Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 607430 times)

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #5400 on: August 3, 2018, 02:45:54 pm »
Damn, Blake Griffin will pay 280k a month child support bill

I've always thought he was pretty overrated. Injuries have definitely taken away much of his explosiveness, but at this point, he strikes me as a rich man's David Lee.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5401 on: August 3, 2018, 07:14:24 pm »
Damn, Blake Griffin will pay 280k a month child support bill
that kid must be fly as fuck in school

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #5402 on: August 3, 2018, 08:07:16 pm »
Not a fan of Wade here by any means but is there a case his ego doesn't accept coming off the bench?

Came out more harshly than I meant.
Several players can't accept a role spot due to ego or arrogance (I'm thinking Melo), others such as Wade might find it hard in the sense that the very competitive edge and drive that drove them to be who they are can also be a hinderance in accepting their approaching limitations and accepting a smaller role.  Wade is still a player that would be a valuable presence for a team, whether off the bench or starting, if only due to his leadership qualities and drive for success. Melo on the other hand only offers a strictly offensive game. And even then, the stats guys have always considered him to be vastly overrated. Plenty of players can offer you what Melo offers now but with extra defense+less drama+more drive.

The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5403 on: August 3, 2018, 08:29:24 pm »
Came out more harshly than I meant.
Several players can't accept a role spot due to ego or arrogance (I'm thinking Melo), others such as Wade might find it hard in the sense that the very competitive edge and drive that drove them to be who they are can also be a hinderance in accepting their approaching limitations and accepting a smaller role.  Wade is still a player that would be a valuable presence for a team, whether off the bench or starting, if only due to his leadership qualities and drive for success. Melo on the other hand only offers a strictly offensive game. And even then, the stats guys have always considered him to be vastly overrated. Plenty of players can offer you what Melo offers now but with extra defense+less drama+more drive.

Agreed. And I think regardless this won't end very well for Rockets anyways. Melo is all about "Melo" brand and stat padding to get his numbers. I am pretty sure he'd rather get his numbers and play substantial minutes in early play off exit instead of coming off the bench and getting small numbers but helping Rockets win. If Melo couldn't do it with Paul George, I just can't see him doing it with James and CP3 and Melo loves ISO basketball and not bll movement and shoot quick 3's from the corner.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5404 on: August 7, 2018, 05:20:58 pm »
Warriors To Play Kings In Seattle On Oct. 5

The Golden State Warriors will play the Sacramento Kings on Oct. 5 at KeyArena in Seattle.

The preseason game will be the NBA's first return to Seattle since the Sonics left for Oklahoma City in 2008.

Kevin Durant played his rookie season in Seattle with the Sonics.

“That would be amazing, hopefully that goes through,” Durant said in February of returning to Seattle for a preseason game, when the exhibition was in its planning stages. “I mean, the fans of Seattle definitely deserve basketball, and that would be amazing. So, I’m looking forward to that.”

Kings to Seattle confirmed then? ;)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5405 on: August 8, 2018, 02:08:50 am »

Kings to Seattle confirmed then? ;)

Maybe a few years ago. But now, no chance given that the Kings moved into Golden 1 Center a few years ago. It's located on David J. Stern Walk. The only way Seattle gets a team is if the city gets a NHL team first

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5406 on: August 9, 2018, 07:22:34 pm »
Kawhi Leonard Publishes Letter Thanking San Antonio

Kawhi Leonard published an open letter in the San Antonio Express-News several weeks after his trade from the San Antonio Spurs to the Toronto Raptors.

---

San Antonio,

I have been going back and forth the last few weeks trying to figure out the right things to say, and it comes down to two simple words: THANK YOU!

My family and I want to say THANK YOU to the entire Spurs organization and the people and fans of San Antonio.

THANK YOU to every one of my teammates I’ve played with over my seven years in the NBA.

THANK YOU Pop I’ll always be grateful for my growth under your guidance.

THANK YOU to the fans! There is not a more passionate or dedicated fan base than what I’ve witnessed in San Antonio.

Through all the ups and downs – I’m glad there were many more ups! – I’ll never forget what we have shared and accomplished together.

While I’m looking forward to the next chapter in my career, I’ll always remember the city and the people of San Antonio! THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

– Kawhi Leonard

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5407 on: August 9, 2018, 07:24:40 pm »
Go away Kawhi.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5408 on: August 9, 2018, 08:18:42 pm »
Go away Kawhi.
Crazy he didn't say a word about Toronto in that letter

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5409 on: August 9, 2018, 08:19:40 pm »
Can we trade him already?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5410 on: August 9, 2018, 09:47:12 pm »
Crazy he didn't say a word about Toronto in that letter
it was published in a San Antonio newspaper that’s likely why

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5411 on: August 9, 2018, 09:50:07 pm »

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5412 on: August 9, 2018, 09:51:45 pm »
For Demar? 8)

For almost anyone not called Kawhi Leonard. I cannot stand him. Sooner this season starts and finishes the better.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #5413 on: August 10, 2018, 06:56:49 pm »
Why you hate him already?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5414 on: August 17, 2018, 06:04:44 pm »
Really bizarre and scary story this one..

JJ Redick Discovered A Woman Caged Up In The Back Of A Car

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/08/16/jj-redick-caged-person-car-service-ride-story?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated&xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_medium=social

Redick said he was doing a photo shoot for MrPorter.com in New York City, and when the shoot was over, the company had a car to come pick him up.

"So the car is like facing ... sort of perpendicular to us. And I'm like, 'Sir, I think there's a person in your backseat.'

"And so he lifts the blanket up, but like towards the window, so that the blanket is facing up, so we couldn't see cause we were on the sidewalk—perpendicular to the car, not behind the car. And he's like 'No, there's nothing in here. There's nothing in here.' And he closes the blanket back, and then he closes the trunk.

"And as he's like walking around to the front seat, a head pops up. [Bamba starts to laugh.]

"It's the—no, this is not funny. There's a back of a female's head. She's got blond hair, there's a ponytail, and based on the size of the box or cage that this person is in, it's like either, like a very small human, or a child. And I'm like, 'We all saw it, right?'

"So he drives off, and then Kylee, now at this point, it's like, 'Are you sure? Was that a dog? Was that a dog with like a very fury tail?'

"And she's like, 'No. The reason I said there was a person is because I saw movement in my peripheral—out of my right eye. So I turned around, and the blanket was moving. So when I looked back, like half of a human face came out of the blanket. I saw a woman's eyes, woman's face, woman's blond hair.'"

Redick said he hadn't heard back from the police at the time of the recording of the podcast.

"It definitely was not a dog, I will say that," Redick continued. "It was a human being in the backseat of his car, under a blanket, in some sort of box or cage. That's my story."

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5415 on: August 17, 2018, 07:02:49 pm »
Just spent the morning with vince Carter. Didn’t know who he was to start with but what a gentleman. Learnt alot about pro sport too

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5416 on: August 17, 2018, 08:29:54 pm »
Just spent the morning with vince Carter. Didn’t know who he was to start with but what a gentleman. Learnt alot about pro sport too
was he surprised?

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5417 on: August 17, 2018, 08:36:57 pm »

What do you do for a living?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5418 on: August 17, 2018, 09:51:12 pm »
was he surprised?

Ha not at all. I said I feel I should know who he is and apologised and he laughed and said absolutely no problem. Think like many sports stars it must be quite nice to be anonymous a lot of the time

What do you do for a living?

Was totally unrelated to be honest. I played golf with him just by pure chance. We went as a two ball
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:16:13 pm by dudleyred »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5419 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:51 pm »
Ha not at all. I said I feel I should know who he is and apologised and he laughed and said absolutely no problem. Think like many sports stars it must be quite nice to be anonymous a lot of the time
Were you surprised he didn't know who you were? ;)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5420 on: August 17, 2018, 10:41:30 pm »
Were you surprised he didn't know who you were? ;)

I was disgusted ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5421 on: August 17, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5422 on: August 19, 2018, 02:47:08 pm »
Steve Ballmer: Clippers Will Move To Inglewood Come Hell Or High Water

Steve Ballmer remains committed to moving the Los Angeles Clippers to Inglewood. The Clippers are attempting to build an arena near the future stadium of the NFL's Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers.

Ballmer's ties to Seattle will follow the Clippers for as long as the NBA holds off on expansion to bring back the Sonics. Ballmer does spend a considerable amount of time in Los Angeles while his wife remains in the Pacific Northwest.

“I love L.A. I also love my wife, by the way, but I love L.A. and I don’t want there to be any mistake about it. We want to be part of the fabric of this community,” said Ballmer.

“We’re moving to Inglewood come hell or high water,” he said. “We gotta have a house. So we’re working on a plan to get our own house. We want to get our own house. It turns out the way this works in L.A., which is much beloved to me, that if you start now you might be done in six years.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-fan-reception-elliott-20180816-story.html#

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5423 on: August 22, 2018, 07:23:20 pm »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5424 on: August 22, 2018, 07:39:45 pm »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5425 on: August 22, 2018, 07:39:54 pm »
Has been a privilege to watch him play

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5426 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:26 pm »
Has been a privilege to watch him play
Absolutely, basketball IQ off the charts, one of the most craftiest players ever. When he was at his peak, one of the best players to watch for me.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5427 on: August 24, 2018, 06:36:37 am »
Per Woj:

ESPN Sources: NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes for 2018-19 season that include: reset of shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebound; simplification of clear-path foul rule; expanding definition of "hostile act" for purposes of triggering replay.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5428 on: August 24, 2018, 10:10:00 am »
Now tweet of Woj is confirmed, i really don’t like the league devaluing offensive boards.

The NBA is expected to approve multiple rule changes for the 18-19 season.

The shot clock will reset to 14 seconds from 24 on an offensive rebound. The NBA believes it will increase shot attempts, especially at the end of close games. The shot clock already resets to 14 seconds with a kicked ball.

The NBA will also change the clear-path rule and put it in effect in these three instances:

• "A personal foul is committed on any offensive player during his team's transition scoring opportunity."

• "When the foul occurs, the ball is ahead of the tip of the circle in the backcourt, no defensive player is ahead of the offensive player with the scoring opportunity and that offensive player is in control of the ball or a pass to him has been released."

• "The defensive foul deprives the offensive team of a transition scoring opportunity."

The expanded definition of the "hostile act" to trigger instant replay would now extend beyond interaction with another player to also include a hostile interaction with a referee, coach or a fan.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5429 on: August 25, 2018, 11:59:11 am »
The shot clock change feels unnecessary

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5430 on: August 27, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »
Manu officially announces his retirement, wish I’d got to see him play in the flesh

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5431 on: August 27, 2018, 07:38:14 pm »
We will miss you Manu, one of the best foreign players to play the game in NBA.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5432 on: September 1, 2018, 07:39:44 am »

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5433 on: September 1, 2018, 05:53:32 pm »
Sources: The Los Angeles Lakers and forward Luol Deng are finalizing a contract buyout as part of waive-and-stretch provision.

YEEEEEEEEEES

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5434 on: September 1, 2018, 06:29:37 pm »
Sources: The Los Angeles Lakers and forward Luol Deng are finalizing a contract buyout as part of waive-and-stretch provision.

YEEEEEEEEEES
How much would they pay him, the full 36.8M??

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5435 on: September 1, 2018, 07:39:28 pm »
Yeah read it’ll pretty much be close to full money but this is important because it will give the Lakers enough money to sign a player to a max contract in the summer of 2019. Lakers were scheduled to have about $25 million in cap space next summer, but will now have somewhere between $36 and $38 million.

EDIT: ESPN reporting with In buyout with Lakers, Luol Deng walked away from $7.5M on the $36.8M left on his contract. With waive and stretch provision, Lakers have cleared $38M in salary cap space in 2019 free agency.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2018, 09:45:33 pm by LFC_1981 »

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5436 on: September 1, 2018, 09:10:35 pm »
So next summer Lakers will have LeBron, (at least) four starting caliber players on rookie deals (Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart), two intriguing shooters entering their 2nd year (Wagner, Svi), all our future 1sts, $38M in cap, and Magic Johnson pitching FAs.

It's a miracle from where we were 2 years ago.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5437 on: September 2, 2018, 02:10:28 pm »
Yeah read it’ll pretty much be close to full money but this is important because it will give the Lakers enough money to sign a player to a max contract in the summer of 2019. Lakers were scheduled to have about $25 million in cap space next summer, but will now have somewhere between $36 and $38 million.

EDIT: ESPN reporting with In buyout with Lakers, Luol Deng walked away from $7.5M on the $36.8M left on his contract. With waive and stretch provision, Lakers have cleared $38M in salary cap space in 2019 free agency.
Bar Lebron signing, I am not a fan of your other summer signings honestly but the good thing is they are all on 1 year deal. You should've kept Randle imo.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5438 on: September 2, 2018, 03:03:40 pm »
Don't forget Lance Stephenson  ;D

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5439 on: September 2, 2018, 10:00:36 pm »
This Lakers team is gonna be really fun for the analytics community. The Lakers don't project to be a great team and guys like Lance, Beasley, even Rondo don't offer much by the numbers. The Lakers have gone for the whole 'vet mentality and youth dev' approach, will be interesting to see how it pans out.