Author Topic: Round Table: Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6  (Read 14813 times)

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
Re: Round Table: Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:21 am »
In the games where we've had to defend we've done exactly that though. We concede goals in the games where we know we will outscore the opponent
So those three goals were deliberate individual errors then?

The first 15 minutes we were too deep defensively and left too big a gap between defence and attack, caused, I think, by the wing backs deployed by Cardiff, giving our full backs something to think about. Add to that the ease with which we gave up possession, not because of excellent pressing by Cardiff, they were lively but not that lively, but because we seemed to still be on the bus.

But, even when they scored a second, the ease with which we had scored our first goal, meant I was completely relaxed, with no fear at all that we would lose.
I recall thinking this exact thought " we will score a bagful here, they will be carved open again and again, and by halfway through the second half they will be tired and stretched."

I'm no genius, it's just that watching us in the last several months has made the prediction game rather easy.

Final point, as stupid as it was for Sterling to think Suarez would lay that ball off to him for the last goal, given that he was on a hat-trick AND Luis had done all the hard work, I was impressed that he was passionate enough to realise that Luis had passed up the easier chance by being greedy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:35:31 am by Miltonred »

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:33 am »
This was a slightly weird game in a way for me, being from Cardiff but having supported Liverpool for 30 years. I wanted a win for us - the title challenge (or "top 4 consolidation" if you're a pessimist :P) is way, way too important - and that would have been the way even if Cardiff were out of trouble and realistically going to stay up. It was the same at Anfield, the Carling Cup final and the League Cup game in '08.

I say 'slightly weird' because I wanted us to win and as I've got a season ticket for the City this year (mainly because I took the ticket over from a friend who passed away between seasons, unfortunately not getting to see the team play in the top division) I've seen how Cardiff can play at home against the bigger teams. Arsenal comfortably out classed them but both Manchester clubs were given a really tough game (although I suspect Man City just turned up expecting 3 points that day). Spurs were actually very good but only managed a 1-0 win late on (a game that included a rare appearance from Lamela!). They are able to raise their game at home and coupled with the obvious relegation threat I thought the stars might align against us.

The way we started - ponderous, no real attempts to press, careless casual passing - I thought my fears were going to prove correct. When Mutch ambled through and blasted the first past Mignolet I was a little worried - Cardiff rarely score from open play, so here's yet another bad omen!! Still, I knew we had goals in us and I didn't have to wait long before a delightful patient move ended up with Johnson squaring the ball for Luis (but in truth it could have been any of 3 of ours) to tap in the equaliser.

It was amazing to hear the Travelling Kop in full voice and when that goal went in they were jubilant. Unfortunately they were stunned back into relative quiet when Campbell scored Cardiff's second. Another goal that seemed just far too easy. Another goal from open play! What's going on?! I looked at the clock and the fact there was ages left meant I wasn't really worried anymore. I knew we'd score again, I just hoped we could keep them out which we'd not really looked like doing.

The goal before half time must have been a sickener for Cardiff. Leading against a top team (and one who hadn't looked totally at the races thus far), I expect they really wanted to hold on so when Skrtel beat a bunch of their defenders to score it must have been quite a blow, psychologically. They'd played with a high tempo and expended a lot of energy and I knew that wouldn't hold out - I expect they'd have been looking to try and sit back and hope for chances on the counter in the second half, should the score have stayed 2-1.

I have sympathies with the way our third went in. It's the rules of course, but it's a stupid rule. For a side to be 2 players down defending a corner - both of which are fairly tall lads - through no fault of their own, it's plain idiotic in my opinion. If that happens to us (in any game) we'd be furious and it's totally understandable. I know why the rule exists and I know that Cardiff could have been tighter defensively, but the fact remains that a team with a 2 player advantage is clearly stronger. It's just a shame the ref's can't use a bit of common sense in these situations, for me.

I'm not sure I agree with Solskjaer's assessment that this was the turning point in the game - we'd have scored anyway, regardless of whether it was through that corner or not - but it probably had an effect on the way the Cardiff players felt (deflated, hard done by, etc). They now had to chase the game instead of whatever their tactics were to be and as they'd already used up a fair bit of energy with that first half display, it would be a struggle - especially as we began to impose or dominance and control the possession. Of course, we go on to score another two and the game's over anyway.

When Kenwyne Jones headed across goal for their third, I was sure he'd totally screwed up an attempt on goal initially. Johnson and Skrtel switched off and lost him but you have to give some credit to the cross, it was right on the money. I've watched it back numerous times and he does intend to set up Mutch, but I'm still surprised. It's a great chance for him to have a go himself - he's pretty close to goal, has the time and space to get a good leap and attack the ball... just struck me as an odd choice for a striker, but perhaps I'm not giving him enough credit for seeing the opportunity to create instead. At 5-3 with 2 minutes left I knew there'd be no coming back for them but I also knew what was coming - the ball would be launched up for Jones and they'd try to flood the box, 'get it in the mixer' I think is the term from the Sherwood Coaching Manual. Still, I wasn't overly bothered although when the 5 minutes added time came up I must admit I felt a slight twinge of nerves as yet another ball was sent up towards the box.

Of course I was stupid to even allow such thoughts to creep into my head. This is the new Liverpool, the mentally strong team who're second in the league on merit. Instead of conceding a fourth what do we do?! Race up the other end of the field and add a sixth! Madness, sheer madness.

Loved the ovation at the end and when Rodgers walked over to the away end, his song is so good! I stood applauding (I'm not too far from the tunnel in the grandstand) as the teams walked off and I couldn't keep the grin from my face. I'd seen Chelsea get 6 earlier in the day and the goal difference might be important (thanks, Arsenal) so for us to put in 6 too - ok, we didn't quite keep a clean sheet - was fantastic.

Even when we're not at 100% we're brilliant. What a season this has been ;D

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 10:42:12 am »
On a weekend that started with my twins asking their mum to call me at work so they can ask if they can have Liverpool strips, I dunno why, it all started to seem strangely normal. Their little friend, a little Manchester United fan who always wears his Manchester United top, had been telling them that Luis Suarez was going to be bought by Barcelona, and that Liverpool were rubbish. Liverpool are great, my two said. Liverpool have... well... Dad! Dad! Who else plays for Liverpool?

Computer games have deprived them of a proper upbringing to date, you see. But joy of joys, I spent the early part of Saturday telling them about their new-found heroes. Who's the 2nd best player, Dad? Steven Gerrard, boys. Who's the 3rd, Dad? Daniel Sturridge, boys. What songs do they sing about them, Dad? Poetry in motion, tra-lalalala! Come lunchtime they were ready. For once, they were almost watching as I tuned in on my laptop. They huddled round for as long as two seven year olds can in the circumstances, as often as they could muster.

And it dawned on me. Can you imagine growing up and being first acquainted with the club at this point in time? When the side look so, well, bonkers? There was a move just before half time when I actually burst out laughing. One touch, and completely impossible to defend against. It made me dizzy watching it. Bonkers.

And it dawned on me. That's the kind of thing I grew up with. The quality of football I was first acquainted with, albeit only from time to time. Now it's every week, of course. But in a modern twitterverse, where everything runs at double time, I suppose that's only natural. Bonkers is the norm.

This morning the first thing my boys talked to me about was Luis Suarez. For that alone, I'll be grateful to Brendan Rodgers for the rest of my days. 
Superb post.  Nail on the head about the kids first experience(s) with the club.  That is magical.

Offline nightporter

• Nothing personal, but good riddance.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 10:55:10 am »
In the games where we've had to defend we've done exactly that though. We concede goals in the games where we know we will outscore the opponent

And we want to play like this against Champions League opponents?
'Vagiclean, huh? What's the matter, honey? Little extra cheese on the taco?'

'Price check on Vagiclean, aisle five. I repeat: price check on Vagiclean, aisle five. That's Vagiclean. We've got a customer down here with a full-on fallopian fungus. She's baking a loaf of bread and I think it's sourdough.'

Offline nightporter

• Nothing personal, but good riddance.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:24 am »
We've already got a quality right back and an able deputy. Glen Johnson and Jon Flanagan are the names.

A lot of our goals have been due to individual errors, wipe those out and our defensive 'issues' wouldn't appear to be so bad. In the big games we have been fine defensively anyway.

If we want to maintain this irrepressible attacking approach we are just going to have to accept that our defenders will get burned from time to time. That's football and I'd much prefer that than the cagier approach that say Chelsea adopt.

I don't believe Johnson is a quality 'defender' and, although Flanagan will become a superb defender, his last game proved he isn't quite there yet.

An off day at Cardiff when your scoring six goals papers over the cracks somewhat. An off day at the likes of the Allianz Arena or the Bernabeu is another matter.
'Vagiclean, huh? What's the matter, honey? Little extra cheese on the taco?'

'Price check on Vagiclean, aisle five. I repeat: price check on Vagiclean, aisle five. That's Vagiclean. We've got a customer down here with a full-on fallopian fungus. She's baking a loaf of bread and I think it's sourdough.'

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:55 am »
You forgot to tell them to go back and gob the little manc twat.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 11:09:53 am »
It's been a while seeing a Liverpool side trailing 2-1 at any point in a game away from home and me still having confidence and belief we were going to turn it around and win comfortably!

This really does feel like a dream!

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:59 am »
Brendan will know though that this defending won't do in the Champions League next season. We need to stop chopping and changing and purchase a quality right back and left back in my opinion.

Seeing as how CL football is but guaranteed, he and the transfer committee will be working on this now.

They won’t of needed Saturday’s game to prove we needed better defenders.
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 11:25:46 am »
I don't think I've seen that scoreline for a Liverpool away game before. Club stattos, am I right? I was at Upton Park one year when we won a game 3-5 I think (but Hooper was in goals that day and was probably breaking off for lunch when the Hammers got their goals) and I was also present at the glorious 2-6 at Highfield Road the last time we lifted the Big One. 

And yet the crazy scoreline doesn't particularly surprise me. You're supposed to say, of course, that you'd prefer 0-3 to 3-6. But I don't. That six is six of the best. It isn't just Cardiff City that now have smarting buttock cheeks of course. It's Man City and Chelsea too. It's simply frightening to see the number of goals in this team of ours. 

We didn't actually play that well until around the 40th minute mark. Coutinho looked like he meant business but there was something peculiarly half-arsed about everyone else. Flanno let his winger get to the byline twice in the first two minutes, Gerrard picked up a yellow in the 3rd, Hendo and Sturridge kept giving the ball away then Joe Allen - of all people - threw away possession in his own box. Gerrard had already decided that Allen was going to recycle the ball and had left his man to venture upfield. His man ran unimpeded into a shooting possession and let fly. The shot was decent but Mignolet didn't even bother diving. It looked like a friendly game.

Our equaliser was nice. It's the most Barca goal we've probably scored this season. It wasn't just the beautiful tapestry we wove for several minutes before the strike, but the wonderfully-timed run from (the excellent) Johnson and the destroyer pass from Henderson. Suarez slotted home. But it could just have easily been Sturridge. I've seen that goal many times before, but it's usually Xavi making the defence-splitting pass, Alves supplying the cross, and Messi the finish.   

Then we clocked off again. Campbell (a 45-minute player if I've ever seen one) took Agger on walkabouts, Mignolet advanced into no man's land and that was 2-1.

I was embarrassed more than worried though. We all were. Even at 1-2 down I was more concerned about what this might be doing to our goal difference than what it could do to our points tally. Skrtel, on cue, turned up to restore some sanity to the scoreline with a strike that suggested a mis-spent youth playing centre-forward. Great cross from Coutinho.

In the second half it was the Liverpool of Old Trafford that trotted out. In truth the signs had been there in the final 5 minutes of the first half when we'd moved with fluency and purpose at last. We grabbed a third in controversial circumstances (although that'll teach the Cardiff players not to encroach in future) but it was the sustained passage of play before the 4th that was the highlight for me. You cannot spend so long chasing the ball, as Cardiff's players were now doing, without getting knackered and territorially confused. Not one of their payers knew quite where they were by the time Luis smashed in number 4. And that back-heel? Some Premier League forwards can't hit the ball with their laces as hard as that.

Number 5 showed why Suarez and Sturridge are now the best forward pair in Europe (it also showed why we shouldn't touch Caulker with a barge pole). They pulled one back - which was a credit to their subs who were very good. Then we put another penny in the slot and got number 6.

What does it all mean? Well we're about to find out. Oddly, we are now the neutral's preference for the Title.That has something to do with the fact that we're the most beautiful to watch. But it also reflects our status as outsiders. I know this. We have the best coach. We have the best goal-scorers. And - as Sunderland are about to find out - we have the best supporters. All three of these things are important as we enter the final bend.

For those going to Anfield on Wednesday, get the red out and bring the noise.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:22 am »
A few random thoughts:

I like that Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling hold each other to account on the pitch. There's clearly affection for each other but if you're not doing the right thing you're gunna cop an earful.

The off the pitch rule after medical assistance I think is there for very good reason. To stop cowards feigning injury in an effort to waste time. Really when it comes down to it it's nobodies fault but their own. Neither player actually needed medical assistance. If that happened to us my vitriol would not be at the rule but rather the players for their stupidity in not thinking about the consequences of their actions.

Some breathtaking football that comes at a cost, it only takes things to be a little off for us to concede but against Cardiff things were just a little off.

The defence was sitting too deep afraid of Cardiff's pace but worse early was the pressing on our left hand side, it looked like there was a a breakdown in communication between Agger, Allen, Gerrard and Flanagan that afforded Cardiff way too much time and space on the ball.

All in all another brilliant game from our men in red.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 11:47:03 am »
I'm chalking the first half down to an anomaly, with us being too deep and being unusually sloppy with our passing and credit to Cardiff, they came out of the blocks quickly and put us under some pressure (though obviously they weren't able to retain that throughout the match) and the second half was totally different, we were fully in control. More of that please against Sunderland. Taking a step back and looking at the game as a whole, it was one we deserved to win, despite some of the negative aspects of it.

And the other thing was the different types of goals we scored. Against a packed defence (the first and fourth goal) set pieces (second and third) and the last two were on the counter attack. Like others, I always feel confident we can score now which is not a feeling I'm used to.

And regarding Mignolet, he's really gotten better and better as the season has progressed. He was probably our most solid player on Saturday (not difficult, I know) and didn't really have much of a chance with the goals but his general all round play is much better now than earlier on in the season. Credit to him and the coaching staff for that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »
I don't think I've seen that scoreline for a Liverpool away game before. Club stattos, am I right? I was at Upton Park one year when we won a game 3-5 I think (but Hooper was in goals that day and was probably breaking off for lunch when the Hammers got their goals) and I was also present at the glorious 2-6 at Highfield Road the last time we lifted the Big One. 

That was 6-1 was it not Yorky? The Barnes hat trick game after the title was won?

Have we won any game 6-3, home or away? FC Syon in the Cup Winners Cup rings a bell.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 12:33:15 pm »
That was 6-1 was it not Yorky? The Barnes hat trick game after the title was won?

You're right. Just checked it now. It was 1-6. That was 1990 of course. ("Ronny, oh Ronny Ronny, oh Ronny, Ronny.... ;D)

I gave West Ham an extra goal too. It was 2-5 not 3-5. That was 1986.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »
Another 3-5 this season of course, Stoke away...

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
We started off slow In the 1st half but you knew Rodgers would address that he's a thinking coach. I just look over to someone like Arsene wenger who for me has been left behind by the emergence of the new coaches in the last few years. Just look at the stability he's enjoyed at Arsenal and yet were matching them and growing stronger in only Rodgers 2nd year.  Wenger looked lost during the Chelsea game didn't learn from his mistakes at Anfield. Rodgers adapts and learn's from his mistakes.

Onto the Actual game the confidence is the team is clearly evident even at 2-1 down we never panicked and knew their were plenty more goals in the game for us.  Teams are just frightened they take the lead but never feel safe against us.  I think our 1st goal was brilliant the patience to pass the ball around looking for the opening. We are a very flexible side we can either hit teams on the counter attack, or pass them off to the pitch.

Lastly Glen Johnson was fantastic wasn't he?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:51:35 pm by Legacy »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »
If you’re going to win the league there is no doubt that you will need to get results while not playing particularly well.  So it was nice to see that after a poor opening 30 minutes we were able come back from 1-0 and 2-1 down and eventually score a remarkable 6 goals.  That shows a resilience that has been sorely missing over the last few seasons and is a key ingredient in any title-winning side.

However, the thing which stood out for me the most was the variation of our approach with regard to our attacking game.  If you look at the 6 goals we scored on Saturday they can be broken down into 3 categories.

Methodical passing build-up (first & fourth goals)

Set pieces and open play crosses (second & third goals)

Counter attack (fifth & sixth goals)

It’s impressive to see that we are able to change our game plan to fit the in-game scenario.  Football is a fluid game and with the inevitable ebb and flow you will need to be able to adapt to survive let alone thrive. 
Cardiff started the game well, pressing us back and exposing the space in between the defence and midfield.  The early goal meant that they would sit back but we were able to build enough pressure and produce enough quality to ensure we scored.  And later in the game when Cardiff were chasing goals, we were able to effectively hit them on the break. 

It’s this tactical flexibility which must make it so difficult for opposition managers to prepare.  Do we sit back?  Do we press?  Should we limit them to set pieces?  Should we make it a scrap?  We seem to have a solution for nearly every given scenario. 

We’ll need this going forward.  But it’s good to see it coming through in a side that has only been together for such a short period of time. 

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »
On a weekend that started with my twins asking their mum to call me at work so they can ask if they can have Liverpool strips, I dunno why, it all started to seem strangely normal. Their little friend, a little Manchester United fan who always wears his Manchester United top, had been telling them that Luis Suarez was going to be bought by Barcelona, and that Liverpool were rubbish. Liverpool are great, my two said. Liverpool have... well... Dad! Dad! Who else plays for Liverpool?

Computer games have deprived them of a proper upbringing to date, you see. But joy of joys, I spent the early part of Saturday telling them about their new-found heroes. Who's the 2nd best player, Dad? Steven Gerrard, boys. Who's the 3rd, Dad? Daniel Sturridge, boys. What songs do they sing about them, Dad? Poetry in motion, tra-lalalala! Come lunchtime they were ready. For once, they were almost watching as I tuned in on my laptop. They huddled round for as long as two seven year olds can in the circumstances, as often as they could muster.

And it dawned on me. Can you imagine growing up and being first acquainted with the club at this point in time? When the side look so, well, bonkers? There was a move just before half time when I actually burst out laughing. One touch, and completely impossible to defend against. It made me dizzy watching it. Bonkers.

And it dawned on me. That's the kind of thing I grew up with. The quality of football I was first acquainted with, albeit only from time to time. Now it's every week, of course. But in a modern twitterverse, where everything runs at double time, I suppose that's only natural. Bonkers is the norm.

This morning the first thing my boys talked to me about was Luis Suarez. For that alone, I'll be grateful to Brendan Rodgers for the rest of my days. 

my (also) 7 year old twins keep asking why did we let the other team score goals...I have no answer really

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 01:02:50 pm »
Does everybody have twins?

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:07 pm »
my (also) 7 year old twins keep asking why did we let the other team score goals...I have no answer really

Tell them it's just kindness.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »
Does everybody have twins?

I had kittens. About 3.30pm on Saturday.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
I had kittens. About 3.30pm on Saturday.
Congratulations.  All the best.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:30 pm »
I was forty six years old on Saturday. I had a busy day with work, and then family. My parents came to visit, and I was spoiled rotten by them, my lovely wife, and (to continue the breeder bragging in this thread) my three beautiful children. The kids are all reds whether they like it or not; the two girls are literally Red - Poppy and Scarlett.

Anyhow, Saturday afternoon was a busy day of arrivals and presents and whatnot, so that suddenly it was 3.30pm. I started to sneak a look at my phone, but my Dad beat me to it, and told me, with a wry smile (old timer Bluenose, now with a season ticket for PNE), that Liverpool were losing 2-1. I just shrugged. I shrugged because I felt like I did when I was six, or maybe sixteen; that assumption that we would pull it back and win. Aside from the odd spell under Rafa, it's been nearly thirty years since I've had that level of confidence in the team.

Anyway, Saturday afternoon I got reacquainted with another old habit; I got a lump of limestone and some tools for stone carving. This was something I tried a few years ago, but I sort of lost interest and I kind of lacked time. But on Saturday afternoon I got settled in at the shed at the end of the garden, put the radio on, put the overalls and the goggles on, picked up my hammer and my chisel, and I started knocking lumps out of this shapeless block of stone. Meanwhile, the boys with the Liverbird Upon Their Chests systematically took Cardiff to pieces. Dust. And maybe a few chips off the old block?

Anyhoo, Saturday afternoon I got reacquainted with another old habit, things had begun to take shape on the pitch and on my workbench. Old habits die hard. There's still some life left in this old dog. And that old bird.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »
A few random thoughts:

I like that Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling hold each other to account on the pitch. There's clearly affection for each other but if you're not doing the right thing you're gunna cop an earful.

The off the pitch rule after medical assistance I think is there for very good reason. To stop cowards feigning injury in an effort to waste time. Really when it comes down to it it's nobodies fault but their own. Neither player actually needed medical assistance. If that happened to us my vitriol would not be at the rule but rather the players for their stupidity in not thinking about the consequences of their actions.

Some breathtaking football that comes at a cost, it only takes things to be a little off for us to concede but against Cardiff things were just a little off.

The defence was sitting too deep afraid of Cardiff's pace but worse early was the pressing on our left hand side, it looked like there was a a breakdown in communication between Agger, Allen, Gerrard and Flanagan that afforded Cardiff way too much time and space on the ball.

All in all another brilliant game from our men in red.

To be fair Theofile Catherine took a Suarez volley straight in the face and needed treatment to check that he wasn't concussed. Head injuries are very sensitive and I think there should be some sort of rule for mandatory checkup, especially after the Lloris episode against Lukaku. Mutch also got hit by Suarez in the crown jewels on the free kick and was just winded. I think it was OUR physio who came on to help him, but he clearly didn't get any assistance from him as far as I could tell; the physio simply hovered around him without him asking for assistance so its not like he was wasting time.

I can understand telling Theofile Catherine to leave the field, but Mutch was a bit harsh.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »
I love it how Brendan is so active during games and has a massive influence throughout. His comments about playing too deep and rectifying it for the second half are spot-on as well. He seems to be an awfully good reader of the game! I can't wait to see him tinkering during the CL ties next year!

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 02:23:51 pm »
Any red who watched this one will tell you that that was a match where we would've normally capitulated and finished with an embarrassing defeat. We've seen it so many times over the years, so much so that until recently we would be actually half expecting to get beat when we traveled to these teams fighting relegation. The one thing that impressed me most, was how we steadfastly refused to panic and/or deviate from Brendan's plan, each time the ball went in our net, we simply kicked off and started again, the belief each player had in their team mates and manager was obvious to see and as a supporter it's fucking glorious.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 02:38:10 pm »
I read a stat today that Liverpool have conceded 3 goals on 5 occasions this season in the league.
We have 10 points in those 5 games.

Gloriously Bonkers.

Just plain glorious.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2014, 06:44:38 pm »
Well then - what to say about all this lot. Madness, Bonkers, Certifiable Insanity? You go a goal down and you think 'they shouldn't have done that'. You equalize (naturally). They go a goal up again and you think ' they really shouldn't have done that'.

I'm not sure what the right description is. Confidence, Inner Belief or (my favourite) Attitude.

It’s also, as previously explored by Royhendo and PhaseOfPlay in this superb thread, what led to plenty of Manchester United’s success over the years. Today’s game wasn’t at Anfield, but the premise is the same. The goal is to make the likes of Cardiff, mired in the relegation zone after 30 games entirely on merit, play at your level, because they can’t.
I used to play a lot of Bridge to a good level and an important aspect was 'palooka bashing'. You'd turn up at a tournament and you would know the good pairs playing. When you sat down against the others you bashed them. Attack, Attack, Attack. Force them into making close decisions - they weren't very good so they'd make a lot of mistakes. Attitude - that's what that is - some would say arrogance, It works in football as well. Completely agree with the United comparison. They were the ultimate 'palooka bashers'. If you were a team in the bottom half you'd get bashed - and what's more, you knew you would get bashed. With all those league titles the soak only took 2 European Cups. Why? Those sides weren't brilliant footballing magicians. Good - Yes. Nothing special though. Wingers, lots of bodies in the box - 'palooka bashing' at it's best. Play a good European side at it rarely worked.

Well. we've got attitude now.

And it's absolutely, bloody marvelous.
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »
It seemed a long wait from the OT win to the Cardiff match and we started off as though we had forgotten all our good defensive work in that Sunday win. Nowadays though it's more of an irritant than the despair I used to feel as yet another lowly team raised their game and took leads.

We gradually clicked into gear and the first goal was a delightful move as Glen showed his old attacking instincts and glided in behind the full back to set up any of the three red shirts waiting. Luis,of course, was first at the table,his spoon at the ready to gobble up the chance.

More irritation as Campbell walks through us but Skrtel is at centre forward again to claim the equaliser.I noticed on a rerun that when Luis scored our third at OT Martin was almost alongside him! How many will he score this season? I think at least one more in this form.

The second half was one way traffic as we owned the ball and their manager's moan that our 3rd was a crucial goal scored when they were down by 2 was clutching at straws. We were always going to take the lead and the spell of passing before Luis smashed in the 4th seemed to last for 3 or 4 minutes. We were imperious by now.

Sometimes we can cry with tears of joy when very happy but I found myself laughing out loud at some of the moves around their penalty box and the sight of Sakho charging forward with the ball into a Cardiff half devoid of red shirts before overhitting his pass to Luis on the right was hilarious. The whole squad are hell bent on getting forward.

Have we won any game 6-3, home or away? FC Syon in the Cup Winners Cup rings a bell.

Great memory F.Nick.  Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYjwXpAiZhA

We won 8-4 on agg.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Almo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:19 pm »
As everyone's chipping in with, I'll ad to the tales of LFC kids, although I don't have twins. Had trouble explaining to my two and a half year old why we weren't playing in red this week, away kits seemed to be beyond him, but he still sang tra lala lala which brings a massive smile to my face.

The stand out thing from that game for me was Sturridge's performance. He doesn't exactly go under the radar, but playing alongside one of the world's greatest players will always leave you a little unsung. I thought it was the perfect strikers display, i really think he has everything, so much more than just a good finisher. He's got tricks, skill and movement, but I also love his passing. He often receives the ball deep and spreads the play beautifully.

Can't wait for the next game now, don't care how we win but it will feel very weird if we only score one or two....

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 11:03:39 pm »
I was forty six years old on Saturday. I had a busy day with work, and then family. My parents came to visit, and I was spoiled rotten by them, my lovely wife, and (to continue the breeder bragging in this thread) my three beautiful children. The kids are all reds whether they like it or not; the two girls are literally Red - Poppy and Scarlett.

Anyhow, Saturday afternoon was a busy day of arrivals and presents and whatnot, so that suddenly it was 3.30pm. I started to sneak a look at my phone, but my Dad beat me to it, and told me, with a wry smile (old timer Bluenose, now with a season ticket for PNE), that Liverpool were losing 2-1. I just shrugged. I shrugged because I felt like I did when I was six, or maybe sixteen; that assumption that we would pull it back and win. Aside from the odd spell under Rafa, it's been nearly thirty years since I've had that level of confidence in the team.

Anyway, Saturday afternoon I got reacquainted with another old habit; I got a lump of limestone and some tools for stone carving. This was something I tried a few years ago, but I sort of lost interest and I kind of lacked time. But on Saturday afternoon I got settled in at the shed at the end of the garden, put the radio on, put the overalls and the goggles on, picked up my hammer and my chisel, and I started knocking lumps out of this shapeless block of stone. Meanwhile, the boys with the Liverbird Upon Their Chests systematically took Cardiff to pieces. Dust. And maybe a few chips off the old block?

Anyhoo, Saturday afternoon I got reacquainted with another old habit, things had begun to take shape on the pitch and on my workbench. Old habits die hard. There's still some life left in this old dog. And that old bird.

Apologies for not adding to the round table, but that was a brilliant post. (and congratulations!)
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2014, 08:54:03 am »
Bonkers is the norm.

Cheering on Man U tonight. Bonkers... the world is stood on it's head.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:57 am »

First time since the '85 Cup Final.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:11 am »
First time since the '85 Cup Final.

I'm vaguely remember being at a birthday party when that was on and still getting annoyed by United celebrations! :D

I don't think I've ever wanted them to win a game. The closest I can think of was being at Anfield on the opening day of 89/90 and they announced United had beaten Arsenal 4-1 and it got a pretty big cheer.

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 09:22:03 am »

More like the world turned upside down

Listen to me and you shall hear, news hath not been this thousand year:
    Since Herod, Caesar, and many more, you never heard the like before.
    Holy-dayes are despis'd, new fashions are devis'd.
    Old Christmas is kicked out of Town
    Yet let's be content, and the times lament, you see the world turn'd upside down.

Listen to me and you shall hear, Liverpool fans have nought to fear.
    Since Herod, Caesar, and many more, Brendan now, lays down the law
    Holy-dayes are despis'd, new league tables are now devis'd.
    Old Gin Soak is kicked out of Town
    Yet let's be content, and the times lament, you see the world turn'd upside down.
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:59 pm »
The variety of our goals scored says a lot, some genuinely world class football in terms of patient possession before making a decisive pass, continued threat from set pieces and a counter attacking goal with a wonderful long pass from Johnson that showed again our forward line's pace and rutheless finishing. In possession I thought especially after 25 minutes we were outstanding, second-half we were brilliant.

And that was in the face of Cardiff trying to win at a number's game by going 3 vs. 2 with their centre-backs against our forwards. Early on we were somewhat crowded but their system actually had more luck for them going forward, as their forward players found far too much space around our defence. Their second goal was a shocker for us, Campbell in between several of our lads and able to run and shoot in our area, a very poor and quite unneccessary goal to concede.

Our defence is by no means bad and is perhaps effected by the tactical changes we make that are designed to make the midfield and attack function best. Certainly the width Cardiff had with wing backs meant Allen and Henderson had a difficult job also covering midfield, with Gerrard some way exposed early on and the centre-backs unable to help with two forwards against them. Solskjaer was quite smart. Ultimately, though, it was Rodgers' cornerstone - dominating the ball as a means to the end of creative attacking play - that got us through this. That and the huge confidence that runs through the side, always sure they can score again regardless of opposition.