Author Topic: Merseyrail - now with added 777  (Read 53232 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Merseyrail
« Reply #440 on: January 24, 2023, 02:50:56 pm »
Guess their doing Kirkby first in case any faults develop, so they can get back to Kirkdale depot pretty quickly.

Kirkby is the shortest route, so you're likely on the right lines. I can't remember where I saw it, but I think they're only using seven of the new trains.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: January 28, 2023, 01:45:26 pm »
I'd already arranged to meet people, so I couldn't really cancel. ;D

Here's a couple more vids. The train in question is 508140. Looks like its engine was nearing its hours' limit; presumably it would have needed an overhaul after that point, which of course wouldn't be cost effective. Plus they found a floor defect so decided to pull it from service early.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3GC7Lsro_EE&amp;ab_channel=merseysidepalatines1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3GC7Lsro_EE&amp;ab_channel=merseysidepalatines1</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eMVShueUYQY&amp;ab_channel=DestinationTrainsPlanes" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eMVShueUYQY&amp;ab_channel=DestinationTrainsPlanes</a>

EDIT: Actually I've just noticed something odd - this particular train appears to be silver/yellow on one side, but all yellow on the other. You can clearly see it on the first video. I didn't realise any of the trains were half and half like this.

Amazing to think that the Class 37 is still in service after over 60 years! It was my favourite loco for a bit after I bought a second hand model of one from Hattons when they were in Smithdown Road years ago. I then went onto Deltics and I remember seeing one 'Tulyar'? hauling a Transpennine express in the mid 80s, shortly after they were removed from service. After that and probably still my favourite is the class 56, they were quite rare in the North West back in the 80s. As a kid I recall peddling out to Warrington Arpley to watch them hauling MGR coal hopper wagons from the Yorkshire coal fields to the Fiddlers Ferry power station and returning empty.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2023, 02:16:53 pm »
it's amazing the new train sets with the lights, noise and smoke etc - didn't know about that until i watched a hornby series on one of the freeview channels

and trucks lorries etc are awesome - especially when you see one of those 'abnormal' loads which takes up 2 lanes and has loads of cars and flashing lights etc

see - told you i was a sad nerd - but a happy one all the same  :wave

During lock down I cleared out my loft and found a load of old Hornby model trains from childhood. I'd read about the new digital systems and studied how to convert old locos to the new system. I converted a couple with decoders and also fitted led lighting using fibre optics, plus detailed and serviced them before selling them on. I then bought a few more from Ebay and did the same making a modest profit. I'm a trained Electronics Engineer but its all bloody software nowadays and it was really to get the soldering iron out and work with hardware again. Very satisfying projects which give you a good sense of accomplishment and quite therapeutic in what were quite tough times.

I was amazed how healthy the second hand model railway market was, I had a model of an APT from about 1982, I kept it original and it went for over £180. The other items from my loft that I did really well with was, to my great surprise a load of CB radio equipment, I advertised it on Facebook and people came from far and wide to pay good money for it. On the other hand I had loads of Liverpool programmes from the 80s which I though would do really well but I struggled with them and got about £45 for over a hundred of them - probably less than I paid for them in the first place!
 ;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: February 2, 2023, 01:09:36 pm »
Liverpool Central due to close, Feb 26th to March 1st for upgrades, re 777 introduction:

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2023/02/liverpool-central-station-to-close-temporarily-as-work-starts-to-accomodate-8-car-class-777s.html

Affects Northern Line only, services expected to return to normal on March 2nd.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #444 on: February 3, 2023, 06:21:48 pm »
Not sure what was going on at Hamilton Square at 3.45 but a fire engine outside with people rushing in, decided to get the bus instead.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: February 3, 2023, 06:36:09 pm »
Not sure what was going on at Hamilton Square at 3.45 but a fire engine outside with people rushing in, decided to get the bus instead.

I came through about an hour later coming back from West Kirby and it was fine. A power surge had knocked out all the escalators at Lime Street though. Bloody hell that was a tough climb. ;D

On a related note, I noticed there's lots of brand new sleepers and other equipment stowed in the tunnel coming into Hamilton Square for Liverpool bound trains. I'm assuming they're going to be doing some upgrades ready for the new trains, but that likely means the station will be closing at some point in the next few months.

PS: the ticket office at St Michael's is shut. Looks like they're reconfiguring the layout.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #446 on: February 3, 2023, 06:39:14 pm »
Due to a power surge some services on the Northern Line are delayed or cancelled
A power surge on the network has caused significant disruption to services on Merseyrail’s Northern line. We are still experiencing issues following the incident.

Southport and Ormskirk are currently starting and terminating at Sandhills.

Shuttle service running between Rice Lane and Kirkby.

There are no Northern line services to or from Liverpool Central currently.

Passengers travelling between Liverpool city centre and Liverpool South Parkway can use their Merseyrail tickets on Transport for Wales services from Liverpool Lime Street.

Rail replacement buses are operation from Moorfields and Sandhills and Sandhills and Hunts Cross.

All Wirral line services are running as scheduled.

Passengers are advised to check the Service Update page (using the link above) or our Twitter feed @merseyrail before travelling.

We apologise to all of our passengers who are affected by this disruption, we are working hard with Network Rail to restore services as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 06:40:49 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: February 3, 2023, 06:40:57 pm »
Merseyrail has had a power surge, that's affected the Northern Line.

Scottish Power the attendant told me. They didn't seem to be in a rush to try and fix it. I told them to switch suppliers. :P

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: February 16, 2023, 06:07:49 pm »
Any chance these c*nts can tell us what time Kirkby train they are leaving out on the timetable instead of changing it every hour?

Ta.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: February 19, 2023, 08:05:59 pm »
Another 508 departs for the scrapyard...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LY2Kn3sPc3o&amp;ab_channel=CW" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LY2Kn3sPc3o&amp;ab_channel=CW</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #450 on: February 19, 2023, 08:17:21 pm »
Apparently their is another diagram for the new 777 on the Kirkby line from tomorrow.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: February 19, 2023, 09:00:13 pm »
Apparently their is another diagram for the new 777 on the Kirkby line from tomorrow.

Diagram? ???

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #452 on: February 19, 2023, 11:51:13 pm »
Diagram? ???

That's what they call it in railway speak, when they allocate a train to a schedule.
#Sausages

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #453 on: February 20, 2023, 08:19:35 am »
hey guys a couple of questions for you:

are they running the new trains on the southport line yet?

and if so then are they still running the old and the new trains together?

and if so do we know if the new ones are on a set timetable (so i can make sure when i take my uncle out he travels on a new one)?

cheers
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #454 on: February 20, 2023, 08:24:21 am »

and if so do we know if the new ones are on a set timetable (so i can make sure when i take my uncle out he travels on a new one)?

cheers

Nope. Not on the Southport line yet. Think it'll be the last line to get them.

Unsure whether they run both, sure they will do though
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #455 on: February 20, 2023, 08:24:57 am »

cheers

They will be running the new trains on the Southport line. Unfortunately, the Southport line will be the very last line to get the new trains on the network. Which means the trains wont be seen on that line until Early to mid 2024.

But when they do eventually start rolling it out, it should be a 15 minute service Monday to Saturday and a 30 minute service on a Sunday

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: February 20, 2023, 08:35:46 am »
cheers guys - thanks for the speedy replies

i guess it's a trip on the kirkby line for him then
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #457 on: February 20, 2023, 08:37:52 am »
Southport will be the last line to get them, the roll out is expected to be.
Ormskirk
Wirral
Southport

The new trains have to be tested first after being delivered to Kirkdale TMD, they have to go through fault free testing before entering service [think it's 500 miles of fault free testing], when you think how many trains are being delivered, the network itself isn't that big, in terms of mileage, it is going to take time, so not sure how long the full roll out is going to take.

Kirkby is first line to have them, mostly as it's the shortest line & it's not far to Kirkdale TMD, if any faults develop in service.

Most faults can be found in testing, but others [like any issues with the doors] can only be found when in service.

#Sausages

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: February 20, 2023, 08:45:07 am »
Southport will be the last line to get them, the roll out is expected to be.
Ormskirk
Wirral
Southport

The new trains have to be tested first after being delivered to Kirkdale TMD, they have to go through fault free testing before entering service [think it's 500 miles of fault free testing], when you think how many trains are being delivered, the network itself isn't that big, in terms of mileage, it is going to take time, so not sure how long the full roll out is going to take.

Kirkby is first line to have them, mostly as it's the shortest line & it's not far to Kirkdale TMD, if any faults develop in service.

Most faults can be found in testing, but others [like any issues with the doors] can only be found when in service.

:thumbup

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: February 20, 2023, 06:10:47 pm »
From what I've heard, the new trains haven't even fully displaced the old ones on the Kirkby route. Makes me feel that they just shoved some into service as a PR stunt to shut people up complaining about where they were.  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #460 on: February 21, 2023, 12:52:13 am »
I don't think it was a PR stunt to shut people up, but yep i think theirs now 2 of the new 777 units out on Kirkby route & given that's a 45 minute turn around, still one of the old 507/508s needed.

I think Merseyrail wanted to roll out the 777s as soon as they were ready for passenger service, they should have started service 3 years ago, but delays with the unions, mostly over the use of guards, then covid hit, has caused the delays.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 01:00:19 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: February 21, 2023, 10:57:42 am »
I don't think it was a PR stunt to shut people up, but yep i think theirs now 2 of the new 777 units out on Kirkby route & given that's a 45 minute turn around, still one of the old 507/508s needed.

I think Merseyrail wanted to roll out the 777s as soon as they were ready for passenger service, they should have started service 3 years ago, but delays with the unions, mostly over the use of guards, then covid hit, has caused the delays.

I visited one of the trains at Birkenhead North about 18 months ago. The chap I spoke to told me they supposedly had about fourteen trains ready for service and, I think, more are stored down south ready to be delivered. Only about half a dozen from the initial batch still need to be built.

They need to do about 500 miles each on the network before being certified and handed over, but even then you would expect there to plenty available by now. It must just come down to driver training.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #462 on: February 21, 2023, 11:43:50 am »
I visited one of the trains at Birkenhead North about 18 months ago. The chap I spoke to told me they supposedly had about fourteen trains ready for service and, I think, more are stored down south ready to be delivered. Only about half a dozen from the initial batch still need to be built.

They need to do about 500 miles each on the network before being certified and handed over, but even then you would expect there to plenty available by now. It must just come down to driver training.

Are you sure they’ve bought the right sized trains? ;D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64717605

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #463 on: February 21, 2023, 01:44:20 pm »

As i said Merseyrail have had issues with the unions, mostly the use over the use of guards, so driver training & testing has been slow, 500 miles might not seem a lot, but it is.

With so many 777s that still need testing, & add to they have to fit testing in around the current passenger timetable, [not all testing can be done on Sundays], plus they need drivers available for testing the 777s too, without affecting the passenger timetable, is why it's taking quite long time to roll them out
#Sausages

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: February 21, 2023, 01:59:44 pm »
From what I've heard, the new trains haven't even fully displaced the old ones on the Kirkby route. Makes me feel that they just shoved some into service as a PR stunt to shut people up complaining about where they were.  ;D

Steve Rotheram was under massive pressure to rush a train out after promising the trains being weeks away.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: February 21, 2023, 02:28:13 pm »
As i said Merseyrail have had issues with the unions, mostly the use over the use of guards, so driver training & testing has been slow, 500 miles might not seem a lot, but it is.

With so many 777s that still need testing, & add to they have to fit testing in around the current passenger timetable, [not all testing can be done on Sundays], plus they need drivers available for testing the 777s too, without affecting the passenger timetable, is why it's taking quite long time to roll them out

Yep. One of the sticking points as I recall was that guard duty on trains was seen as a stepping stone to becoming a driver, so potentially losing the position put a lot of noses out of joint.

500 miles is a lot, but remember the first trains delivered had to do 1500 miles on the network before being certified; then the next few were a thousand miles apiece. And I've yet to see any work being done to see how eight car sets will fare on the network.

That said, I was told the original plan was to bring all available units into service in one fell swoop on the New Brighton and West Kirby lines. That plan was clearly jettisoned for whatever reason, assuming it was ever even true in the first place.

Popcorn's Art

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #466 on: February 21, 2023, 02:39:01 pm »
The pandemic actually gave them a great window to get all the testing done etc, but obviously the big sticking point was the agreement with the union.

Although there was no word on that from the Echo or the Council at the time.

If they had sorted that out then they could be way further down the track (no pun) with the new trains now.

Always remember that in 2019 they were saying the new trains would be here in 2020.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: February 21, 2023, 03:25:04 pm »
Yeah. Some of the trains are already four or five years old and they're still yet to carry passengers 🤣

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #468 on: February 21, 2023, 04:09:02 pm »
Merseyrail only came to an agreement with the unions over the use of guards just over a month ago, which is why the first units went into service very quickly after that.

All this could have been done years ago, & all the new 777s could have well be into passenger service by now, although the pandemic didn't help things either.

#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: February 21, 2023, 04:31:30 pm »
Well the pandemic certainly slowed train construction, but the industrial action was all Merseyrail's own doing lol

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #470 on: February 21, 2023, 04:38:27 pm »
Yep, Merseyrail could have come to these agreements 4 years ago, but decided to play brinkmanship instead, so only came to agreement just over a month ago, all the 777s could well have been in service if it wasn't for this.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #471 on: February 26, 2023, 09:18:56 am »
Not sure how true this is, but reading from another forum apparently the 777s have been taken out of service until further notice, due to software issues.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: February 26, 2023, 10:27:27 am »
Well they've only been testing the trains for four years, so realistically how could they have possibly foreseen or planned for something like this? /sarcasm :butt

I'll wait to see something from official sources, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #473 on: March 1, 2023, 06:58:26 pm »
One of the 777s has been spotted back in service.
#Sausages

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: March 1, 2023, 07:28:08 pm »
Just glad I can wake up tomorrow without having to get a rail replacement bus (fingers crossed)

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #475 on: March 3, 2023, 03:30:27 pm »
I believe software issue has been fixed, & 777s will operate all Kirkby line services from Monday.
#Sausages

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #476 on: March 3, 2023, 09:48:31 pm »
Question: Does anyone commute from Birkenhead with a bike? I believe it's permitted but has anyone tried it? I'll be moving to Liverpool within a fortnight and will be commuting to, I think, St James is the nearest station. As I'll be bringing the bike I could potentially get off at a less busy station and cycle back...or would it be better just to use the ferry instead, which is definitely feasible on the two wheels...? Any advice is welcomed.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: March 3, 2023, 10:14:04 pm »
Got the train from St Michael's today and the new stairs on the Southport platform are open now. Feel like they've made a mistake not having lifts with ramps rather than lifts with stairs.  I mean, that's what they've done at Hunts Cross.

At a pinch, you can negotiate a ramp with a buggy if you choose, and leave the lift for someone who really needs it; but there's no way you can take the buggy down those steps. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a queue of people with kids and wheelchairs needing the lift!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #478 on: March 4, 2023, 03:00:24 am »
All Merseyrail trains have space on them to store bikes, but trains are often heaving in the peaks, New Brighton line though is one of the quieter lines you might get lucky with that.

One alternative if you work place is walkable to/from the station, some Merseyrail stations have bike storage compounds on the platform, so you can store you bike safe & secure at the station, then travel out & back on the train.

Here's more info, you need to apply for a free security fob

https://www.merseyrail.org/plan-your-journey/getting-to-our-stations/bike.aspx

FREE Secure Cycle Storage
We now have 61 Secure Cycle Storage shelters on the Network at 56 locations - Cycle Storage is undercover and is covered by CCTV, storage units can only be accessed with a security fob. To request a free security fob, simply select the link below and apply online, we will send a fob to you FREE of charge.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2023, 03:03:10 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: March 4, 2023, 10:35:14 am »
Merseyrail are pretty decent at most stations when it comes to facilities, although by no means all. But cycle storage seems to be a big thing on the network. You've a better chance of finding a cycle rack than an accessible toilet.  :D

Popcorn's Art