Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 122418 times)

Offline adajam

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #680 on: November 27, 2022, 09:08:30 pm »
Seeing it is offering free coding for unemployed people, you can hopefully get them onboard to do it FOC. Might even be able to get Radio Merseyside to mention it?

Great point actually, yes it is free for those looking for work. Great point.

Offline adajam

• Boys Pen
« Reply #681 on: November 27, 2022, 09:35:30 pm »
Emailed a couple of the BBC peeps there - thank you for that advice :)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #682 on: December 7, 2022, 04:03:38 pm »
Suggestions for Mersey tidal power - seems like a good move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63878410

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #683 on: December 7, 2022, 05:15:01 pm »
Suggestions for Mersey tidal power - seems like a good move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63878410

Dr Judith Wolf, from the National Oceanography Centre, said the project, which would see a dam structure with turbines built in the river, could take up to 10 years to complete but would generate "very cheap energy" for "a hundred years".

so cheaper energy prices?

or...
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Eldonian Village - BBC Investigation
« Reply #684 on: December 7, 2022, 05:47:42 pm »
This is an eye-opening radio documentary about how the principle behind the Eldonian Village has now been destroyed by some scumbags who have managed to acquire - using dodgy methods - a lot of the land and property within the village, whose value has risen (and will only increase further as the area is increasingly regenerated). The properties have wormed their way into ownership by companies based in 'secrecy jurisdictions' like the British Virgin Islands and St Kitts & Nevis to hide the true ownership.

All the facilities - the sports centre, 3G pitch, etc - have been closed, some demolished. It's become a dumping ground and infested with some travellers' caravans.

I'm not going to name names, as two of the people seemingly implicated (per directorship records and some rooting around on Google) seem like nasty/gangster scumbags, but one was very close to the late Tony McGann (who drove the initial Eldonian village concept) and the other this bloke's business partner at an MMA gym. Both seem up to their necks. No coincidence that 'cage fighter' heavies have been intimidating people who try to speak up. And I've read one comment that these are acting as private security on the estate.

The Charities Commission and Financial Conduct Authority have shown themselves to be beyond useless, and the Catholic Church seems implicated (they've sold some land to these shitheads)

Has anyone else heard much about this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fwc2

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #685 on: December 7, 2022, 09:12:23 pm »
 Saw this on NW Tonight. Rotherham is pushing for it BUT it then needs Government approval  :-\ But it sounds good. They said it needs at least 5m between high and low tide, and apparently ours is 10m!
We are a team of one half.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #686 on: December 7, 2022, 09:23:39 pm »
Saw this on NW Tonight. Rotherham is pushing for it BUT it then needs Government approval  :-\ But it sounds good. They said it needs at least 5m between high and low tide, and apparently ours is 10m!
Yep, the Mersey tidal range, at 10 metres, is second only to the Bristol Channel.

The Bristol Channel has the second highest tidal range in the world, so the Mersey is right up there and absolutely ripe for a project like this.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Eldonian Village - BBC Investigation
« Reply #687 on: December 7, 2022, 09:24:12 pm »
Only when I too listened to this podcast last night , a quick google earth search shows the amount of land that’s been seemingly siphoned away . Land that was not worth much but now with the city centre spreading out , the titanic , tobacco warehouse and regeneration in the area it’s a lot more valuable . Would hope and imagine Tony Mgann would be turning in his grave .

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #688 on: December 28, 2022, 08:01:53 am »

This is what we should be investing in not white elephants like HS2.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: December 28, 2022, 10:17:39 am »

Won't you think of the poor Tory donors who lose out..............
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: December 28, 2022, 12:21:10 pm »

Clueless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: December 28, 2022, 01:20:11 pm »
Clueless

Why?

Surely environmentally sound power generation is a better long term bet than a business traveller from Manchester getting to London 15 minutes earlier on HS2?

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #692 on: December 28, 2022, 01:27:39 pm »
Why?

Surely environmentally sound power generation is a better long term bet than a business traveller from Manchester getting to London 15 minutes earlier on HS2?

The move to remote meetings means there is much less demand for inter city business travel. I presume the guy who said clueless was agreeing though.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: December 28, 2022, 02:42:11 pm »
Why?

HS2 isn't, and has never been, about someone getting between Manchester/Birmingham and London 15 minutes quicker. For an adult to believe that that is the point of the project is mindblowing and speaks volumes on the state of this fucking country  :butt

HS2 frees up the west coast mainline which will benefit everyone. No longer will the one track be used by everything from cargo trains to local stopper trains. It will allow better and more frequent local services whilst the longer commutes use the new HS2 network. It is massively overdue for this country as we are using a rail system built over 100 years ago. The fact that it's stopping after the Manchester leg is an absolute disgrace, it should never have been started in London as well. It should have either started at both ends (or every final stop) and then worked to the middle or it should have started the other way around and then finished in London

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: December 28, 2022, 03:59:40 pm »
HS2 isn't, and has never been, about someone getting between Manchester/Birmingham and London 15 minutes quicker. For an adult to believe that that is the point of the project is mindblowing and speaks volumes on the state of this fucking country  :butt

HS2 frees up the west coast mainline which will benefit everyone. No longer will the one track be used by everything from cargo trains to local stopper trains. It will allow better and more frequent local services whilst the longer commutes use the new HS2 network. It is massively overdue for this country as we are using a rail system built over 100 years ago. The fact that it's stopping after the Manchester leg is an absolute disgrace, it should never have been started in London as well. It should have either started at both ends (or every final stop) and then worked to the middle or it should have started the other way around and then finished in London

Thanks for your childish insult.

You don’t address the need for power generation - even an ignoramus like me knows HS2 doesn’t run on steam so the electric power has to be generated from something.

And your superior intellect seems to agree that the project is a pig’s ear anyway - so one thing we agree on.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #695 on: January 17, 2023, 12:46:09 pm »
This piece of land (Anfield Square) is up for sale shortly by the LCC,  be really interesting to see what develops here. I wonder if the Club maybe interested!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:49:03 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline kaybee

• Boys Pen
« Reply #696 on: January 17, 2023, 02:22:35 pm »
Was there not supposed to be a hotel built there?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #697 on: January 17, 2023, 03:34:40 pm »

Yes, think so, not sure whether is was a serious consideration though.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: January 17, 2023, 03:53:46 pm »
Everton should have held off moving to BMD - that spot looks about the right size for the stadium they'll need in the Championship.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #699 on: January 19, 2023, 10:04:36 am »

Think the hotel company have pulled the plug on the deal
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: March 9, 2023, 05:52:45 pm »
Has anyone been following the Radio One event that finished here tonight for Comic Relief?
Where did it end?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: March 24, 2023, 12:57:08 pm »
The Sunday Times has named Liverpool as the best place to live in the North West.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-65061678

Obviously. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: March 30, 2023, 07:37:50 pm »
A bird question.
I've been familiar with Otterspool prom all my life, but recently I've been going on long walks or bike rides along there and I've noticed dozens of Turnstones on the wall facing the river. Have they always been there? I've never noticed before  :-\

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #703 on: March 31, 2023, 09:21:30 am »
A bird question.
I've been familiar with Otterspool prom all my life, but recently I've been going on long walks or bike rides along there and I've noticed dozens of Turnstones on the wall facing the river. Have they always been there? I've never noticed before  :-\

Hey John I'm well into the birds but haven't been to Otterspool in 20 years so can't help with this, but stick it in Birdwatch in the Boozer and some wise arse will deffo know.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: April 1, 2023, 10:41:11 pm »
Hey John I'm well into the birds but haven't been to Otterspool in 20 years so can't help with this, but stick it in Birdwatch in the Boozer and some wise arse will deffo know.
I thought about that but I wondered if this would catch attention of our locals, the bird watch thread is fairly international :)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #705 on: April 2, 2023, 03:56:37 pm »
I thought about that but I wondered if this would catch attention of our locals, the bird watch thread is fairly international :)

just noticed this mate

first thing is - if the tide is in then they can't do much stone turning down at the river so the use the prom as a sort of cliff face

second thing - a lot of coastal towns have reported turnstones acting like pigeons happily walking amongst the crowds looking for an opportunity for food - maybe they originally scavenged dropped cockles and muscles (?) and now it's learned behaviour

but those down at otterspool are quite tolerant of us and i could literally get within a couple of feet of them without spooking them so if the adult birds are happy that we're not predators then their young will learn from this

in a way, i don't like this because it seems unnatural to me, but pigeons, gulls, corvids, mallards, coots, moorhens, geese, swans etc (and i've even witnessed pochards, mandarins, tufted ducks and gadwall doing the same) have been 'milking' us for years  ;D
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: April 2, 2023, 09:43:28 pm »
^ ^ ^
Thanks liver, every bit of that makes sense.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #707 on: April 3, 2023, 04:58:00 pm »
When Mr Sun goes a blazing this summer I might go round Otterspool

Walked up the promenade the other week actually went all the way to town (less boozers on that dock route than I remember....)

Curious about the ol Festival Gardens site though

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #708 on: April 3, 2023, 05:28:23 pm »
I remember going to that Festival Gardens when it was on. She would that have been, 1984/5 ish? Remember the great play area and nailing the monkey bars. :D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: April 3, 2023, 06:58:58 pm »
When Mr Sun goes a blazing this summer I might go round Otterspool

Walked up the promenade the other week actually went all the way to town (less boozers on that dock route than I remember....)

Curious about the ol Festival Gardens site though

One pub at Otterspool, and then one half way to town, thats it.

Festival gardens site - what do you want to know?
Part of it is a park that has been done up about 10 years ago. It looks pretty rubbish again now, the council say they don't have money to keep fixing it. The lake has holes in the liner, so water  doesn't stay in, as far as I know.

The part closest to town is being prepares for houses. They have wanted to do that for 20 years or longer, but one company after the other pulled out or went bust (apparently. As we all know what was going on in the council's building department, who knows). There were big piles of rubble and earth on that plot, which they've cleared and moved to the southernmost part (the other side of the park), that is also still fenced off.

Afaik, the plans are for 3000 houses/flats on the site. No idea how the area would cope with that, there is only one road, and no shops, schools, doctors etc.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 07:00:31 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: April 3, 2023, 07:07:07 pm »

Part of it is a park that has been done up about 10 years ago. It looks pretty rubbish again now, the council say they don't have money to keep fixing it. The lake has holes in the liner, so water  doesn't stay in, as far as I know.

The part closest to town is being prepares for houses. They have wanted to do that for 20 years or longer, but one company after the other pulled out or went bust (apparently. As we all know what was going on in the council's building department, who knows). There were big piles of rubble and earth on that plot, which they've cleared and moved to the southernmost part (the other side of the park), that is also still fenced off.

Afaik, the plans are for 3000 houses/flats on the site. No idea how the area would cope with that, there is only one road, and no shops, schools, doctors etc.

The other problem may well be that the Garden Festival site is built on part of the old Otterspool Tip so there may be stability problems.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: April 3, 2023, 07:11:36 pm »
The other problem may well be that the Garden Festival site is built on part of the old Otterspool Tip so there may be stability problems.

Don't know about stability, but definitively ground contamination.

It seems absolutely crazy to me, a long time ago all the river from town to Otterspool was green fields and woodland, and for some reason they decided that the best use of that land was to pile all the rubbish up and make a massive tip.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: April 3, 2023, 07:24:43 pm »

Aye. I was up there just last week with a friend and pointed out the plastic sheeting beneath the concrete lining. The lakes up at Greenbank and Sefton Park are part of an underground river system that empties out into the Mersey at Otterspool, but the "lake" in the gardens is 100% artificial and relies on rain.

The only bus that runs through that area is the 500, and Riverside drive can get pretty crowded. Would be a great time and place to introduce a tram system or bring back the overhead railway.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: April 3, 2023, 07:47:29 pm »
Aye. I was up there just last week with a friend and pointed out the plastic sheeting beneath the concrete lining. The lakes up at Greenbank and Sefton Park are part of an underground river system that empties out into the Mersey at Otterspool, but the "lake" in the gardens is 100% artificial and relies on rain.

The only bus that runs through that area is the 500, and Riverside drive can get pretty crowded. Would be a great time and place to introduce a tram system or bring back the overhead railway.

The lake in Sefton Park is fed by the River Jordan ;D So named by the Puritans who lived in that area. Originally it was called Osklesbrok, and went through Otterspool, which at one point had two large pools and I think a mill. You can still see the old riverbanks when you walk down the tarmac path. That's why it feels so damp down there. The little "river" runs underground now - it exits the lake in Sevvy, goes under the road, briefly surfaces by the entrance to Otterspool park, and then goes underground again, before exiting into the Mersey.

There is some info about it on Mike Royden's page (google Mike Royden Otterspool), its interesting how that area was used over time.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: April 3, 2023, 08:43:50 pm »
The lake in Sefton Park is fed by the River Jordan ;D So named by the Puritans who lived in that area. Originally it was called Osklesbrok, and went through Otterspool, which at one point had two large pools and I think a mill. You can still see the old riverbanks when you walk down the tarmac path. That's why it feels so damp down there. The little "river" runs underground now - it exits the lake in Sevvy, goes under the road, briefly surfaces by the entrance to Otterspool park, and then goes underground again, before exiting into the Mersey.

There is some info about it on Mike Royden's page (google Mike Royden Otterspool), its interesting how that area was used over time.

Yeah, it's how the Brookhouse pub got its name. Apparently the cellar there is fairly damp. :D

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: April 8, 2023, 01:38:14 pm »
Yeah, it's how the Brookhouse pub got its name. Apparently the cellar there is fairly damp. :D

Reading this post sat there  ;)

Though not the cellar

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: April 8, 2023, 01:41:23 pm »

Cheers - literally just wondering if its worth a nose on a sunny day! (Probably as it sounds as condemned as I think it sounded  ;D)

Is a bit of a lonely stretch that coastline with the lack of boozers and well everything else . Still, I love the water and I'll visit it a bit

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: April 8, 2023, 07:31:30 pm »
On a day like today, the promenade will be busy, even though there's not much there. People just like to walk, chat, cycle, run, walk the dogs etc.

Reading this post sat there  ;)

Though not the cellar

;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: April 9, 2023, 09:32:52 am »
Cheers - literally just wondering if its worth a nose on a sunny day! (Probably as it sounds as condemned as I think it sounded  ;D)

Is a bit of a lonely stretch that coastline with the lack of boozers and well everything else . Still, I love the water and I'll visit it a bit

It's usually chocka!!

The Britania (the one halfway to town) is a good place to sit and watch the river.

There's also a cafe in the outdoor activity centre at Otterspool, but its very popular with families. Also both the cafe and the pub there are a bit away from the river.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #719 on: April 9, 2023, 10:14:43 am »
Someone was stabbed in Stanley park yesterday. Apparently they (4of em)  did it in front of families etc before leggin it through the cemetery. The fellas injuries weren’t life threatening.
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com