Author Topic: Will Kenny or Comoli be scouting any players at the international matches  (Read 349143 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Re: Will Kenny or Comoli be scouting any players at the international matches
« Reply #3120 on: April 13, 2011, 03:20:39 pm »
I can understand your opinion about Downing as I don't see anything special in him, but Kranjcar is quality to me and he is a top player who is benched because 'Arry prefers giving the likes of Jenas & Palacios more chances than him. Kranjcar was immense for Spurs last year and helped fire them into forth, I remember two games for him this year which he was very good for Spurs and they were against Sunderland & Bolton. If we're going to have 40m pounds plus player sales which would amount to about 60m to spend next year then I prefer if we spend them on about 7-8 very good players than spend them on just 4 quality players and suffer from lack of depth again.

I'd rather we built slow and brought in three or four real quality signings each season,  then try and rush it like we have done in the past and bring in 7-8 decent to good squad players just to bolster up the number.

As for Kranjcar he has undoubted quality, but is too inconsistent for me and a little lightweight if im being honest.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #3121 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:00 pm »
I'd rather we built slow and brought in three or four real quality signings each season,  then try and rush it like we have done in the past and bring in 7-8 decent to good squad players just to bolster up the number.

As for Kranjcar he has undoubted quality, but is too inconsistent for me and a little lightweight if im being honest.

This. Four a season over the next two years while culling a few and slowly introducing the talent we have in the rezzies and under 18's. Kranjcar's is a non starter imo. Bale and Lennon would be good, Hazard would be great but most importantly we need Kenny to dig deep down in their soul when he asks the question "how much do ye wannae play for Liverpool, son?"
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3122 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:10 pm »
Ashley Young is as good as gone (Man U or Liverpool) and so I don't see Villa selling Downing in the same summer. Downing has a few years left on his contract and I doubt will be going anywhere. Although Oliver Kay did mention him as a possible target in his chat today...

Eh I hope not.  Probably costs too much anyway, considering his age and contract status.  Wouldn't want him.  Plus, for whatever reason, most of Villa's formers players haven't done particularly well elsewhere.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3123 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:23 pm »
This. Four a season over the next two years while culling a few and slowly introducing the talent we have in the rezzies and under 18's. Kranjcar's is a non starter imo. Bale and Lennon would be good, Hazard would be great but most importantly we need Kenny to dig deep down in their soul when he asks the question "how much do ye wannae play for Liverpool, son?"

It doesn't have to be Bale or Lennon(no chance of gettin them anyway). Just young talented players that can grow with the club.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: April 13, 2011, 03:59:14 pm »
We talking bout kranjcar and downing as back up or first 11, i'd have them on the bench without a doubt

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »
I'd rather buy 3 quality players instead of 6 to boost the squad. There's a good youth and reserve system there if we need cover, as well as demoted first team players. Buying the likes of Downing or Krancjar to sit on the bench just stunts the development of players who cost us nowt.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: April 13, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »
Too late for that. He has had his head turned by some London club...thats all I know. Dont know if he's staying or going, what club or any other transfer news.

How could you possibly know that?
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3127 on: April 13, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »
I'd rather buy 3 quality players instead of 6 to boost the squad. There's a good youth and reserve system there if we need cover, as well as demoted first team players. Buying the likes of Downing or Krancjar to sit on the bench just stunts the development of players who cost us nowt.

Would the likes of Downing and Krancjar be the right age to bridge the gap between the young players emerging on the fringes of the 1st team squad to becoming 1st team regulars a few years down the road?

I'm not advocating buying Downing or Krancjar here but just an honest question. I  don't think the attacking youth/reserve players are ready to step up into the 1st team as of yet (Pacheco excepted). In a year or 2's time, maybe they will.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: April 13, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »
On the bench at Real with Canales, Leon, Granero and Kaka? How is he not maximising his career winning the trophies with his boyhood club? Are you actually Michael Owen?

First things first, he wouldn't be competing with any of the players you named. And he's not maximising his career because he wouldn't be earning enough, he wouldn't develop a massive brand image playing in the Bundesliga, therefore he'd make less through sponsorship deals and image rights etc, he also wouldn't be competiting at the very top level and therefore he'll struggle to leave behind a legacy. No idea what the Owen comment is about..

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3129 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:02 pm »
It's a fair question, but I'd just like us to move away from buying filler. Unless they're good enough to improve the first team I'd rather take our chances on throwing a young lad in there. Ferguson has done it for years with some good success. There isn't the the revolving door of substandard players every summer when you're making better use of your own resources.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #3130 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:27 pm »

Agreed.

If we are buying players, I think we need to buy players who are going to play, but in some instances we may have to sign an older player just for a bit of nouse at a given position who won't play every game but will provide decent support and experience. Like spurs did with gallas, they bought an old head for a problem position, didn't expect him to play every game; but you need to ensure their not just out for a payday, see Mexes...

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3131 on: April 13, 2011, 04:27:19 pm »
Dont talk shit I hardly ever post on threads concerning potential transfers so likening me to mac red(who I actually dont mind btw) is way off the mark. And to me its just sounds like someone looking for an argument.

Also Bale and Lennon where massively rated youngsters who have got better with Tottenham as the club its self has got better. These are the type of players we need to be looking at bringing in. Not players like Kranjcar or Downing who are nowhere near good enough. If we want to get back into the top four, we need to try were we can to sign players of better quality then the likes of tottenhams squad players. It wont be easy as it looks like we wont have european football next season, but we need to try where we can.

As I said easier said than done. Not even Utd challenge City & Chelsea in the transfer market plus then you have Barca, Madrid, Bayern, AC and Inter - These have CL football and money.

City have spend 250m and might not even get in to the top 4.

I will say it again - It's not just quality you need it players that play for the shirt and team spirit. Now not being in the CL next season hopefully we will sign players that really want to play for the club and be apart of the clubs future and see the vision not just the wage. 

Now I have never been a massive fan of Downing but you ask any Villa fan and they will say he is 1 of their best players and gives 100% every game. It's going to be fight to get into the top 4 and you need players that are up for that fight.

Not all our signings in the summer will be of high quality so to speak.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:48:27 pm by Fordy »

Offline pcch7

• Fuck off and do some work you lazy fops
  • Legacy Fan
  • There can be only one and he is I.
« Reply #3132 on: April 13, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »
I wouldn´t mind Downing.. Decent skill & pace and puts in a LOT of crosses.. Pretty good ones at that, even with his right foot. I wouldn´t be happy if we only got Marveaux and Downing though, I want someone really skillfull as well. I´d like to get both Young and Downing from Villa but I think Young is more likely to end up in Manchester..
Don't fuck with Sheryl Crow. Or Russel Crow. Or the guy from the crow. Or crows.

Best staying away from Leslie Crowther, too.... just in case.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #3133 on: April 13, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »
Lots of Downing talk on here. Any real substance to it? Wouldnt mind him as an option on the bench if I'm honest. I really don't understand the hate for him on here.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: April 13, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »

Not really - You have to have a plan.

If we brought a few CB, AM and a RB to sit on the bench then I would agree with you but the reserves/youth does have weak areas eg CM, forward, LM, Keeper etc - So if you buy experience squad players in these areas then you not stopping youth development but improving the over all Squad

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #3135 on: April 13, 2011, 04:36:07 pm »
Considering that they've bought him for €14 million, hardly a surprise ...
Shouldnt be paying too much more for someone who clearly isnt very young,and has no resale value.
15m euros max.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3136 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »
i'm going to speculate it's Arsenal
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: April 13, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »
i'm going to speculate it's Arsenal

It's Arsenal - What?

Offline belfast-connection

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3138 on: April 13, 2011, 04:42:44 pm »
Would the likes of Downing and Krancjar be the right age to bridge the gap between the young players emerging on the fringes of the 1st team squad to becoming 1st team regulars a few years down the road?

I'm not advocating buying Downing or Krancjar here but just an honest question. I  don't think the attacking youth/reserve players are ready to step up into the 1st team as of yet (Pacheco excepted). In a year or 2's time, maybe they will.

nobody can predict never mind assume/ bank on/ plan for our young players coming through

we have to have sufficient adaptability to be able to bring them through properly at the appropriate time

part of flanaghan's appearance the other night gives an indication of how than can be done, even if it was forced on us at the time

he was put at right back; our defence sat deep and retreated to the 18 yard line when city had the ball; our midfield were like terriers and did a hell of lot more closing down than the defence actually did; lucas and to a lesser extent kuyt had clearly been told to keep an eye on the lad; all in all he had a comfortable game; did what was required of him when it was required, but if truth be told there wasn't that much required during the 90 minutes

that's the one way to bring in a youngster for a debut

the other way is to  be 3-0 up and bring him on at 60minutes

either way you either (i) need a good core of senior players around him to bring him through it or (ii) need a team good enough to be 3-0 up with some regularity

in other words you're going to have difficulty bringing through youngsters or giving them any real starts if you don't have a good squad of 16 professionals there to make conditions right to try them out in the first place

youngsters can be thrown in at the deep end, and some will swim very well, but the risk of sinking is always there

so to bring in these youngsters we need a sufficiently good 'senior' squad to do it on our terms, otherwise the pressure will be such that a manager will be unwilling to take a chance on them ever - see rafael benitez (c) 2005-2010

to bring in these youngsters you need a good quality and adaptable first 16 i'd say

buying players in their late 20's because 'they're the right age to bridge the gap' allowign your younger players to progress is madness - it assumes that no matter what the youngsters will progress

i think the moneyball approach is fine - it appears to equate to me to buying players 25 and younger - if they're good players that allows a good squad and 4/5 years developmnet of that team and then allows you, as you choose to flog them off when they're 29/30 for decent fees and if the youngsters have progressed to a level where they can replace them well and good

but we can't assume the youngsters will do that and can't have an immediate transfer policy that assumes they will

once you ship out the jovanovics, poulsens etc. I reckon there's a core of 11 maybe 12 players who are (i) regular first team (ii) regularly fit (iii)  trusted by the staff (iv) likely to be here next season - by that reckoning we need another 4/5 players who fit that bill, whether they be 'first eleven' or on the fringes of it won't matter that much but obviously you'd prefer at least 3 of  them coming to be 'first eleven' types and the rest to be solid squad players

get those players into the squad then you have proper base on which youngsters can be given a chance on terms of the club's own choosing
HE SAID ‘BIGGER’ PEOPLE ‘BIGGER’. OK, MOVE ALONG PEOPLE, THERE’S NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Offline scott

• Butterflies taste with their feet. An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes. Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: April 13, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »
It's Arsenal - What?
reina - arsenal

only speculation at the minute, people putting two and two together. reina's future uncertain, arsenal need a keeper, that's it.
+61 ticket exchange

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #3140 on: April 13, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »
reina - arsenal

only speculation at the minute, people putting two and two together. reina's future uncertain, arsenal need a keeper, that's it.

can see it happening. however you'd think Pepe had his head screwed on and can see we're going places and theyre a team of bottlers.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: April 13, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »
Rumours of LFC offering Cole +8mn to Villa for Young...sure Villa would up the cash element of that but otherwise wouldn't be a bad move for all.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:58 pm »
Rumours of LFC offering Cole +8mn to Villa for Young...sure Villa would up the cash element of that but otherwise wouldn't be a bad move for all.
8 million?  That is no where near enough for them to take cole off us surely?  Mabye if we take Cole out of the deal it may stand a chance
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:07 pm »
reina - arsenal

Oh right.

Well I think Pepe is off and yes I think it will more than likely be Arsenal but hopefully he will stay.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: April 13, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »
8 million?  That is no where near enough for them to take cole off us surely?  Mabye if we take Cole out of the deal it may stand a chance

Given he is in the last year of his contract, Young will be worth £12-15. On that basis valuing Cole at £4mn is right...

Offline Aaronb121

• Kopite
« Reply #3145 on: April 13, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

I doubt Cole would move to Villa

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: April 13, 2011, 04:57:59 pm »

Would be a brilliant piece of business.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: April 13, 2011, 04:58:23 pm »
I think 10-11 m with Cole will do the job, if anything, at least it gets Cole out of our club.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: April 13, 2011, 05:02:19 pm »
Given he is in the last year of his contract, Young will be worth £12-15. On that basis valuing Cole at £4mn is right...
4million for a player who we want rid ofand on stupid wages?!?  I think its more likely we would have to pay Villa to take him off our hands and to help with the wages. Who is going to take the risk on Cole who has shown nothing to suggest he is worth it at a free transfer let alone 4m plus his wages?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: April 13, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »

I think that's a very reasonable, fair offer.  Comes to around 12m for Young, and I would imagine Young's wages would be around the same as Cole's are for us now.  I still don't want Young, though.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:10 pm »
I think 10-11 m with Cole will do the job, if anything, at least it gets Cole out of our club.

Glad your not doing our deals.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: April 13, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »
Glad your not doing our deals.
A lot of people think Cole is worthless right now, but anyway I never claimed to be a businessman.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #3152 on: April 13, 2011, 05:08:07 pm »

Would suit both parties to some extent. Cole, in theory, is better in the position that Young has been playing than Young is.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »
Cole actually still has a pretty good reputation around the league and there are managers out there who think he needs a run of games and managed properly to get the best out of him. The opportunity to take a guy who went to the world cup and still not hit 30 for £4mn is going to be attractive to many manager. Villa have Albrighton and Downing who can play wide with Bent and Agbonlahor up top...Cole would compete for one of the wide positions or behind Bent. Not many players you can get for £4mn these days...

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: April 13, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »
A lot of people think Cole is worthless right now, but anyway I never claimed to be a businessman.

If Cole is worthless god knows what Chelsea must think of Torres.

To be honest I think he will be a LFC player next season but if not I think we could get 2-4m for him

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3155 on: April 13, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »
Still not sure if I want Young to be honest.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #3156 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:02 pm »
Still not sure if I want Young to be honest.
Would you rather Young or Cole?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »
Would you rather Young or Cole?

If you have a time machine I'll take Cole...
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Anfield might be million miles away but it's home
« Reply #3158 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:38 pm »
I think Joe Cole would be great setting up goals for Darren Bent, c'mon Villa please take him off us.  :D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3159 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:52 pm »
Brilliant deal if true.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.