Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1324108 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: VAR! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... ?
« Reply #5480 on: November 14, 2019, 05:07:15 pm »
I think POPs right. Martin Atkinson and Anthony Taylor are pretending to be fucking useless because they’re concerned about the impact on grassroots football and the lower levels
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5481 on: November 14, 2019, 05:10:42 pm »
The Premier League has committed to improving supporter experience with VAR, but has resisted pressure to use pitchside monitors unless an exceptional case arises.

Both Premier League and PGMOL, the referees' body, committed to "improving the consistency of decisions, speeding up processes and increasing communication to fans" and said that VAR should be under constant review.

However, there was no commitment to make any significant change to VAR protocol for this season but research will take place to canvas the views of fans and stakeholders.

Representative of all 20 clubs met in central London on Thursday for the league's regular meeting, and the four-hour summit was dominated by VAR as refs' chief Mike Riley was quizzed.

Riley told the meeting that the accuracy of decisions on key match-changing incidents had been improved from 82% last season to 91%, but he accepted improvement is required and that "speed and consistency of decision-making are priority areas of work and will improve as the officials become more experienced with the technology and protocols."

Controversially, pitchside monitors, which by IFAB protocol should be used by the match referee to review subjective decisions, have not been called into action once in 120 Premier League games. But calls for a change in policy have been rejected because "the pace and tempo of Premier League football remains an important focus for clubs."

However, the Premier League has accepted that communication for supporters inside the stadia and watching around the world is a major issue, and it plans to provide more precise information via screens inside grounds and to broadcasters to clearly state the offence that is being checked.

A statement from the Football Supporters' Association said: "We've made clear to the Premier League that match-going fans have been left behind when it comes to VAR use in stadiums and it needs to be urgently addressed.

"We hope today's announcement leads to an improvement for fans in the stadium and we'd also like better communication via PA systems and even pitchside advertising hoardings."

The Premier League is the only major league in Europe to show the definitive clip or image for all overturned decisions with the ground. The average time to complete a check is 33 seconds, and the average time for an overturn is 75 seconds, with an average of 6.5 checks per game and an overturned decision once every 4.1 games.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I just ask in what world do the PGMOL live in when they claim it only takes on average 33 seconds to do a check and 75 seconds to overturn?

Having been to a few matches recently, these figures do not compute. Makes me wonder about their other stats..
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5482 on: November 14, 2019, 05:11:36 pm »
I think POPs right. Martin Atkinson and Anthony Taylor are pretending to be fucking useless because they’re concerned about the impact on grassroots football and the lower levels

It's the cunningest of plans. It was developed by a fox who was appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5483 on: November 14, 2019, 05:13:34 pm »
The laws aren't different, how they are applied/decided are.

It's no different to goal line tech, mics to talk between linesmen and ref, the buzzy thing when a linesman flags, the spray for 10 yards, actually having linesmen, a 4th official, etc...all things not all levels of football have, but they simply aid the same rules/laws to be applied.

Having the VAR overrule the Centre Ref is a different law. That's what a number of people are advocating.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5484 on: November 14, 2019, 05:15:39 pm »
Having the VAR overrule the Centre Ref is a different law. That's what a number of people are advocating.

It's not overruling if they actually start telling the on pitch ref they were wrong though and then the ref have the humility to accept that another trained professional ref is able to make the right decision with the help of multiple angles, replays, etc.

Also, which rule is it regarding on pitch ref which this would be challenging?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5485 on: November 14, 2019, 05:17:14 pm »
It's not overruling if they actually start telling the on pitch ref they were wrong though and then the ref have the humility to accept that another trained professional ref is able to make the right decision with the help of multiple angles, replays, etc.

Law 5

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5486 on: November 14, 2019, 05:21:14 pm »
Law 5

Which part of that prevents VAR telling a ref they are 100% wrong?

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5487 on: November 14, 2019, 05:22:59 pm »

Sorry...

What you want is the VAR official to rule as you see fit. Henceforth known as the Pep Guardiola rule. :wave

On subjective calls, the Ref on the pitch makes those. Unless there is a "clear and obvious mistake" his decision stands and VAR will back the on pitch ref.

VAR is not there to re-referee a match or use the Pep Guardiola rule.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5488 on: November 14, 2019, 05:38:29 pm »
Which part of that prevents VAR telling a ref they are 100% wrong?

The VAR is free to tell the CR they made a mistake. That's not what overruling is. Overruling is when the CR makes a decision, and then VAR overturns it and forces the CR to change. That will violate Law 5 as it currently stands:

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final. The decisions of the referee, and all other match officials, must always be respected.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5489 on: November 14, 2019, 05:50:33 pm »
The VAR is free to tell the CR they made a mistake. That's not what overruling is. Overruling is when the CR makes a decision, and then VAR overturns it and forces the CR to change. That will violate Law 5 as it currently stands:

There is no way I want VAR to overrule the CR.

I want it like rugby, if the linesman/CR are 100% certain, then they call it, no VAR involvement. Any doubt, they use VAR and the pitchside monitor to check. VAR should also be able to advise the ref to look again, but should never have the authority to overrule.

VAR is spoiling goals for everyone, TV or ground. Our first on Sunday, Oliver has a perfect view and rightly says no pen , we score a goal that is 100% clean, why the fuck is VAR involved? Second, no way can lineo call that, so let VAR check. Our 3rd and their goal, both clean, again keep VAR out of it.

PGMOL are idiots and the Premier League are a bunch of pricks for allowing VAR to be used as it is.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5490 on: November 14, 2019, 05:55:21 pm »
There is no way I want VAR to overrule the CR.

I want it like rugby, if the linesman/CR are 100% certain, then they call it, no VAR involvement. Any doubt, they use VAR and the pitchside monitor to check. VAR should also be able to advise the ref to look again, but should never have the authority to overrule.

VAR is spoiling goals for everyone, TV or ground. Our first on Sunday, Oliver has a perfect view and rightly says no pen , we score a goal that is 100% clean, why the fuck is VAR involved? Second, no way can lineo call that, so let VAR check. Our 3rd and their goal, both clean, again keep VAR out of it.

PGMOL are idiots and the Premier League are a bunch of pricks for allowing VAR to be used as it is.

Nothing wrong with that method at all. I'd also mic up the refs too.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5491 on: November 14, 2019, 06:19:01 pm »
Sorry...

What you want is the VAR official to rule as you see fit. Henceforth known as the Pep Guardiola rule. :wave

Literally no idea what you're going on about in here anymore to be honest.

The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal is scored and the result of the match, are final.

Well VAR already makes your interpretation of that untrue, because the refs decision on the pitch isn't final. The ref can be told by the VAR they were totally wrong and the decision can be changed.

to be honest I'm fine with the ref having the final decision after the VAR tells them they are 100% wrong. It would just be nice to know what the VAR decided and then if the on pitch ref still went against this. That way the real shite & bent refs can be shown for what they are.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5492 on: November 14, 2019, 06:35:12 pm »
Nothing wrong with that method at all. I'd also mic up the refs too.

That's why I was always for VAR, as I thought they would look at rugby, see how they use it and copy it as much as possible. Having the back up takes the guess work away and should make the officials jobs easier.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #5493 on: November 14, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »

I agree, rugby league has it spot on, and showing the views the Video Ref is getting on the big screen usually means the crowd have come to the decision themselves before the announcement is made.  I'd like the clock to stop when all this debating is going on too rather than adding time on at the end, but what's it got to do with me?  I'm just a fucking customer.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5494 on: November 15, 2019, 03:40:25 am »
I agree, rugby league has it spot on, and showing the views the Video Ref is getting on the big screen usually means the crowd have come to the decision themselves before the announcement is made.  I'd like the clock to stop when all this debating is going on too rather than adding time on at the end, but what's it got to do with me?  I'm just a fucking customer.

The stopped clock thing is shite. I've done that. Game goes on for ages.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5495 on: November 15, 2019, 08:02:36 am »
The stopped clock thing is shite. I've done that. Game goes on for ages.

In the current form, no way stop the clock, but if VAR was used properly it wouldn't cause issues. Thinking about the City game, there was one decision that actually required VAR, which was our second goal. Villa game there was three, their goal, Bobbys disallowed goal and the not given penalty. At the MOST, these reviews should be taking 60 seconds, including time for the ref to run to the monitor. For some of the offsides, VAR could easily call it before the ref even reached the monitor.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5496 on: November 15, 2019, 02:51:31 pm »
Novel idea but how about the Ref goes to the monitor for each VAR review to go through the decision making with the VAR official for inside the box incidents ( not offside calls).

Instead of the Ref waiting for the VAR official to review the incident, determine "clear and obvious", then communicate to the on field Ref.

Online Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #5497 on: November 15, 2019, 02:58:08 pm »
Its an utter mess. MOTD2 said that the PGMOL informed them when asked that Silvas handball would have ruled out any goal if the ball had gone to Sterling (apt name for the greedy bastard) but isn't counted in the decision on Trent. Last time I looked a penalty was a goal scoring opportunity, so if the handball leads to a goal, then surely if it directly leads to a penalty, that has to be considered too?????

They are quite strict in the PL on distance and if a ball is driven at a player a lot won't give it. It is in the laws that distance is a factor in the referees decision. Both of Trents were deemed that he didn't have time to react, the first looks a lot worse in slow mo - annoyance for me was Shearer saying Trents arm wasn't in a natural position, err what about Agueros arms then, is he trying to handle the ball or are his arms just there due to natural movement?

Spot on, heard this argument the other day.  How can you penalise Trent for having his arm in an "unnatural" position when there's a bloke next to him with his arm in an even worse "unnatural" position

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5498 on: November 15, 2019, 08:11:25 pm »
What I don't get in the image above, why is Lovren doing the robot dance when everyone else is trying to handle the ball?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #5499 on: November 15, 2019, 08:16:04 pm »
What I don't get in the image above, why is Lovren doing the robot dance when everyone else is trying to handle the ball?

Kraftwerk

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5500 on: November 15, 2019, 08:23:22 pm »
Spot on, heard this argument the other day.  How can you penalise Trent for having his arm in an "unnatural" position when there's a bloke next to him with his arm in an even worse "unnatural" position

What would you penalise Aguero for? The ball never hit his hand
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5501 on: November 15, 2019, 08:27:51 pm »
What would you penalise Aguero for? The ball never hit his hand

The pundits were all saying Trents arm was in an unnatural position, yet Agueros are spread wider and are higher, thus disproving this unnatural position argument.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5502 on: November 15, 2019, 08:39:07 pm »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #5503 on: November 15, 2019, 08:53:19 pm »
Kraftwerk

We are the Robots

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oA7eOZ3d8ts" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oA7eOZ3d8ts</a>
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:55:16 pm by dimwit »

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #5504 on: November 16, 2019, 10:31:26 pm »
Having the power to overrule is definitely a big change that I simply cannot see ever happening, as well as being the wrong thing to do for all sorts of reasons.
Assistant referees often consult with the referee and change the initial view of a referee, so consultation is already a part of officiating. I don't see how VAR is any different in that respect.

I'm also of the view that a referee who has clearly seen an incident and judged it to be, or not to be an infringement, shouldn't necessarily accept the guidance from a VAR, unless that person offers some information he has not seen. A good example would be the TAA handling incident. Atkinson had a clear view, judged it not to be infringement, even though he saw it hit the arm, and waved off claims immediately. If the VAR had said, "hey look it struck his arm, I might have given handball there", I think the onfield referee can still stick to his judgment. The position of the arm being natural or unnatural is not, and cannot be clearly defined, so the onfield referee has to stick to his initial call.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5505 on: November 16, 2019, 10:37:03 pm »
What is hand ball.

Left to me, I would hardly award any.

The CL final?  Not deliberate. 

Hechoz in Cardiff .... not deliberate...

They are hardly ever deliberate, and players are hardly ever using their arms to increase the size to help block the ball.

This idea of ‘natural’ positions? It’s fucking stupid.  You don’t run, or turn, or jump, or header, or shoot, or tackle with your arms by your side.

They move, they balance you, they follow your body. 

The whole thing is fucking nonsense governed by people who seem ignorant of how humans actually move.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5506 on: November 16, 2019, 11:37:30 pm »
Having the power to overrule is definitely a big change that I simply cannot see ever happening, as well as being the wrong thing to do for all sorts of reasons.
Assistant referees often consult with the referee and change the initial view of a referee, so consultation is already a part of officiating. I don't see how VAR is any different in that respect.

I'm also of the view that a referee who has clearly seen an incident and judged it to be, or not to be an infringement, shouldn't necessarily accept the guidance from a VAR, unless that person offers some information he has not seen. A good example would be the TAA handling incident. Atkinson had a clear view, judged it not to be infringement, even though he saw it hit the arm, and waved off claims immediately. If the VAR had said, "hey look it struck his arm, I might have given handball there", I think the onfield referee can still stick to his judgment. The position of the arm being natural or unnatural is not, and cannot be clearly defined, so the onfield referee has to stick to his initial call.

You mean Oliver, not Atkinson, right? The only way Atkinson wouldn't have penalised Trent is if he got so excited he swallowed his whistle.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... ?
« Reply #5507 on: November 17, 2019, 08:37:07 am »
What is hand ball.

They are hardly ever deliberate, and players are hardly ever using their arms to increase the size to help block the ball.

This idea of ‘natural’ positions? It’s fucking stupid.  You don’t run, or turn, or jump, or header, or shoot, or tackle with your arms by your side.

The whole thing is fucking nonsense governed by people who seem ignorant of how humans actually move.

There are a lot more deliberate handballs than you suggest. John Terry was a master of spreading his arms and blocking the ball and it is an art a lot of defenders have learnt

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5508 on: November 18, 2019, 06:47:03 pm »
What is hand ball.

What is a foul?
How many times in a match do you see a foul given for the slightest contact? A player falling to the ground because their arm got touched? Falling over because they felt the slightest contact on their leg?
In rugby we see 16/17/18 stone men running at full speed and get met side on, face on with another big mother fucker and they still dont go down. I get that they're 2 totally different sports, but if a guy the size of a rugby player cant bring down someone while wrapping their arms around them, then how the hell does touching someone on the arm bring a footballer down?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5509 on: November 18, 2019, 06:54:34 pm »

What!? What is this heresy!? That was one of the finest saves in FA Cup Final history!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5510 on: November 18, 2019, 08:31:53 pm »
What is a foul?
How many times in a match do you see a foul given for the slightest contact? A player falling to the ground because their arm got touched? Falling over because they felt the slightest contact on their leg?
In rugby we see 16/17/18 stone men running at full speed and get met side on, face on with another big mother fucker and they still dont go down. I get that they're 2 totally different sports, but if a guy the size of a rugby player cant bring down someone while wrapping their arms around them, then how the hell does touching someone on the arm bring a footballer down?
You have clearly neglected to account for wind speed in your analysis.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5511 on: November 18, 2019, 08:38:53 pm »
What is a foul?

Footballers are fannies.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5512 on: November 18, 2019, 10:37:20 pm »
What is a foul?

Touched on the arm - probably shouldn't go down. Tap on the leg or foot? Can easily bring someone down if they're running at speed.

Back in my schooldays, we learned how to tap someone's foot into their other foot, sending them sprawling. You could do it at walking pace if you got it right.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #5513 on: November 19, 2019, 07:08:11 am »
You have clearly neglected to account for wind speed in your analysis.

Laden or unladen?
'Nuff said...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5514 on: November 19, 2019, 07:31:19 am »
Alan is right, it doesn't take much to trip someone running. Rugby players are expecting the hit and they are WAAAAAY stronger than footballers. What gets me is the theatrics in the fall. You get tripped and you aren't playing best man dead, you go down like a sack of shit, you don't fly through the air, legs folded under, head thrown back arms all over the place.

Heres Luke Shaw in an unexpected trip

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #5515 on: November 19, 2019, 10:12:51 am »
I remember a game between CFC and Barca where Terry and Ronaldinho were both playing. Ronaldinho was playing to his usual standard and was quite often fouled, behaving like footballers normally behave when fouled. However a situation then arose where he was going through a gap just outside the penalty area - if he got through, it was a goal. Terry spotted this and raced across to him at speed to body check Ronaldinho from the side at full speed - a formiddable force. Ronaldinho new it was coming and adjusted his centre of gravity (ala Dalglish) and Terry bounced off him (!) - goal. That shows what can be done when you know whats coming. I agree with the above though that when moving at full speed the slightest shove or ankle tap (which is easy to disguise as accidental, although anyone who has ever played knows, you know when you're too close) and your a goner - and their are no aeronautics, chin ploughs furrow in most undignified fashion.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #5516 on: November 19, 2019, 11:21:48 am »
I think we are trying to use VAR as an added insurance with the offside trap on opponent free kicks inside our half. 
To defend the free-kick, our defense lines up on 18yrd line and pushes up just as the free kick is taken to render any advancing attackers very likely offside. Then I guess there's a good chance Allison sweeps up anything in behind. VAR should make this work better ie. We will sometimes need VAR for attackers crossing over defenders which are marginal.  We do this a lot now and commentators have pointed it out or said that sometimes it doesn't work  (offside isn't given) But it seems that's generally if there is no goal even when striker is clearly offside on replay (based on linesman instructions to not raise flag initially, if a marginal offside?). 
One exception was Villa goal, which itself was close to offside, but you could see the attacker timing his run from far out to beat the trap.
It has been very effective up to now but, have to be honest - it makes me nervous and needs discipline (and probably VAR) to execute correctly.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5517 on: November 19, 2019, 09:24:09 pm »
One to get PoP fuming  8)

Could have done with it in the Bromley V Bristol City FA Cup replay. Bromley throw, takes it long, goes in - correctly disallowed as didn't touch anyone on the way in, Bromley players and crowd not happy, especially as they had a first half goal ruled off for offside - wrongly according to BT commentators.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #5518 on: November 21, 2019, 11:15:57 am »
Alan is right, it doesn't take much to trip someone running. Rugby players are expecting the hit and they are WAAAAAY stronger than footballers. What gets me is the theatrics in the fall. You get tripped and you aren't playing best man dead, you go down like a sack of shit, you don't fly through the air, legs folded under, head thrown back arms all over the place.

Heres Luke Shaw in an unexpected trip

You want to be sure that the ref sees it. If you have been fouled, you deserve a penalty. No point at all in pretending that you have not been fouled and giving up a chance to do what you are paid thousands of pounds a day for. So if you just quietly totter and keep your feet, who does that help? If you feel contact, go down, and make sure everyone sees it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5519 on: November 21, 2019, 12:01:56 pm »
You want to be sure that the ref sees it. If you have been fouled, you deserve a penalty. No point at all in pretending that you have not been fouled and giving up a chance to do what you are paid thousands of pounds a day for. So if you just quietly totter and keep your feet, who does that help? If you feel contact, go down, and make sure everyone sees it.

Yeah go down, but don't make it look like Tom Daly off top board  ;)