Author Topic: 00s Movies Draft - Sign up and Discussion  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 00s Movies Draft - Sign up and Discussion
« Reply #200 on: September 9, 2022, 06:21:50 pm »
Is it just me, or is the quality of movies in this decade not at the same level as the other drafts?  Maybe it's nostalgia, I dunno.

Personally, a lot my absolute favourites come from this decade so I vehemently disagree :P

I would say however when a lot of people think of 'classic' films from this decade, they probably won't be able to think of that many.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #201 on: September 9, 2022, 06:25:04 pm »
Yeah I wonder if that's it, and Sheer's comment about there not being loads of great commercial films makes sense too.  The blockbusters have more of a quirk to them, the further forward in time you go.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #202 on: September 9, 2022, 06:28:53 pm »
I was thinking it was that one because I thought Anderson's subsequent films after Royal Tenenbaums never reached the heights of that one or Rushmore, up until The Grand Budapest Hotel, totally agree with your comments about it. It's a great film as well. I don't think he's matched it since, though I really need to watch the French Dispatch.
Agree with that. The French Dispatch is good and enjoyable but it's definitely one of his lesser works (still worth a watch if you haven't seen it), and Isle of Dogs is probably my least favourite movie from his. The Royal Tenenbaums and the Grand Budapest Hotel are my two favourites, but there are some great movies between those two, one especially that's almost at the same level as those two, but not quite.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #203 on: September 9, 2022, 06:41:16 pm »
Finally get to the actual best Pixar movie of the decade
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #204 on: September 9, 2022, 07:15:52 pm »
Finally get to the actual best Pixar movie of the decade
Yep. Ratatouille is great, isn’t it?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 9, 2022, 07:17:24 pm »
Yeah I wonder if that's it, and Sheer's comment about there not being loads of great commercial films makes sense too.  The blockbusters have more of a quirk to them, the further forward in time you go.

I think it was a great decade for smaller films but less so for blockbusters (aside from Spiderman, comic book films just about started to become big towards the end of decade I think) and there's only a handful of blockbusters that I think would be considered greats by the general public.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 9, 2022, 07:20:42 pm »
Agree with that. The French Dispatch is good and enjoyable but it's definitely one of his lesser works (still worth a watch if you haven't seen it), and Isle of Dogs is probably my least favourite movie from his. The Royal Tenenbaums and the Grand Budapest Hotel are my two favourites, but there are some great movies between those two, one especially that's almost at the same level as those two, but not quite.

Yeah I really wanted to like Isle of Dogs but found it dragged a bit. I liked Moonrise Kingdom as well but it's not as good as The Grand Budapest Hotel or The Royal Tenenabaums (or Rushmore).

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #207 on: September 9, 2022, 07:30:06 pm »
Is it just me, or is the quality of movies in this decade not at the same level as the other drafts?  Maybe it's nostalgia, I dunno.
I personally love this decade for movies. Quality wise is as good as any, but there are definitely less "Iconic" movies than in previous decades.

I think we live in a time where arts are not allowed to garner that distinction, no matter how good or unique they are, and it probably started in this decade. I think the media oversaturation and the easier accessibility to movies (or other media), make it very hard for films to get that mythical status in the public eye. Not to mention the emergence of discussion forums where for every three or four persons that think a movie is great or a masterpiece, there's someone who thinks it's pretentious or overrated trash. One might that always happened but there are reasons why it's easier to trash a great modern movie than something like The Godfather. The status that movie garnered over decades of critical and audience praise is pretty much impossible for modern movies to reach.

I think of something like Parasite. Incredible hype and critical acclaim from the start. Almost everyone loved it. Won an Oscar for best film, as a foreign language film. But the hype and conversation around it quickly died down, to the point you rarely even see it mentioned nowadays. I wasn't even that big of a fan of it, but just to use a contemporary example.

I don't think it's a good or bad thing tbf, just a feature of the modern world.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2022, 07:47:44 pm by Lastrador »

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 9, 2022, 07:39:09 pm »
For me, it's been a lot harder to pick back up movies when you lose the ones you had planned to use. Yes, there have still been some fantastic movies to pick from, but maybe the pool hasn't quite been so deep, or we just don't have the same nostalgic feeling for the more recent movies.

For example The Lost Boys was one of my first picks from the 80's. Loved it first time I saw it, and still do. Would a 40 year old me watching it for the first time in 2008 have enjoyed it as much? I have my doubts.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #209 on: September 9, 2022, 07:57:08 pm »
For me, it's been a lot harder to pick back up movies when you lose the ones you had planned to use. Yes, there have still been some fantastic movies to pick from, but maybe the pool hasn't quite been so deep, or we just don't have the same nostalgic feeling for the more recent movies.

For example The Lost Boys was one of my first picks from the 80's. Loved it first time I saw it, and still do. Would a 40 year old me watching it for the first time in 2008 have enjoyed it as much? I have my doubts.

You definitely wouldn't. It came on the other day and I watched a few minutes of it, then had to turn it off. One to keep in the memory bank and treasure it there.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #210 on: September 9, 2022, 08:00:39 pm »
Oh Robert, you just broke my heart into a million pieces. I was going to pick the Assassination of Jesse James but panicked when my animation shortlist was dwindling down. Fantastic pick, one of my all-time favourite movies. Perfect cinematography, score, performance and writing. A true masterpiece.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #211 on: September 9, 2022, 08:02:28 pm »
Oh Robert, you just broke my heart into a million pieces. I was going to pick the Assassination of Jesse James but panicked when my animation shortlist was dwindling down. Fantastic pick, one of my all-time favourite movies. Perfect cinematography, score, performance and writing. A true masterpiece.

What a tribute, Las, my friend. I can't top that. I do apologise, buddy
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #212 on: September 9, 2022, 08:15:11 pm »
What a tribute, Las, my friend. I can't top that. I do apologise, buddy
No worries mate, I'm always glad when movies I adore get picked. It's truly one of those movies that every time you watch it, you will pick out something different. The true mark of great art. What a year 2007 was for movies btw.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #213 on: September 9, 2022, 08:21:53 pm »
Plenty of films to here that feel Like they were made 20 years apart.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #214 on: September 9, 2022, 08:22:36 pm »
Assassination of Jesse James is indeed a magnificent film. I've seen few more striking scenes on a big screen than this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yBCdekTEvmo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yBCdekTEvmo</a>

For the record, I saw Lost Boys in the cinema a few years back for the first time in at least a decade and was really surprised how well it held up. And there are some movies from my teen years, like Empire Records, that I loved at the time and now can't help cringing at.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #215 on: September 9, 2022, 08:33:34 pm »

another broken heart here! i was hoping i could sneak this in on a wildcard next pass around, as i'd painted myself into a corner. i'd forgotten how much i enjoyed this film

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #216 on: September 9, 2022, 08:48:28 pm »
and then you pick Un Prophet too!!! good work, another fantastic pick

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 9, 2022, 08:54:09 pm »
Assassination of Jesse James is indeed a magnificent film. I've seen few more striking scenes on a big screen than this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yBCdekTEvmo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yBCdekTEvmo</a>

For the record, I saw Lost Boys in the cinema a few years back for the first time in at least a decade and was really surprised how well it held up. And there are some movies from my teen years, like Empire Records, that I loved at the time and now can't help cringing at.

Great pick Sheer. As you will appreciate there were many to choose from. I mean Hugh Ross' narration, Nick Cave music, Deakins photography. Brad Pitt's best movie performance, Casey Aflick, Shepard, Rockwell all at the top of their game with Dominik pulling the strings. Sheer calls it magnificent, Las a masterpiece, who am I to argue

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 9, 2022, 08:55:50 pm »
and then you pick Un Prophet too!!! good work, another fantastic pick

Thank you dis. Rather chuffed with that double meself, like

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 9, 2022, 09:09:50 pm »

I think the death of curated media (TV and Film Theaters) played a big role in this change. Back in the day if there was a movie with good hype, it was staying in theatres for long time and after it was gone it would get played on TV forever, which helped movies gain that classic status.

With movie rentals and streaming gaining popularity, people consume media and move on.

If you were to make a list of the greatest 100 or 200 films ever I think 00s would be well represented.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 9, 2022, 09:11:58 pm »
It is nice pick Betty
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 9, 2022, 09:13:16 pm »
Borat is a good pick in my books. It was a perfect movie for its time. The jokes are funny and catchy, and the bittersweet moments work.

Its such an outrageous film too, takes some skill and balls to make it.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #222 on: September 9, 2022, 09:18:10 pm »
It is nice pick Betty

;D

Borat is a good pick in my books. It was a perfect movie for its time. The jokes are funny and catchy, and the bittersweet moments work.

Its such an outrageous film too, takes some skill and balls to make it.

Yep, it's easy to forget how risky it was to make a film like that. It could so easily have been a career killer, but that's why I think Sacha is a genius. Timing was everything though as you say.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #223 on: September 9, 2022, 09:30:09 pm »
There goes Sin City. Expected it to go awhile back. I was pissed when I realised Taratino guest directed it, so I couldn't even consider it.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #224 on: September 9, 2022, 09:37:51 pm »
What a pick Betty. :D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #225 on: September 9, 2022, 10:00:09 pm »
Skip me if you want and if Last is around. Didn’t think it would get back to me tonight and haven’t a clue where I’m going next.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 9, 2022, 10:02:03 pm »
Great pick Betty, was torn between Borat and Snatch. Regretting my choice now.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #227 on: September 9, 2022, 10:12:01 pm »
Great pick Betty, was torn between Borat and Snatch. Regretting my choice now.

Meant to say Snatch is also a great pick. Surprised it lasted so long actually. Another I realised I couldn't pick thanks to the lead actor rule.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #228 on: September 9, 2022, 10:21:25 pm »
Meant to say Snatch is also a great pick. Surprised it lasted so long actually. Another I realised I couldn't pick thanks to the lead actor rule.

Is there a lead actor in Snatch?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #229 on: September 9, 2022, 10:22:16 pm »
I was thinking of going down a different route, a much darker and depressing route, but I refuse to do a draft of the 00s where The Fellowship of the Ring isn't picked. I think everyone got scared by the early shouts of the LotR movies not being all that great, that's the only explanation for this not getting picked earlier. It's the perfect adventure/fantasy movie. While the Two Towers is probably my favourite, I think this one is overall the better movie of the trilogy.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #230 on: September 9, 2022, 10:29:23 pm »
Is there a lead actor in Snatch?

Well, Brad Pitt is front and centre on the film poster of both Inglourious Basterds and Snatch, so I'd have been taking the piss with that one!

I was thinking of going down a different route, a much darker and depressing route, but I refuse to do a draft of the 00s where The Fellowship of the Ring isn't picked. I think everyone got scared by the early shouts of the LotR movies not being all that great, that's the only explanation for this not getting picked earlier. It's the perfect adventure/fantasy movie. While the Two Towers is probably my favourite, I think this one is overall the better movie of the trilogy.

Ah yes, the BTTF 3 of this decade  ;D  I'm sure Lobo will back you up.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 9, 2022, 10:31:50 pm »
Can't believe how many great movies were made in 2009. I've got 3 of them and there's loads more I can't use

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 9, 2022, 10:32:26 pm »
The Fellowship is, for me, the best of the movies. The opening 20 minutes were fantastic.  Cate Blanchett and Howard Shore set the tone straight from the start. I did love that movie when it came out.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 9, 2022, 10:35:01 pm »

Seen none of them. Don't know why as it's probably right up my street. Waiting for the opportunity of seeing it back to back....I better get a shift on, Lobo, eh?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 9, 2022, 10:35:31 pm »
Ah yes, the BTTF 3 of this decade  ;D  I'm sure Lobo will back you up.

Absolutely :boxhead

I could honestly flip a coin between the three LOTR movies, all three are absolutely epic.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 9, 2022, 10:40:12 pm »
Well, Brad Pitt is front and centre on the film poster of both Inglourious Basterds and Snatch, so I'd have been taking the piss with that one!

Fair play, BB. Both very ensemble, like. Is Brad lead or cameo in Snatch? Like Tropic Thunder, is Cruise lead or cameo. It's a tough one

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #236 on: September 9, 2022, 10:41:06 pm »
The Fellowship is, for me, the best of the movies. The opening 20 minutes were fantastic.  Cate Blanchett and Howard Shore set the tone straight from the start. I did love that movie when it came out.

I’d agree with that. Think it benefits from being the first one. Seeing it for the first time and getting a sense of the scale of it all was pretty cool at the time. I’d just been to New Zealand as well which helped.

A lot of Pixar films made this decade.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 9, 2022, 10:54:10 pm »
Fair play, BB. Both very ensemble, like. Is Brad lead or cameo in Snatch? Like Tropic Thunder, is Cruise lead or cameo. It's a tough one
I'd say Cruise is in a supporting role with RDJ/Black/Stiller the main three, while Pitt is front and centre as part of a full ensemble.

As for the LOTR question, I'm obviously biased to some extent but while Fellowship had the bigger impact at the time, it doesn't really gets to the meat the way the other two do. There's a lot of exposition and I don't think there's anything that matches the power of the Lighting of the Beacons, Sméagol and Déagol or Charge of the Rohirrim scenes in Return of the King. Two Towers has the Helm's Deep sequence, which is obviously amazing, but I'm not sure how much else is really that memorable in comparison. We're nitpicking about probably the greatest trilogy in Hollywood history here though, they're all great.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2022, 10:55:58 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 9, 2022, 11:02:05 pm »
I was thinking of going down a different route, a much darker and depressing route

I gonna go down this darker route for sure. There are some great dark messed up films from this decade.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 9, 2022, 11:02:47 pm »

Thanks, though I wouldn't say Brad Pitt is the lead in that, but yeah I like that film.