Author Topic: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0  (Read 42592 times)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0
« Reply #600 on: February 20, 2019, 12:07:01 pm »
I'm a bit all over the place with this one. I'm usually fine with any clean sheet in a home tie, but then we had a couple of very good chances to score, and a fair few very good opportunities to make other excellent chances. So, is it that good a result? I definitely wouldn't call it bad, I just hope we're not looking back at this as a missed opportunity.

I massively under-rated Bayern pre-match. Hands up, I was thinking bit old, not what they were, won't cope with our pace/attack. Then I saw the line-up and was reminded that they've got excellent players across the park. Hummels, Kimmich and Thiago stood out in particular in my view. The first two were excellent defensively and Thiago is just a sublimely calm footballer with supreme control over a football. Again, in contrast, they didn't really offer much in an attacking sense, obviously by design, but were probably fortunate to get a draw. I thought we caused them problems, sporadically, across the whole pitch - side to side and front to back.

As for us, well I agree that Henderson was man of the match. Was snuffing out issues across the whole pitch and I thought he used the ball well, even though he's still prone to stalling us with some of his immediate return passes to centre halves/full backs. Salah had a night to forget, even though he should probably do better with the header at the back post and clearly had his full-back concerned all night. Bobby and Mane had good first halves, then faded second. Keita was occasionally excellent, occasionally frustrating. I love that he looks for the through balls and has the confidence to play them, but I wonder what he's actually seeing/expecting to happen at times. He was unlucky when trying to get it wide to Robertson during the second half counter, but there were a few other occasions when it seemed he was trying to thread a pass through a space that just didn't exist. Forcing it in other words. Still think there's tons to come from him. Both fullbacks were inconsistent offensively yet generally solid at the back. Fabinho and Matip did well, the latter should probably score in the first half. The entire team, like Klopp referenced, struggled to play a decisive final ball. Still, in those moment when we played well, we created chances, caused them issues and probably did enough to win the game. Like I said at the start, it was a strange game, a lot of 'grey areas' and pretty hard for anyone to put a narrative around.

I can't see the second leg being much different, I imagine they'll play to keep things tight, break on us when they can and look to play in a couple of 5/10 minute patches of pressure. I do think we've got another 20/25% of performance in us though, and if we see peak Liverpool we'll win.

It's on a knife edge. I'll settle with that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:09:23 pm by wige »

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #601 on: February 20, 2019, 12:41:03 pm »
Although it was a half decent result, when are we allowed to start questioning our wastefulness in front of goal? You simply can't afford to miss the target with the type of chance Mane scuffed wide in the first half and expect to progress. It's been happening an awful lot this season, not just missing great chances but also wasting great situations in and around the box.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: February 20, 2019, 12:42:44 pm »
Although it was a half decent result, when are we allowed to start questioning our wastefulness in front of goal? You simply can't afford to miss the target with the type of chance Mane scuffed wide in the first half and expect to progress. It's been happening an awful lot this season, not just missing great chances but also wasting great situations in and around the box.

Same amount of goals scored in the league after the same amount of games played. We were wasteful up front, but there isn't a side in the world that takes every single chance they are presented. It's not possible.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: February 20, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
Completely agree; they can't - think the second leg will look very similar to the first leg

They won't go gung ho, but they'll attack more than they did last night. Imo, if we can play at the same level as we did last night, let alone better, we can score. We were wasteful and tad unlucky with our finishing and final ball.

Robbern,Goretzka and Lewandowski despite his poor game last night will be their main goal-scoring threats.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #604 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47:38 pm »
I said yesterday that any result where we don't concede will see us through so I'll stand by that.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #605 on: February 20, 2019, 12:49:34 pm »
I said yesterday that any result where we don't concede will see us through so I'll stand by that.

This was my thought at both half-time and full-time. Don't concede and we'll be fine. Haven't conceded, we'll be fine. I still stand by that. However, I wasn't thinking that pre-game to be honest with you. 2-1 or 3-1 is still a better scoreline than 0-0.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool v Bayern
« Reply #606 on: February 20, 2019, 12:52:12 pm »
Milner was much better at winning the ball back when he came on though. Normally of course Fabhino would be in that position certainly for the second leg. But Bayern are very good at winning the ball back quickly there was marked improvement in our play when Milner came on and started doing that.

His introduction also freed up Robertson which, in turn forced Bayern to shift things around.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0r
« Reply #607 on: February 20, 2019, 01:13:09 pm »
Sat in the barbers earlier and saw the back page of the Daily Star. Impressive journalism.

Apparently our Champions League hopes are “hanging by a thread”.

Then there is a picture of Naby Keita doing an overhead kick with the caption saying “Sadio Mane’s spectacular effort was off target”. This is the main picture on the back page.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #608 on: February 20, 2019, 01:19:15 pm »
(my snip)

Kimmich impressed me, but suspended so -1 for Munich.
Virgil back, so +1 for us.
+2 for me, as having Fab back in midfield is a massive plus
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #609 on: February 20, 2019, 02:11:33 pm »
Trent shaking the rust off last night is another plus ahead of the return leg, should be fully fit by the time the second leg rolls around. We were so much better when Milner came on but agree with the pointless we were pretty wasteful upfront and seems like the players were always caught in two minds of what to do and lacked the calmness and ended up either losing the ball, playing the wrong pass or having a potshot.

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: February 20, 2019, 02:12:26 pm »
These two extended breaks have messed with our rhythm a little. Yesterday was very similar to the Leicester and West Ham games. Hopefully it will just be the one game this time and we’ll be sharper on Sunday.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #611 on: February 20, 2019, 02:23:07 pm »
A few years ago we were accused of trying to pass the ball into the net.

Yesterday, I counted at least 8 times we had the ball with 4 in the box and got off no shot.

Shoot. The. Fucking. Ball.
Kill the humourless

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #612 on: February 20, 2019, 02:35:34 pm »
A few years ago we were accused of trying to pass the ball into the net.

Yesterday, I counted at least 8 times we had the ball with 4 in the box and got off no shot.

Shoot. The. Fucking. Ball.

Actually screamed that at the TV myself when Salah ran into Wijnaldum and both decided not shoot.  ;D
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: February 20, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »
Same amount of goals scored in the league after the same amount of games played. We were wasteful up front, but there isn't a side in the world that takes every single chance they are presented. It's not possible.

But we don't want to be the team who was third and a mile off the lead this time last year, we want to be the team from the second half of the season that kicked on to another level entirely.

I'm extremely positive about what we're doing but I really do think our hopes of silverware depend on whether we can get that attacking play going again. I think we've all been waiting for it to happen, while also being delighted with the way we managed to grind out results with this new found solidity in defence. We are an extremely good team at the moment but if we can couple the defensive side with getting Salah, Mane and Firmino in the form they were last season then we have an incredible chance of lifting at least one of these trophies at the end of the season. We were just that fraction slower last night than we were in those big games last year and, along with the stellar defensive efforts of Munich, is the reason we don't have a lead to go and protect in the second leg.

Not trying to be critical here because playing this way has got us in a title challenge and out of a really tough group. But there is another level in us somewhere that we can reach. The sooner we do, the more glorious this season will be for us.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: February 20, 2019, 02:41:48 pm »
But we don't want to be the team who was third and a mile off the lead this time last year, we want to be the team from the second half of the season that kicked on to another level entirely.

I'm extremely positive about what we're doing but I really do think our hopes of silverware depend on whether we can get that attacking play going again. I think we've all been waiting for it to happen, while also being delighted with the way we managed to grind out results with this new found solidity in defence. We are an extremely good team at the moment but if we can couple the defensive side with getting Salah, Mane and Firmino in the form they were last season then we have an incredible chance of lifting at least one of these trophies at the end of the season. We were just that fraction slower last night than we were in those big games last year and, along with the stellar defensive efforts of Munich, is the reason we don't have a lead to go and protect in the second leg.

Not trying to be critical here because playing this way has got us in a title challenge and out of a really tough group. But there is another level in us somewhere that we can reach. The sooner we do, the more glorious this season will be for us.

We were behind at this point of last year because of our first half of the season we dropped too many points. Not because we were under performing in the second part of the season [In the end I'm certain we would have accumulated more points had we had more than 3 fit central midfielders in the last month and a half of the season whilst having a run to the finals in Europe]

If we do what we did last year in the 2nd half of the season [we're already in that phase] we will be better than ok.

If go on and have another 3,4 games like tonight where we are't finishing our chances then you'd have a point. But we're not at that stage.

What will give us the best chance of silverware is what we've done all year, which is be balanced on both ends of the pitch.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #615 on: February 20, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
The BBC also said there were WMD’s in Iraq

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: February 20, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »
We still need to be able to create things through a parked bus and Bayern's bus is of a higher quality than most teams in the League. Our abililty to create something was also our weakness last season, but once the first goes in, we will have no problems holding on to the lead this season. Mane is the best person to score in these situations, but the crazy fellow is both exasperating and sublime. Sometimes even in the same game.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: February 20, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »
We still need to be able to create things through a parked bus and Bayern's bus is of a higher quality than most teams in the League. Our abililty to create something was also our weakness last season, but once the first goes in, we will have no problems holding on to the lead this season. Mane is the best person to score in these situations, but the crazy fellow is both exasperating and sublime. Sometimes even in the same game.

I think we have significantly improved this year when it comes to playing sides like this, otherwise we wouldn't have accumulated the points we've had. We've specifically prepared for this in the summer and changed our approach to games. Now that's to say that we'll be successful in every match [most teams aren't] but for all of their defensive quality [and I think its being exaggerated] we were close imo to scoring at least once last night. Their defending wasn't the reason we were making poor decisions when it came to the final ball, and the chance that Mane had [at least one of them] is a goal in most matches.

So on that alone, I think we did enough to score in most cases, but the finishing and the luck wasn't there. That's not to say that there wasn't creativity.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #618 on: February 20, 2019, 03:14:33 pm »
We were behind at this point of last year because of our first half of the season we dropped too many points. Not because we were under performing in the second part of the season [In the end I'm certain we would have accumulated more points had we had more than 3 fit central midfielders in the last month and a half of the season whilst having a run to the finals in Europe]

If we do what we did last year in the 2nd half of the season [we're already in that phase] we will be better than ok.

If go on and have another 3,4 games like tonight where we are't finishing our chances then you'd have a point. But we're not at that stage.

What will give us the best chance of silverware is what we've done all year, which is be balanced on both ends of the pitch.

Few games comes to mind when we didn't take our chances but that's fine - you can't win them all. I think his point is that it would be nice if we could overcome this wastefulness with clinical finishing which we are capable of and by doing so elevate our performances to make sure we are not sitting here come May and ruing our golden opportunity to finally win something. I'd expect from our players, especially attackers to be more calm and relaxed because it seems like they are trying to do everything at once and walk it to the goal most of the times when in fact a simple shot would actually be more efficient. We currently do not have anyone like this in our squad, at least I don't think we do. I only wish our players would be more clever about it but we're on the right path there's no denying that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:24:03 pm by robertobaggio37 »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: February 20, 2019, 03:20:08 pm »
Few games comes in mind when we didn't take our chances and that

It happens to most sides, you won't find a side that is absolutely clinical in every single match. But if we go on to have 3 or 4 consecutive matches where we can't get a result because of our finishing, I'd be worried. That isn't the case at the moment.

The points we've dropped in recent months ultimately imo have come down to poor defending on set pieces. In both games we've taken the lead and failed to capitalize on that, which was something we did well for most of the season

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #620 on: February 20, 2019, 03:35:43 pm »
Just saw that Kovac admitted to their time wasting tactics and that Martinez never actually gets cramp  ::)  Surprised he felt the need to go public about it! Referee was a right mug to fall for it so badly.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: CL 1st leg: L’pool 0 v Bayern 0r
« Reply #621 on: February 20, 2019, 03:55:55 pm »
Sat in the barbers earlier and saw the back page of the Daily Star. Impressive journalism.

Apparently our Champions League hopes are “hanging by a thread”.

Then there is a picture of Naby Keita doing an overhead kick with the caption saying “Sadio Mane’s spectacular effort was off target”. This is the main picture on the back page.

Maddock in The Mirror also spoke about Alisson's ''erratic distribution.''  :o  Bloody hell, I'd say his distribution is one of the best in the game.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #622 on: February 20, 2019, 03:58:56 pm »
Disappointing result in the end, felt we should've been taking at least a goal advantage to theirs. Overall we did well but our failures were all up front, we just couldn't get that final ball/pass right and most of our shots were poor. Mane was bright but should've been scoring at least one.

Not sure whether that was the rustiness from not playing or not, but at least the traits of our game was there so hopefully we get more clinical in the coming matches.

The main thing is that we are still very much in the tie - 1 away goal and we take control.

Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: February 20, 2019, 04:01:07 pm »
Just saw that Kovac admitted to their time wasting tactics and that Martinez never actually gets cramp  ::)  Surprised he felt the need to go public about it! Referee was a right mug to fall for it so badly.

This kind of shit really annoys me. I can take it when they’re a goal up with 5 minutes left but they were doing it in the first half!

What frustrates me the most, and I touched on this after West Ham, is it just makes the game less enjoyable to watch as it feels like half the time the hall is out of play and you’re waiting for someone to take a free kick. Does my fucking head in.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: February 20, 2019, 04:03:02 pm »
These two extended breaks have messed with our rhythm a little. Yesterday was very similar to the Leicester and West Ham games. Hopefully it will just be the one game this time and we’ll be sharper on Sunday.

I'm clearly no expert, but I think too few games can be as harmful as too many. Momentum and rhythm count for a lot in my mind, and it's difficult to maintain those with such long breaks. Of course, they are a double edged sword in that they give injured/tired players extra recovery time, but it certainly does hamper momentum and rhythm. Although I only did it for leisure, when I used to play football and when I used to do athletics I always found it took time to get back into the groove and feel right again after a bit of a lay off.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: February 20, 2019, 04:04:15 pm »
disagree that Bayern won't go for it at home - if we score first they'll need 2 plus they're at home in the CL, can't see how they won't come out and play

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: February 20, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »
This kind of shit really annoys me. I can take it when they’re a goal up with 5 minutes left but they were doing it in the first half!

What frustrates me the most, and I touched on this after West Ham, is it just makes the game less enjoyable to watch as it feels like half the time the hall is out of play and you’re waiting for someone to take a free kick. Does my fucking head in.

It was a big part of the reason the 2nd half was rather rubbish last night. I guess you can credit Bayern for getting away with it, but it affected the game as a spectacle for sure. From the first goal kick Neuer had to take in the 2nd half, he was taking an age, and bringing his defenders in and pushing them put over and over. 

It's the refereeing that irriates me in this situation. Neuer should have been booked the 2nd or 3rd time he did what he was doing, which would probably have seen him booked around the 55th min mark. Then you get a grip on the situation, as he can't carry on doing it. But this ref, like so many, are just either clueless to what is going on around him - which begs the question how he's a ref at such a level. Or he just didn't care. Or he didn't have the guts to book such a high profile player as Neuer.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: February 20, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »
We really should have scored at least one. Finishing was all over the shop.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: February 20, 2019, 04:09:42 pm »
disagree that Bayern won't go for it at home - if we score first they'll need 2 plus they're at home in the CL, can't see how they won't come out and play

Bit of a two edged sword really, they won't want to concede, so they won't be going all out. And they won't defend as they often do in the league, with a higher line.

But they will of course have to go for it in a sense, no way can they not at home.  But it doesn't need to be an all out attack.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: February 20, 2019, 04:09:45 pm »
It was a big part of the reason the 2nd half was rather rubbish last night. I guess you can credit Bayern for getting away with it, but it affected the game as a spectacle for sure. From the first goal kick Neuer had to take in the 2nd half, he was taking an age, and bringing his defenders in and pushing them put over and over. 

It's the refereeing that irriates me in this situation. Neuer should have been booked the 2nd or 3rd time he did what he was doing, which would probably have seen him booked around the 55th min mark. Then you get a grip on the situation, as he can't carry on doing it. But this ref, like so many, are just either clueless to what is going on around him - which begs the question how he's a ref at such a level. Or he just didn't care. Or he didn't have the guts to book such a high profile player as Neuer.

There was one example where James walked almost the full length of the pitch to take a free kick. It’s rare that I’ll take this kind of a view point, but I’d actually argue that this kind of stuff affects the ‘product’ of the game as it’s getting to NFL levels of the ball being out of play half the fucking time. Against West Ham they were taking ages to take every single free kick and it drives you mental.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: February 20, 2019, 04:11:21 pm »

I think the best players, by which I of course mean the best at being snidey, manage to make it look like everything is completely normal. It's skirting the edge of a booking all the time but never making it that obvious that you get one. Milner, for us, is a master of this sort of thing but he's one of our only players that really knows how to do it. I thought the ref was generally OK last night.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: February 20, 2019, 04:20:45 pm »
Don't really understand why there has been so much praise for Bayern last night. Fair enough they didn't even try to score (and never looked like they would), but if we had our shooting boots on the tie would be effectively over, we created a few really good chances. I feel like if it was a thrilling 3-3 draw the media would be saying great result, even though a tame 0-0 is actually much more beneficial. Really confident we can score over there and get over the line.
I think it's simply because they did their homework extremely well, came up with a plan that is not their usual game, stuck to it brilliantly and went home with the draw they came for. Everything else is simply ifs, buts and maybes. They have seen what happens to good teams who go toe-to-toe with us in Europe at Anfield. They were determined it would not happen to them and if they got out of town with a 0-0 they'd feel confident that they can beat us over there. It's no different to us doing a job on a big club away, getting a 0-0 then getting them back to Anfield to finish them off. We always fancy it in that situation although mindful of conceding the away goal. Bayern surely fancy it too.

Whether their plan pans out over the two legs remains to be seen. I think we were far from our best last night and, as you said, we didn't have our shooting boots on, so I expect we have a lot more to trouble them with in the second leg. Going by the comments of their manager and players since last night, Bayern played out of their skins to hold it at 0-0, and that was against an extremely good, but under par Liverpool on the night. Bayern were extremely good at their job last night, but if we do our job right over there we should be ok.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:23:42 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: February 20, 2019, 04:23:50 pm »
I think the best players, by which I of course mean the best at being snidey, manage to make it look like everything is completely normal. It's skirting the edge of a booking all the time but never making it that obvious that you get one. Milner, for us, is a master of this sort of thing but he's one of our only players that really knows how to do it. I thought the ref was generally OK last night.

he was ok in some respects. But to let a team time waste so much for a full half, means that he was pretty poor ultimately.  Adding only 4 minutes sort of suggests the officials where unaware on what was going on which is not a good look for match officials.

Yes, some players manage to make it look quite normal, but the fact thousands of fans there and so many watching on tv cottoned on within minutes of the 2nd half starting what was going on, means they aren't that great at it. 

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: February 20, 2019, 04:32:01 pm »

I think it's one of those annoying things that I also wish we would learn how to do at times. All the really big and successful sides use this kind of 'game management' from time to time and it's easy to see why. It really does break up momentum. Teams like ours like to build up a head of steam. The crowd also tend to be reactive rather than proactive in general, so they also build up a head of steam like the team. Disrupt that and it becomes disjointed and the crowd quieten down. Teams do it because it works and also because they get away with it all the time. Sometimes I also wish we were devious bastards too and used this kind of thing to our advantage because you can be sure in big stakes games against clubs used to winning, they'll do it to us. Sometimes I think we are too nice for our own good.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:18 pm »
he was ok in some respects. But to let a team time waste so much for a full half, means that he was pretty poor ultimately.  Adding only 4 minutes sort of suggests the officials where unaware on what was going on which is not a good look for match officials.

Yes, some players manage to make it look quite normal, but the fact thousands of fans there and so many watching on tv cottoned on within minutes of the 2nd half starting what was going on, means they aren't that great at it.

But there's a massive difference between a biased fan watching something at home and 'seeing' that the flow of the game is going away from them for whatever reason, and a referee in the midst of this madness interpreting the rules of the game. Yes, they absolutely did waste time. Yes, 4 minutes didn't seem like enough to add on to me. But I think they operated just about on the right side of doing all that to not attract too much of the refs attention - that's their big game experience showing. I couldn't name a specific incident that clearly showed up for me as a booking, just lots of little moments that added up.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #635 on: February 20, 2019, 04:38:14 pm »
I think it's one of those annoying things that I also wish we would learn how to do at times. All the really big and successful sides use this kind of 'game management' from time to time and it's easy to see why. It really does break up momentum. Teams like ours like to build up a head of steam. The crowd also tend to be reactive rather than proactive in general, so they also build up a head of steam like the team. Disrupt that and it becomes disjointed and the crowd quieten down. Teams do it because it works and also because they get away with it all the time. Sometimes I also wish we were devious bastards too and used this kind of thing to our advantage because you can be sure in big stakes games against clubs used to winning, they'll do it to us. Sometimes I think we are too nice for our own good.

Something we did often under Rafa, Madrid Away UCL 08/09 comes to mind. Thrashed them 4-0 in the return leg. Instead of the crazy randomness we witnessed at Chelsea Away, I would prefer Klopp do the Bayern approach at times and manage the game - good for the health of our hearts in general.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:35 pm »
Sometimes I also wish we were devious bastards too and used this kind of thing to our advantage because you can be sure in big stakes games against clubs used to winning, they'll do it to us. Sometimes I think we are too nice for our own good.

For what it's worth, and I don't know what this means for the rest of the season or the future, but I think we may have learned more about big game european football last night than we did in any of the knockout stages last year.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:54 pm »

Bayern will definitely have the advantage in the return leg with home support and probably 60% plus possession. Thing is we should be a lot more solid with Virgil returning and Fabinho slotting back into CM and can see us going with Henderson & Gini holding the fort tight while breaking like whippets when we get a chance. Could suit our game to a tee as long as the lads up front are on the ball and get the support they need from the full backs and Gini & Co.

It was a slightly frustrating night as dont know how we did not score but there was a few moments too last night where they could have caught us out. There was one cross where the ball bounced in the 6 yard box with no defender in sight and think they had one or two lads there ready to pounce. Christ Matip clearance backwards could have gone anywhere too haaa 0-0 is alright when you think about it.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: February 20, 2019, 04:44:58 pm »
For what it's worth, and I don't know what this means for the rest of the season or the future, but I think we may have learned more about big game european football last night than we did in any of the knockout stages last year.
I think you could well be right. As a team, we are still learning. Last nights experience will be noted and learned from.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: February 20, 2019, 04:49:27 pm »
Something we did often under Rafa, Madrid Away UCL 08/09 comes to mind. Thrashed them 4-0 in the return leg. Instead of the crazy randomness we witnessed at Chelsea Away, I would prefer Klopp do the Bayern approach at times and manage the game - good for the health of our hearts in general.

Yep. I think we are still feeling our way, but we will have learned from last night. We need to be a bit more clever. All winners develop that trait and use it to their advantage. As much as we'd love to win pretty and in beautiful flowing style, sometimes you just simply have to do what it takes.