Poll

Vote for who you think would win each game:

Robbie - Team Clarence Seedorf
6 (42.9%)
Nicholls - Team Ronaldinho
8 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 29, 2023, 09:18:07 am

Author Topic: The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - The Final  (Read 1176 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - The Final
« on: July 28, 2023, 09:18:07 am »
The Final

Robbie - Team Clarence Seedorf

V

Nicholls - Team Ronaldinho

TEAM JOGA BONITO... the beautiful game:
- centrebacks who are good on the ball, dominant in the air and aggressive man-markers. Also a dangerous threat on set pieces.
- solid two-way fullbacks who attack down the wing overlapping my inverted wingforwards. Possessing solid dribbling/crossing skills.
- a complete midfield, who can control the game through possession, win the ball back quick, both dynamic and expressive. Masters of passing and space awareness.
- versatile wingforwards, who can play on both the wing, centrally or drop deeper (both creative and goalscoring threats). A prolific striker who is a master in the box.

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Re: The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - The Final
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 09:29:49 am »
A rematch of Game 1 in round 1 of Group A, now with the added pressure and prestige of a draft final!

Robbie came out on top on that occasion in what was a tight affair but he faces a different prospect this time with many of the flaws of Nicholl's team, mainly the left hand side of his defence, now replaced with all-time greats. Where Nicholls chopped and changed, Robbie stuck steadfast with the team that has yet to let him down.

The main battle could well be Messi against Roberto Carlos and Frank de Boer on one side, where he'll surely find some joy given Roberto Carlos's more attacking instincts which will perhaps force Maicon back, however, I think I'll actually plump for the intriguing Kaka vs Matthaus as the key battle, at the other end of the pitch. Should Kaka come out on top then he could cause a lot of danger supplying Puskas and van Persie, but if Matthaus comes up trumps as he did so many times in his career, then he cuts off the main supply line for Robbie which would surely see Nicholls triumph.

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 09:38:00 am »
I've gone Robbie, I think it's the most balanced team in the draft and his fullbacks are the difference.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 10:36:41 am »
Two of the strongest draft teams I've seen.  I've voted for Robbie all the way through but I think with the changes Nicholls might just edge it now.  The only thing stopping me voting for him right now is Maicon, who I don't think is at the level of the rest of the players.

Dunno yet.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 10:44:12 am »
I think both Seedorf and Ronaldinho would love these teams made in their image.

I can see Seedorf joining Davids in midfield, in a very functional and direct 3-5-2.

Ronaldinho would join my attack on the left, and raise the level of Samba and excitement both on the pitch and in the stands.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 10:48:39 am »
Ronaldinho would join my attack on the left, and raise the level of Samba and excitement both on the pitch and in the stands.

Haha I did wonder if Mikey had a little change before the final to introduce the legend into the team :)

I was going to use it was a big fuck you to Betty :D

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 12:45:39 pm »
Great draft this one, well done mikey. Everything went perfectly well in the drafting process but could of easily ended up with having Ngog, De Goey, Overmars & Schneider in the team and it would all be very different.

Nicholls, Wullies, Mikeys and Bettys teams all very good, didn't fancy going up against Bettys or Nicholls in final.

Agree with Nicholls, Ronaldinho on the left there and it would be game over for anyone, Seedorf as great as he was doesn't enhance mine too much more.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 03:35:07 pm »
Has to Robbie for me. I've voted for him all the way through and I think it counts for something that he didn't make a single change to his team. No shade on Nicholls' more Frankenstein approach. Both would be worthy winners. But there's something special about Robbie's unwavering approach to setting out his team and letting it be.

I also think it's a perfectly balanced team with no weaknesses. Usually I take pleasure in finding some, but I can see none here. Attack, midfield, defence, all balanced beautifully. It was a drafting masterclass. Nicholls' team is probably more flavourful in an attacking sense, but like I said before I'm not a fan of Matthaus at DM and like Tubby pointed out Maicon is a bit of a weaker link when compared to the other players on show here.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 03:49:59 pm »
I did the same as Robert, where was my adulation mate?  :wanker

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 04:07:25 pm »
I did the same as Robert, where was my adulation mate?  :wanker

Yes, but your team was rubbish from day 1  ;D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 04:48:10 pm »
Dickhead!  :D

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 05:02:52 pm »
RE: Lothar, yes, Matthaus' peak was as a box-to-box midfielder, but still elite as a defensive midfielder: we've seen him lockdown/slow-down the likes of Maradona, Gullit, Zico and Platini (the best attacking midfielders of his era) in a holding/more disciplined role. Maradona and Gullit both famously saying how much of a great opponent he was. Fulfilling a more defensive task of stopping the opponent's best player/playmaker, in this game he has to keep an eye on Kaka, I think he has the tools to complete this task. I also think Xavi & Iniesta will both press and keep possession better than Matthaus' usual #8/#10 German midfield partners too (whether it be Magath, Doll-Möller or Hassler-Littbarski).

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 06:11:33 pm »
2 excellent team also but went for Nicholls.

Would loved to see Messi and Romario play together.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.