Author Topic: Fortress Anfield  (Read 16759 times)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Our home record in the League - an update
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2020, 05:11:28 pm »
Incredible to be fair. We need to go the rest of this season unbeaten and then halfway though next unbeaten to beat that. Mental. We ended it with that deflected Alonso winner didn’t we?

Might be wrong, but I thought it actually ended a game or two before that (maybe Arsenal took it!?!)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2020, 05:13:18 pm »
Might be wrong, but I thought it actually ended a game or two before that (maybe Arsenal took it!?!)

Pretty sure it was us. Under Scolari.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2020, 05:13:53 pm »

No it was us
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2020, 05:22:08 pm »
My bad!

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2020, 05:45:15 pm »
By my reckoning, since losing 2.1 at home v Palace at the end of the 2016/17 season (23rd April 2017 to be precise) this is our home League record:

P 61  W50  D11  L0   F162  A40

That is pretty impressive. Anyone know what the stats were for that 78-81 unbeaten League home run? (I think Birmingham to Leicester if memory serves.)

P 62  W47  D15  L0   F138  A25

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
Re: Fortress Anfield
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2020, 06:01:55 pm »
Looking at the excellent LFCHistory site I had the following: (yes I do this in my day job and I am a sad statto.)  :wave

Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:50 pm »
63.  I can imagine more than one fan said back in 1981 on that cold January day, "that record will never be equaled, let alone surpassed."

Unbelievable this team.  8)

Comparison link:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/31/as-liverpool-seek-anfield-record-how-do-they-compare-with-paisley-greats

fc
« Last Edit: November 3, 2020, 06:27:59 pm by flyingcod »
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2020, 10:50:18 pm »
64 home league games without defeat. The longest run in the history of this great club.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2020, 11:07:35 pm »
64 home league games without defeat. The longest run in the history of this great club.

Remarkable achievement.

As for the old record of 63 matches I heard during todays game that Ray Clemence played in 62 of those and kept 40 clean-sheets.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2020, 11:20:15 pm »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2020, 11:05:41 pm »
No league losses at Anfield in 2018
No league losses at Anfield in 2019
No league losses at Anfield in 2020

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2020, 11:20:20 pm »
No league losses at Anfield in 2018
No league losses at Anfield in 2019
No league losses at Anfield in 2020

Would have taken that when Scott Dann popped up in 2017!

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
68 Reasons to Smile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:24 pm »
I believe this is the first time I've ever started a topic on this forum, but I feel like this one needs to be separated out from the rest.

68 games unbeaten at home was an astounding feat - nearly four years of dominance at Anfield. 55 wins, if I'm not mistaken, and 13 draws. Maybe with crowds present it could have been more, who knows?

So, thank you to Jurgen and the boys for making us proud over such a long period. If I am blessed with the gift of time at some point, I will go through the highlights on the official site and enjoy the hours of invincibility.

Now let's get another streak going, pronto!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: 68 Reasons to Smile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2021, 02:15:44 am »
I didn't think we could ever beat our previous record set from the late 70s to the early 80s. It was already ridiculous then. 68 games without defeat was unbelievable. When we find our feet again we'll show everyone again why it's the most horrible ground to play at in the world.

That said, I still won't feel like we've properly lost it until someone does it with 55000 fans in the ground. Every away team has had a massive advantage playing inside an empty Anfield

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2021, 09:11:35 am »
It's the understatement of the century that we're missing our home support and who knows when full stadiums will even return?

Things have got to a point where we almost need to try anything and I've wondered why no team across football - or any sport for that matter - has experimented with large speaker setups that blast out the noise of home supporters?  Sure it's not real life singing and screaming fans, but surely a loud rendition of YNWA at different intervals or a variety of other notable songs being pumped through a concert speaker type setup would give the lads a lift?!  You could have this piping through for the whole 90 minutes.  It might be a bit ridiculous, but quite frankly I couldn't give a sh!t at the moment.  Cost would be pretty minimal as well.

To give a degree of science based thinking to this idea, I was reading an interesting psychological study out of the US that looked at the impact of no fans on sporting teams.  From memory the study interviewed a variety of US sports players and Bundesliga players over the last 12 months for their thoughts on how no fans in stadiums was affecting their performance.  Effectively the conclusion they came to was that it all came down to perception of one's surrounds.  The more it felt like a home game and not a neutral venue, the more benefit players at home were able to obtain.  If hearing familiar sounds can help stir the right emotions, increase energy levels and improve performance 1-2%, then the club really should look at doing something like this. 

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2022, 03:48:40 pm »
I didn't think we could ever beat our previous record set from the late 70s to the early 80s. It was already ridiculous then. 68 games without defeat was unbelievable. When we find our feet again we'll show everyone again why it's the most horrible ground to play at in the world.

That said, I still won't feel like we've properly lost it until someone does it with 55000 fans in the ground. Every away team has had a massive advantage playing inside an empty Anfield

Yet another league campaign undefeated at Anfield. 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 and 2021/22 have all been without home league defeats under Klopp.

As far as I know there probably wasn't many clubs if any from the top 5 divisions who didn't suffer a home defeat in the league this season.

The current record is 23 straight league matches without defeat since losing to Fulham on 7/3/2021. That match bookended six straight defeats, the worst run we'd ever had at Anfield when considering successive league defeats, which followed 68 league matches without defeat, our greatest ever run.

I said it at the time, but I won't properly consider that run over until we're beaten in front of a full house. 23/4/2017 was the last home defeat we suffered in front of fans. Since that day, in front of a fully packed Anfield, we've gone on a run of (I think) 64 league games without defeat. What a run. That doesn't count the 4 games played with a partial crowd, either, none of which we lost.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 03:50:45 pm by disgraced cake »

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2022, 04:44:10 pm »
It’s absolutely nuts what happened last season isn’t it. Such a long unbeaten run, lose it to Burnley of all the shite sides and then lose 6 in a row in an absolute funk, snap out of it, get some players back, get fans back and go on what by anyone else’s standards is another record breaking run. Need to do two more full seasons and then the first three of 24/25 to beat the last record!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »
It’s absolutely nuts what happened last season isn’t it. Such a long unbeaten run, lose it to Burnley of all the shite sides and then lose 6 in a row in an absolute funk, snap out of it, get some players back, get fans back and go on what by anyone else’s standards is another record breaking run. Need to do two more full seasons and then the first three of 24/25 to beat the last record!

Aye, last season was just fucking nuts all round. We were actually unlucky to lose to Burnley as I think they got a dodgy penalty but it had felt for a while that we were probably gonna lose one. It was a strange, grim run and I struggle to see an entire season going forward where we lose 6 home league games throughout. If you told me we'd lose less than 6 in the next four years under Klopp I wouldn't be surprised  ;D

30 home games in all comps this season, only lost one and even that turned out to be relatively insignificant. Conceded 21 but scored 74 (I think I counted correctly  :D)

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Online Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2022, 08:49:47 pm »
Last season doesn't count for me. Anfield is special but we make it special. Empty Anfield is a nice building with history but it's not the thing that makes the difference. In the same mould, United's unbeaten "away" record last season is irrelevant as well, they didn't play a real away game of note. No fans meant we all played a load of games over the park with different coloured seats around us.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2022, 01:06:15 pm »
Need to do two more full seasons and then the first three of 24/25 to beat the last record!

Our record was mental when you put it like that! :o
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."