Author Topic: Transferring files from an old hard drive to a new one  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
Transferring files from an old hard drive to a new one
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:36:35 pm »
I've just bought a new desktop & have some files that I'd like to keep on my old PC.

How easy is it for me to do this? Can I just connect the 2 with a suitable cable or is it more complex?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Transferring files from an old hard drive to a new one
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »
I've done that before using a crossover network cable, but you can do it if they're both on the same network (wifi) easy enough.

If it's windows then I think just put them on the same workgroup. Google will help :D

If it's mac then it's automated, you just tell it what mac and what you want and it'll do it all.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:30:31 pm »
BTW, the old computer is knackered & I removed the hard drive from it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 03:37:02 pm »
put old drive in new computer?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:22:06 pm »
BTW, the old computer is knackered & I removed the hard drive from it.

I did what Claire said (cable or a docking station),it's easy to do as it's just like using a thumb drive.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:34:25 pm »
Depends on how old the computer is. But what Claire said. Or a docking drive if the old one isn't compatible.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:48:05 pm »
Depends on how old the computer is. But what Claire said. Or a docking drive if the old one isn't compatible.

The old PC is completely knackered, but I managed to rescue the hard drive, so I assume I can insert a cable to get it to appear on my new PC, I need to check what type of hard drive it is, but there will be a USB cable at the other end to plug into my new PC.

I can then hopefully copy all the files I need from the old drive.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 06:46:49 am »
Buy yourself something like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2JIQR7

Connect one end to the old hard drive, the other to your new PC. Only thing I’d say though is to ensure your old hard drive has SATA connections. It should do unless it’s very old but check before purchasing the above...

https://dyrk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SATAIDE.jpg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 09:09:48 am »
Buy yourself something like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2JIQR7

Connect one end to the old hard drive, the other to your new PC. Only thing I’d say though is to ensure your old hard drive has SATA connections. It should do unless it’s very old but check before purchasing the above...

https://dyrk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SATAIDE.jpg

Thanks, this looks like the solution.  I've checked the order of my old PC from 10yrs ago & this is the HDD.

HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+10] (Single Hard Drive)

Hoping it works!!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:24 am »
Just realised the product I linked you to is for 2.5" drives, but the Samsung F3 is a 3.5" drive. A 3.5" drive will probably require additional power. You'll probably need something like...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Adapter-Cable-Drive-Support/dp/B082SLP31R/

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 05:07:25 pm »
Thanks, this looks like the solution.  I've checked the order of my old PC from 10yrs ago & this is the HDD.

HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+10] (Single Hard Drive)

Hoping it works!!

Good hard drive, I've still got 3 of those knocking about.

Either get a 3.5" USB caddy as mentioned, or, if you've got space in the case and a free SATA port/ power connector, then buy a SATA data lead for a few £ and connect it in your new case permanently for backup space etc.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
Recover data from chromebook
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 09:40:55 pm »
My girlfriends niece stood on her laptop and destroyed the screen. She has her course work on there so wants access it but as it has an emmc drive and no hdmi ports, is there a way to recover the data. Its an Asus Chromebook C523N btw.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Recover data from chromebook
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 10:58:42 pm »
No expert on the devices, but I thought the point of Chromebooks was that you work in the cloud?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 11:07:59 pm »
From the spec of the chromebook, I think one of the 3.0 usb ports can be used to connect to a display using an adapter like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Monitor-External-Graphic-Converter-Black/dp/B07TB8DDSL/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=usb+3+display+adapter&qid=1579475115&sr=8-5

There's also usb to HDMI ones available. This is if it's only the screen that's bust of course. I'd try ringing Asus to make sure, get advice about a model of adapter that will definitely work.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline soft lad

• Main Stander
  • I think therefore i am.I'm pink therefore i'm spam
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2020, 06:54:10 pm »
My girlfriends niece stood on her laptop and destroyed the screen. She has her course work on there so wants access it but as it has an emmc drive and no hdmi ports, is there a way to recover the data. Its an Asus Chromebook C523N btw.
[/quote

I have got a 15.4 wxga screen samsung LTN154X3-LO9,don't know if you can replace broken screen with this one but you can have it if you want.Let me know.
"He says i'm a minor, but i've told him I work on a sewage farm!"