Author Topic: The Horse Racing thread  (Read 323805 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: The Horse Racing thread
« Reply #4920 on: April 26, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »
Think that’s what you call a blow out! Neither Mullins horses ran their races. Sir Gerhard ran a similar race here last year after Cheltenham
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4921 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:24 pm »
Unbelievable ride from Jack Kennedy there, Sir Gerhard ran a stinker there, he's definitely better than that, going to blame Cheltenham for it.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4922 on: April 26, 2022, 04:26:46 pm »
Also think we saw why Mullins ran him in the Ballymore. Constitution Hill would’ve lapped him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4923 on: April 26, 2022, 05:03:34 pm »
Also think we saw why Mullins ran him in the Ballymore. Constitution Hill would’ve lapped him.

Not sure about that, just don't think he was at it today.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4924 on: April 26, 2022, 08:49:00 pm »
Another no show from Bob, jumped slightly right all the way then just went backwards before the race even got going. Hasn’t been as convincing over fences but somethings not right with him

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4925 on: April 27, 2022, 06:04:17 pm »
Allaho is some horse. Don’t think he’d stay the gold cup trip as I thought he might just be running out of gas at the end despite pulling further clear as he’d already run the others into the ground

De Bromheads horses are running like absolute drains

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4926 on: April 27, 2022, 06:16:41 pm »
De Bromhead’s as a stable have been iffy if we’re being extremely kind since he had that spell last Spring. He still gets the odd winner that’s too well handicapped or a way clear on pure talent but you’re risking it backing his.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4927 on: April 27, 2022, 06:35:43 pm »
Allaho is the best horse in training at the moment. Facile Vega an absolute superstar in the making.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4928 on: April 27, 2022, 06:58:37 pm »
Allaho is the best horse in training at the moment. Facile Vega an absolute superstar in the making.
Missed the bumper did it win easy. I see Redemption Day wasn’t far behind who ran no race in the mud at Cheltenham

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4929 on: April 27, 2022, 11:15:42 pm »
Missed the bumper did it win easy. I see Redemption Day wasn’t far behind who ran no race in the mud at Cheltenham

No was made work for it but Patrick said he was flat so it was still some performance. They left American Mike for dust.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4930 on: May 11, 2022, 04:13:30 pm »
Emily Upjohn is very, very good. Oaks good? Time will tell but she’s way above average. Love how good Sea The Stars is as a sire, he was beastly when I was growing up.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4931 on: May 11, 2022, 04:17:50 pm »
Emily Upjohn is very, very good. Oaks good? Time will tell but she’s way above average. Love how good Sea The Stars is as a sire, he was beastly when I was growing up.
Sea the Stars is probably my fav flat horse. Was at Newmarket when he won the guineas. Missed the boat with Emily Upjohn, she was still 6/1 after her first romp a few weeks ago, she seems the likely winner to me.

Think the Derby much more open though without Luxembourg

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4932 on: May 12, 2022, 08:45:47 am »
His Arc win was special, Duvva. Unbelievable horse to get him out of that hole.

Talking of the Arc, Melbourne Cup winner Verry Ellegant is going to be trained in France by Graffard now. Presume that’s because the owners thought it’d be a good idea and Chris Waller didn’t.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4933 on: May 12, 2022, 04:23:23 pm »
His Arc win was special, Duvva. Unbelievable horse to get him out of that hole.

Talking of the Arc, Melbourne Cup winner Verry Ellegant is going to be trained in France by Graffard now. Presume that’s because the owners thought it’d be a good idea and Chris Waller didn’t.
It was special as soon as he got the gap he was gone in a matter of strides and the race was over.

Desert Crown looked good winning the Dante, did wander slightly to the right which might be an issue at Epsom but the further they went the better he looked

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4934 on: May 14, 2022, 03:24:52 pm »
Hope we’re in Baaeed form today. Won at a canter

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4935 on: May 14, 2022, 04:07:21 pm »
He’s an absurdly good racehorse. The amazing thing is we don’t really know if this is even his optimum trip. On breeding he should get at least 10f but why would you up him in trip when this division is desperate and he’s almost unbeatable against the current crop. He should hoover up the group 1s this term and I guess it’s off to the sheds for him.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4936 on: May 20, 2022, 03:01:23 pm »
Haggas’ crew are in scolding hot form. Everything he puts a saddle on is winning.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4937 on: May 23, 2022, 08:39:28 am »
Haggas with another humongous weekend. Very difficult to take one of his on at the minute.

In Ireland, Homeless Songs produced a breathtaking display. Alenquer managed to get his hands on a mediocre Group 1. Probably become a stallion in Japan or Germany.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #4938 on: May 25, 2022, 08:07:51 pm »
He’s an absurdly good racehorse. The amazing thing is we don’t really know if this is even his optimum trip. On breeding he should get at least 10f but why would you up him in trip when this division is desperate and he’s almost unbeatable against the current crop. He should hoover up the group 1s this term and I guess it’s off to the sheds for him.

Very much like Frankel how he cruises into leading positions isn't he. I'd like to see him stay at a mile personally as he may not still have that same ability with two more furlongs under his belt. Frankel could do it but Frankel was a bit of a freak with breeding that suggested much more than a mile from the off as the Galileo/Sadler's Wells influence tends to be quite strong. The same arguments are made for Baaeed and the obvious comparison with Hukum, but as Haggas has said, he looks nothing like Hukum and he has a big backside - which all sounds like a miler. It's tough to get a good look at him to see what he looks like with regards to his breeding, but the racing world is so hung up on the sire lines they almost always ignore - at least to too far a degree - the other side of the breeding, and Baaeed has Kingmambo there on that side, and that goes back to the mighty Miesque, as Kingmambo's dam, so while the Sea the Stars influence is there - and he himself was sired by a miler in Cape Cross -  it doesn't necessarily mean he's only going to produce 12f+ horses because he was a 10f/12f horse himself (he's actually a good producer of winners over a mile as well, which is getting ignored). Either way, I want to see Baaeed end his racing career unbeaten because he looks that little bit different to most horses, he definitely has that X-factor about him, I just don't want to see him stretched to 10f just on 'breeding': if he's built like a miler his conformation is telling you his distance. But that said, I do trust that Haggas knows his stuff, he's a top trainer, so we'll see.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4939 on: May 27, 2022, 07:04:50 am »
I think Haggas will keep him to a mile, especially after seeing Bay Bridge look pretty spectacular over 1m2. I really don’t see anything to beat Baaeed over a mile but Bay Bridge might be a stern test over 10 furlongs. Of course I’d like to see it but I’m not sure we will now.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4940 on: May 27, 2022, 04:36:32 pm »
Do we anticipate Emily UpJohn shortening before next week? Around even money at the moment. With her being a headstrong sort I do worry Epsom could just take her off her game a touch with the undulations, but if she handles it then even money will be a steal IMO.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4941 on: May 27, 2022, 08:32:38 pm »
No idea about whether the price will shorten, but I do think she’ll win. Kicking myself for not getting in earlier. Was still 6/1 after her first run of the season. Won’t be going in now.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4942 on: May 27, 2022, 08:58:11 pm »
She seems by far the most likely winner but such a short price at Epsom doesn’t excite me. I won’t take her on, I’ll just watch.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4943 on: May 29, 2022, 01:07:16 pm »
Lester Piggot has died. 86. I read he had been hospitalized. One of the greatest of all time, a giant of the sport. RIP.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4944 on: May 29, 2022, 02:31:27 pm »
Lester Piggot has died. 86. I read he had been hospitalized. One of the greatest of all time, a giant of the sport. RIP.

Hadn’t seen that, largely before my time, first I really remember of him was being jailed for his taxes back in the day. But always held up as the gold standard for race riding pretty much unanimously RIP

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4945 on: May 29, 2022, 02:37:14 pm »
Hadn’t seen that, largely before my time, first I really remember of him was being jailed for his taxes back in the day. But always held up as the gold standard for race riding pretty much unanimously RIP

My Mum was telling me earlier that my Grandad using to call him a 'Pig fucking bastard' when he didn't get a mount home.

Of course, he was the best jockey in the world when he won :D

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4946 on: May 29, 2022, 03:35:30 pm »
My Mum was telling me earlier that my Grandad using to call him a 'Pig fucking bastard' when he didn't get a mount home.

Of course, he was the best jockey in the world when he won :D

Pig fucking bastard 😂

Didnt realise he was related to David Cameron

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4947 on: May 29, 2022, 07:36:26 pm »
Above The Curve winning the G1 Prix Saint-Alary in France today boosts the form of Thoughts of June for the Oaks. You can get on her for as much as 20/1 at the minute.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4948 on: May 30, 2022, 07:10:33 pm »
Anyone doing that "Ten to follow" with Tote? A fiver to enter then points scored for your selections for where they finish over the season; you can choose flat or jumps. More points in bigger races and the biggest ones get bonus points too. I like the idea of taking a fantasy football-type blueprint and applying it to the racing, making a real season of it with horses you can pick and manage. A bit different to traditional betting.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4949 on: June 4, 2022, 01:06:36 pm »
Any fancies for the Derby, doesn’t look like a great renewal? If there’s a good one in there it’ll probably be the Stoute horse.

Not sure I’ll have a bet but if I did I think I’d give Nations Pride a go.

Any other winner outside the front 3 in the market world probably indicate these aren’t a great crop of 3 year olds.

Also what to make of Emily Upjohn, unlucky loser? Obviously lost ground at the start when stumbling but was in more or less the same place as the winner as they came out of Tattenham Corner, took different routes but they both had a fairly clear run from that point. Think they’re both pretty good. The fact Tuesday is such a late foal probably means she’s got more to come as well. If they clash again in the Irish Oaks and Tuesday isn’t Fav I’d be tempted to back her
« Last Edit: June 4, 2022, 01:12:53 pm by duvva »

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4950 on: June 4, 2022, 02:10:46 pm »
A costly slip indeed but I don't know, Tuesday winning doesn't sit right with me.
As for the Derby, there are plenty of good horses here. I imagine Stone Age is going to try and do a 'Serpentine' and make the running, going by the style of his last two runs, whether he can last if he does so remains to be seen. Piz Badile is a good horse and would be going into this unbeaten if it wasn't for being hampered into the rails on his second start. He did very well to get back up after that for second and he's also showed good battling qualities since then too. West Wind Blows has a nice profile for an outsider. And a big outside bet that could outrun his odds is Grand Alliance. I think the weather is going to play its part today with some rain and a strong crosswind/tailwind down the home straight.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4951 on: June 4, 2022, 05:38:27 pm »
I think Desert Crown will prove to be an outstanding winner of the Derby. The rest are open to question but that was his third run and he’s won it without being shown the stick and Kingscote just pushing him along. 3 victories with a combined distance of over 11 lengths. I don’t really like the Derby as a race but he’s a lovely horse.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4952 on: June 4, 2022, 06:14:25 pm »
Yep, a class apart really, only Westover looking any kind of challenge over the 12f. Most of the more fancied ones look to have come up short on stamina with the aforementioned Piz Badile looking like he may be best at 10f like his sire Ulysses and a few others may find themselves capped at that distance at the top level too. In many ways it was a disappointing race as it looks to have thrown up very few for the 12f going forwards. Still, a classy winner for sure. My outside picks were largely useless, but taking Westover at 28/1 EW was my only salvation.

On Desert Crown: Nathaniel won a few of his races on the GS and his best offspring Enable and Lady Bowthorpe were both happy on the softer ground too so there may be a chance of an Arc horse there too.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4953 on: June 5, 2022, 02:10:45 pm »
Be quite a clash if Desert Crown and Baaeed met at York for the Juddmonte

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4954 on: June 6, 2022, 05:54:22 pm »
Sad to see that Hukum picked up a serious injury in the Coronation cup and may potentially have run his last race. https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/i-was-floating-home-from-epsom-then-bang-owen-burrows-on-cruel-hukum-blow/560676

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4955 on: June 19, 2022, 03:27:05 pm »
Nashwa wins the Prix de Diane (French Oaks). A first classic win for Hollie Doyle.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4956 on: June 19, 2022, 03:57:55 pm »
Run in a Really good time. Second ran a race nobody saw coming but they’d pulled clear so form should stand up over time.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4957 on: June 19, 2022, 05:16:53 pm »
Nashwa wins the Prix de Diane (French Oaks). A first classic win for Hollie Doyle.
Hollie’s excellent, and Nashwa winning suggests the two in the Oaks are very good

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4958 on: June 21, 2022, 02:52:55 pm »
Got tickets for the Long Room at Chester on Friday for the evening meeting.

Half day off work, skin full of Guinness and night racing. 

Get in.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4959 on: June 21, 2022, 04:16:29 pm »
Got tickets for the Long Room at Chester on Friday for the evening meeting.

Half day off work, skin full of Guinness and night racing. 

Get in.

Sounds good Pete. I’m off to Newmarket for the July Cup in a few weeks. Nearly always attend at least one day of the meeting as it coincides with my main racing buddy’s birthday