Author Topic: CL SF: L'pl 5 v Roma 2 35' 45' Mo, 55' Mane, 61' 68' Bobby 81 Dzeko 84' Perrotti  (Read 111613 times)

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That could be the most meaningless and irrelevant video I've ever seen.

Could not be less arsed about the reaction in Cairo to a player scoring for Liverpool in a European Cup semi final.

Just as I wouldn't give a toss about people in Leeds celebrating a Milner assist.

Ha ha is right
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
has any team ever scored 5 in a CL semi final before?
Ajax beat Bayern 5-2 in the 90s I think
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I was annoyed with him early on after he blew for a few possibly more aggressive shoulder to shoulder challenges from Milner, but overall I think he's been good in the two games he's refereed that we've been a part of. The penalty? Well, I guess it's debatable. But aren't they all?

Nowadays it really does seem as if each referee has his own interpretation of what a handball constitutes, but in this case even though Milner really couldn't have reacted in time to get his arm out of the way, it was outstretched and it hit him on the arm. I'm not blaming him in any way because it's just one of those things that can happen in football. He spots the Roma player on the edge of the area about to shoot, tries to run and close him down, and it hits him on the arm. It wasn't cynical, foolish, or intentional, but I just can see why it was given. Most refs would give it I think, some won't.

think the ref was brilliant to be honest. let the game flow and doesn't have the "How do i make this game about ME" mentality of the english refs. He was pretty good in the first leg in the match between city and us as well. Does make it easier when both teams are actually trying to play football.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Could not be less arsed about the reaction in Cairo to a player scoring for Liverpool in a European Cup semi final.

Just as I wouldn't give a toss about people in Leeds celebrating a Milner assist.

You're not gonna like the internet....

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How worrying is the romans away goal actually ?

They still need to win at least 3-0.

And we will score in Rome.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Best bit for me last night, for over an hour, the ball was ours. We knew that, Roma knew that, even the ball knew it. We intercepted every pass and took it of every Roma player who dared to hold on to it. They only got it back after we were 5-0 up and didn't know what to do with it anymore.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
They still need to win at least 3-0.

And we will score in Rome.
Roma are yet to concede at home in the Champions League.....just saying

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
Still pissed, head still buzzing, still can't take it all in. That's all.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
It's less rest and more injuries that are the problem now - we're at bare bones levels. If you go full strength you are gambling there won't be anymore to the front 6.
It's not an easy call

Bigger picture the final is the worry. Hard to win against a top grade team without the ability to make effective subs.
Is correct. The objective is not the final # it's the cup.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What have the Romans ever done for us?

Played three at the back and held a high line.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
Cannot believe this. Still so surreal, that we have one foot in the CL final. If someone said we'd be 3rd in the league and approaching a CL final at the start of this season I'd have clocked them for taking the piss.

What a night. Weird thing is, I don't believe these nights are going away. Teams in Europe don't know how to deal.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan

That is because we haven't been there yet.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Right, so the nerves have calmed and a bit of rationalism has kicked in. Fantastic performance, one of our greatest European games ever. Roma started off strong partly because we were holding back and assessing their formation and style of play. Klopp said as much in his post match interview. Credit to them for starting well, but it wasn't all their doing. Thought those 15 minutes between 30 and 45 were scintillating. Pace, power, movement.

Seen a few United fans calling us hypocrites because we were playing long balls, but the difference is these long balls were purposeful and were stretching Roma all over the shop. Credit to the front three because their movement enabled it. There are specific runs though if you look at it closely, like Mane running in from the left wing between the center backs, Salah running on the shoulder of the left center back and Firmino dropping deeper to win lobbed balls from Karius. Specific, training ground routines really. The second goal was the perfect example of this. Great long ball played into Salah's feet, whose first touch into Firmino is incredible. A bit of luck from Firmino but that's what you get when you end up with the second ball 2 v 2 in dangerous situations.

Thought the Dzeko goal was part Lovren's fault, part lack of pressure on the ball. Give a defender/midfielder enough time to pick a pass out and he will. Get closer, blind his passing line and it's harder. Sure, Lovren could have done a lot better but that straight pinged ball from the center circle is extremely hard to defend against once it is played. Reminded me of Dwight Gayle's goal to make it 3-3 on that fateful night in 2014 where Skrtel got sucked in because he didn't know if he had to track the man or the ball.

A top class performance that I thoroughly enjoyed. Plenty of little snapshots that will stay with me forever. Like Salah landing on his arse and the defender (Jesus?) still kicking it out to safety with all the time in the world to control and make a pass. The sheer terror there though, it was incredible viewing. Only Suarez in my living memory of watching Liverpool has caused such fright. Think we'll get through this tie with a professional away performance, and enter the final unbeaten throughout the completion. Let's go grab big ears #6!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

People keep mentioning this, but have you seen how many we’ve been scoring? Also, Porto were unbeaten at home for a while before we thrashed them.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
Porto hadn't lost at home, Hoffenheim hadn't lost at home and Man City hadn't lost in the league either.

We destroyed their defence tonight - and it'll be the same defence and our same attack next week.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
We’re the top goal scorers in the competition
We have 3 players in the top 4 for goals scored
We have the top 2 players for assists 

We never do it easy , why were the best games to watch
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:47:44 am by rocco »

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
What a game.
A few years past, we'd be watching these rounds of the Champions league and pondering if we would ever manage to get our shit together and get a manager and squad that can reach these sorts of rounds. Fast forward a few years, and we've just won 5-2 in the first leg and probably a tad bit disappointed we didn't win by a larger margin.

Amazing. Surreal. And we're only going to get better.

As for the whole "Roma need to score 3 goals to knock us out" line that has been repeated so much by the media and on this thread over the last 9 hours, are we really concerned we didn't win by more than 3 goals?

In other words, we can get to the Finals if we don't lose by more than 2 goals. We haven't lost all season in Europe. And when we score, which we will because we're the most deadly scoring team in European history as per the stats, they'll have to score 4 or more goals than we do. Nothing is ever a done deal, but it's as much of a done deal as it can get. The cheque has already been signed, it's just a matter of taking it to the bank to cash it in.

I'm sure many will hold off celebrations until after next week, but I've already started on mine.

What an unbelieveable run in Europe. What a manager, what a team, and that Salah is something else.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Who took the jam out of your Doughnut

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We will score in Rome. We put 5 past them last night, and could have more.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
Cannot believe this. Still so surreal, that we have one foot in the CL final. If someone said we'd be 3rd in the league and approaching a CL final at the start of this season I'd have clocked them for taking the piss.

And yet if we lose our next two games we could be 4th and out of the CL ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:50:59 am by Fruity »
alf a pound of braeburns!

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Not sure how Roma play next week.

Klopp wont park the bus and this Roma side wont press. Ok they flooded midfield but city tried that and it doesnt work so they either play it safe and take their opportunities and are clinical but I dont see that with this Roma side.

They wont do a city and play every attacker. They dont have those players and they've never played that way all season.

Have a feeling it could be a damp squib as Roma wont take the risk.

More worried about injuries and yellow cards.
Do yellow cards carry to the final?
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
What's up with Emre Can and when is he back?
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

If someone only gets booked in one leg it won’t suspend them for the final.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...

I think so. Can't see how jordan henderson is going to go through a whole game which could be pretty intense and not get one. Really at 5-0 up he should not have got one yesterday.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What's up with Emre Can and when is he back?

He’s recovering from a back injury. He might be back before the end of the season.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
I think so. Can't see how jordan henderson is going to go through a whole game which could be pretty intense and not get one. Really at 5-0 up he should not have got one yesterday.
Yeah...going to be hard to not get another in his role.

Offline cheesemason

• Kopite
If someone only gets booked in one leg it won’t suspend them for the final.

Don't you need three yellows for a ban, so its not possible to do that for the final?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

He’s managed it before, I’m sure he can do it again.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
I watched their channel Roma channel in the run up to the game,  and one of their pundits Rizzitelli  (ex player ) said just before kickoff that it"s all  very well going on about Salah scoring when he likes but Italian defences wouldn't give him the same space . I reckon he"ll be thinking again after saying that.
In the same way, if anyone says they haven't conceded at home. Well, we  haven't been there yet.
More worrying is the injury situation  and the yellow4cards.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
Natural to be nervous after conceding two late but some perspective helps. We had 11 clear cut chances to score (not just shots on target) to Roma’s 4. We dominated and until Salah went off and Lovren’s lack of concentration they had no answer.

Confident we’ll do the job provided we get through the weekend unscathed

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
When teams are forced to attack us and leave space, what tends to happen to them?

We're all aware of Roma's home form this season but they will have the same problems to deal with as last night. They need to be aggressive and that will leave space; our front three WILL find a goal at some point.

Also, last night's 5-2 was VERY different to the 4-1 against Barcelona; that game was a lot closer than the score suggests. They were twatted last night and even De Rossi pointed out that our speed caused them problems. I don't see how it will be any different in the second leg. We obviously won't get 5 but I can see us getting 2; they will likely get one or two as well but I feel as if last night was enough and we have given ourselves about a 90% chance of progression. How many of us would have taken that at 7:45pm last night?  :)

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
So only a red bans you from teh final then. Good job
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Need a red to miss final

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He’s managed it before, I’m sure he can do it again.

As noted above, it doesn't matter. You will only miss the final now through being sent off in the second leg

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
When teams are forced to attack us and leave space, what tends to happen to them?

They Gets WHACKed

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Was it real or just a fantasy. What a game. What a performance.
bollocks

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
What a game.
A few years past, we'd be watching these rounds of the Champions league and pondering if we would ever manage to get our shit together and get a manager and squad that can reach these sorts of rounds. Fast forward a few years, and we've just won 5-2 in the first leg and probably a tad bit disappointed we didn't win by a larger margin.

Amazing. Surreal. And we're only going to get better.

As for the whole "Roma need to score 3 goals to knock us out" line that has been repeated so much by the media and on this thread over the last 9 hours, are we really concerned we didn't win by more than 3 goals?

In other words, we can get to the Finals if we don't lose by more than 2 goals. We haven't lost all season in Europe. And when we score, which we will because we're the most deadly scoring team in European history as per the stats, they'll have to score 4 or more goals than we do. Nothing is ever a done deal, but it's as much of a done deal as it can get. The cheque has already been signed, it's just a matter of taking it to the bank to cash it in.

I'm sure many will hold off celebrations until after next week, but I've already started on mine.

What an unbelieveable run in Europe. What a manager, what a team, and that Salah is something else.

Well said Doc
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019