Author Topic: Telescopes  (Read 33338 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Telescopes
« Reply #160 on: April 1, 2022, 09:28:35 am »
Alpha Centuri from Slooh last night (Buggered if I can tell which one it is - guess the one in the very centre?!)

:)

EDIT: This photo from another site shows how hard it is to find, but maybe you can try with the three brighter stars around it?

« Last Edit: April 1, 2022, 09:37:42 am by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #161 on: April 1, 2022, 09:32:52 am »
NGC 6741 (Last Night)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #162 on: April 1, 2022, 09:50:17 am »
Alpha Centuri from Slooh last night (Buggered if I can tell which one it is - guess the one in the very centre?!)

Yeah, that is a hard one to spot!  :D
On another note though; I see they have captured a nice asteroid in the photo  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2022, 05:03:06 pm »
Obviously not me, but this photo amazes me

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2022, 09:48:06 am »
Centaurus A (NGC 5128) from last night

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2022, 06:01:34 pm »
Cracking couple of pictures  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2022, 02:53:07 pm »
Andy, great photos.

A quick question. Have you any idea which eyepieces are recommended and which are to be avoided at all costs. I'm talking about manufacturers here. I see loads of stuff but don't know where they rank. I can't afford the best obviously, but don't want the worst. I think I would be able to see the difference between the shite stuff and the mid range stuff, but probably wouldn't between the mid range stuff and the top end. I want 2" barrels and probably a 12mm, and a 30mm wide angle, with a Barlow to follow.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2022, 03:40:39 pm »
Andy, great photos.

A quick question. Have you any idea which eyepieces are recommended and which are to be avoided at all costs. I'm talking about manufacturers here. I see loads of stuff but don't know where they rank. I can't afford the best obviously, but don't want the worst. I think I would be able to see the difference between the shite stuff and the mid range stuff, but probably wouldn't between the mid range stuff and the top end. I want 2" barrels and probably a 12mm, and a 30mm wide angle, with a Barlow to follow.

I'm not really an expert, but I bought a set of Eyepieces from Celestron that were certainly good enough for what I was using

You can get them from Amazon in 1.25" or 2"

Celestron 94303 Eyepiece and Filter Kit - 14 Piece Telescope Accessory Set

Product description
Product Description

The Celestron 1.25” Eyepiece and Filter Kit is a great way to expand the functionality and enjoyment of your telescope. Inside the metal, foam-lined carry case you’ll find these accessories:

(32 mm Plossl Eyepiece - 1.25”, 17 mm Plossl Eyepiece - 1.25”, 13 mm Plossl Eyepiece - 1.25”, 8 mm Plossl Eyepiece - 1.25”, 6 mm Plossl Eyepiece - 1.25”, 2X Barlow Lens - 1.25”, #80A Blue Filter - 1.25”, #58 Green Filter - 1.25”, #56 Light Green Filter - 1.25”, #25 Red Filter - 1.25”, #21 Orange Filter - 1.25”, #12 Yellow Filter - 1.25”, Moon Filter - 1.25”)

Eyepieces - All five Plossl eyepieces can be used in any telescope with a 1.25” focuser. Each eyepiece features a four-element design with a 52º apparent field of view. The optics are fully multi-coated to improve light transmission and protect the optics. The 32 mm Plossl eyepiece offers a low power, wide field view in most telescopes, the 13 mm & 17 mm focal lengths are good medium-power oculars, and the 8 mm & 6 mm eyepieces provide high magnifications, great for the Moon and planets, especially when seeing conditions are good.

2X Barlow Lens - The included, and very versatile 2X Barlow doubles the magnification of any 1.25” eyepiece. Since this kit includes five (5) eyepieces, you will be able to use them with and without the Barlow, giving you a total of ten magnification options in all. Any other 1.25” eyepieces you already have will also work in this desirable accessory, giving you even more magnification choices. Remember, high magnifications do not always produce clear, sharp results, especially on evenings of poor or moderate seeing conditions. Experiment to find the magnifications that are best for your telescope on a particular night.

Filters - Colored filters can be used to bring out certain details on a planet’s surface or its cloud structure. All of the planetary filters included in the 1.25” Eyepiece & Accessory Kit, as well as the Moon filter, can be used on any 1.25” eyepiece with the proper filter threads, so they are very versatile. Just screw one onto your eyepiece of choice and slide it into the focuser.

The Moon filter is one of the first accessories most new amateur astronomers buy, and for good reason! It helps block out a portion of the light the Moon sends into your eyepiece so that you can see details better. You can also try this filter on Venus; it blocks enough glare so you can observe the planet’s phases more easily.

Metal Case: The sturdy metal carry case has die-cut foam inside to protect and cushion your accessories. Store each one in its appointed place when not in use and you’ll keep them looking and performing like new. The case is even large enough to carry a few extra accessories. Just pull out enough of the foam cubes to make a nest for your eyepiece, camera adapter, etc. A tight fit is better, so remove the least amount of foam possible before testing the fit. You can always remove more if you need to.

Box Contains

5 x Superior Grade 1.25" Plössl Eyepieces (6mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 32mm)
    1 x 2x 1.25" Barlow Lens
    6 x Colored Eyepiece(Lunar and Planetary)
    6 x 1.25" Filters (Kodak Wratten #12, #21, #25, #56, #58A, and #80A)
    1 x 1.25" Moon Filter
    1 x Aluminum Carrying Case

You can find them on Amazon and the reviews are around 4.5 - 5.0 (out of 5)

They come with filters - but the phospher filter that used to be great isn't effective any more because the street lights have been replaced :(

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2022, 03:55:03 pm »
Cheers mate.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2022, 11:49:36 am »
Some shots from last night

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2022, 11:50:12 am »
Venus

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2022, 11:52:19 am »
Saturn

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2022, 02:24:13 pm »
M78

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2022, 02:32:21 pm »
Great shot of Venus!
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline prusling

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2022, 03:09:18 pm »
M78
Great shot of Casper the Friendly Ghost

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2022, 12:23:06 pm »
Some shots from last night
Where's the comet in this one Andy?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2022, 03:40:44 pm »
Where's the comet in this one Andy?

Buggered if I can see it - even with the full sized image :D

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2022, 05:42:21 pm »
Just like to echo other people in keep posting photos, more the merrier Andy, love stuff like this,, god knows how many times i've watched Brian Coxs 'universe' just for the images

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2022, 05:48:33 pm »
Will do

If you have any requests, put them here and I'll get them up (The reason I'm missing some days is that if the weather is too bad, they can't execute the mission)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2022, 07:47:34 pm »
Uranus please.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2022, 11:35:37 pm »
Uranus please.

:D

Got a few lined up, but I'll queue that up for you when I can

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2022, 12:15:16 am »
Damn. Rumbled
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2022, 08:40:41 am »
M2 from last night

Messier 2 or M2 (also designated NGC 7089) is a globular cluster in the constellation Aquarius, five degrees north of the star Beta Aquarii. It was discovered by Jean-Dominique Maraldi in 1746, and is one of the largest known globular clusters.

Discovery and visibility

M2 was discovered by the French astronomer Jean-Dominique Maraldi in 1746 while observing a comet with Jacques Cassini. Charles Messier rediscovered it in 1760, but thought it a nebula without any stars associated with it. William Herschel, in 1783, was the first to resolve individual stars in the cluster.

M2 is, under extremely good conditions, just visible to the naked eye. Binoculars or a small telescope will identify this cluster as non-stellar, while larger telescopes will resolve individual stars, of which the brightest are of apparent magnitude 13.1.
Characteristics

M2 is about 55,000 light-years distant from Earth. At 175 light-years in diameter, it is one of the larger globular clusters known. The cluster is rich, compact, and significantly elliptical. It is 13 billion years old and one of the older globulars associated with the Milky Way galaxy.

M2 contains about 150,000 stars, including 21 known variable stars. Its brightest stars are red and yellow giant stars. The overall spectral type is F4. M2 is part of the Gaia Sausage, the hypothesised remains of a merged dwarf galaxy.

-----------------------------

Observation data (J2000 epoch)
Class   II
Constellation   Aquarius
Right ascension   21h 33m 27.02s
Declination   –00° 49? 23.7?
Distance   55,000 ly (17 kpc)
Apparent magnitude (V)   +6.3
Apparent dimensions (V)   16?.0
Physical characteristics
Mass   1.04×105 M?
Radius   87.3 ly
Other designations   NGC 7089.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_2

(From https://www.slooh.com )
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:57:46 am by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2022, 09:28:52 am »
Amazing to think that although M2 is basically another 'little white dot on a black background', it takes light one hundred and seventy five years to get from one side of the dot to the other! :o
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2022, 02:31:50 pm »
Messier 42

The Orion Nebula (also known as Messier 42, M42, or NGC 1976) is a diffuse nebula situated in the Milky Way, being south of Orion's Belt in the constellation of Orion. It is one of the brightest nebulae and is visible to the naked eye in the night sky with apparent magnitude 4.0. It is 1,344 ± 20 light-years (412.1 ± 6.1 pc) away[3][6] and is the closest region of massive star formation to Earth. The M42 nebula is estimated to be 24 light-years across (so its apparent size from Earth is approximately 1 degree). It has a mass of about 2,000 times that of the Sun. Older texts frequently refer to the Orion Nebula as the Great Nebula in Orion or the Great Orion Nebula.[7]

The Orion Nebula is one of the most scrutinized and photographed objects in the night sky and is among the most intensely studied celestial features.[8] The nebula has revealed much about the process of how stars and planetary systems are formed from collapsing clouds of gas and dust. Astronomers have directly observed protoplanetary disks and brown dwarfs within the nebula, intense and turbulent motions of the gas, and the photo-ionizing effects of massive nearby stars in the nebula.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2022, 02:40:25 pm »
We are lucky to have this object (M42) so close to us.

Great post Andy.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2022, 11:03:58 am »
Messier 57 (Ring Nebula)

The Ring Nebula (also catalogued as Messier 57, M57 and NGC 6720) is a planetary nebula in the mildly northern constellation of Lyra.[4][C] Such a nebula is formed when a star, during the last stages of its evolution before becoming a white dwarf, expels a vast luminous envelope of ionized gas into the surrounding interstellar space.

History

This nebula was discovered by the French astronomer Charles Messier while searching for comets in late January 1779. Messier's report of his independent discovery of Comet Bode reached fellow French astronomer Antoine Darquier de Pellepoix two weeks later, who then independently rediscovered the nebula while following the comet. Darquier later reported that it was "...as large as Jupiter and resembles a planet which is fading" (which may have contributed to the use of the persistent "planetary nebula" terminology). It would be entered into Messier's catalogue as the 57th object. Messier and German-born astronomer William Herschel speculated that the nebula was formed by multiple faint stars that were unresolvable with his telescope.

In 1800, German Count Friedrich von Hahn announced that he had discovered the faint central star at the heart of the nebula a few years earlier. He also noted that the interior of the ring had undergone changes, and said he could no longer find the central star. In 1864, English amateur astronomer William Huggins examined the spectra of multiple nebulae, discovering that some of these objects, including M57, displayed the spectra of bright emission lines characteristic of fluorescing glowing gases. Huggins concluded that most planetary nebulae were not composed of unresolved stars, as had been previously suspected, but were nebulosities. The nebula was first photographed by the Hungarian astronomer Eugene von Gothard in 1886.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Nebula

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2022, 11:11:33 am »
Also thought I'd share this.

Footage FROM MARS! Of Phobos going across the sun..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_CiqtYwqEQk&amp;t" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_CiqtYwqEQk&amp;t</a>

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2022, 12:29:58 am »
Thanks for the pic's and the link  :thumbup

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2022, 11:32:16 am »
Messier 102

Messier 102 (also known as M102) is a galaxy listed in the Messier Catalogue that cannot be unambiguously identified. Its original discoverer Pierre Méchain said that it was a duplicate observation of Messier 101,[1] but more historical evidence favors that it is NGC 5866,[2] although other galaxies have been suggested as possible identities. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) considers it to be the same as NGC 5866.[3]

History

The Messier Catalogue was a list of astronomical objects compiled by Charles Messier between 1771 and 1781, in which he briefly described each object and provided their coordinates on the sky. Because Messier was only interested in finding comets, he created this list of non-comet objects that frustrated his hunt for them. Pierre Méchain collaborated with Messier on the compilation of his list.

M102 was observed by Méchain in late March or early April 1781 and was added by Messier to the final version of his catalogue published in 1781.[4] However, Messier didn't include the coordinates of M102 on his catalogue, leading to confusion about the exact object they observed. His description of the object was the following:

Nébuleuse entre les étoiles Omicron du Bouvier & Iota du Dragon: elle est très-foible; près d'elle est une étoile de la sixième grandeur.

Nebula between the stars Omicron Boötis and Iota Draconis: it is very faint; near it is a star of 6th magnitude.
    — Charles Messier (1781), Connaissance des Temps pour l'Année 1784[5]

In 1783, Méchain retracted his discovery in a letter written to J. Bernoulli and claimed that M102 was actually an accidental duplication of M101 in the catalog. This letter was later published twice: First in original French in the Memoirs of the Berlin Academy for 1782, and second in German translation and somewhat rearranged by Johann Elert Bode in the Berliner Astronomisches Jahrbuch for 1786.[6][7][2]

J'ajouterai seulement que N.101 et 102 a la p. 267 Connaissance des tems 1784 ne sont qu'une même nébuleuse, qui a été prise pour deux, par une faute des cartes.

I will add only that No. 101 & 102 on the p. 267 of the Connoissance des tems [for] 1784 are nothing but the same nebula, which has been taken for two, by an error in the [sky] charts.
    — Pierre Méchain (1783), Memoirs of the Berlin Academy for 1782

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_102

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2022, 10:36:39 am »
Sorry for the lack of recent photos - pretty cloudy at all the sites recently..

Anyway..

Caldwell 77

Centaurus A (also known as NGC 528 or Caldwell 77) is a galaxy in the constellation of Centaurus. It was discovered in 826 by Scottish astronomer James Dunlop from his home in Parramatta, in New South Wales, Australia. There is considerable debate in the literature regarding the galaxy's fundamental properties such as its Hubble type (lenticular galaxy or a giant elliptical galaxy)[9] and distance (0–6 million light-years). NGC 528 is one of the closest radio galaxies to Earth, so its active galactic nucleus has been extensively studied by professional astronomers. The galaxy is also the fifth-brightest in the sky,making it an ideal amateur astronomy target. It is only visible from the southern hemisphere and low northern latitudes.

The center of the galaxy contains a supermassive black hole with a mass of 55 million solar masses, which ejects a relativistic jet that is responsible for emissions in the X-ray and radio wavelengths. By taking radio observations of the jet separated by a decade, astronomers have determined that the inner parts of the jet are moving at about half of the speed of light. X-rays are produced farther out as the jet collides with surrounding gases, resulting in the creation of highly energetic particles. The X-ray jets of Centaurus A are thousands of light-years long, while the radio jets are over a million light-years long.

As in other starburst galaxies, a galactic collision is suspected to be responsible for an intense burst of star formation. Models have suggested that Centaurus A was a large elliptical galaxy that collided with a smaller spiral galaxy, with which it will eventually merge.[6] For that reason, the galaxy has been of particular interest to astronomers for years. While collisions of spiral galaxies are relatively common, the effects of a collision between an elliptical and a spiral galaxy are not fully understood.

Constellation   Centaurus
Right ascension   3h 25m 27.6s[]
Declination   ?43° 0? 09?[]
Redshift   547 ± 5 km/s
Distance   0–6 Mly (3–5 Mpc)

Apparent magnitude (V)   6.84

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurus_A

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2022, 11:04:27 am »
Sorry for the lack of recent photos - pretty cloudy at all the sites recently..

Anyway..

Caldwell 77

Centaurus A (also known as NGC 528 or Caldwell 77) is a galaxy in the constellation of Centaurus. It was discovered in 826 by Scottish astronomer James Dunlop from his home in Parramatta, in New South Wales, Australia. There is considerable debate in the literature regarding the galaxy's fundamental properties such as its Hubble type (lenticular galaxy or a giant elliptical galaxy)[9] and distance (0–6 million light-years). NGC 528 is one of the closest radio galaxies to Earth, so its active galactic nucleus has been extensively studied by professional astronomers. The galaxy is also the fifth-brightest in the sky,making it an ideal amateur astronomy target. It is only visible from the southern hemisphere and low northern latitudes.

The center of the galaxy contains a supermassive black hole with a mass of 55 million solar masses, which ejects a relativistic jet that is responsible for emissions in the X-ray and radio wavelengths. By taking radio observations of the jet separated by a decade, astronomers have determined that the inner parts of the jet are moving at about half of the speed of light. X-rays are produced farther out as the jet collides with surrounding gases, resulting in the creation of highly energetic particles. The X-ray jets of Centaurus A are thousands of light-years long, while the radio jets are over a million light-years long.

As in other starburst galaxies, a galactic collision is suspected to be responsible for an intense burst of star formation. Models have suggested that Centaurus A was a large elliptical galaxy that collided with a smaller spiral galaxy, with which it will eventually merge.[6] For that reason, the galaxy has been of particular interest to astronomers for years. While collisions of spiral galaxies are relatively common, the effects of a collision between an elliptical and a spiral galaxy are not fully understood.

Constellation   Centaurus
Right ascension   3h 25m 27.6s[]
Declination   ?43° 0? 09?[]
Redshift   547 ± 5 km/s
Distance   0–6 Mly (3–5 Mpc)

Apparent magnitude (V)   6.84

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurus_A

Absolutely fascinating stuff there mate, thanks.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2022, 08:13:02 pm »
Lagoon Nebula

The Lagoon Nebula (catalogued as Messier 8 or M8, NGC 6523, Sharpless 25, RCW 146, and Gum 72) is a giant interstellar cloud in the constellation Sagittarius. It is classified as an emission nebula and as an H II region.

The Lagoon Nebula was discovered by Giovanni Hodierna before 1654[5] and is one of only two star-forming nebulae faintly visible to the eye from mid-northern latitudes. Seen with binoculars, it appears as a distinct cloud-like patch with a definite core. Within the nebula is the open cluster NGC 6530.

The Lagoon Nebula is estimated to be between 4,000–6,000 light-years away from the Earth. In the sky of Earth, it spans 90' by 40', which translates to an actual dimension of 110 by 50 light years. Like many nebulae, it appears pink in time-exposure color photos but is gray to the eye peering through binoculars or a telescope, human vision having poor color sensitivity at low light levels. The nebula contains a number of Bok globules (dark, collapsing clouds of protostellar material), the most prominent of which have been catalogued by E. E. Barnard as B88, B89 and B296. It also includes a funnel-like or tornado-like structure caused by a hot O-type star that emanates ultraviolet light, heating and ionizing gases on the surface of the nebula. The Lagoon Nebula also contains at its centre a structure known as the Hourglass Nebula (so named by John Herschel), which should not be confused with the better known Engraved Hourglass Nebula in the constellation of Musca. In 2006, four Herbig–Haro objects were detected within the Hourglass, providing direct evidence of active star formation by accretion within it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagoon_Nebula

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #193 on: May 2, 2022, 09:18:50 am »
Caldwell 40

NGC 3632 (also known as Caldwell 40) and NGC 3626 is an unbarred lenticular galaxy and Caldwell object in the constellation Leo. It was discovered by William Herschel, on 14 March 1784. It shines at magnitude +10.6/+10.9. Its celestial coordinates are RA 11h 20.1m , dec +18° 21?. It is located near the naked-eye-class A4 star Zosma, as well as galaxies NGC 3608, NGC 3607, NGC 3659, NGC 3686, NGC 3684, NGC 3691, NGC 3681, and NGC 3655. Its dimensions are 2?.7 × 1?.9. The galaxy belongs to the NGC 3607 group some 70 million light-years distant, itself one of the many Leo II groups.

Constellation   Leo
Right ascension   11h 20m 03.794s
Declination   +18° 21? 24.45?
Redshift   0.004977
Helio radial velocity   1488 km/s
Distance   74.72 ± 0.39 Mly (22.91 ± 0.12 Mpc)
Apparent magnitude (V)   10.98
Apparent magnitude (B)   11.80
« Last Edit: May 2, 2022, 09:23:42 am by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #194 on: May 8, 2022, 01:29:33 pm »
Wow!

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/04/30/mercurys-comet-like-tail/

Mercury’s Comet-like Tail

“This is NOT a comet, not even a meteor, but the planet Mercury, which is currently very close to the Pleiades,” says Voltmer. “How is the tail formed? The solar wind and micro-meteorites eject sodium atoms from Mercury’s surface. This creates a yellow-orange tail of sodium gas that is around 24 million kilometers long.”

People around the world have been watching Mercury climb up the evening sky this month. Some of them are probably wondering “why didn’t I see the tail?”

Answer: A special filter is required. “I used a 589 nanometer filter tuned to the yellow glow of sodium,” says Voltmer. Without this kind of sodium filter, Mercury’s tail would be invisible.

Above: Dr. Sebastian Voltmer observing Mercury from La Palma on April 27, 2022. Inset is the 589 nm sodium filter. [video]

Voltmer says the tail is so bright, he could see it in individual 30 second exposures. “I can see some very small changes in shape of the tail,” he says, “and the brightness is slightly increasing.”

The nights ahead are excellent times to catch this phenomenon. On April 29th and 30th, Mercury will glide past the Pleiades star cluster for a fantastic photo-op. Then, on May 1st and 2nd, the crescent Moon joins the show.

“Currently I’m imaging Mercury day by day just after sunset from the Canary Islands,” says Voltmer. Stay tuned for more sodium.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2022, 11:00:49 am »
JWT Image

Boom!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2022, 11:20:38 am »
JWT Image

Boom!
Looks like it's working ok then. :D
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2022, 12:45:12 pm »
Looks like it's working ok then. :D

Dave! You did remember to take the orange wrap off the satellite's camera lens didn't you?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 12:47:24 pm by [new username under construction] »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »
Dave! You did remember to take the orange wrap off the satellite's camera lens didn't you?

Ive just been reading about a solar eclipse expedition back in the 1890's or something in somewhere completely mad like Patagonia or something in which barely anything was learned because some poor sod forget to take the lens cap off - but of course there has been worse since.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2022, 02:05:14 pm »
Anyway the DBST will be up and running for the first time, when I get it over to France in a few days time.
NAKED BOOBERY