Musketeer Gripweed
8 (30.8%)
Samie
11 (42.3%)
vivabobbygraham
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 20, 2022, 10:58:21 pm

Author Topic: 80s movie draft - VOTING (Group D)  (Read 1149 times)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
80s movie draft - VOTING (Group D)
« on: August 19, 2022, 10:58:21 pm »
Musketeer Gripweed

The Blues Brothers (1980) - Action/War/Western, Once Upon A Time In America (1984) - Thriller/Crime, Field of Dreams (1989) - Adventure/Fantasy, The Long Good Friday (1980) - Drama/Romance, A Fish Called Wanda (1988) - Comedy/Musical, The Lost Boys (1987) - Horror, Innerspace (1987) - Sci-Fi, Pink Floyd - The Wall (1982) - Animation/Family, The Name of the Rose (1986) - Wildcard

Category 1 - Action - The Blues Brothers

Category 2 - Crime - Once Upon A Time In America

Category 3 - Fantasy - Field of Dreams

Category 4 - Drama - The Long Good Friday

Category 5 - Comedy - A Fish Called Wanda

Category 6 Horror - The Lost Boys

Category 7 - Sci Fi - Innerspace

Category 8 - Animation - Pink Floyd : The Wall

Category 9 - Wildcard - The Name of the Rosae

Samie

Bloodsport (1988) - Action/War/Western, Thief (1981) - Thriller/Crime, Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Adventure/Fantasy, Rain Man (1988) - Drama/Romance, When Harry Met Sally (1989) - Comedy/Musical, Swamp Thing (1982) - Horror, Cocoon (1985) - Sci-Fi, Transformers: The Movie (1986) - Animation/Family, Tie Me Up! Time Me Down! (1989) - Wildcard

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Rain Man

Bloodsport

Thief

Transformers - The Movie

When Harry Met Sally

Swamp Thing

Cocoon

Tie Me Up! Time Me Down!

vivabobbygraham

Glory (1989) - Action/War/Western, Mississippi Burning (1988) - Thriller/Crime, The Big Friendly Giant (1989) - Adventure/Fantasy, Raging Bull (1980) - Drama/Romance, Amadeus (1984) - Comedy/ Musical, The Witches of Eastwick (1987) - Horror, Repo Man (1984) - Sci-Fi, Time Bandits (1981) - Animation/Family, When The Wind Blows (1986) - Wildcard

Glory - 1989 - War - Dir: Edward Zwick

Mississippi Burning - 1988 - Thriller - Dir: Alan Parker

The Big Friendly Giant - (1989) - Fantasy - Dir: Brian Cosgrove

Raging Bull - 1980 - Drama - Dir: Martin Scorcese

Amadeus - (1984) - Music - Cat: 5 - Dir: Miloš Forman

The Witches of Eastwick - 1987 - Horror/Female lead - Dir: George Miller

Repo Man - Sci-Fi - 1984 - Dir: Alex Cox

Time Bandits - 1981 - Family - Dir: Terry Gilliam

When The Wind Blows - (1986) - Wildcard - Dir: Jimmy T. Murakami

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9pJKdTqYijY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9pJKdTqYijY</a>
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 80s movie draft - VOTING (Group D)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 12:27:58 am »
I voted for Samie because he was the only one of the three that put all his choices in the correct categories. Amadeus isn't a musical and The Wall is at least 90% pure live action and not a family film. A few of those others are in categories that are very borderline too.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 06:47:08 am »
Samie's got the touch.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 08:42:32 am »
Did Bobby sneakily go 60s and none of us noticed?

Samie and Griphook
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 08:11:07 pm »
As a person that considers themselves pretty well versed in cinema, I feel extremely embarrassed by what I'm to say, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the Musketeer films.

I think in both drafts the minimum amount of films on any list I had seen were about 3 or 4. It isn't like they are little-known films or anything, it's just a collection of complete blind spots for me, Once upon a time in America being the biggest one. Tbf., I think I have seen bits and pieces of Blues Brothers, Field of Dreams, and The Wall over the years, but I don't remember ever sitting through all of them. Shame on me.

So by default, my votes go for Samie and Bobby, but it isn't like they don't have some great movies on their stables.

Thief is one of my all-time favourite movies, it's cinema perfection. From the cinematography, the soundtrack, and the editing, to the script and performances. They are all top Michael Mann. My favourite from his.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the best adventure movies ever made. Rain Man is excellent, and When Harry Met Sally is a really enjoyable movie. Have to give Samie credit for picking ”Įtame!, one of Almodovar's lesser-known films, but a very good one.

Bobby's list is really strong with very few, if any, weak sports.

Raging Bull is an excellent movie with one of the best black and white cinematography you're ever likely to find. As is Amadeus, as delightful as is harrowing. If you haven't seen it I recommend watching the theatrical cut first. While the director's cut of Amadeus adds some depth to the story, I think the theatrical flows a lot better.

Repo Man is one of the best left-field picks of the draft, especially at the stage Bobby picked it. Kuddos on that mate. Mississippi Burning is a very good movie, and Time bandit is a delight.

So excellent list altogheter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:13:15 pm by Lastrador »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 10:58:52 pm »
Well done Samie.

Will post the final up this weekend.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 01:53:03 am »
I voted for Samie because he was the only one of the three that put all his choices in the correct categories. Amadeus isn't a musical and The Wall is at least 90% pure live action and not a family film. A few of those others are in categories that are very borderline too.

Amadeus not a musical? What do you want, jazz hands and a fucking walk down with sequins? The whole film is about music! Really ridiculous comment that, Sheer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:09:48 am by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 01:59:20 am »
Did Bobby sneakily go 60s and none of us noticed?

Samie and Griphook

So predictable.  :rash. At least there was no anguish  :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:07:38 am by vivabobbygraham »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 02:03:13 am »
Well dpne, Samie. Well played the musketeer, I voted for me and you

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 02:06:05 am »
As a person that considers themselves pretty well versed in cinema, I feel extremely embarrassed by what I'm to say, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the Musketeer films.

I think in both drafts the minimum amount of films on any list I had seen were about 3 or 4. It isn't like they are little-known films or anything, it's just a collection of complete blind spots for me, Once upon a time in America being the biggest one. Tbf., I think I have seen bits and pieces of Blues Brothers, Field of Dreams, and The Wall over the years, but I don't remember ever sitting through all of them. Shame on me.

So by default, my votes go for Samie and Bobby, but it isn't like they don't have some great movies on their stables.

Thief is one of my all-time favourite movies, it's cinema perfection. From the cinematography, the soundtrack, and the editing, to the script and performances. They are all top Michael Mann. My favourite from his.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the best adventure movies ever made. Rain Man is excellent, and When Harry Met Sally is a really enjoyable movie. Have to give Samie credit for picking ”Įtame!, one of Almodovar's lesser-known films, but a very good one.

Bobby's list is really strong with very few, if any, weak sports.

Raging Bull is an excellent movie with one of the best black and white cinematography you're ever likely to find. As is Amadeus, as delightful as is harrowing. If you haven't seen it I recommend watching the theatrical cut first. While the director's cut of Amadeus adds some depth to the story, I think the theatrical flows a lot better.

Repo Man is one of the best left-field picks of the draft, especially at the stage Bobby picked it. Kuddos on that mate. Mississippi Burning is a very good movie, and Time bandit is a delight.

So excellent list altogheter.

As always, Las is spot on. Thank you, mate, an oasis you are. Thank you to the other five who voted for me. You have impeccable taste

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 03:55:01 am »
I voted for Samie and Muskateer.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 12:20:30 pm »
Amadeus not a musical? What do you want, jazz hands and a fucking walk down with sequins? The whole film is about music! Really ridiculous comment that, Sheer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_film
Musical film is a film genre in which songs by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by singing and dancing.

How many songs are there in Amadeus, Bobby? How do they communicate what's going on in the plot? Calling Amadeus a musical is like calling The Go-Between an epistolary novel because it has a letter in it.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 01:51:25 pm »
How many songs are there in Amadeus, Bobby? How do they communicate what's going on in the plot? Calling Amadeus a musical is like calling The Go-Between an epistolary novel because it has a letter in it.

But we are using Letterboxed to determine the genres. It doesn't make a lot of sense to punish people for game-planning what they will take by strategically using the categories that are listed on there. Letterboxed is accurate enough for our purposes - if we didn't use a single source like that, we would have chaos in here.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 02:08:20 pm »
But we are using Letterboxed to determine the genres. It doesn't make a lot of sense to punish people for game-planning what they will take by strategically using the categories that are listed on there. Letterboxed is accurate enough for our purposes - if we didn't use a single source like that, we would have chaos in here.
Who's being punished? I didn't say no one else should vote for Bobby or that the pick should be invalidated, I simply explained why I didn't vote for him. The category is Musicals, not Music, and Amadeus is no more a musical than Whiplash (which Letterboxd also includes in Music btw). But this is also why using an unreliable guide like Letterboxd instead of something more straightforward like Wikipedia is dumb.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 02:10:01 pm »
I didn't even vote and i won.  ;D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 05:34:07 pm »

The film's narrative is driven by the music, that's what makes a musical film. You're mistaking theatre with film you old West End Wendy. Get over yourself.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 06:05:18 pm »
The film's narrative is driven by the music, that's what makes a musical film. You're mistaking theatre with film you old West End Wendy. Get over yourself.

You know what one of my favourite musicals is? Jaws.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 07:18:21 pm »
:lmao  Seriously Bobby, you're bitching about not getting a vote that would have made no difference to the final result. And the narrative of Amadeus isn't even driven by the individual pieces of music. They could have put Beethoven in there instead of Mozart and 95% of the audience wouldn't have known the difference.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 10:17:00 am »
Well, that's just ruined my birthday weekend. Good luck in the final Samie. My vote helped you anyway.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 10:19:29 pm »
:lmao  Seriously Bobby, you're bitching about not getting a vote that would have made no difference to the final result. And the narrative of Amadeus isn't even driven by the individual pieces of music. They could have put Beethoven in there instead of Mozart and 95% of the audience wouldn't have known the difference.
Not bitching Sheer, just pulling you up on your ascertain that Amadeus was not a musical. I have no illusions about winning drafts. These film ones have been a joy to participate in from a personal pov. You tried to sully it. This is your version of a musical, mate

and not...

One of the great musical scenes of all time

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j9NG_NPLktA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j9NG_NPLktA</a>[/center]

« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 10:40:37 pm by vivabobbygraham »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 10:34:34 pm »

Nick, I love ya but you're not helping...

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 10:42:00 pm »
What a performance, from both actors

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j9NG_NPLktA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j9NG_NPLktA</a>
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 10:53:04 pm by vivabobbygraham »