Author Topic: Leicester City AKA The Plutocrats  (Read 257121 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Re: Leicester City
« Reply #2400 on: May 25, 2021, 02:32:30 pm »
They clearly should have seen top four out, considering where they were with 10 games to go. That they only managed to get 13 points out of their last 30 is really, really poor. At the same tiime, you can argue they've overachieved as they probably have the seventh best squad in the league and managed to finish fifth. As always, context is everything. 12 months ago if you told us we'd finish third we'd be devastated, but the context of the season means it feels like a huge victory.

So you can easily paint the picture that they've twice failed to make top four on the final day of the season, but equally they can tell each other that they're good enough to mix it at the upper reaches of the table and that unlike, say, West Ham, it's something they can do again next year. Couple that with the FA Cup win and I don't think they'll be too despondent.

Got to agree with this.

If I was a Leicester fan I'd be focusing on the positives. Firstly, they got a trophy and secondly they showed last seasons 5th place finish wasn't a fluke. It's fair to say that they are the 5th best team in this league and better than the likes of Spurs, Arsenal.

They also look like a club that will add to their squad rather then lose players this summer. You never know for sure since Maguire, Chilwell etc.. have been sold the last few summers. If they can add a bit more depth at CB, CM (Soumare) and potentially another CF then I think they'll be there or there about for CL places again in 2021/22. That's a big improvement for Leicester and shows some consistent development despite how the last 2 seasons have ended with some disappointment.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2401 on: May 25, 2021, 02:48:28 pm »
Ins and outs should be interesting.

Fofana, Soyuncu, Castagne, Justin, Ndidi, Tielemans, Barnes, Maddison and Iheanacho are all 25 or younger

But they've got Vardy deteriorating pretty rapidly, Wes Morgan has retired, Schmeichel is 34 and getting worse and Albrighton is 31 and not particularly good (not that he ever was). Those are the four remaining title winners. Jonny Evans is 33.

Squad wise there's the likes of Praet, Perez, Amartey and Mendy not contributing much. Then Ricardo Perreira who hasnt looked great since returning from injury. Also still got Benkovic and Ghezzal on the books.

On the face of it you'd think they probably need 3/4 really good signings if they're to push on. Having the Europa League should be a good opportunity to bed some of those in. Big task for Rodgers.

I know they've been linked with Ings, but seems daft to go and get an injury prone 29 year old to replace a 34 year old energizer bunny. Think they could do worse than raiding Fulham for a couple of players, maybe Johnstone from West Brom.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2402 on: May 25, 2021, 02:54:22 pm »
They're apparently the frontrunners to sign Edouard from Celtic, think he'd be a good signing for them. It looks like they'll sign Soumare from Lille, they're one of the clubs linked with Bertrand on a free transfer. They would need another CB and, unless they're sticking with three at the back, a wide attacking player on top of that IMO, but Edouard, Soumare and Bertrand would improve their squad if they can get those deals done.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2403 on: May 25, 2021, 02:55:49 pm »
I think the FA cup win has "saved" Rodgers some very serious criticism by the football community for failing to finish 3rd/4th in back to back seasons on the final league game day!

That's inexcusable!

why was he saved? Just look at the amount the top 4 spend and compares it to what Leicester budget is. They area pushing above their weight to be honest and rodgers is partly to credited. Just love that Leicester stick to progressive managers and not go the route of big sam, hodgson footballing dinosaurs that scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Love it that they beat chelsea oil money to a shiny trophy as well. Still hold a soft spot for rodgers and hope he continues his football education and become an even better manager next season. He could be the difference by taking points off our rival.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2404 on: May 25, 2021, 03:00:18 pm »
They're apparently the frontrunners to sign Edouard from Celtic, think he'd be a good signing for them. It looks like they'll sign Soumare from Lille, they're one of the clubs linked with Bertrand on a free transfer. They would need another CB and, unless they're sticking with three at the back, a wide attacking player on top of that IMO, but Edouard, Soumare and Bertrand would improve their squad if they can get those deals done.
All decent signings I'd say. Edouard has long been mooted as Rodger's preferred Vardy replacement - as a player he actually has far more strings to his bow and technical quality than Vardy, but won't put up the same numbers if asked to do the same greyhound-out-of-the-traps routine that is Vardy's wheelhouse. Bertrand is still a good footballer, he's actually one we didn't get years ago where Rodgers was probably right in his assessment of his capability.

Soumare as cracking buy at the fee they're talking. Lille moved some serious talent in and out in the last few years and have somehow remained competitive and even won the league title this season.

Kabak is also getting linked, we've had some discussion in the main transfer thread.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2405 on: May 25, 2021, 03:23:41 pm »
If those last few games had been spread out and Leicester had flip flopped in and out of fourth, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.
The PL is practically the ESL for top four purposes.  That we've been out of it so many times this century is the shock.  It was more competitive before the two uber rich owners came in and it's great the likes of Leicester can still compete with them.
Think Rodgers is definitely the right man at the right time for Leicester.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2406 on: May 25, 2021, 06:05:07 pm »
If those last few games had been spread out and Leicester had flip flopped in and out of fourth, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.
The PL is practically the ESL for top four purposes.  That we've been out of it so many times this century is the shock.  It was more competitive before the two uber rich owners came in and it's great the likes of Leicester can still compete with them.
Think Rodgers is definitely the right man at the right time for Leicester.

This all the way. Rearrange our campaign and it would have been a different story. If you swapped our last ten games with that period after Christmas we'd have crashed from being odds-on for the title to fourth place. As it is, the story is a miraculous recovery from 8th place.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2407 on: June 22, 2021, 07:41:44 am »
Agreed personal terms with Patson Daka, looks like they’re preparing for life without Vardy soon. He was a shadow of his former red bull fuelled self last season and Daka could well be a shrewd backfill

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2408 on: June 22, 2021, 08:13:17 am »
Agreed personal terms with Patson Daka, looks like they’re preparing for life without Vardy soon. He was a shadow of his former red bull fuelled self last season and Daka could well be a shrewd backfill

Last two seasons he started very strongly and had nothing left after Christmas. If Ihenacho hadn't had that purple patch they'd have slid down the table sooner.

He's got a few months a season in him.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2409 on: June 22, 2021, 08:26:03 am »
Soumara and Daka look like another two very good signings.  Talented, seemingly good fits for the Premier League and of ages where Leicester can sell them on for a healthy profit in a few year's time if they choose to do so.

Their usual summer model seems to be to make a couple of signings similar to the above and then sell one starter for a lot of money.  As they didn't quite make the CL again I expect they'll be selling either Maddison or Tielemans for more than they've spent on Soumara and Daka combined!

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2410 on: August 4, 2021, 08:23:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUJay9HyTI

On youtube if anyone is bored

Guess not :P

Although looks like Forfana buggered
« Last Edit: August 4, 2021, 09:22:02 pm by [new username under construction] »

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2411 on: August 4, 2021, 09:22:53 pm »
Sickening challenge on Fofana. That looks serious. Why the hell are players going in like this in a friggin friendly?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2412 on: August 4, 2021, 09:27:17 pm »
yeah that’s horrible.  He’s surely out a long while after that awful ‘tackle’ (assault more like).

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2413 on: August 4, 2021, 09:34:27 pm »
Can see them signing Kabak sharpish after that.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2414 on: August 4, 2021, 09:34:54 pm »
Looks like a pretty bad leg break, horrible for the lad :(

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2415 on: August 4, 2021, 09:36:55 pm »
Why are dickheads going in like that in pre season games for fucks sakes?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2416 on: August 4, 2021, 09:59:12 pm »
Looks like a broken leg from the pictures. Nasty one.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2417 on: August 4, 2021, 10:00:02 pm »
Absolutely awful for the kid

The bloke should be banned for a long time but he won’t be
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: August 4, 2021, 10:02:59 pm »
Must be a Spanish thing.

The Seville game at Fenway a couple of summers ago was a shocker of a friendly, they were dirty bastards in that game.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2419 on: August 4, 2021, 10:04:58 pm »
Must be a Spanish thing.

The Seville game at Fenway a couple of summers ago was a shocker of a friendly, they were dirty bastards in that game.
As soon as I heard about Fofana, Gnagnon’s awful challenge on Larouci is the first thing that popped into my mind too.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2420 on: August 4, 2021, 10:05:45 pm »
Just me that thinks it wasn’t that bad a challenge? A bit hard for a friendly but he’s got the ball. Think Fofana’s ankle is just planted awkwardly. 0 intent.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2421 on: August 4, 2021, 10:25:08 pm »
Must be a Spanish thing.

Roberto Soldado did a disgusting hack at some guys Achilles the other day too for Levante against Valencia or somebody. Absolutely wild and completely uncalled for.

That tackle on Fofana was an absolute disgrace. It's about time they brought in bans commensurate with the length of injury inflicted.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2422 on: August 4, 2021, 10:34:35 pm »
One of the best young defenders in the league. Was looking forward to seeing more from him this season, and for Leicester to do well (except against us, of course) so this is a big blow. Injuries can happen any time but what a sickener
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #2423 on: August 4, 2021, 11:08:38 pm »
Shame about the injury. Can see them signing kabak now which would be a great move for him

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2424 on: August 4, 2021, 11:13:00 pm »
Just me that thinks it wasn’t that bad a challenge? A bit hard for a friendly but he’s got the ball. Think Fofana’s ankle is just planted awkwardly. 0 intent.

i dont think it was either. entitled to go for that and took the ball. wasnt late, wasnt over the ball and wasnt even from behind. just an unfortunate outcome for Fofana. do we ban tackling altogether.

also its a week before the season starts. he has to go for that 100%

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2425 on: August 4, 2021, 11:16:07 pm »
i dont think it was either. entitled to go for that and took the ball. wasnt late, wasnt over the ball and wasnt even from behind. just an unfortunate outcome for Fofana. do we ban tackling altogether.

also its a week before the season starts. he has to go for that 100%

Mental note never to play 5 a side with Darragh.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2426 on: August 4, 2021, 11:32:09 pm »
Mental note never to play 5 a side with Darragh.

dont worry, i was the guy that got a rollicking for not making tackles like that    :D

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2427 on: August 5, 2021, 12:08:16 am »

Overstretched for it and anytime you're going in with that much behind you that you're ending over your opponents ankle like that... not injuring them is pure luck.

Also worth mentioning the same player was fouled by Fofana earlier in the game. It's an awful challenge that had a huge chance of injuring Fofana, you just dont need to fly in during pre season like that

That type of challenge is a painful one to be on the receiving end of, had a few and you do just expect something to snap because you have the opponents bodyweight on your leg and you have no way to adjust your legs to avoid injury. You can go in on the ground and still win the ball
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 12:11:29 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2428 on: August 5, 2021, 01:20:28 am »
Overstretched for it and anytime you're going in with that much behind you that you're ending over your opponents ankle like that... not injuring them is pure luck.

Also worth mentioning the same player was fouled by Fofana earlier in the game. It's an awful challenge that had a huge chance of injuring Fofana, you just dont need to fly in during pre season like that

That type of challenge is a painful one to be on the receiving end of, had a few and you do just expect something to snap because you have the opponents bodyweight on your leg and you have no way to adjust your legs to avoid injury. You can go in on the ground and still win the ball

I don’t know… I’ve seen Gerrard make that exact challenge many times. Fofana sticks his leg out at the last second which plants it in an awkward position between Nino’s legs. Studs aren’t off the ground, one footed and he’s got the ball pretty cleanly. I think it’s just unfortunate and is actually a pretty decent challenge if not for the unfortunate position of Fofana’s leg. Admittedly a bit OTT for a friendly but I’ve seen far, far worse (Pickford on VVD prime example).

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2429 on: August 5, 2021, 08:05:26 am »
Confirmed fracture fibula for Fofana

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2430 on: August 5, 2021, 08:22:18 am »

Or any game?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2431 on: August 5, 2021, 08:47:56 am »
Confirmed fracture fibula for Fofana
A real shame for Fofana as he had an excellent first season.  Leg breaks don't seem to have any long-term detriment to player's careers these days but he'd be expected to be out until after Christmas?

It's a tricky one for Leicester as they probably don't have the wage budget to keep four senior central defenders but, for the next few months at least, they're relying on Evans and Soyuncu as their understudies aren't very good (Benkovic and probably Amartey).

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2432 on: August 5, 2021, 08:48:55 am »
I don’t know… I’ve seen Gerrard make that exact challenge many times. Fofana sticks his leg out at the last second which plants it in an awkward position between Nino’s legs. Studs aren’t off the ground, one footed and he’s got the ball pretty cleanly. I think it’s just unfortunate and is actually a pretty decent challenge if not for the unfortunate position of Fofana’s leg. Admittedly a bit OTT for a friendly but I’ve seen far, far worse (Pickford on VVD prime example).

You can in all fairness say i've seen far worse than most challenges in the game though.

You're always at risk when you go in over an ankle. He may have got the ball but that can still mean it's a dangerous challenge which it was IMO, it's unfortunate and it could have been avoided completely because you never need to go in like that in preseason, there's literally no reason to fly in like that in a friendly

And I love Stevie but we've all seen him make some horrendous challenges too :lmao had you said Lahm I would understand but Gerrard isn't a shining example for clean play and sportsmanship with challenges
« Last Edit: August 5, 2021, 08:51:16 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2433 on: August 5, 2021, 08:49:01 am »
Shocking challenge in a real game, let alone a pre-season friendly.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2434 on: August 5, 2021, 09:11:18 am »
A real shame for Fofana as he had an excellent first season.  Leg breaks don't seem to have any long-term detriment to player's careers these days but he'd be expected to be out until after Christmas?

It's a tricky one for Leicester as they probably don't have the wage budget to keep four senior central defenders but, for the next few months at least, they're relying on Evans and Soyuncu as their understudies aren't very good (Benkovic and probably Amartey).

6-8 weeks I'd imagine, your fibula is non-weight bearing so not hugely important. He'll probably have a plate placed in situ to help with loading, be in a boot from the start and probably running after 3 to 4 weeks, back in training when healing has completed at about 6 weeks.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2435 on: August 5, 2021, 09:22:23 am »
6-8 weeks I'd imagine, your fibula is non-weight bearing so not hugely important. He'll probably have a plate placed in situ to help with loading, be in a boot from the start and probably running after 3 to 4 weeks, back in training when healing has completed at about 6 weeks.

I think he's waiting to see if there's further damage beyond that.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2436 on: August 5, 2021, 09:27:11 am »
I think he's waiting to see if there's further damage beyond that.

Fingers crossed that's it

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2437 on: August 5, 2021, 11:53:51 am »
I don't want to dredge up memories of VVD "walking off" but Fofana seemed in decent spirits in his social media update. For example I don't think Luke Shaw would have been so positive after his horror break. So perhaps Fofana got lucky and only broke 1 bone.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2438 on: August 5, 2021, 12:19:50 pm »

Yeah just saw that. It was 3 minutes earlier Fofana trod down on Fer Nino's achilles which had him on the deck for a while, next time he got his chance he went flying at him. Crazy.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2439 on: August 5, 2021, 01:01:55 pm »
Thanks.

That's much shorter than I would have thought.  I know Gomez's injury was ankle rather than leg and required eventual ankle surgery but Gomez's six months compared to the prognosis of 6-8 weeks is surprisingly good news.