different between us and Man City in the CL is that we value the concept of keeping clean sheets, or at least, are more capable of keeping clean sheets against top opponents on a consistent basis.

We're not silly like Man City who were only 1-0 down after the first leg against Spurs, and decided to go all gung-ho attack from the first minute in the 2nd leg. They wanted to blitz them in the first half, the same approach they had against us in the CL 2nd leg last year. They ran out of steam and couldn't keep going.

In those key games, they didn't value the concept of keeping a clean sheet (or keeping it tight), like we did against Barcelona in the second leg. Pep will look at what we did last week and rue how he couldn't overcome just a 1-0 defeat from the first leg against Spurs.

We're a proper 90 minute team. We were happy with 1-0 at half-time against Barca, knowing that we would get stronger in the second half, and there was a strong emphasis of keeping a clean sheet whether we did enough to get through or not.

We're just a different proposition in Europe.

Tbf to City they did score late on. Just for once they didn't get the rub of the green thanks to VAR. ;D

Our boys ARE mentality monsters; and even if Spurs score first we won't go to pieces. If anything, Spurs will panic over being ahead and having to defend a lead.  Our game management has been superb this season  - on a completely different level to anyone else.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #868 on: May 16, 2019, 11:25:38 am »
I know it's a bit early but barring training ground injuries I would expect:

Alisson, Trent, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Fabinho, Hendo, Gini, Salah, Firmino, Mane.

And for Spurs the question is whether they bring Kane back in or leave him as an option off the bench - which I think they will do - and they'll line up with 5 at the back (2 wing backs), 3 in midfield and 2 up front.

Lloris, Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Dier, Eriksen, Alli, Lucas Moura, Son
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #869 on: May 16, 2019, 11:39:25 am »
The thing about the training camp is, previously we have done it as a "necessary evil" during a break in a long season to help us in the long run. This time, we have an unavoidable 3 week gap, as do Spurs, so there is nothing to be lost from doing it. You can talk about losing rhythm, that is guaranteed already with the week gap. If anything, the fact we have done so many of these helps us compared to Spurs who I can't recall having the opportunity to do this during the season.

The weather is nicer in Liverpool then it is in Spain at the moment. Regardless of if our players go abroad, they are already in a warm weather training camp.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: May 16, 2019, 11:59:14 am »
The weather is nicer in Liverpool then it is in Spain at the moment. Regardless of if our players go abroad, they are already in a warm weather training camp.

and the final is in Madrid, so the difference in weather is hardly night and day

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: May 16, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »

I wish you were right! I’ve been changing a pool filter this morning and it was 27 degrees at 10am
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #872 on: May 16, 2019, 12:52:01 pm »
with the warm weather training camp it didnt help we came back to some very cold weather and a few players were unwell

Most of the links I've seen around this suggest that changes in weather may worsen certain pre-existing medical conditions.

I've never really see any robust scientific evidence to suggest that healthy adults (and our footballers are definitely this) would be more susceptible to catching a virus (stomach bug or a cold) by changes in weather. There's an argument that a virus may spread more easily if the players are in closer proximity on a training camp versus normal training at Melwood. There's also the potential argument that being on a flight together could have caused the virus to spread more easily.

For a healthy adult a change in cold wether to warm weather should have very limited impact on your health or ability to catch a virus.

Also when people discuss our training camps, they probably aren't designed to have immediate impact. Particularly when they are in mid season. The conditioning work will be about maintaining fitness and hitting peak fitness at the end of the season. Any training camp for the CL Final will be completely different since we aren't looking to peak fitness wise in 2 moths time.

Blaming training camps for illness or poor form is a massive red herring.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #873 on: May 16, 2019, 12:54:15 pm »
What's the latest on their injuries? Vertonghen, Winks and Kane likely to be back?

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #874 on: May 16, 2019, 12:54:22 pm »
I see the media's placing pressure on us as if this is a win or die situation for us. After losing the league has settled after a few days, I'm beginning to ease up a little and i think we realise the amazing strides we've made. Losing the final would be absolute shit, particularly since my father supports Spurs but I'm strong enough to not let that potential shitty situation worry me.

Firstly, Spurs is not going to be a walkover. Make no mistake. Don't look into their PL form. This is going to be an extremely difficult game. Poch will know exactly how to stop us and what to do. We are also not invincible. I was watching Red Star Serbian league highlights yesterday and couldn't believe we lost to them in the UCL this season. But I'm quite sure our focus will be better than how it was in Belgrade, obviously.

So, why I'm confident: Most of the times Klopp has Poch's number. I think we lost just one game, and that was that shit Lovren game.
If our fans can go to Madrid in numbers in the stadium, then we can give it a home game feeling and that can make a big difference.

The best thing I can say about playing Spurs is that this is not Real Madrid, been there done it before Real Madrid, it's Spurs a small fish in a big pond and they could drown, while we were there last season. We got a score to settle and our minds are fixed on that. It's not PSG or Barca. There's no Messi, Ronaldo, or Mbappe to scare us. Yes, there's Son and Lucas and there's Poch tactics but we can do better than all that with our big guns and Klopp's tactics.

Number one: We got to have that Anfield feeling 'cos we all know they couldn't beat us at home. No one can for the last two seasons. Have some confidence in ourselves. Don't be nervous if it's even. The winning goal will come.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: May 16, 2019, 12:54:34 pm »

Blaming training camps for illness or poor form is a massive red herring.
yep. just people looking for excuses

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2019, 12:58:36 pm »
1992 FA cup final against against Sunderland was fairly comfortable.

We should sign Aguero then.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: May 16, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
What's the latest on their injuries? Vertonghen, Winks and Kane likely to be back?

Too early to tell, Vertonghen seems confident that he will make it by then

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: May 16, 2019, 01:12:48 pm »
Firstly, Spurs is not going to be a walkover. Make no mistake. Don't look into their PL form. This is going to be an extremely difficult game. Poch will know exactly how to stop us and what to do. We are also not invincible. I was watching Red Star Serbian league highlights yesterday and couldn't believe we lost to them in the UCL this season. But I'm quite sure our focus will be better than how it was in Belgrade, obviously.

I agree Spurs is not going to be a walkover, that's guaranteed, regardless of their form and head to head results between them.

The loss against Red Star, is not surprising to me. We were playing in an intense period of the season, we had just played against Arsenal the weekend before, and we were already going through sides like Spurs,Chelsea x2,City,Napoli,PSG in that opening part of the season. If you look at the game again, prior to them taking the lead, we had a glorious chance to take the lead and Sturridge misses an absolute sitter.

The group stages I don't analyze particularly too much. Keep in mind Spurs comfortably beat Real last year, who then beat us in the end. We had only lost one game last year in Europe before the final and that was the 2nd leg against Roma.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: May 16, 2019, 03:15:03 pm »

Think all will be back but doubt match fit which is a massive difference.

Kane and Winks might be rushed back. All 3 will make the squad no doubt.