Author Topic: Paris  (Read 183983 times)

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Paris
« Reply #2280 on: September 26, 2023, 01:31:28 am »
well done the Guardian for keeping this reporting going.  not a peep from the bbc on this today.

Hidden amongst the BBC football rumours page, which is disgusting.

I would love to say I am surprised by the actions of UEFA but I am not. Covering your arse matters more than the truth and always will to people like that.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #2281 on: September 27, 2023, 05:40:20 pm »

'Time up for Zeljko Pavlica':-

Uefa’s head of security must go

https://spiritofshankly.com/time-up-for-zeljko-pavlica

'Uefa have been accused of submitting “completely untrue” evidence to their own inquiry – the Independent Panel inquiry, detailing how and why a near disaster happened at the Champions League final in May 2022.

On 7 June last year, just over a week after events in Paris, Spirit of Shankly began calling for an independent investigation into what happened to ensure such a fiasco could not happen again and to rubbish the Uefa-backed claims that supporters had been to blame.

The French Senate also condemned the events, concluding that on the day ‘everyone was in their own camp with no real coordination’. Its statement did little to quell the rumours and allegations of cronyism within football’s governing body under Aleksander Ceferin’s leadership.

Published in February, the Inquiry concluded Uefa must take ‘prime responsibility’ for the debacle because it failed in its duty to manage safety plans and procedures. But, crucially, it stated this was not the fault of the safety and security unit headed by Zeljko Pavlica, but the events division, led by Sharon Burkhalter-Lau, who had ‘marginalised’ the unit.

Now Burkhalter-Lau has alleged Uefa presented ‘untrue’ evidence in order to protect Pavlica, who is the decades-long best friend of Uefa president Ceferin. To hear of these alleged cover-ups and lies during the Inquiry is contemptible.

That Pavlica – as head of security – has remained in his post since Paris is staggering, but in light of these latest revelations underpinned by his lack of individual responsibility and accountability he surely has to go. If he doesn’t then Ceferin’s position is also untenable.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2282 on: January 17, 2024, 12:12:05 am »
https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1747398245398003836

Solicitors representing Liverpool fans who "suffered physical and psychological" harm at the 2022 Champions League final in Paris have said UEFA is trying to prevent the case being heard in an English court.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #2283 on: March 22, 2024, 09:26:12 pm »

'Uefa settles civil claim with Liverpool fans over 2022 Champions League final':-

‘Full and final settlement’ with fans who suffered injury
Terms of the agreement remain confidential, says Uefa

www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/22/uefa-liverpool-champions-league-final-civil-claim

'A civil claim involving Liverpool fans who suffered injury and distress at the 2022 Champions League final in Paris has been settled.

Uefa issued a statement ­on Friday evening confirming that a “full and final ­settlement” had been agreed with fans represented by Pogust ­Goodhead and Bingham Long who had made ­personal injury claims.

The terms of the settlement will remain confidential, Uefa said.

An independent report published last year found Uefa bore “primary responsibility” for the failures which almost led to European club football’s biggest occasion becoming a “mass fatality catastrophe”.

Serious congestion problems outside the Stade de France in Paris saw thousands of Liverpool fans penned in against perimeter fences and stuck in a motorway underpass before the game against Real Madrid, with kick-off delayed by more than 30 minutes.

Those same supporters, who had already been targeted by local youths trying to steal tickets, were then teargassed and pepper-sprayed by police.

“Uefa has already taken a ­number of steps following the 2022 final, including implementing recommendations from the independent review and establishing a special refund scheme,” Uefa’s statement said on Friday.

“Today, it has gone further by ensuring that Liverpool fans represented by Pogust Goodhead and Bingham Long receive a sum by way of compensation in relation to the difficulties and challenges that they were confronted with.

“The parties have agreed the terms of this statement but that the terms of the settlement will otherwise remain confidential. The settlement agreement has been made without any admission of liability. Uefa is pleased to have reached a common position which it is hoped provides closure for the fans. Uefa will be making no further comment.”

A Liverpool fan who was part of the Pogust Goodhead and Binghams claim, Matt Douglas, said in an article previously published by the firms: “We left for the game with plenty of time ahead of us. We went to enter the ground at around 3.30pm and noticed most of the gates were closed.

“When fans shouted and tried to communicate with stewards, we were mostly ignored. People kept being let into the gate, and it became worrying … a large volume of people with nowhere to go. Things were getting tense, there were kids around us crying, and I was seriously worried for my safety.'

“I was next to a waist-high security divide which was about to fall over with the waves of pressure, and eventually I had to climb it rather than fall over it, but I still got injured … I broke my rib and have since been signed off work with it.

“Once we entered the ground, it got no better, we were hit with the aftermath of teargas, and our eyes were stinging.

“I have suffered what can only be described as PTSD for weeks, I have avoided crowds, and I don’t think I’m ready to attend a football match. I certainly will never go to Paris again.

“Uefa owed a duty of care to the fans, and they failed in that duty.”

The independent panel also said it was “troubled” by the authorities’ attempts to blame Liverpool fans without tickets for the chaos ­“without any evidential basis”.

“Assertions that late, ­ticketless supporters were either the ­primary cause or contributed to the ­dangerous events have a particular ­resonance with Hillsborough, where ­similar allegations were made … and persisted for decades before being ­comprehensively disproved,” the report said.

Michael Burke and Paul Hudson, members of the claimants’ legal team at Pogust Goodhead, said: “We are delighted that fellow supporters of Liverpool Football Club will soon be in receipt of compensation for the difficulties and challenges they faced at the 2022 Champions League Final. This was an exceptionally important case and to have played a part in it was a privilege.”

Gerard Long, managing director of Bingham Long, added: “As a local firm, it was important for us to be able to report back to [fans] that we had resolved the matter without lengthy legal proceedings, and they will receive some compensation.

“I would like to make clear that no deduction will be taken from my clients’ damages and that they will therefore receive 100% of the compensation received as part of this settlement.”'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2284 on: March 22, 2024, 11:26:43 pm »
Interesting the other firm Leigh Day not part of this settlement

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: March 23, 2024, 07:31:08 am »
I withdrew from the Bingham claim.
I wonder what the average settlement £ was.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2286 on: March 23, 2024, 08:00:09 am »
I withdrew from the Bingham claim.
I wonder what the average settlement £ was.

Did you join one of the other claims instead?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2287 on: March 23, 2024, 08:27:02 am »
Did you join one of the other claims instead?

No mate, I got some second hand tear gas and obviously the massive inconvenience and fear on the night but I wasn't prepared to overstate what I'd gone through to make it look like I had a claim. I'm not saying anyone else has done that, I just didn't feel comfortable when I'd seen some of the real suffering around me.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: March 23, 2024, 08:52:19 am »
That's a fair way of going about it John.
No point diluting more serious claims and there were plenty of those.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2289 on: March 23, 2024, 08:56:10 am »
No mate, I got some second hand tear gas and obviously the massive inconvenience and fear on the night but I wasn't prepared to overstate what I'd gone through to make it look like I had a claim. I'm not saying anyone else has done that, I just didn't feel comfortable when I'd seen some of the real suffering around me.

👍 fair comment

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: March 23, 2024, 09:43:48 am »
That's a fair way of going about it John.
No point diluting more serious claims and there were plenty of those.
I wouldn't blame anyone who pursued a claim just for the trauma. I felt traumatised siting in the airport coming home, and when I finally arrived home I could feel the emotion building and when I got through the door I just sat on the stairs and wept.
Temporarily scarred, a lot of it due to the defeat.
But not physically harmed.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #2291 on: March 23, 2024, 10:13:20 pm »
I wouldn't blame anyone who pursued a claim just for the trauma. I felt traumatised siting in the airport coming home, and when I finally arrived home I could feel the emotion building and when I got through the door I just sat on the stairs and wept.
Temporarily scarred, a lot of it due to the defeat.

But not physically harmed.
IMHO, based on the above, you had a case John!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #2292 on: March 23, 2024, 11:30:42 pm »

I took the same view - it shook me up and was horrible to be in it but there were those who suffered far far worse than me and it'd likely just have eaten into their share

I do wonder what might have happened had the likes of Dom King not been down with the fans chatting to us when some of the tear gassing happened - would we have been believed and had the wide spread support if people in the press hadn't experienced it first hand

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2293 on: March 24, 2024, 12:09:46 am »
I took the same view - it shook me up and was horrible to be in it but there were those who suffered far far worse than me and it'd likely just have eaten into their share

I do wonder what might have happened had the likes of Dom King not been down with the fans chatting to us when some of the tear gassing happened - would we have been believed and had the wide spread support if people in the press hadn't experienced it first hand

Considering some of the comments I've read online today on stories about the settlement I'd say sadly a lot of people still choose not to believe what happened.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #2294 on: March 24, 2024, 12:25:28 am »
Considering some of the comments I've read online today on stories about the settlement I'd say sadly a lot of people still choose not to believe what happened.

The Hillsborough documents were unredacted, published, and a trial was held that even though it failed to hold the likes of Duckingworth to account at least explicitly exonerated our fans and some still don't believe it - for those people there is no helping them and Twitter brings out the worst

The fact though that it got as far as it has in terms of the media (not perfectly but when even the Telegraph is on your side you know it has been seen and believed) then its a goddamn improvement on what our fans have put up with for years.

Sadly you then have the media reverting to type with things like "4 Manchester Utd fans arrested for tragedy chanting; 4 Liverpool fans also arrested" implying it was for the same thing which means a step back for every step forward the reporting on Paris brings.

We can only hope that these baby steps become bigger - but then when you notice the volume of police at our end near full time in the League Cup final vs the number at the Chelsea end you can see the establishment still hasn't removed all their biases. The believer in me wants to think it was only due to us being ahead and therefore they think the risk of pitch invasions to celebrate are higher so it was "tactical" and that they'd had done the same had Chelsea gone ahead but after the last few years I know that isn't the case.

Either way - I want to see the best in this situation and hope for a better future with it

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2295 on: March 24, 2024, 02:54:33 pm »
Can someone explain why this affected liverpool fans and not the real Madrid. Something very sinister about the whole thing

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2296 on: March 24, 2024, 04:29:15 pm »

I had anxiety for about 3 months after, but like you didn't see the worst of events that day. For similar reasons never got involved with the lawsuits.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline The WASP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2298 on: March 24, 2024, 06:56:32 pm »
What do we reckon the average pay out will be? Something similar to the ticket price?

Offline Sat on the bar

• Main Stander
« Reply #2299 on: March 24, 2024, 08:26:24 pm »
What do we reckon the average pay out will be? Something similar to the ticket price?
I suppose if they offered something derogatory like that, then people would decline and assess further options. Whatever is offered to anybody after that night, it wouldn’t put things right. Those who were there that night, know the truth and the sickening scenes that unfolded. Uefa may be wording that they accept no liability, when we all know by agreeing a pay settlement, they are admitting to being guilty as sin, (S)hush money.

Offline The WASP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2300 on: March 24, 2024, 08:53:27 pm »
With respect I don't think people will have much of a choice. Of course it's hush money and UEFA is not short of money and want this gone. There will have been horse trading between the lawyers and this is the best they feel they can get.

There will be differing categories of compensation depending on evidence and personal situation. For the majority, say UEFa have agreed to pay between £3m and £5m  then for around 15000 to 20000 genuine ticket holders affected who claimed it works out a few hundred each.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: March 24, 2024, 09:04:55 pm »
If UEFA think they can buy off Liverpool fans then there's entire British institutions they need to start talking to.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #2302 on: March 24, 2024, 09:11:46 pm »
This agreement is only for the cohort of fans represented by Bingham Long & Pogust Goodhead.  The agreement as to damages has been made by those firms with uefa but not yet communicated to their clients.  All of those clients have been told they cannot make the amount public or assist anyone else advancing a claim.
Every Trefoil has a story

In the 1980's UK cities saw the terraces full of three stripes as the football 'Casuals' developed an obsession for trainers and styles such as Rom, Forest Hills and Samba.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2303 on: March 24, 2024, 09:13:06 pm »
I had anxiety for about 3 months after, but like you didn't see the worst of events that day. For similar reasons never got involved with the lawsuits.
My lad left me in Paris and went on a pre-planned tour of Italy by train for a week, then met a load of us in Rome for a big family holiday in the Italian countryside the  Saturday after the final.
Sitting on my own in the airport coming home didn't help. It was so mute and sombre and I couldn't help but wonder how good it could have been. There was a few single travellers around me and I didn't have the strength or initiative for even a nod or a chat. Nobody did.
When I got home, as I said, it was emotional. But I had the holiday to look forward to that following Saturday.
My lad and I were distracted and unharmed.
But I did spend that week talking to people about being close to the front of the queue with the gate closed, with a huge crowd behind and one bloke shouting HOLD STILL.
Everyone did with the only exception being a bloke trying to get to the front covered in blood because he'd been beaten up in the perimeters of the stadium.

I asked the settlement question out of interest, not because I want compensation, I was surprised I got my ticket refunded. Whatever anyone got it will be fully deserved. I've probably outlined a % of my experience after the event, I'm not even sure to be honest. We mustn't conflate it with anything, but fuck me you shouldn't go to a game and experience so much and so many disturbing scenes.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2304 on: March 25, 2024, 09:38:40 pm »
My lad left me in Paris and went on a pre-planned tour of Italy by train for a week, then met a load of us in Rome for a big family holiday in the Italian countryside the  Saturday after the final.
Sitting on my own in the airport coming home didn't help. It was so mute and sombre and I couldn't help but wonder how good it could have been. There was a few single travellers around me and I didn't have the strength or initiative for even a nod or a chat. Nobody did.
When I got home, as I said, it was emotional. But I had the holiday to look forward to that following Saturday.
My lad and I were distracted and unharmed.
But I did spend that week talking to people about being close to the front of the queue with the gate closed, with a huge crowd behind and one bloke shouting HOLD STILL.
Everyone did with the only exception being a bloke trying to get to the front covered in blood because he'd been beaten up in the perimeters of the stadium.

I asked the settlement question out of interest, not because I want compensation, I was surprised I got my ticket refunded. Whatever anyone got it will be fully deserved. I've probably outlined a % of my experience after the event, I'm not even sure to be honest. We mustn't conflate it with anything, but fuck me you shouldn't go to a game and experience so much and so many disturbing scenes.

It's a real shame and a complete contrast to the Kiev final we'd lost 4 years beforehand.

A friend of mine got separated from his brother going in and didn't know what had happened to him until he found him safe & sound at half time. Had him in tears the following morning. Another fella I know has an autistic son and they spent the whole of the next day at the Airport because the boy wanted out of Paris ASAP. I had anxiety around crowds for a while afterwards, had it on a packed concourse waiting for a train and then again at Old Trafford on the concourse last season an hour before kick off.

Hopefully those have got compensation, it will bring some form of closure.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: March 26, 2024, 01:40:30 pm »

this is fair. i believe there's different payouts dependent on the 'tier' of your claim. i'm hopeful some of the more serious claims are able to get paid a fair amount, but then who really can quantify this sort of thing!?

people i know are planning just to donate the money they get
YNWA.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2306 on: March 26, 2024, 10:55:06 pm »
I feel that too.  I posted on here that me 73 year old Da left the ground early ( ah fuck off Liverpool mood ) . Anyway he got attacked and took a few vollies to his head . He went to his doctors a few times in June and in July he had some kind of stroke thing . He's been in hozzy a few times since and had two operations . He gets out once , maybe twice a week now on his crutches and we have a pint . His quality of life has declined ever since and I know he'll never be the same again. I've got knots in my stomach typing this.

The fuckin C unts !

He never got his ticket from an official source so me Da' who's been going to the match since the late 50's ends up getting booting in the bollocks like this ! He's been to two or three home games since . It's not about the dough as we all know . Things like PTSD as a few posters have mentioned does not shift that easily no matter what the causes were we get counselling and therapy from it is a hard thing to shift . Ah you know what'll get him through this is me Da is still ( no such thing as an ex Para )  in the 3rd Battallion of the Parachute ( B - Coy ) so he'll be sound .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #2307 on: March 28, 2024, 11:37:25 am »
And tell your Dad he is a million times the terrible people who did that to him. Respect!

Offline stefbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #2308 on: Today at 05:10:42 pm »
Has anyone else had problems with Bingham about the Uefa claim? Just spoke to them today after trying to speak to them for 3 weeks and they basically told me that I didnt send the screenshot of the tickets payment on time and becuase of that I won't receive any compensation