Author Topic: PL Spurs 0 v Liverpool 1 ‘36 Bobby  (Read 43192 times)

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
Re: PL Spurs 0 v Liverpool 1 ‘36 Bobby
« Reply #600 on: January 13, 2020, 01:00:13 pm »
That tagana was very aggressive after he got encouragement from goal saving block. He was aggressively trying to intercept passes made to Mane and try to quickly close our attacking players. Had some success against Mane on few occasion. Firmino saw that and just sent him to cleaner's when he tried to do the same in box and then slotted the ball in net. Before goal he turned him in similar manner when receiving pass near their box. That's a smart player reading games/players and using it to his advantage....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:01:56 pm by RedMichelFerri »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #601 on: January 13, 2020, 01:16:52 pm »
That tagana was very aggressive after he got encouragement from goal saving block. He was aggressively trying to intercept passes made to Mane and try to quickly close our attacking players. Had some success against Mane on few occasion. Firmino saw that and just sent him to cleaner's when he tried to do the same in box and then slotted the ball in net. Before goal he turned him in similar manner when receiving pass near their box. That's a smart player reading games/players and using it to his advantage....

Noticed that too. exceptional bobby

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: January 13, 2020, 01:29:33 pm »
Out of all our former players turned pundit, Murphy is the nastiest most clueless prick of them all.

Murphy in a Derby a couple of years spotted a guy with crutches waving them in celebration when Everton scored. He made a comment about the guy not going to be getting his benefits now. To Murphy disabled = benefit scrounger. That illustrates what a small minded entitled prick Murphy is.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: January 13, 2020, 01:44:24 pm »
Son missed that chance because he'd spent the previous 70 minutes or whatever concentrating like mad on holding his position so Trent couldn't get forward as much, and then running himself into the ground trying to burst past our midfield whenever he got the ball.  He was just mentally and physically shot because of Mourinho's demands.

I don't think Trent is given any credit for making the run back and nearly blocking his shot, I'm sure that put him off just enough

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: January 13, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »
Murphy in a Derby a couple of years spotted a guy with crutches waving them in celebration when Everton scored. He made a comment about the guy not going to be getting his benefits now. To Murphy disabled = benefit scrounger. That illustrates what a small minded entitled prick Murphy is.
Murphy really doesn't help himself does he.
I tend to avoid what he and most pundits have to say, but read that he said that Grealish would be a better option than Keita.

All I can say is thank fuck he is nowhere near the decision making process at Liverpool and never likely to be.

The very fact that he thinks he has some exclusive blueprint on how to beat Liverpool that the other coaches and teams of analysts have overlooked is laughable.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #605 on: January 13, 2020, 01:51:12 pm »
Jose was clueless because this Liverpool isn't like the teams he faced in the past that he got joy against, we're an efficient machine and shitshousery won't work against us because we've also got shitshouse players ourselves.
This team is really remarkable! I cannot say that enough and I don't think many can.
As soon as they get out onto the pitch, they're like a unit out in the field - cut off from their general. They pull together - each man for the other and himself and then they work out a way to beat you. It's like Klopp taking to the pitch himself! ;D

He just prepares them beforehand and let 'em loose! Blam! "Do you want a 1-0 or would you like to go toe-to-toe? D'you wanna fight or d'you wanna dance? We can do it anyway you want."

And when they meet up again- in the tradition of Dr. Sobel to Paul Vitti's Consigliere- "Jelly": "D'you want a fresh one!"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:59:50 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:13 pm »

He was also given encouragement when he realized that Atkinson would let him grab and hold with no calls - so he started doing that to Mane regularly. There was a play he "won" a ball and Mane was pissed off and came back to take it away and of course was called for a foul for less contact than he had just received.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #607 on: January 13, 2020, 02:06:50 pm »
Jose was clueless because this Liverpool isn't like the teams he faced in the past that he got joy against, we're an efficient machine and shitshousery won't work against us because we've also got shitshouse players ourselves.

It's the biggest disparity in quality that Mourinho has ever had to manage when playing us. Maybe his last game as United manager was similar.

I'm not Mourinho's biggest fan but to be honest I thought his tactics were what you'd generally expect for most teams when playing Liverpool. Whilst on any given day there are many teams who could beat us, in essence there's only a handful of teams who probably wouldn't change their game plan significantly to try and negate us. Tottenham aren't one of those teams. To be fair probably only City fit into that bracket in the Premier league and would still have a fair chance of beating us.

For Mourinho to set Spurs up to sit deep, deny us space and look to keep the game close up to 75 minutes was a perfectly reasonable tactic. This was always going to be Spurs plan (as it is so many other teams in this league). Look to hit on the counter in the 1st 70 but try to keep it close so they could try and grab something the last 10-15 with options off the bench. The fact that they kept it to 1-0 always gave them a chance. Partly due to our play in the final 3rd but also due to the way they were organised.

Let's get it straight we were deserved winners but Spurs were in the game until the final whistle. Given the disparity in quality between the teams I don't see how you can say they were 'clueless' tactically.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline RedsofAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #608 on: January 13, 2020, 02:08:29 pm »
I tend to avoid what he and most pundits have to say, but read that he said that Grealish would be a better option than Keita.

All I can say is thank fuck he is nowhere near the decision making process at Liverpool and never likely to be.

The very fact that he thinks he has some exclusive blueprint on how to beat Liverpool that the other coaches and teams of analysts have overlooked is laughable.

Murphy scored some big goals but once we stopped playing hoofball he was pretty obsolete. Probably one of the most one dimensional footballers we've ever had until we got Charlie Adam. Basically hates anything with flair or talent on the ball. Thank god those days are behind us.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupι Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #609 on: January 13, 2020, 02:22:27 pm »
It's the biggest disparity in quality that Mourinho has ever had to manage when playing us. Maybe his last game as United manager was similar.

I'm not Mourinho's biggest fan but to be honest I thought his tactics were what you'd generally expect for most teams when playing Liverpool. Whilst on any given day there are many teams who could beat us, in essence there's only a handful of teams who probably wouldn't change their game plan significantly to try and negate us. Tottenham aren't one of those teams. To be fair probably only City fit into that bracket in the Premier league and would still have a fair chance of beating us.

For Mourinho to set Spurs up to sit deep, deny us space and look to keep the game close up to 75 minutes was a perfectly reasonable tactic. This was always going to be Spurs plan (as it is so many other teams in this league). Look to hit on the counter in the 1st 70 but try to keep it close so they could try and grab something the last 10-15 with options off the bench. The fact that they kept it to 1-0 always gave them a chance. Partly due to our play in the final 3rd but also due to the way they were organised.

Let's get it straight we were deserved winners but Spurs were in the game until the final whistle. Given the disparity in quality between the teams I don't see how you can say they were 'clueless' tactically.

And this is exactly how Oleh will set United up. Defend as best they can and then hope Rashford and James can leg it, hopefully get a free kick when they, inevitably, fall over.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #610 on: January 13, 2020, 02:22:56 pm »

Murphy can just about manage a grimace, never mind a football team
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: January 13, 2020, 02:29:07 pm »
This team is really remarkable! I cannot say that enough and I don't think many can.
As soon as they get out onto the pitch, they're like a unit out in the field - cut off from their general. They pull together - each man for the other and himself and then they work out a way to beat you. It's like Klopp taking to the pitch himself! ;D

He just prepares them beforehand and let 'em loose! Blam! "Do you want a 1-0 or would you like to go toe-to-toe? D'you wanna fight or d'you wanna dance? We can do it anyway you want."

And when they meet up again- in the tradition of Dr. Sobel to Paul Vitti's Consigliere- "Jelly": "D'you want a fresh one!"

I wonder if there's a decent analogy to Roger Federer. He probably has the most all-round game the world has ever seen with very few notable weaknesses (not the thread for a Rafa vs Fed debate  ;D). But when he's up against baseline sluggers, he's very happy to slug it out with them and just beat them with greater accuracy or let them run themselves to exhaustion. When he's up against serve and volley players, he mixes it up and plays a more close quarters net game. In most cases, he has an incredible knack for figuring out his opposition and coaching himself on the court.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #612 on: January 13, 2020, 02:32:21 pm »
And this is exactly how Oleh will set United up. Defend as best they can and then hope Rashford and James can leg it, hopefully get a free kick when they, inevitably, fall over.

Agree completely. Plus it's literally what 99% of football mangers would do when faced with playing Liverpool with an inferior squad/team.

It's not clueless to set up this way. It probably offers the best chance of success. Though in fairness it's only really been successful against us once in the league this season (more occasions last season though).

The mark of how good this team currently is, is the way other top teams don't think they can compete against us without frustration tactics. Virtually every teams 'go to' tactic is to try and sucker punch us, either on the break or from a set piece, rather than try to dominate us.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: January 13, 2020, 03:05:44 pm »
What struck me about the match was how flat the commentary was for most of it.  The commentators were well aware of our boa constrictor like ability to strangle the life out of a game and had to grudgingly acknowledge the level of control we showed and how Spurs needed to do better.

They only came alive when Spurs had a chance.

Was the Boa around Tyler's neck?  :wanker
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: January 13, 2020, 03:08:23 pm »
Agree completely. Plus it's literally what 99% of football mangers would do when faced with playing Liverpool with an inferior squad/team.

It's not clueless to set up this way. It probably offers the best chance of success. Though in fairness it's only really been successful against us once in the league this season (more occasions last season though).

The mark of how good this team currently is, is the way other top teams don't think they can compete against us without frustration tactics. Virtually every teams 'go to' tactic is to try and sucker punch us, either on the break or from a set piece, rather than try to dominate us.

Teams also use those tactics against City. With Virgil and Alisson at the back, we are much more difficult to break down -  which is why City's only recognized defender out for a long period is a big loss for them

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #615 on: January 13, 2020, 03:10:15 pm »
Was the Boa around Tyler's neck?  :wanker

I think the lifelessness in the commentary was just Tyler and Neville, can't remember the last time they did a match together and added any kind of excitement to it. They are boring as fuck.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #616 on: January 13, 2020, 03:12:31 pm »

Pundits going on about Mourinhos plan nearly working with them getting late chances, if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight long before those came along.

Loving that we are back to clean-sheet Liverpool.

One thing i was amazed about was Mane being taken off, he looked really dangerous, and Gini (for a change) looked out on his feet such that it led to one of those chances.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:23 pm »
Pundits going on about Mourinhos plan nearly working with them getting late chances, if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight long before those came along.

One thing i was amazed about was Mane being taken off, he looked really dangerous, and Gini (for a change) looked out on his feet such that it led to one of those chances.
The concept of luck is a one way street it seems. Teams are unlucky if they miss chances against us, but rarely is it pointed out how lucky teams are when we miss good chances against them.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #618 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:12 pm »

Yeah they're building the persona around him again. He sells.

We all know though that "almost working" is not the same as "working". The difference in outcome is night and day. That's the nature of tight games and that's how this Liverpool team manage their energy- they do just enough to win a game and they have the confidence that they can defend a lead.
They can beat you convincingly, but choose to manage their game. Because of that, so many THINK that if they could've just done this one thing that they would have won. So many THINK we're lucky... but it's only that we give just enough to win.

Jose ran on that "almost" being beaten and with 1-0 and 2-1 scores for nearly 2 decades. His teams pushing the envelope when they compete and tackle and rarely seeing a red or a yellow. It's just the sign of a smart team that's able to adapt and win.

Now it's our turn!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:45:41 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #619 on: January 13, 2020, 04:35:51 pm »

I do agree with you that it was a deliberate tactic but their execution was terrible (in comparison to many other teams we face) and really aside from a couple of brainfarts they were getting nowhere near our goal, no effective (or even an attempt at effective) possession and at the same time we really should have been 2 or 3 up. Last 20 minutes showed what could happen with some courage but the lack of it in the 1st 70 really sums up Mourinho and I think its worrying times as a spurs supporter (despite almost getting a result against us)  :evil

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #620 on: January 15, 2020, 03:26:43 am »
I can't bear Danny Murphy. Always had digs when Rafa replaced him with alonso, to the point where he came across as a right xenophobic prick.
Indeed he did - made a laughable comment about wanting to play for an English speaking manager when he fucked off t Chartlon. :wanker

Didn't have much time for him by the stage Rafa arrived anyway. Got sick of the sight of the lazy fucker strolling around the pitch.

He was good for a couple of years but never kicked on.

Danny Murphy is full Brexit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/3554300.stm

Murphy takes parting shot

New Charlton signing Danny Murphy has said that Liverpool's large number of foreign signings have damaged the Anfield club's team spirit.

Murphy, who joined Charlton for £2.5m, said the loss of homegrown players like Robbie Fowler had cost Liverpool.

"Liverpool have lost some camaraderie with more English players leaving and other players coming in," said Murphy.

"How do you replace Robbie Fowler? You can't. I wanted to come to a club that was perhaps not so cosmopolitan."

Liverpool replaced former manager Gerard Houllier with Rafael Benitez from Valencia in an effort to bring back the club's glory days.

But Murphy said he preferred to work for an English manager.

"If you are working at a club that has stability it gives you peace of mind, and that is the case at Charlton," added Murphy

"I wanted to work under an English manager who I could have a crystal clear relationship with. Alan Curbishley has the things I look for in a manager.

"As soon as I met the chairman and manager I could see they had a good relationship, which is not all that common.

"It was a huge wrench to leave Liverpool.

"It has always been my club, and I will always support them. But this is a new chapter.

Murphy, who played in the Champions League and the Uefa Cup during his time at Liverpool, has set his sights on helping Charlton into Europe for the first time.

"This club has progressed a lot each time I have played against them," he said.

"They have got better and better, and I am really looking forward to working with Alan. I hope my attributes will make Charlton a better team.

"I know it is a step down from Liverpool but I wanted a different challenge and I think it is achievable for us to get into Europe this year."

The 27-year-old has won nine England caps but missed out on a place in Sven-Goran Eriksson's squad for Euro 2004.

"England was not really a factor in my move - that is secondary at the moment," he said.

"This was a football decision - I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

Murphy moved to Liverpool from Crewe for £3m in July 1997 and made 249 appearances, as well as winning nine England caps, before his Anfield exit.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: January 15, 2020, 04:15:10 am »
That's been crucial this season. You earn your luck but games like Wolves, Watford and Spurs recently where we were under pressure defending a 1-0 lead and they've missed good chances. Chelsea early in the season as well missed sitters, Zaha at the end for Palace, Ings for Southampton.

Overall we've missed more sitters and good chances oursleves in these games and should have put them to bed earlier. Whenever it's only a 1 goal lead it always gets hairy.

As someone pointed out to me, some of these missed chance by the opposition could be down to Alisson. Players know they need a great shot to beat him, so they could be changing their mind where to put the shot or hesitating for a split second.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #622 on: January 15, 2020, 08:29:24 pm »
 :lmao :lmao

Fucking hell I needed that!  ;D

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/qYvE3EibhRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/qYvE3EibhRU</a>
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #623 on: January 15, 2020, 08:36:42 pm »
:lmao

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #624 on: January 15, 2020, 09:46:59 pm »
Yeees... oh shit sorry

:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #625 on: January 16, 2020, 11:39:04 pm »
Just to add to what's been said, I thought our pure footballing performance in that first half - missed opportunities and some final balls excepted I have to say - was as good as most anything I've seen from any side. I felt like I was like watching 1970's Brazil - Gini was our Clodoaldo, Bobby was Tostao, Salah was jairzinho, Mane our Pele, hendo our Gerson and so on. An absolute pleasure and privilege to witness. Pity the second half didn't attain the same heights but maybe we're saving that for another day.

:)