Author Topic: Re: John Henry's open letter to fans  (Read 165567 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: Re: John Henry's open letter to fans
« Reply #1480 on: September 10, 2012, 03:42:44 pm »
I've always got the feeling Tony had an axe to grind with FSG, no idea why

After the 'China buy Liverpool' headline im amazed he has the balls to talk about our ownership.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1481 on: September 10, 2012, 03:42:48 pm »
People should do their homework and look at what FSG have done with the Red Sox over the last 10 years or so. There are books out there you can read which give a good insight into the kind of people they are. All the things they are putting in place at LFC more than suggest they are here for a few more years yet and want the club to succeed. They've been having some teething problems alright over the last 2 years but they will learn from their mistakes, that's what these people have being doing their whole professional lives.

The current problems at the Red Sox are partly down to the fact that an era has come to end. The sabermetric moneyball idea is now old news in baseball - every team does it now and so the advantage is now gone. In football there are still big opportunities I think though. The problem FSG have had in Boston is that they couldn't keep ahead of the curve, other teams caught up and then overtook them. We're a few years off having to worry about that yet at LFC but it's something they should keep in mind. With the model they are putting in place you must never stand still

Good post. Although,you could also note that the Red Sox current form this season has been exacerbated by an injury crisis that has seen twenty five players go on the disabled list (the most of any club in 25 years), including their best hitter, three starting pitchers and their MVP runner-up left fielder.

I think it's safe to say that the H&G episode has changed the fortunes of this club, and it's supporters, forever.

Definitely. It's created a level of paranoia and suspicion amongst some that is unhealthy and coupled with a high degree of impatience.  I think from a collective fan psychology perspective, it will either take years for this sentiment to pass, or could very well fester into an increasingly divisive spirit.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1482 on: September 10, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »
After the 'China buy Liverpool' headline im amazed he has the balls to talk about our ownership.

showed his true colours during the Suarez debacle...I wouldn't be arsed asking Talksport Tony's opinion on the pies at Anfield following that 
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1483 on: September 10, 2012, 04:36:03 pm »
Find it funny when you said that. Not many were that 'concerned' about G&H at that time. So ideally that minority should have been up in arms about FSG but everyone is.

I don't know what point I am trying to make here, but that statement just doesn't sit well with me.

G&H were given their chance based on the information that was given, there were whispers in the woodwork - stories of past bankruptcies and leveraged buy outs, but ultimately we trusted those in charge thinking we knew what was needed for the way forward, looked at their successes with the baseball or hockey teams they owned and, possibly stupidly, gave them the benefit of the doubt until they gave us reason to otherwise.   ATM, FSG has done nothing to give us doubt, they havn't done much to gain trust either but I find it a good thing that they're not making promises they cant keep, I think it's too early to even suggest any relation with the 2 sales or their plans for the club, we (I) expected a bumpy road as soon as they revealed their knowledge of our sport, obviously not as bad as it turned out.

In terms of the sale, stories around the time seemed to hint towards Broughton ? securing a deal that was best for the future of LFC, not necessarily having a shiney new stadium as a condition for potential purchasers ? (at a time when the club was sinking like a lead weight), so to have owners that acknowledge something needed to be done about the stadium situation was a huge bonus for me.  We can hope they wasn't telling porkies but like I said above, they don't seem the owners that want to make promises they cant keep ?.  I don't think that we can expect statements like *back to winning the PL in 3 years* or *we have enough money to compete with anyone (IE City)* to be promises ?, seems more wishful thinking, goals or rolling a shit situation in glitter ?.

I think we need to consider our options at the time also, for those who say they got us for a quid ?, Huang, DIC, Lim, banks and a Manc were circling our dug grave and waiting for us to jump in, heard enough people on here that say "X player is only worth as much as someones willing to pay" and I think that rings true here, at the very least the alternatives were very sparse and to suggest some unknown could do a better job is a more than wishful thinking imo.

I guess what i'm trying to say is - we backed H&G until they shafted us and I believe FSG deserve the same, otherwise were gonna spend the rest of our days chasing owners out the door because they havn't lived up to expectations, when alternatives just don't appear to be present.

I believe though, that FSG need to do more and they need to learn quick, it's coming upto 2 years now ? and to be honest I think I expected more competency than this by now.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1484 on: September 11, 2012, 08:14:50 am »
I was literally on a plane leaving the country when this crap hit the fan so have returned as the hurricane has subsided.

I think the letter from JWH was ill considered, badly written and in parts incoherent.  He talks of clarity and planning but fails to elucidate.  There is no mention of stadium development or of board room changes.  In customer relations training the case of 'the bug letter' is often cited - that is what JWH's tome is a 'bug letter'.

It looked as if our new Director of Corporate Affairs had been bypassed and not consulted before publication which is worrying as Brendan Rodgers must be feeling he is in a similar position over transfers.

Literally on a plane?... could you elucidate?... a letter is a tome?... I have to say I find your post ill considered, badly written and in parts incoherent.

But anyway... how is that a 'bug letter'? I hadn't heard the term before but looking it up the 'bug letter' describes a standard pro-forma used to address customer concerns with a hand-written dismissive note attached saying "send this SOB the bedbug letter" or something similar. It's also (as with most of these things)  apocryphal: 

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/bedbug.asp.

It's a specific letter addressing specific concerns following the transfer window. Whether you agree with it or not at least have the decency to address the detail of the letter rather than pass us off with some lazy corporate training bollocks. Especially when you don't seem to understand the story.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #1485 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:09 am »
showed his true colours during the Suarez debacle...I wouldn't be arsed asking Talksport Tony's opinion on the pies at Anfield following that

I think his admiration for Dalglish is far deeper than his level of fandom for modern football, or the current form of the club. Can't begrudge him that, given what Dalglish has done for the club over th years, and of course in it's greatest time of need.

I like Tony actually, he comes off as someone who might be a bit bullish on twitter, but a great guy to sit down in a pub with a few beers and listen to.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1486 on: September 11, 2012, 08:27:47 am »
I think his admiration for Dalglish is far deeper than his level of fandom for modern football, or the current form of the club. Can't begrudge him that, given what Dalglish has done for the club over th years, and of course in it's greatest time of need.

I like Tony actually, he comes off as someone who might be a bit bullish on twitter, but a great guy to sit down in a pub with a few beers and listen to.

Indeed - only met him a few times but great to have a drink with.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

royhendo

« Reply #1487 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:51 am »

You do realise the same group of Chinese investors is currently transforming Inter Milan, don't you?

Their interest was very real, as, it seems, was their financial clout. That Broughton insisted on his own terms of engagement being followed is another matter.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1488 on: September 11, 2012, 09:35:25 am »
You do realise the same group of Chinese investors is currently transforming Inter Milan, don't you?

Their interest was very real, as, it seems, was their financial clout. That Broughton insisted on his own terms of engagement being followed is another matter.

But don't let that get in the way of a good headline!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: September 11, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

Didn't know that re the investors are now transforming Inter.  Now that is depressing.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: John Henry's open letter to fans
« Reply #1490 on: September 11, 2012, 10:12:44 am »
They have invested money in them (think was Ł55m for a 15% stake) but we have no idea if that deal is going to transform them or even turn out to be a good deal or not.

Offline Figsy Le Bon

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1491 on: September 11, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
Didn't know that re the investors are now transforming Inter.  Now that is depressing.

I wouldn't feel too depressed, I'm sure having their investment is small consolation to Inter fans for having to actually watch Serie A week-in, week-out. Remember when that was one of the best leagues in Europe?
"Get over here. Now. Might be advisable to wear brown trousers and a shirt the colour of blood." - Malcolm Tucker

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1492 on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:03 am »
Read an earlier post that all commercial activities are now undertaken by others as opposed to Ayre.  Don't really know what Ayre does on a day to day basis - he was a bit of a rent-a-quote earlier this Summer.  But at least Ayre's been lying low media wise lately, this can only be a positive.

No, he just disappears for a a while when something goes wrong. He did it last season while the Suarez thing was dragging. Great leader.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1493 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:35 am »

Without wanting to derail the thread, yes i read something like the fella from China (sorry cant remember his name) building Inter a new stadium for a 15% stake in the club which for Inter sounds like a great deal (and hopefully is another nail in the coffin for our own groundshare), but thats a very different deal to the one which was supposed to happen with us.

As for what happened with us, I dont doubt that there was some interest from China and that TB didnt just make it up, there was obviously some sustance to it, but his headline was premature to say the least. As for Broughtons terms of engagement, if you know something the rest of us dont feel free to share...
Thinking is overrated.

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #1494 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:00 am »
Forever is a big word to use.

I realize mate, but I just get the feel that for better or worse, things wont be the same again. I know I'm stating the obvious.

But reading around here, you get the feel that 'something' has changed.
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1495 on: September 11, 2012, 10:45:48 am »
Without wanting to derail the thread, yes i read something like the fella from China (sorry cant remember his name) building Inter a new stadium for a 15% stake in the club which for Inter sounds like a great deal (and hopefully is another nail in the coffin for our own groundshare), but thats a very different deal to the one which was supposed to happen with us.

Most of the stories seem to make out that they have paid for a 15% stake, and that they intend to then produce a stadium in partnership with Inter's other owners - not that they are paying for the stadium as well as the monetary investment in exchange for 15%.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: September 11, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »

Ex-Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has revealed he was surprised that his old club failed to approach him after the sacking of Kenny Dalglish in the summer.

"It was strange not to be approached. I know the club, the players, the Academy and I have even more experience now. We used to play so many important games that it seemed it was normal and it wasn't. People are talking about 'the past', but just a few years ago, Liverpool FC was number one in Europe."

This is just one of those things, among A LOT of other things which went on which just makes you wonder what is going on at the club and about the people in power,, whoever they might be,  and their influence.

Not AT LEAST talking to a top man being free is a sign of being unprofessional and nothing else. Either that, or it´s about personal issues, there is just no middle ground here as they even talked to a guy like van Gaal. From pure football point of view, from trying to go for the best decision for the club it makes no sense at all having him TOTALLY left out of the finding process.

I really think Rafa should move on, but the questions about the people in charge and their decision still remain and they are important and valid.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:11:46 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1497 on: September 11, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »
Not sure why that has any place in this thread but anyway.... it's fairly clear why they didn't want to even consider Rafa for the job. Sometimes there is just too much water under the bridge and they clearly wanted to start from a fresh slate.

I love the guy, and would of welcomed him back here without a second thought, but I can see pretty clearly their thinking behind not doing so.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #1498 on: September 11, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »
Most of the stories seem to make out that they have paid for a 15% stake, and that they intend to then produce a stadium in partnership with Inter's other owners - not that they are paying for the stadium as well as the monetary investment in exchange for 15%.

No no, 'China' is transforming Inter and Tony Evans is a legend.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline terjemic

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1499 on: August 6, 2013, 11:26:17 am »
Hi all,

I`m meeting John Henry at a reception at the American ambassador`s residence here in Oslo tonight. If I get to talk to him, what should be my question?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1500 on: August 6, 2013, 12:11:08 pm »
Hi all,

I`m meeting John Henry at a reception at the American ambassador`s residence here in Oslo tonight. If I get to talk to him, what should be my question?

"Where is the Ferrero Rocher?"
Better looking than Samie.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #1501 on: August 6, 2013, 01:11:40 pm »
Hi all,

"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
« Last Edit: August 6, 2013, 01:15:19 pm by JerseyKopite »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1502 on: August 6, 2013, 04:26:51 pm »
Hi all,

"What does Linda like for breakfast?"
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1503 on: August 6, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »
Hi all,

What are you doing to help keep Luis Suarez at Anfield?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1504 on: August 6, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »
Did they ever tell you what they are smoking at the Emirates?

And why has he become allergic to Anfield?
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1505 on: August 6, 2013, 04:53:58 pm »
Did they ever tell you what they are smoking at the Emirates?

And why has he become allergic to Anfield?

Typical fair weather OOT fan, only comes to Anfield when were on form!

On a serious note, it's a very valid question. Other then transfer window business, for which it's probably too early to praise or criticise, would good to get some kind of update on the stadium and when a planning application is likely to be made to LCC?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #1506 on: August 6, 2013, 05:26:26 pm »
Hi all,

Did you really meet andyclfc?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1507 on: August 6, 2013, 09:59:43 pm »
Rather than a question, perhaps a request. Stay, develop the club, invest prudently (money for substantial player bids if need be, at the right point in time, but no requirement to throw it around every window), do it well enough to the point of us competing and winning leagues / european cups....his name won't die. Of all the things he's ever done, this could be the one undertaking that keeps him alive, eternally. The opportunity is there. Take it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1508 on: August 6, 2013, 10:15:09 pm »
Hi all,

Ask him if he's seen the ''Old Cold" remix videos on youtube.....

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #1509 on: August 6, 2013, 10:17:04 pm »
Hi all,

Ask him if he can find one of those rich Arabs to buy the club.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1510 on: August 6, 2013, 10:20:13 pm »
Ask him what his RAWK username is ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1511 on: August 6, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1512 on: August 7, 2013, 01:54:17 am »
How fucking big are your balls?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline iamtheeggman

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1513 on: August 10, 2013, 10:42:52 am »
Rather than a question, perhaps a request. Stay, develop the club, invest prudently (money for substantial player bids if need be, at the right point in time, but no requirement to throw it around every window), do it well enough to the point of us competing and winning leagues / european cups....his name won't die. Of all the things he's ever done, this could be the one undertaking that keeps him alive, eternally. The opportunity is there. Take it.

that's brilliant

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1514 on: August 10, 2013, 10:44:10 am »
Ask him what his RAWK username is ;D

:-X

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #1515 on: August 10, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »
Hi all,

How did you get on?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1516 on: August 10, 2013, 01:46:23 pm »
How did you get on?

He's been smoked  :o
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Bostonian

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1517 on: April 27, 2014, 07:20:16 pm »
Hello again, last time I posted, I was telling you that FSG would be an improvement over Gillette/Hicks, but that they didn't know a thing about football, turned the Red Sox to shit, and overspent on Adam, Carroll, etc.

Since then, the Red Sox had a monumental turnaround in fortunes, and you guys are top of the table with two weeks remaining...(I know today was rough)

Since Henry took us over, we've won three titles in 9 years. After none in 86. So despite some of his flaws, we can't have many arguments over here about what he's been able to do for the club.

As for LFC, it seems he got the right man in Rodgers, and you're playing some very attractive football. Defending seems to be your Achilles heel, but you're within a whiff of the title, so things are looking pretty good for you, in general.

I heard they want to expand Anfield now...they did a fantastic job of that at Fenway, so it bodes well for you, IMO.

What is the general consensus of Liverpool supporters of Henry and Werner? What do you think they are getting right and getting wrong?

Good luck the rest of the way, I'd like you to win it, so Henry can spend some of the money on a new pitcher  ;)