Author Topic: Do you tip?  (Read 6155 times)

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Do you tip?
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 01:09:21 pm »
Apart from that I don't tip anyone else. I know people who give the bin men, postman, milk man, paper delivery boys tips at Xmas. That seems a bit excessive to me but each to their own.

If it's just an Xmas tip why do you think it's excessive? Seems a really nice gesture to me.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 01:11:14 pm »
I usually tip most service industry types. Pizza delivery (never get it), haircut, maid service, taxi, whatever. I usually leave 15-20% on a bill depending on service.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 01:17:20 pm »
The takeaways we order from have free delivery, so I tip the drivers, always tip bar staff and in restaurants (unless the service is crap). Restaurants its usually about 15%.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 01:18:03 pm »
If it's just an Xmas tip why do you think it's excessive? Seems a really nice gesture to me.

Agree it's a nice gesture but where do you stop though?

Why not tip the person who serves you at the local shop all year round? What about the fella who delivers all my amazon orders?

On a separate note, do people tip workmen who do work in their home? For example, a carpet fitter, a plumber, your builder etc.. I'm always unsure whether it's appropriate or not. Tipped a gardener the other day but he did an absolutely stellar job and did it quicker than he said.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:33 pm »
The Confessions of a Binman

"I once had a sit down protest against the goalpost at half time".

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
I tip my bus driver, my sandwich artist and the Personal Trainers who work at the gym.

They always seem so confused.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 01:23:26 pm »
I tip my bus driver, my sandwich artist and the Personal Trainers who work at the gym.

They always seem so confused.

Sandwich artist huh... well laaaaa deeeee daaaaa

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 01:32:43 pm »
Sandwich artist huh... well laaaaa deeeee daaaaa

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 03:25:15 pm »
Pizza delivery guy,
restaurants,
petrol jockey (no self-service petrol in SA),
bin chaps and postman at Xmas,

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »
Sandwich Artist
A person who is masterful at arranging threesomes or other group sex scenarios.
Hugh Hefner is the consummate sandwich artist.

Fair tip I'd say :)

Offline fiveways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:45 pm »
I always give the Domino's guy a £1 (poor sod is on peanuts and has to use his own car etc) - and my binmen always get a fiver and a 4-pack of Stella from me - has defo saved me doing numerous trips to the tip (or the recycling centre as its known these days) over the years as I de-clutter ;-)

moved recently and the new garden was full of pre-cast gnomes- horrible smug little bastards - the recycling centre classed them as builders rubble @ £1 a cwt bag (thats 50kilo to you youngens) - fuck that... my friendly binwagon took the lot for me noproblemo :-)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:24:50 pm by fiveways »

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »
I tip all the time. Food delivery minimum £1, bar staff "one for yourself" which ranges from 50p-£3 depending how cheeky they are. Taxi's get at least a few quid. Often rounding up to nearest £5. Hairdresser gets about £5. Restaurants get at least 10-15% of bill, usually higher.
Got mates down south who don't tip at all. Like even in restaurants and bars which surely goes without saying?? 

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2017, 06:22:40 pm »
Tip in the barbers & when I dine out.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2017, 06:43:17 pm »
Always. I've never had such shitty service that I wouldn't tip. I'm not one of those stuck up c*nts who needs to be pampered when eating out. If I'm dining at a restaurant I don't need anything to be above and beyond. If the service is fine and attentive then that is good enough for me. I hate it when people pest the waiters, especially if a place is busy. They are rushed off their feet, it is busy, they have many tables to serve and take orders from, give them a fucking minute. You'll get your food and another beer, you wont starve to death. You're living in a first world country and you are causing a fuss because you have to wait a bit longer for food?

When it comes to deliveries from pizza places and stuff I'll always give a couple of quid. Sometimes you'll wait ages on busy days but that likely isn't the delivery guys fault, so it wouldn't be fair not to tip on that score. In bars/pubs I'll always tell them to take their own, or if it comes to 9 quid or say 18 quid for the round I'll tell them to keep the change.

It's just the way I've been brought up and I think it's right. They are working hard, probably on low wages, and tips help. Those of you who don't tip belong in the mingebag thread :D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 07:11:39 pm »
I'm really sorry for inadvertently destroying the thread...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
Went to the pub last Saturday, pint for me and a large glass of white for the wife. Came to £12.40, not tipping for that! Don't think I go to the pub much these days but will tip restaurants and ideally cash having worked in one once where cash tips got shared out on the night but card tips didn't.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 07:22:35 pm »
Went to the pub last Saturday, pint for me and a large glass of white for the wife. Came to £12.40, not tipping for that! Don't think I go to the pub much these days but will tip restaurants and ideally cash having worked in one once where cash tips got shared out on the night but card tips didn't.
Can't believe you've not made some quip yet about tipping being for first dates and preferring to take it to the hilt!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »
Restaurants and cabs, that's about it for me. The more drunk I am the more I will tip.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 07:50:25 pm »
Can't believe you've not made some quip yet about tipping being for first dates and preferring to take it to the hilt!

I'm sorry you appear to have mistaken me for someone very base.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:42 pm »
Will tip at a restaurant but thats probably it. I'm likely on less cash than the person I'm expected to tip!

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2017, 08:17:52 pm »
Only tip in restaurants when dining out. I don't get tipped for doing my job so why should a taxi driver / hairdresser be different? Yes they're proving a service but I'm providing a hard-working service to my boss.

If something is £9 or £19 I'd round it up but apart from that no.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2017, 08:42:14 pm »
I always give the Domino's guy a £1 (poor sod is on peanuts and has to use his own car etc) - and my binmen always get a fiver and a 4-pack of Stella from me - has defo saved me doing numerous trips to the tip (or the recycling centre as its known these days) over the years as I de-clutter ;-)

moved recently and the new garden was full of pre-cast gnomes- horrible smug little bastards - the recycling centre classed them as builders rubble @ £1 a cwt bag (thats 50kilo to you youngens) - fuck that... my friendly binwagon took the lot for me noproblemo :-)

Youre not tipping the binmen, youre paying them cash in hand to do a job for you. Theyre not taking out of the goodness of their own heart.  :D

Oh,hang on... you don't tip, you get the binmen to tip. I get it now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:45:17 pm by Ziltoid »

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2017, 10:40:41 pm »
Never give a tip unless the worker has really gone out of their way to ensure a good service or if I get the vibe that he/she is genuinely a good person.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2017, 02:31:47 am »
I'm really sorry for inadvertently destroying the thread...
I think you inadvertently saved it.

I completely understand not tipping if the worker is paid decently for their work by their employer. My question is in England, or wherever it seems uncommon to not tip the delivery guy or sometimes even restaurants, are the employees paid at least or above minimum wage?
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2017, 02:39:05 am »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2017, 07:44:40 am »
I think you inadvertently saved it.

I completely understand not tipping if the worker is paid decently for their work by their employer. My question is in England, or wherever it seems uncommon to not tip the delivery guy or sometimes even restaurants, are the employees paid at least or above minimum wage?

Yes. Although they may be paid less than minimum wage, the employer has to top that up to minimum wage if the tips do not cover the difference.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:37 am »
A tip should always be optional and should be dependent on every level of quality & service.
No waiter/waitress or staff at any level should  have to rely on tips to make up their wages.

I have never been to the US or anywhere where tips are compulsory..what happens if the meal is shite & you get poor service too?
Are you still expected to tip?

Absolutely expected , we went for a truly grim Chinese in los Angeles , terrible food, worse service and rank toilets. Left without tipping and the whole family including our two young sons where literally chased into the car Park by a chef with a cleaver abusing us for not tipping . I told him to go clean his kitchen, get some less rude staff and buy fresh meat if he wants people to come back again never mind 20% gratuities.

So he chopped my arm off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2017, 08:57:37 am »
Don't think I've ever tipped a takeaway guy, always round my hairdressers up to £15/20, always tip in restaurants.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2017, 01:15:16 pm »
I tip the takeaway fella, to be fair they are always genuinely sound lads and the food is boss. If I get a cab I normally round it up to the nearest fiver, except in really, really rare occasions when the driver is a bellend.
Bars, pubs and restaurants - defo tip, no matter how bad the service.

My mate once went into his local chippy in Huyton, drunk, and said to the girl behind the counter "take your own as well".  ;D
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »
My mate once went into his local chippy in Huyton, drunk, and said to the girl behind the counter "take your own as well".  ;D

Did she just take 20/30p or did she take £1.50 and say she'd have a pie later?
Legacy fan

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2017, 01:53:06 pm »
I'll tip in pubs if it's somewhere I regularly go and know they're good staff.  Will also tip in other pubs from the 2nd round onwards - once I know they're making a reasonable effort.

I always remove the automatic £2 tip from Amazon Prime Now.  If I always got the same delivery fella then I'd probably leave it on but it's a different one every time and some of them are crap, so soz, they've spoiled it for everyone.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »
Did she just take 20/30p or did she take £1.50 and say she'd have a pie later?

Haha she took a mushroom omelette with chips and rice! :)
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 03:49:42 pm »
Americans are mad.

Waiters getting paid $2 an hour but the enemy is the customer? Idiots deserve all they get
cyas

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 06:25:00 pm »
Americans are mad.

Waiters getting paid $2 an hour but the enemy is the customer? Idiots deserve all they get

Who are the idiots in this scenario? The person who's only source of income is a below minimum wage job??

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2017, 06:33:01 pm »
Left a big tip under a noodle bowl in Beijing once and the young waitress legged it down the street, shouting and handed it back to me.

It was one of the best meals I had on my trip and I paid a pittance for it, I just wanted to show gratitude. The place was a dive too.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »
A question that has come up for me recently is how much to tip. In a restaurant, where most of the waitresses are often under 18 (and therefore get paid buttons), I would give 10% for mediocre service, but I'd give more than that for decent service. I think 10% is a bit stingey these days. Went out with my mum and my wife for Sunday dinner last weekend and the bill came to £70. When I suggested a £15 tip, my mum was outraged and insisted we only leave £7. Is this a generational thing? How much would you leave in a restaurant?
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 07:27:22 pm »
Who are the idiots in this scenario? The person who's only source of income is a below minimum wage job??
If they blame the customer, as from my experience a lot of them do, then yes.

Americans should be kicking off at greedy corporations with their hand in their pocket, but instead they take the anger out on customers who don't tip. Its fucking madness. Everyone should get a steady and fair living wage.
cyas

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
I find the whole "One for yourself" / "Take your own" thing in pubs proper confusing. Sometimes it'll cost you 20p, sometimes they'll take the price of a full drink. Because I have no idea which it's going to be, I tend to avoid it, but what I'd really like to be able to say is "Thanks for pouring my beer, but let's face it, you haven't brought it to my table, so would you like to keep 50p of the change and give me the rest back? Ta."
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 07:36:14 pm »
A question that has come up for me recently is how much to tip. In a restaurant, where most of the waitresses are often under 18 (and therefore get paid buttons), I would give 10% for mediocre service, but I'd give more than that for decent service. I think 10% is a bit stingey these days. Went out with my mum and my wife for Sunday dinner last weekend and the bill came to £70. When I suggested a £15 tip, my mum was outraged and insisted we only leave £7. Is this a generational thing? How much would you leave in a restaurant?

Round to the next 10 for bad to average service. 15% for good.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 10:52:02 pm »

I had a 10%/20% moment in a restaurant with my Dad, where I was paying (and he's a good bit richer than me anyway). It was a small country place, we got great service, they were cool with my then almost teenage son, I said stick 20% on the card and my Dad turned to me in full view of the waitress and said 10%, isn't it?

I find the whole "One for yourself" / "Take your own" thing in pubs proper confusing. Sometimes it'll cost you 20p, sometimes they'll take the price of a full drink. Because I have no idea which it's going to be, I tend to avoid it, but what I'd really like to be able to say is "Thanks for pouring my beer, but let's face it, you haven't brought it to my table, so would you like to keep 50p of the change and give me the rest back? Ta."

Ireland here. Nope. Very rarely come across that whole concept.