Author Topic: Cesar Menotti Interview  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Cesar Menotti Interview
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:32 am »
The article is taken from
http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=260767

I thank Almogaver for posting it there, not sure if he translated it himself (if so, I extend my thanks for that as well). The original article is from Luis Martin:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/futbol/robaron/gente/elpepudep/20110711elpepudep_3/Tes

"FOOTBALL WAS ROBBED FROM PEOPLE"

Born in Rosario, 1938. "El Flaco" (The Skinny) is one of the greatest oracles in football. Now he talks about the Copa América, the football of his NT, Guardiola's Barcelona and Mourinho's Madrid.

The meeting was in his office, in Buenos Aires downtown. It's cold outside and inside the flat. César Luis Menotti apologize: "This morning the heater broke, I was going to buy a new one, because I'm freezing", he explains. Under the glass of the office furniture, there are pics of his children. On top, a pile of books. At his left, among them, "Mi Ciudad y Mi Gente" by Eladia Blázquez, "La Aznaridad" by Vázquez Moltanbán and "Bajo Estado de Sangre", by Tejada... At his right, a clean ashtray reminds us that, not so long ago, the conversation would have been full of smoke.

How are you taking quitting the cigarettes?

Badly. They told me: "The first month it is very hard, but after that..." Nothing of that, every month I even wish it more. The doctors keep telling us how to live a longer, but less enjoyable life. They just make our lives bitter and the surgery doctors are even worse! Now they have a little machine, pim pim, and you're done. The deep slow medicine is over, there's no blood nor surgery rooms.

How are you recovering from surgery?

It was nothing, I was three days in the hospital. It was a minor thing, it was clear that I had to quit, but I told the doctor: "You're the boss. I know about football, not about lungs. Then, he told me that I should quit, but also that I could carry on with a normal life. A cigarette for the addicts is an unbelievable companion, a friend. I must think that my friend is gone, dead and he's not with us anymore. I miss the cigs in the lonely moments and, when I write, a lot. I appreciate when someone blows the smoke on my face, I look for it in the doors of the restaurants. Yesterday, a gentleman took an Habano at the door of a bar and said: "I'm going" and I told him: "No, come closer!".

Are you quitting football too?

A person gets a reward for the ungreatful fight against the football that betrays the sense of belonging. Just like Huracán once saved the Argentinian football, Spain made me make it up with the passion for the game. Watching them play with the midgets was comforting. Football is the only place where I don't like to be fooled. Football are three things: time, space and tricks. But there are no times, there are no spaces and I don't get fooled anymore; I get so bored that I have the feeling that, this thing that people call football is a different thing. I said that the 99.99% of the coaches live envying the football of Barcelona. Everyone would like to be Guardiola. But the majority don't know how to do it.

He says that, with good players....

No way, this is a story that only an idiot can buy, but not me. We are talking about a man who stands in the line and says: "touch the ball, touch the ball and touch the ball..." and, since the players are good, they follow his orders. Guardiola is much more than just this. Everything is a product of training, by expressing clear ideas to know, how to be understood and to earn supporters for the idea... It is demonstrated that Guardiola is more important than the players. He says the opposite, of course... What should he say?!?! "I'm the best!", he doesn't even believe that. But let's review who was Piqué before Guardiola, who was Pedro, who was Busquets. Not even Iniesta was 100% starter, he was under discussion. Now all of them are phenomenon. The truth is that he also had that bit of luck.

Why?

He found a way started by Rijkaard, that is right. Sometimes, the coach who goes leaves you a mess. Rijkaard, in that sense, left some things done. But, over any other aspect, there is conviction. I always say that a great director can create a good orchestra with good musicians and, with average musicians, he would just achieve an orchestra that sounds fine.

Then, if we talk about football players...

Nothing, it's a lie that Guardiola is Guardiola because of the players he has. It is a lie. He had Eto'o, Henry, Ibra, now Villa... and, in the left back, he had 4 or 5, Mascherano is a central back... The Guardiola thing is very serious and it makes me feel a sick envy. And I don't agree with one thing...

With what?

Cruyff wasn't the first to start it. The first one who tried to play like Guardiola in Barcelona was called César Menotti. And it costed me the life. The crowed booed at us because we passed the ball too much! I don't know if there was anyone else before, but Maradona was my 9, like Messi now, Carrasco and Marcos in the wings, Schuster was like Xavi... And they came to the locker room at half time, with a 0-0 tie and the players in bad mood: "We can not play this way", they told me, because every time Schuster gave Alexanko the ball, people booed at us. With 3-0, yes, "olé olé". It was hard for us. Migueli, when I left, told me that, if any coach after me had told him to make individual marking, he'd quit football, because he was sick of fighting against the forwards. Sometimes they didn't even exist, because he was from Andalucia and played it well, but since he was tall and strong... He was good with the ball in his feet, but people considered him a beast.

Why did you leave Barça?

My mom had died, democracy returned to Argentina and I felt I had to be there... I had lunch with Núñez and he gave me a blank check and asked me which players I wanted to stay. I told him none, because I wanted him to get rid of great players, with an unbelievable prestige, but who also stopped the progress of the youth. It was after winning the Copa del Rey, which was a little cup by then, by the way... Now Madrid win it and it looks they won the Intercontinental Cup!... But what was I talking about?

You were talking about the importance of the coach

Ah, that's it, I wanted to make a deep recognition of the value of the coach. It is like the professor, which influence had the professors? It depends. If they were good, a huge influence, at 99%. If they were bad, shit. I hated maths because, during 3 years, 3 idiot teachers made my life a hell... but I felt in love with chemistry, because the teacher came the first day smoking, he filled every space of the blackboard with formulas and told us: "This is what you should learn for next Tuesday, but it is impossible". And told us: "This is to make you know that life is like chemistry: you must interpret it".

I believe that the figure of the professor is undervalued nowadays...

I don't know in Spain. Here, 50 years ago, the disculturization started. It's worrying. Social exclusion reached the middle-class. There was people who died for an 8 hour-a-day journy and now people work for 14 hours to live and noone complains. Add the fact that a "rich" country produce miserable people in power. And the first thing they've done is to rob people the sense of belonging. Everything is theirs, including football. When the governor makes a street, it looks like he was the one who paid it from his own pocket. We were robbed the music, the parks, the squares and even football. And now they get surprised about people getting tired who ends up camping in the squares.

Do you understand them?

Of course I do, this is shit! I don't want to become a damn skeptic person, but I am a furious pessimist. After all I lived, I feel an hormonal marxist, without further ideological explanation. After 70 years of my life, I tested the disaster that capitalism created in everything that surrounds me. Do you know what a friend of Barcelona told me when he cam to study the fishing of shrims?

No, I don't...

Until Argentina doesn't start its geopolitical revolution, don't believe anyone. In 3000 Kms, we are unable to gather 600,000 people; and in only in the neighborhood of Matanzas, there are 4 million people in a place where only 500,000 could live. There is no way to live in a 14 million people city. It doesn't make any sense. They're just votes to drive the whole country. Misery is profitable for many people. I don't trust them. Don't tell me anymore lies while there still is a homeless kid in the streets. Do you remember Cromañón?

Yes, the burning at the disco Cromañon...

I was the coach of Independiente. It was a scandal, the kids died and they wanted to capture the survivors, it was a sick thing. Those days, while coming back from a training session, I got convinced about asking how many kids there were in the traffic lights. 9 in one, 7 in the next. From the bridge to my house, there were 120, all of them under 15 who were going to die as the ones of the disco, but because of drugs, violence and injustice. Who does respond of these deaths?

What does "football for everyone", the slogan of the government, reminds you of?

Football was robbed from people, it doesn't belong to them anymore. Because of that, the Argentinian NT just have supporters. The one who knows about football doesn't go to the stadium anymore, it doesn't have public, just spectators. What's the place of football in a state? It's business, let it be welcome; if it is a business that swallows the times, bad. And we ended up this way. Football is passional educative, a place of expression and the state should watch as long as they are non lucrative entities. But they looked somewhere else while they became limited companies and historical clubs disappeared, they burned them up. Here we had investment groups who sold for 3M euros while they bought by 300,000, the rest was for them. Sport in this country, at organizational level, is a complete disaster, they even created a secretary of sport and tourism, as if you could be tailor and butcher at the same time! It's crazy. The military people always put the dumbest one to drive sport, always.

Do you still want to train?

Yes, but not here. I see the pitch and I am like the musician who sees a guitar. But not here, not at all. There's sometimes that I am watching the youth of Barça, who I watch on TV, and I believe: "I could form a team of young players and defeat them, but the players would leave in just 6 months; the president would sell half team being 16. It's a shame.

Are you one of those who target Grondona?

No, well, Grondona has his share of fault, of course he has, by definition it's his fault over anyone else's. But he's not the only one. Where are the other projects? Which is the permissiveness of the Argentinian football with Grondona? Or is it fear? He's been there 35 years doing whatever he wanted. There's something even more serious, wonderful instiutions got destroyed, Ferrocarril, Platense. Well, it happens in Spain too... Tenerife in Segunda B, o the desperation of Cadiz. I loved Cadiz, I always liked them... I liked Betis, a lot. El Loco de la Colina (a Spanish TV showman) told me about training Betis. The matter is that, when I came from Atletico Madrid, I signed for River, and one week later, he called me to come to Betis. I wanted to die, I always wanted to train Betis.

In Argentina, isn't there anyone like Guardiola?

No, there's just one Guardiola, but given the case, people wouldn't let him exist. He would get murdered first. Here we just have Mourinhos or people like him, who just think in winning and, when they lose, it's not their fault; we know them since long ago.

What a dude. He has huge contradictions. Not so long ago, a friend went to Spain and assisted to a training session of Mou. He also watched Pep's. He told me that the sessions aren't that different, it's similar what they do, Mou is a good trainer. Conceptually, they're similar. But on the pitch, in the key moment, they have absolutely nothing in common. There are lots of Mourinhos, but there's just one Guardiola... In Barça and the Spanish NT, they've played good football, I am thankful to them. At the end, Luis Aragonés decided to be bullfighter instead of bull. Once I said that about Spain, they had to define themselves, and Luis got angry, but I always liked him...

Del Bosque said he wanted to be like Busquets, the tallest. Who do you want to be?

Good point the Busquets thing, he's one of the biggest talents of the Spanish football ever. A discovery. The first time I saw him I called a friend and told him: "I saw a kind of football player that had disappeared". He's a 'crack'. Personally, the best player I ever saw was Pelé, so I guess I would like to be Pelé. He was able to surprise you when he was going to head a ball: he raised even more and stopped it with his chest. You never knew what he was going to do.

Like Messi...

I believe there were 4 kings and the fifth is to come. Di Stéfano, Pelé, Cruyff and Maradona. We're still waiting for the fifth, who may be Messi or, by now, noone. He's the one who is closer, but you're not going to give him the crown after 5 years. To give Messi the crown, you must see him out of Barcelona and do what Maradona did in Napoles. That team was a band and Maradona made them an orchestra. Messi is a luxury, a wonderful thing, but I'd like to see him there. He doesn't have anything else to show to be the best of the World. But he still has something to do to be the best ever. I don't have any doubts that he can be the 5th king, but not yet. But do you know what's even better?

No...

Messi learns. Before, every time he took the ball, he used to think in winning the game by himself. Not now. He made an evolution. Here you have the hand of the master. What would have happened with these players without Pep... do you imagine Piqué without Pep?

Not really...

Piqué is Beckenbauer, a football player with a huge talent, but I doubt that any other coach had allowed to do what Pep allows him to do. It is not freedom, freedom is not given to anyone on the pitch, you win from knowledge. In your work place, if you give freedom to an idiot, he sinks the newspaper. This is the same; you must tell them what to do because they can't do it. You're free inside the idea and a functional pattern. Piqué doesn't do what he wants. In Barça, there's not absolute freedom, there are rules that allow the players to be very free and very happy, but there are rules.

Are you talking about 4-2-3-1, 3-4-3...

No, that's a telephone number. 4-2-3-1, 3-4-5-1... Once someone asked Di Stéfano how it was possible to play with a 2-3-5 and he answered: "But what do you think... do you think we were dumbasses who defended 5 forwards with 2 defenders?".

You had a meeting with Pep some years ago, when he had the intention to be coach. What did you discover in him?

There was something that made him different: He came here with a clear idea, he didn't came to me like others, looking for inspiration, waiting for me to tell them the way to go as if I were a Messiah... He came with his idea and left with his idea. I was tired of talking with young coaches who come looking for the truth. Pep did not come looking for an answer. He already knew it. I am worried because there's people waiting to shoot him down...

Well, I'd say that he knows it since the very first day.

He has an advantage; his past and noone can change it. In your memory, you take the things from that past that are useful to you. If you don't have any past, the present would be useless for you. Madrid can sign more and more players, at the end, they'll have them all, but the 5-0 in the Camp Nou is forever... I start to think and I can't find a game like that one, from all the ones I ever watched and, of course, participated...
It killed Mourinho for good.

After that game, you said that he [Mourinho] shit himself

In my neighborhood, we call it shit onelself down the legs. He shit himself. I watched the next game of [Barcelona against] Madrid, with Higuain, Adebayor, Benzema and Kaka on the bench and I thought: He shit on himself again. It was the biggest signal of cowardice I ever saw in a big team. And, in Madrid, it is outrageous. The bull did not kill him and the guy ran away and never got near the bill again. But it's very hard what happened to him. Look for someone who left a Clásico so humilliated. I can't remember anyone. It's hard to swallow, eh, very hard.

What's going on in Argentina that makes Messi a bad player?

When I say that the Argentinian football suffered disculturization, I don't talk about people reading Borges before. The culture of football was that, when I passed a bad ball, the other 10 players looked at you. I remember that, once, I was going to kick a side foul, all the team was up in the rival's box, and I had to hang the ball. In the wall, there was just one player and I hit him. During one month, they were with the damn jokes: "If there's a free kick, let Menotti kick it". Look, do you know what happens with Argentina?

Ready to listen.

Football is like life, you don't wake up at 6 AM and start looking for the woman of your life. You find it or not. Every time that they play the ball, they want to win the game. It's terrible, this verticality, frightening. Why do we want a playmaker if we don't have anyone to assist to. In Barcelona, there are assistants who have players to assist. There are more passes than goals. It's all about that, passing the ball. It's not that difficult. I know that Batista has good intentions, but...

They want him to play like Barcelona

Idiots. What do they think? Do they think it's very easy to sing like Serrat? No, it's impossible. Do you know that he called me after I left the hospital? I love him a lot, but the man challenged me!! He told me, "listen old man, why don't you quit fucking around and start doing anything else better in life than smoking?

Did you listen to him?

I don't smoke and I am trying to write a book based on the lots of things I wrote and the interviews I keep. I don't know what will come out from this, maybe I discover the mysteries of football...
==============================================

Info about Menotti
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9sar_Luis_Menotti
"Won 1978 WC for Argentina".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:07:36 am by Xxavi »

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
Re: Menotti: "Mourinho shit himself" (a fantastic interview)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:06 am »
Enjoyed that. Sounds like a bit of a character. Thanks for posting.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:29 am »
Amazing.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Djimothy

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:22:19 am »
Thanks for posting that,great interview.

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:10:29 am »
Nice one Xxavi. What refreshingly honest interview.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline USC19Babel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:06:59 am »
Really great read, thanks for posting this

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:50:40 am »
Really interesting that, his barca team with Schuster and Maradona And Di Stéfano comments about formations  :D - great post.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:45:15 am »
Awesome read.

Offline iRed

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 08:22:24 am »
Really enjoyed that.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42:23 am »
Thanks for the share... good early morning read. :)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:05 am »
Thanks for posting, and huge thanks to the xtratime member who did the translation.

Love reading and hearing Menotti. Don't have to agree with him, but his passion is infectious.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:42:39 am »
Great read, thanks for posting.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 09:48:40 am »
what a change to read an article thats not just bland crap.
i always value considered opinion.
thanks for posting
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:48 am »
All those doubters should read this!!

It says everything about the importance of a manager and his tactics. It´s the most important thing in football by a country mile.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 01:33:29 pm »
In my neighborhood, we call it shit onelself down the legs.

:lmao

Good read, thanks for posting.

royhendo

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 02:16:31 pm »
Ha! I've been working on a translation of this very interview as a wee Spanish practice exercise. Saves me the job that! Great article.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Boss reading, thanks for posting.

To give Messi the crown, you must see him out of Barcelona and do what Maradona did in Napoles. That team was a band and Maradona made them an orchestra. Messi is a luxury, a wonderful thing, but I'd like to see him there. He doesn't have anything else to show to be the best of the World. But he still has something to do to be the best ever.

Anyone else raise an eyebrow at that? ^^^

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 02:18:38 pm »
Excellent stuff!

First thing Xxavi has posted that is worth reading a second time. :P

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »
Great interview. As others have said it's refreshing seeing an interview with such honest opinions, and for once from someone who actually knows the game.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 02:40:26 pm »
That was brilliant.
Justice for the 96

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 02:41:18 pm »
In your work place, if you give freedom to an idiot, he sinks the newspaper. This is the same; you must tell them what to do because they can't do it. You're free inside the idea and a functional pattern. Piqué doesn't do what he wants. In Barça, there's not absolute freedom, there are rules that allow the players to be very free and very happy, but there are rules.

Yes indeed. Great, great read.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline TheDpoLenz without the please like

• Loves to cream himself - but never on the face... cainarbatonmai
  • Legacy Fan
  • sound,,,,,,
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »
Some of posters should take note

"They want him to play like Barcelona

Idiots. What do they think? Do they think it's very easy to sing like Serrat? No, it's impossible. Do you know that he called me after I left the hospital? I love him a lot, but the man challenged me!! He told me, "listen old man, why don't you quit fucking around and start doing anything else better in life than smoking?"

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »
Interesting interview.  No idea who the guy is and he sounds a bit barmy (and perhaps a little bitter) but he makes some interesting points.

Idiots. What do they think? Do they think it's very easy to sing like Serrat? No, it's impossible. Do you know that he called me after I left the hospital? I love him a lot, but the man challenged me!! He told me, "listen old man, why don't you quit fucking around and start doing anything else better in life than smoking?"

So if Barcelona and Pep can do it, why can't anyone else?  I'm sure Pep's ideas aren't completely unique.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline 70400

• Main Stander
  • Lux et Veritas
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »
Me thinks Xxavi is shitting himself at the prospect of facing Mourinho next year.

Good article
Signatures are the biggest waste of bandwith on the internet.  ;)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 03:24:05 pm »

Hmmm. If you're going to pick one piece of information that people on this forum should listen to, I wouldn't have chosen that.

Superb read.

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »
Brilliant read. Thanks for posting :)

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »
Interesting interview.  No idea who the guy is..

You´re joking right?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:03 pm »
Interesting interview.  No idea who the guy
was the argentina coach when jorge videla won them the world cup in 1978

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:22 pm »
Interesting interview.  No idea who the guy is.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Calciotore

• Legacy Fan
  • Ho scelto di scendere in campo
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »
A really good interview and an even better read.

Thanks for posting.

I'm currently reading Jonathan Wilson's 'Inverting The Pyramid-The History Of Football Tactics' and there's an interesting section about Argentina and Menotti,he really did (and obviously still does) have some very interesting ideas and thoughts about football.

Top bloke!

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:32 pm »
thanks for posting. great read 

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »
Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »
Ha! I've been working on a translation of this very interview as a wee Spanish practice exercise. Saves me the job that! Great article.

Frees you up to get started on a new Well Red article: "What Would Cesar Luis Menotti Do?" And no, a sneaky ciggy out back with Socrates doesn't really count...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:47 pm »
Good read thanks.

...Madrid can sign more and more players, at the end, they'll have them all, but the 5-0 in the Camp Nou is forever... I start to think and I can't find a game like that one, from all the ones I ever watched and, of course, participated...
It killed Mourinho for good.

After that game, you said that he [Mourinho] shit himself

In my neighborhood, we call it shit onelself down the legs. He shit himself. I watched the next game of [Barcelona against] Madrid, with Higuain, Adebayor, Benzema and Kaka on the bench and I thought: He shit on himself again. It was the biggest signal of cowardice I ever saw in a big team. And, in Madrid, it is outrageous. The bull did not kill him and the guy ran away and never got near the bill again. But it's very hard what happened to him. Look for someone who left a Clásico so humilliated. I can't remember anyone. It's hard to swallow, eh, very hard.

It was in 94/95 that Cruyff and Del Bosque (I think it was Del Bosque) suffered 5-0 away losses in the space of a year. Barca thrashed them first with a hat-trick from the great Romario and then Madrid evened things up.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 04:41:29 am »
Good read thanks.

It was in 94/95 that Cruyff and Del Bosque (I think it was Del Bosque) suffered 5-0 away losses in the space of a year. Barca thrashed them first with a hat-trick from the great Romario and then Madrid evened things up.

There was also 2-6 not long ago. But the difference between 2-6 and other previous scores is that 5-0 was very comprehensive beating with Madrid creating pretty much nothing. I guess that is what he means.

I don't agree with everything Menotti had to say :D But it was a great read. I don't think Messi has to go to Napoli to prove he is the best. Maradona didn't go to Santos or didn't stay in Argentina to prove he is better than Pele. Or if you think Pele is the best, he didn't go to Europe. So I don't agree with the argument that Messi has to go through the same career path as somebody else to prove he is the best.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:43 am »
Great interview, seems like a really passionate person. I saw his Wikipedia page and seen that hes been at plenty of clubs. Hes the sort of bloke that has to have control over everything in the club to allow him to implement his ideas, but I'm not too sure the owners would allow this sort of freedom to an eccentric coach like Menotti.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
Great read. Love the way he expresses his ideas. Particularly love this description:

"To give Messi the crown, you must see him out of Barcelona and do what Maradona did in Napoles. That team was a band and Maradona made them an orchestra."

Also, Menotti's Argentina of 1978 was my first real experience of World Cup football. Remember him in the dug out endlessly puffing on ciggies. Great memories.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Ramon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 10:20:32 pm »
Brilliant read.  "Mourinho shit himself" that is one of the most appropriate description I've seen of Moureen's reaction  to the ass kicking Barca handed to him and Madrid at the Nou Camp last season.
SOS member #2428.  We'll be coming, we'll be coming down the road! When you hear the noise from the Bill Shankly boys, we'll be coming down the road!!!!

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:57 am »
That was brilliant. Cheers for posting.