Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 144656 times)

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
Re: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice
« Reply #1280 on: March 4, 2024, 01:45:50 pm »
I never think to look on ebay, might give that a shot. Thanks. That's a lot off that camera.  :o

I’ve still got an old Canon 40D, all these bodies are still more than capable, it’s the lens that you put on it that makes all of the difference.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1281 on: March 5, 2024, 06:32:20 am »
I’ve still got an old Canon 40D, all these bodies are still more than capable, it’s the lens that you put on it that makes all of the difference.

Thanks, I'm already saving up to get a good lens later on.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: March 5, 2024, 02:48:59 pm »
Thanks, I'm already saving up to get a good lens later on.

I got mine with a 75mm - 300mm zoom lens included, paid £129 for the lot, so have a good trawl about on Ebay

The one I linked yesterday has a 28mm to 200mm included and there's a couple more with decent looking lenses

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145567461131?itmmeta=01HR7J34B5TJQ4BQH1WFX94B54&hash=item21e47f2f0b:g:1vYAAOSwwYhlrWDY&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OHLjvTGdG1bX%2B7NlJ3tjAu2Rekz5tzc3QfMWhnXf8UmDBLQefRrzzZ9W3FFQ1w0SwQcJSoY82MRQ9porzzO1DADT3qrEwAoMDATmVr39IlBrAja80dXRS3TDfytbu7KMGeAiCjA9KIsEejawpAAuGQqFP3016Se3saiWnGqHhzQoRzDA3RtiIx1A64cO5Kh8b0TGFYB2ejg3bqB02tFPcPSryPyHzAWC99XPIzChcsUS70cyNOVh7XRNoEtA7tG8eRX7fjdIifOOvgjWEwdDxc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9zFjPLBYw

You'll have to factor in a CF memory card too, they're about £35 for a 64gb
« Last Edit: March 5, 2024, 03:05:55 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1283 on: March 5, 2024, 09:05:53 pm »
I got mine with a 75mm - 300mm zoom lens included, paid £129 for the lot, so have a good trawl about on Ebay

The one I linked yesterday has a 28mm to 200mm included and there's a couple more with decent looking lenses

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145567461131?itmmeta=01HR7J34B5TJQ4BQH1WFX94B54&hash=item21e47f2f0b:g:1vYAAOSwwYhlrWDY&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OHLjvTGdG1bX%2B7NlJ3tjAu2Rekz5tzc3QfMWhnXf8UmDBLQefRrzzZ9W3FFQ1w0SwQcJSoY82MRQ9porzzO1DADT3qrEwAoMDATmVr39IlBrAja80dXRS3TDfytbu7KMGeAiCjA9KIsEejawpAAuGQqFP3016Se3saiWnGqHhzQoRzDA3RtiIx1A64cO5Kh8b0TGFYB2ejg3bqB02tFPcPSryPyHzAWC99XPIzChcsUS70cyNOVh7XRNoEtA7tG8eRX7fjdIifOOvgjWEwdDxc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9zFjPLBYw

You'll have to factor in a CF memory card too, they're about £35 for a 64gb

Some good ones, will certainly have a bigger look on ebay. Thanks.  :D

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: March 5, 2024, 11:27:44 pm »
I completely forgotten I had asked this question! 😂 I think budget would be better as I start off yes, any recommendations? Thanks.
Sorry, I meant ‘what is your budget?’ - should’ve worded that better. A cheap second-hand dslr is your best bet. Plenty of bargains there as people switch to mirrorless. Lenses will be where your money has to go. For wildlife you’ll want a long telephoto lens.

Look out for a Nikon d750 on eBay. I used to shoot with it years ago. It’s old tech but still holds up today. Make sure you get one with a low shutter count (no more than 50k). It’s a full frame camera and pros loved it mad it was really capable, not too dear and pretty lightweight.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1286 on: March 7, 2024, 05:32:50 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186315268420?itmmeta=01HR8EYB2QMG9BKN42W03490ER&hash=item2b61416144:g:CLIAAOSw2kVl205d

That’s a decent looking deal.

I think that has sold already. Yes I am going to try ebay I am off tomorrow so will have a proper good look. I didn't really have a budget as I had no idea about any cameras, but having considered what everyone's said, I'm going in with an open mind with the camera because as you said it's the lens where the real cash will be spent. Thanks anyway.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: March 8, 2024, 01:40:52 pm »
My advice to anyone is to set your budget at the absolute top of what you can afford. And there’s so much value in the second hand market. DSLR is the way to go in terms of value secondhand, but a mirrorless setup has a lot of advantages for not that much extra, so don’t rule that out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: March 8, 2024, 03:21:50 pm »
My advice to anyone is to set your budget at the absolute top of what you can afford. And there’s so much value in the second hand market. DSLR is the way to go in terms of value secondhand, but a mirrorless setup has a lot of advantages for not that much extra, so don’t rule that out.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: March 8, 2024, 04:04:45 pm »

I had one of these for years and I still occasionally wish I had it. I think that the only thing you'll really miss vs a more modern camera is high ISO performance. Everything else is totally good enough, especially considering how cheaply you can get one. On US eBay, at least, you can routinely pick one up for under $75.

If you're worried about that 'low' 10 megapixel number, please don't be. In prints, you won't notice a difference between 10mp and higher-res cameras until you go past 16x20", and even then it won't be all that apparent without sticking your nose right up to it. It will limit your cropping ability for, say, bird shots, but for most purposes it's totally fine.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: March 8, 2024, 07:51:40 pm »
24mp is the absolute sweet point in mp, in my opinion. Reasonable file sizes and still allows for cropping. That being said, the IQ on my Sony A7rV is quite incredible. Dynamic Range is still more important to me.

Modern mirrorless have some massive advantages over old DSLRs. The obvious one is having EVFs so you can see your exposure as you shoot. they’re significantly lighter and more compact. But the main advantage for me is that they don’t need lenses to be calibrated- one of the most annoying tasks in the world if you have multiple cameras and lenses.

A secondhand Sony a7ii is worth a look. I also recently picked up a samyang 35-150 f2-2.8 lens for only £800 new. It’s an absolute beast (1.6kg) and covers you in most situations.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2024, 08:07:08 pm by thejbs »