Author Topic: Round Table: Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6  (Read 14817 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Round Table: Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »
There is no way we are not everyone's favourite second team. No way. We are hilarious.

On this occasion, we gave them a head start, twice, ushering average players through our defence with an almost courtly deference. No, please. After you. Oh, you want to go that way? Be with you in a minute. Dan Agger and Jon Flanagan appeared not to have met before. Very odd, and a little unsettling.

Luckily, we are searing in the other direction and not half bad in between. Cardiff were a little unmanned for our second but those are the rules and after that, the Suarez and Sturridge Show took centre stage. Then we gave them a little glimmer towards the end, where suddenly maybe the three points weren't entirely pocketed, and perhaps an unlikely comeback might be on the cards. And then we laugh, and Suarez bullies his way through to another goal, teasing both Marshall and Sterling in the process.

Martin Skrtel. Two goals and an assist. We are fucking hilarious.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table: Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »
Look back 18 months or so and it’s suddenly becoming easier to see the return of the red nets and the old ‘This Is Anfield’ sign as less about mere symbolism on the part of a new manager trying to connect with greatness and more about Brendan Rodgers simply starting as he meant to go on. Remember what Bob Paisley said about that sign? It was something to the effect of: “Playing here lifts good pros, puts the bad’uns under pressure. We counted…there were more bad pros than good ‘uns. So the sign went up”. That’s not meant as a slight on the professionalism of Cardiff City’s players, it’s more about what I said when Liverpool beat them 3-1 at Anfield in December to go top of the table for Christmas:

One of the things that I’m increasingly loving about Rodgers’ team is that they give the likes of Cardiff very little, they make them play at their level (what is it that Bob Paisley once said about the ‘This Is Anfield, sign, there are more bad teams than good?)

It’s also, as previously explored by Royhendo and PhaseOfPlay in this superb thread, what led to plenty of Manchester United’s success over the years. Today’s game wasn’t at Anfield, but the premise is the same. The goal is to make the likes of Cardiff, mired in the relegation zone after 30 games entirely on merit, play at your level, because they can’t. They’re not good enough. And the truth is that, for the first half-hour or so today, Liverpool didn’t do that. The passing was inexplicably sloppy, Cardiff were given too much space in midfield and around our box, and we were made to pay for it. For me, today was less about individual errors than the Fulham or Swansea games and more about poor team organisation at times, and that’s probably more of a worry in some respects. And yet for roughly the last hour, and in particular the second-half, Liverpool were imperious. Cardiff barely got a sniff, of the ball or our goal, and I can only imagine what it must feel like to play above yourselves, go ahead twice against one of the best teams in the League and still ship 6 goals. It must be utterly devastating and demoralising, like managing to headbutt a hole in a brick wall only to wind up in the emergency room with concussion (it might even prompt a grown man to answer a standard post-match question by acting like a spoiled little bitch, yes, bitch - for shame if a Liverpool manager ever did that).

Cause and effect. Once, not too long ago, Liverpool struggled to score once in games. That was the effect; the cause was, among other things, £54m tied up in West Ham’s finest, Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing. Those players were jettisoned by Rodgers and in their place came the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge, came an opportunity for Raheem Sterling, came ability and balls and sheer talent - cause. 82 goals - effect. I’m not going to go too much into individual performances right now, all I’ll say is that we scored 6 goals and it isn’t even the best we’ve played this month. Fuck it, kick back and, like me, grab a beer (Sol is my tipple of choice tonight), flick on the telly (it’s a long time since I’ve watched Match of the Day as much as I have this season) and feast your eyes. The red nets and the sign, it’s getting easier to see their return as something shot through with meaning and purpose. It may be even easier 8 matches and 2 months from now.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

royhendo

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:35:21 pm »
Some people think I'm bonkers,
But I just think I'm free,
Man I'm just living my life,
Ain't nothing crazy about me.

Some people pay for thrills,
But I get mine for free,

Bonkers.

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »
On a weekend that started with my twins asking their mum to call me at work so they can ask if they can have Liverpool strips, I dunno why, it all started to seem strangely normal. Their little friend, a little Manchester United fan who always wears his Manchester United top, had been telling them that Luis Suarez was going to be bought by Barcelona, and that Liverpool were rubbish. Liverpool are great, my two said. Liverpool have... well... Dad! Dad! Who else plays for Liverpool?

Computer games have deprived them of a proper upbringing to date, you see. But joy of joys, I spent the early part of Saturday telling them about their new-found heroes. Who's the 2nd best player, Dad? Steven Gerrard, boys. Who's the 3rd, Dad? Daniel Sturridge, boys. What songs do they sing about them, Dad? Poetry in motion, tra-lalalala! Come lunchtime they were ready. For once, they were almost watching as I tuned in on my laptop. They huddled round for as long as two seven year olds can in the circumstances, as often as they could muster.

And it dawned on me. Can you imagine growing up and being first acquainted with the club at this point in time? When the side look so, well, bonkers? There was a move just before half time when I actually burst out laughing. One touch, and completely impossible to defend against. It made me dizzy watching it. Bonkers.

And it dawned on me. That's the kind of thing I grew up with. The quality of football I was first acquainted with, albeit only from time to time. Now it's every week, of course. But in a modern twitterverse, where everything runs at double time, I suppose that's only natural. Bonkers is the norm.

This morning the first thing my boys talked to me about was Luis Suarez. For that alone, I'll be grateful to Brendan Rodgers for the rest of my days. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:53:22 pm by royhendo »

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:12:47 pm »
Amazing stuff being dished up at the moment. Winning runs at just the right time of the season is so unusual.Even in Rafas 86 point season we faltered before going on a great run but coming up short so I'm really not used to this type of excitement. It's brilliant. Outstandingly so. 

So much to compute though. The speed at which we went from looking like top four only to possible champions, the fact that I didn't think Suarez played very well by his standards yesterday and yet gets a hat trick and an assist. The growing sense that peters is getting his point across . Sturrige made reference on bbc to the fact that he got real benefit and confidence from speaking with him.

This team looks so in control of its own destiny it really is scary. It's alien to think we're becoming unstoppable but every evidence I see is telling me we are at this moment in time exactly that. 
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 05:28:00 pm »
Inevitable. That's the word that kept coming to mind. It was inevitable that we will be given a hard game, and even more inevitable that whatever challenge you throw at Liverpool, they will rise to it.

Scoring goals does that to you. You can see the belief when we go forward. It only comes from scoring so many. They get 2, fine. We get 5. They get 3, fine. We get 6. It is bonkers. It is ridiculous. But Liverpool has never been a normal club.

I missed the glory days. I have seen Manchester United rake up title after title. There was something inevitable about that too. Yes, they will get the equaliser and a few more. You'd be fuming at the opposition. Get a hold of the ball you'd say! They are there for the taking, get at their defense! But no, they'd capitulate and it'd kill your soul. Ferguson celebrating with that all to familiar grin. Manchester United players piling on top of each other. Another league title. Creeping closer to the hallowed 19th title. Killing you a little each time.

Watching us yesterday reminded me of Manchester United. Maybe we switched souls at Old Trafford. There was the same inevitability of getting the equalisers. Unsung heroes rising to the occasion. Players playing above their potential. Young kids playing like seasoned professionals. And the pressure. The relentless pressure which made Cardiff buckle. They fought, but it wasn't good enough. Because you cannot stop this red machine. Other sides will look at that at shake at their boots.

This side feels like a title winning side. It'd be a damn shame if they go trophyless. But then again the joy they bought to me and so many others is perhaps more than a trophy. They got Liverpool fans on the same side and god knows we needed it.
Justice for the 96

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »
We were always going to do well weren't we? Especially with similarities to last year our fitness peaks 2nd half of the season.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »
Let's make one thing absolutely certain. We are not The Entertainers. I mean, we are, but fuck them media journos comparing us to Keegan's Newcastle. Like Brendan said in post match conference, we aren't 'open' at the back. We do not leak goals. Reading the post match thread here, I saw a lot of posts mentioning we need to 'sort out the defense'. That is bollocks. What we are doing is making individual mistakes. Its not about defensive organisation. It's about Joe Allen not missing a simple pin point toe poke to Flanno under pressure, it's about better communication between Flanno and Agger when a wing forward cuts inside. And it's about not switching off and losing your marker in central defense. Brendan sounded a little peeved yesterday when questioned about the 'brittle' defense. His reply was a terse 'though we conceded 3 poor goals, I thought our defense was fine over the course of 90 mins'. That's the 3rd time he has highlighted individual errors costing us goals. Maybe it is time to bring back Sakho. Maybe Flanno needs to be better utilized in tandem with Aly rather than him starting every game. I don't know how we will completely curb these lapses, but I am sure Brendan will have a solution for us.

Another thing. Formations do not dictate the way you play. Players do. Yes, we started a diamond in the 3rd consecutive away game but the important thing to note is we beat 3 teams with 3 contrasting strategies and formations with the same diamond lineup, only changed at the tip. Southampton were hard pressing 4-2-3-1 with lot of movement between the lines. After a nervy first half, we got used to their movement and snuffed them out. Away. United deployed a strategy to play roughshod over our midfield, keep the ball wide to Mata, Janujaz, Evra and Rafael and cross into dangerous areas. They never had a chance. Away. That leads us to the 5-3-2 or Cardiff. Again, they tried to sit back and hit us on the counter with the pace of their forward players. After a couple of blips, we were fairly comfortable throughout the game. Diamond is not a problem. If the personnel do the jobs assigned to them, we will win 9/10 games.

I'm being spoiled by this team. I was sitting in a bar, full of Chelsea and Arsenal fans who wanted to piss on our parade and were laughing at me when Cardiff's second went in. The jibes started. "Typical Liverpool", " Finally, the collapse begins", " Choke on that !" My reaction bemused them I think. All I did was, raise my beer glass in salute of their wit, gave a cheeky grin and went back to watching the game. Suffice to say, they understood my point once Suarez scored the 4th.

This is not Liverpool of the last 5 years. We are not mentally fragile. Defeat is not an option. David Moyes tries, we do. I have never in my support of 15 odd years, seen such unabashed abandon to approach the oppositions half. When we attack, we make opposition defenses shit themselves. It was not this brilliant under Ged. It was a calm, organized torture under Rafa. This is just load up the spitfires and bang bang bang. Pummel them into submission. Cannot begin to explain how much I am enjoying this season. Win the league or not, it's a joyride.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 06:12:40 pm »
For all the pre match talk of us being a conter attacking side, the first goal was pure "death by football".

Near 20 passes sucked the Cardiff players back and fourth like the tide, and eventually, the wonderful ball from Henderson created a chance.

Watching sky, the utter curmudgeon Trevor Francis blamed their left back for being asleep.  Personally I thought it was just a perfectly weighted through ball and them being pulled all over the place.

One of our best goals of the season.

Oh, and Roy, I'm experiencing the same thing with my twins.  Daddy, do Liverpool always win?  Reply? Most of the time boys, most of the time.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 06:27:12 pm »
In the words of Roxette "Hello, you fool, I love you - come on join the joyride".

Sums it up for me.

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 06:42:53 pm »
I'm in Vegas for the weekend, and I watched this one at the pub I last went to for the FA cup final.  But even the combination of the superstition I develop when I'm in this town (I've got a shite gut, it turns out), going down to a sloppy early goal, and leaking a suspiciously similar second couldn't make me worried.  This team- though it has got me doing esurient statistics, hysterical historical comparisons, and almost concupiscent competition scouting in the run-in- engenders a weird sort of detachment while I'm actually watching the game.  I feel almost like a neutral at times.  Or like I'm not watching a contest.  An EXHIBITION match, in the literal sense. 
There was a time, about a month ago, when I was a bag of nerves during the games.  It seems almost daft now.  When the second Cardiff goal went in today I simply explained to my disinterested girlfriend how we would actually now need our inevitable third goal to win this, and not just to satisfy a voracious away support.  Not that it'd be the last, obviously.

I don't want to suggest I've ever been happy to see Liverpool scored on, but the thought crossed my mind at the second Cardiff goal that, good, Liverpool wouldn't be allowed to coast, at least not for a while.  Or the the Welsh effrontery would inspire the lesson it deserved. 
And the players duly responded.  Martin Skrtel was pissed he was going to have to have his name appear in sentences with the word brittle.  He's been eating Boniva like Skittles over the last two months, and letting in a few is much of a Mutchness when you're spending half the game on a hattrick. 
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

royhendo

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 06:52:04 pm »
Oh, and Roy, I'm experiencing the same thing with my twins.  Daddy, do Liverpool always win?  Reply? Most of the time boys, most of the time.

;D

They're doing my job for me. The talk of the playground, the Tricky Reds.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »
This morning the first thing my boys talked to me about was Luis Suarez. For that alone, I'll be grateful to Brendan Rodgers for the rest of my days. 
:thumbup

Lovely that mate.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:06:40 pm »
Having been invited to watch the game in the pub with my lad and his mates, by kick-off we were already 3-pints in to a great afternoon. Some of the lads pop to the bookies next door and I said to my lad go with them and put a fiver on Skrtel to score any time, "nah can't be arsed" was his regrettable reply.  The twat :)

One nil, one each, two one, oh fuck its gonna be one of those games isnt it. The lads were shaken, I was never in doubt, "how fucking dare they put us under pressure, how fucking dare they, we'll fucking annihilate them now lads don't worry". 6 goals and 6 pints later
Poetry in motion, tra-lalalala!
echoed around the pub in joyous melody.

I mean fucking hell how ruthless has this team become? Certainly there is again some questions about our defending but I said to the lads I don't think a single player has had a bad game since the draw with WBA. That's some run of 7 or 8 out of 10 performances!

Again we also ran the risk of losing a player with Stevie carrying that yellow for a precariously long time for my liking but again BR see's it out.

These are indeed great times Reds, despite our blips during the season this truly is a year to recollect. We are phenomenal.

You just can't wait for the next game can you?

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 07:15:07 pm »
On a weekend that started with my twins asking their mum to call me at work so they can ask if they can have Liverpool strips, I dunno why, it all started to seem strangely normal. Their little friend, a little Manchester United fan who always wears his Manchester United top, had been telling them that Luis Suarez was going to be bought by Barcelona, and that Liverpool were rubbish. Liverpool are great, my two said. Liverpool have... well... Dad! Dad! Who else plays for Liverpool?

Computer games have deprived them of a proper upbringing to date, you see. But joy of joys, I spent the early part of Saturday telling them about their new-found heroes. Who's the 2nd best player, Dad? Steven Gerrard, boys. Who's the 3rd, Dad? Daniel Sturridge, boys. What songs do they sing about them, Dad? Poetry in motion, tra-lalalala! Come lunchtime they were ready. For once, they were almost watching as I tuned in on my laptop. They huddled round for as long as two seven year olds can in the circumstances, as often as they could muster.

And it dawned on me. Can you imagine growing up and being first acquainted with the club at this point in time? When the side look so, well, bonkers? There was a move just before half time when I actually burst out laughing. One touch, and completely impossible to defend against. It made me dizzy watching it. Bonkers.

And it dawned on me. That's the kind of thing I grew up with. The quality of football I was first acquainted with, albeit only from time to time. Now it's every week, of course. But in a modern twitterverse, where everything runs at double time, I suppose that's only natural. Bonkers is the norm.

snap!!!...well red,ive got 4 boys,2 of which are twins,and only this evening at dinner we were talking around the table about the game and matches to come and they started asking about the glory days and i stopped them in their tracks by saying ,lads yesterday was then -this is now yere time,yere time to look with pride at the team of today and walk tall in school and on the estate and tell the other lads who have mocked you and slated our great club that we are back and not only are we back but we"re back for good!!...to paraphrase a scene from the lord of the rings..."the age of the manc is over,the age of the red is here!!!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:12 pm »
It's a strange thing to have the best attacking duo in the league, even in the whole of Europe. I remember we had it when I was at school. You just know we will score. And when SAS score 4 goals between them, it's not even surprising. We've seen it before, haven't we? Another hattrick for Suarez? How many is it now? That reaction is telling. We're losing count and it's great. Anyone surprised we scored six against Cardiff? I'm not.

I just hope we can keep going. I have an image of how I want things to turn out. It's us against our direct opposites. About a month from now. And when I read that people had sung Luis Garcia's song during the Cardiff game, well, it fits well with the image. In the mean time, I'm just enjoying the ride.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:20 pm »
The strange case of Liverpool FC. Given our recent performances, the start that we made was pretty average by the standards that have been set. We gave Cardiff City far too much space and time on the ball and they made us pay for it. They started pretty well and arguably took us by surprise. The first goal was a case of us losing possession in a key area. The second was a case of the team simply allowing Cardiff to almost walk the ball into our net. And yet, there wasn't much room for panic.

The team didn't look worried. They didn't try to rush things too much. The team has been behind in games before this season and they've come out fighting. That hasn't always been the case of course this season (we lost 3-1 to Hull City for example) but the fact that we've done it a few times suggests that we're capable of bringing the game back in our favour. It shows the character and the belief within the team. Cardiff City fans must have been pinching themselves when they took the lead for a second time. They must have had that thought that it was going to be a day where they would get a 'famous' victory. However, SAS; or as I like to call them: Skrtel and Suarez, had different plans.

Despite a shaky start, we began to control and dominate the game. What has impressed me most is the response from our team to going behind. The mentality is there to keep going and keep working to achieve things. You sense that the players knew that it wasn't a good enough start and that they needed to get themselves back into the game and get three vital points. The second half performance was far better though. We kept possession. It was almost like saying to Cardiff City: it is our ball now and you're not going to get it back so easily. It must be very tiring to chase the game when you're losing and given their form this season the frustration was obviously going to sink in. They're in a relegation battle and the chance of taking three points was slipping away from them with each passing second. They had been ahead twice but we came back. In the end, we began to pick them off.

I wouldn't even say that this was our best performance of the season. I mean, it just goes to show that your performance can be mixed but you can still score a ton of goals. We conceded three goals but we managed to score six. They had three shots on target and scored each attempt. To be fair, even though we didn't start well, you have to give some credit to them. They scored some pretty good goals for a side that has struggled to score goals this season. As I wrote in another thread, I don't think that the defence can be entirely blamed for the goals that we conceded. I would possibly say that their third goal could be put down to really poor defending from the actual defence. The other two would be up for debate. Either way, we have conceded a fair chunk of goals this season but at the other end we've been scoring for fun. We also just had three away games in a row and won all three. In the two games prior to this we had kept two clean sheets.

In terms of our goals: the first Luis Suarez goal was an example of the team just being patient and then knowing when to play the ball and create a clear chance. The ball from Jordan Henderson to Glen Johnson was simply outstanding. All Glen Johnson had to do was make sure that his pass met Luis Suarez. The second Suarez goal was also nicely worked. But hey? What about Luis Suarez. He scored two goals that any poacher would be proud of. And how about Sturridge? He played a part in that second Luis Suarez goal. He must be telepathic. His back heel assist to Luis Suarez was unreal and whether or not if he genuinely knew Suarez was there isn't the main point. It is the fact that we're getting players into the right areas and asking questions of the oppositions defence.

The final goal might just have been my favourite though. We are winning the game 5-3 and yet Luis Suarez is persistent in wanting to get the ball and drive towards goal. He forced an error from their player and once he was free from him you just knew that Suarez was going to score. Raheem Sterling provided an option for Suarez. He could have played it to Sterling but it was always unlikely that Suarez was going to pass the ball. He had the chance of getting a hat-trick and with his ability he was likely to score. The beauty in this is that the game was already over. We had won. It was 5-3. Yet the team wants to score more. People often complain about teams going ahead and parking the bus. The same cannot be said of our team over the course of this season. We have scored goals and decided to ignore the bus and go for a drive in a Ferrari.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 07:31:54 pm »
"2-1, to the sheep shaggers!"

Brilliant, see! - there is still humour in Association Football. All is not lost.

Football - Yes, we did what we do and we do what we did.  Its what we do and thats how we play......... *paragraphs*
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:30 pm »
This team- though it has got me doing esurient statistics

I had to look that word up.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 08:38:12 pm »
Tell you, E2K posts every week=Liverpool FC =League Champions.

Special mention to Nativity in Black,  I have enjoyed all your posts since you joined, and the one above is a belter.  :wave

Don't have much to contribute to the thread, except to say, while Luis gets the plaudits, just how good is Daniel Sturridge?  And how world class will he be in a year/2 years from now?  We all know Suarez, his talent and his ability.  Someone in another thread talked about even when he was on his all fours in their box, 3 of their players still didn't get the ball off him, next thing he's up, away and creating havoc again.  He is irrepressible and a genius.

But Sturridge?  Is there a better natural athlete in the League?  I mean an ATHLETE.  Not an athlete.  He is Usain Bolt or Carl Lewis  to Tyson Gay, Donovan Bailey or Dwayne Chambers.  I mean the last three are athletes, but the former 2 are ATHLETES.

Its that languid look when he takes a defender on.  You know, like he'd rather be sitting out the back having a beer with the fella. Then, his eyes light up, he shrugs the shoulder, and he's GONE. In a millisecond.  Effortless.  I haven't seen a more balanced, beautiful runner, I think ever. And I remember John Barnes.

Then there's the speed of thought and movement he has.  His runs are exceptional.  Its easy to see in the goal he scored Saturday.. but there are few players around with the vision, pace and anticipation he has.

And the finishing technique.  It wasn't displayed on Saturday, but he has shown it numerous times this year..  Everton, Arsenal etc etc

He is beyond doubt the most exciting prospect in English football. Luckily he goes under the radar a bit because of the genius he plays alongside.  But the most improved player in the game this year?  My vote is with Daniel Sturridge.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »
We're basically hilarious to watch, but for all the right reasons this time.

You know.. We ship two or three goals on a regular basis and usually that's not the most effective way to win the league. Yet our strike force is so absolutely astonishing, we're like Russian soldiers on steroids when going forward: so quick and so lethal, it's incredible to see really. At this rate we'll beat Chelsea's 102 goals four years ago and our goals are actually spreaded out over the games better than Chelsea's back then.

And with such attacking prowess we can go quite some distance.

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 12:13:58 am »
The game summed up our ridiculous, hilarious, bonkers season in more ways than one...

Fragile defence vs weak side - we let in three goals at Hull and Stoke; two teams who have been in a relegation scrap all season. Two at bottom-club Fulham. Three at home to a struggling Swansea and two at Anfield against an average Aston Villa. Now, another three conceded against a relegation-threatened side in the form of Cardiff.

Breathtaking attacking play, featuring lots of goals - another mark of our season. For all the five and four goal hauls we have produced, this was the first time this season we netted six in a game.

SAS in tandem - I've lost count of how often these two have set one another up for goals this season. Twice more today, one apiece. Telepathic.

It's absolutely amazing when you think back to how many of our games in 2013/14 have featured all of the above. But one thing that has become more prevalent in recent games that I was unsure of until then was our mental strength. As has no doubt been said many times in the last 24 hours, if we went a goal down in this fixture last season then heads would have dropped and it would have been a shock if we came back to win. Watch the reactions of the Liverpool players after both Cardiff goals though, it's hilarious (well, conceding isn't, but the reaction is); the lads just oozed confidence that they would go again and that all would, eventually, turn out well.

Eight games to go, five of which are at fortress Anfield and just three aways. To be in this position and that situation is fantastic. Bring it.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 12:22:10 am »
My grandson stopped watching late in the second half -- "we don't score enough goals, grandad!" I've been worn down by diminished expectations over the last few decades, but I have to admit, I like his attitude.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:25 am »
:thumbup

Lovely that mate.

Seconded. What its all about gets hit for six. Nice.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:00 am »

Good Move, I just assumed it was fake. Hell, id still like to see some proper ID.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 12:55:31 am »
My grandson stopped watching late in the second half -- "we don't score enough goals, grandad!" I've been worn down by diminished expectations over the last few decades, but I have to admit, I like his attitude.

I'm 20 and I wasn't even particularly impressed by the 6 goals we scored. Brendan Rodgers has altered my perceptions and expectations of football.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 01:02:18 am »
Some people think I'm bonkers,
But I just think I'm free,

Some people pay for thrills,
But I get mine for free,

Bonkers.

Change "Bonkers" to Bobbins," and the poem is well applicable to the Man United Round Table...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 01:10:45 am »

I had to give quite a long think to find an alliterative adjective there… and still couldn't quite.   
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 01:50:20 am »
Our BANZaI team of SaSaSaS will do the job
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 02:04:41 am »
Got nout insightful to add as usual, fantastic opening posts guys.

What I do wonder is why do people keep celebrating when they score against us? Come on, you know the drill, there's plenty more gonna happen here.
:D

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 03:10:39 am »

That's brilliant mate :)
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 03:19:17 am »
For all the pre match talk of us being a conter attacking side, the first goal was pure "death by football".

Near 20 passes sucked the Cardiff players back and fourth like the tide, and eventually, the wonderful ball from Henderson created a chance.

Watching sky, the utter curmudgeon Trevor Francis blamed their left back for being asleep.  Personally I thought it was just a perfectly weighted through ball and them being pulled all over the place.

One of our best goals of the season.

That ten minute period after Cardiff scored was some of the best football I've seen us play. It was up there with the Arsenal barrage. Majestic passing, sustained pressure and the inevitable goal achieved through a brilliant series of passing and movement. We walked it into the net.

I think it's fair to say that we all now have complete and utter confidence in this team. Even when trailing it really was only a matter of time. What an incredible time to be a Liverpool fan.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:30 am »
If we had scored 6 goals in any away game 2-3 years ago it would have been spoken about as one of if not the best results of the season. This one hardly makes the top 10!

In no particular order:
United 3-0
Everton 4-0
Arsenal 5-1
Spurs 5-0
Southampton 3-0
Norwich 5-1
Fulham 4-0
Stoke 5-3
United 1-0 (first win against a top 8 team, and united afterall)
Cardiff 6-3

Offline nightporter

• Nothing personal, but good riddance.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 03:44:33 am »
Brendan will know though that this defending won't do in the Champions League next season. We need to stop chopping and changing and purchase a quality right back and left back in my opinion.
'Vagiclean, huh? What's the matter, honey? Little extra cheese on the taco?'

'Price check on Vagiclean, aisle five. I repeat: price check on Vagiclean, aisle five. That's Vagiclean. We've got a customer down here with a full-on fallopian fungus. She's baking a loaf of bread and I think it's sourdough.'

Offline bharat4ever

• Boys Pen
  • Somewhere in India
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:16 am »
As the commentator on star sports said after Cardiff scored the first, "You may have just woken the beast". And the beast scored 6. Freakin 6. What a time to be a Liverpool fan! Get in!
YNWA

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 04:01:22 am »
Brendan will know though that this defending won't do in the Champions League next season. We need to stop chopping and changing and purchase a quality right back and left back in my opinion.

In the games where we've had to defend we've done exactly that though. We concede goals in the games where we know we will outscore the opponent

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:43 am »
So many great posts already in this thread, so I've not got much more to add other than two points.

- After all the talk above about you lads whose kids are starting to tune in to the exloits of the Reds this season... my little chap is just 8 months old and I feel terrible that he is missing out on what is one of the most enjoyable seasons of my lifetime.

- Suarez. 3 more goals. The guy is a diamond. Amazing player and feel so fortunate to be able to watch him play the game I love, let alone to play for the team I love. After those 3 goals he reached 28 goals this season and jumped Henry's amazing year in 05/06. He has already scored more goals than plenty of top goalscorers in previous seasons in the premier league (Henry 27 - 05/06, RVP 26 - last year, Henry 25 - 04/05, RvN 25 - 02/03, Henry 24 - 01/02, JFH 23 - 00/01, Berbatov/Tevez 20 - 10/11, Drogba 20 - 06/07, Anelka 19 - 08/09 and the list goes on in the 90s in particular) and is quickly approaching the rest (Shearer 31 & 34 in the 90s, Cole 34 in the 90s, CRonaldo 31 - 07/08, RVP 30 - 11/12, Henry 30 - 03/04, Kevin Phillips 30 in 99/00, Drogba 29 - 09/10). There's got to be a decent chance that he'll reach 35 this year and if/when he does - he's got to be considered in the same breath as those two lads swinging around the La Liga, doesn't he?

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 04:09:31 am »

We've already got a quality right back and an able deputy. Glen Johnson and Jon Flanagan are the names.

A lot of our goals have been due to individual errors, wipe those out and our defensive 'issues' wouldn't appear to be so bad. In the big games we have been fine defensively anyway.

If we want to maintain this irrepressible attacking approach we are just going to have to accept that our defenders will get burned from time to time. That's football and I'd much prefer that than the cagier approach that say Chelsea adopt.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline cookie-monster

• Anny Roader
  • Attack is the best form of defence
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:28 am »
My thought process after our 3d:

"it's his 6th right. wait. could it be? OMG i lost count of Skrtel goals!"
irc://irc.centralchat.net:6667/LFC

"Gentlemen, the screwballs have spoken!"  - The Simpsons