Author Topic: THE 2022 EUROPEAN CUP FINAL - Liverpool v Real Madrid, Paris SAT 28 MAY 8PM  (Read 72132 times)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Karim Benzema:

"Liverpool have a lot of confidence. Maybe they think they already won the game, maybe they think this isn't the same Real Madrid as before, that they're favorites. Salah can say whatever he wants."

Via: @MovistarFutbol
Salah makes a comment in jest and Real are using it to create a siege mentality.

Bloody whoppers.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Karim Benzema:

"Liverpool have a lot of confidence. Maybe they think they already won the game, maybe they think this isn't the same Real Madrid as before, that they're favorites. Salah can say whatever he wants."

Oh give it a rest Karen lad
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Yes it can mate. My fear is how much left in the tank we've got left.  Not much i fear. One last push from the lads and hopefully we win #7.

We've had to be mentally and physically switched on since start of April give or take.  Anther worry is we seem to be conceding the first goal more in matches lately. How many more times can we go to the "Recovery" well?

Agree. I think up until Villareal away, we had only been behind for something like 69 minutes in 2022. We've gone behind a number of times recently and come back, but as another poster has suggested, on most occasions you can account for this.

I actually think our struggles will come in the latter part of the game. Madrid have looked overpowered by PSG, Chelsea and Abu Dhabi so far this season, only to summon the strength from the substitutes bench to come back from the dead. If we come out of the traps like we can we should lead, but this one certainly won't be over until that final whistle goes.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Karim Benzema:

Was saying this earlier - he's trying the Michael Jordan 'find something to take offence to' thing. Try your centre half criminally assaulting Mo Salah for size you bell end.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
For me, we need to contain Modric.  I know he's a bit older, but he ran rings around our midfield in the last final and I didn't recall anyone winning the ball off of him. If we can do that, then I'm ok with letting our defenders handle Benzema & Vinicius together.  However, give Modric time and space on the ball and he can hurt us.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
For me, we need to contain Modric.  I know he's a bit older, but he ran rings around our midfield in the last final and I didn't recall anyone winning the ball off of him. If we can do that, then I'm ok with letting our defenders handle Benzema & Vinicius together.  However, give Modric time and space on the ball and he can hurt us.

In my opinion that is the key thing that we need to do. Stop their midfield and especially Modric, who is still an excellent player who coasts around the pitch.
The other problem, as said above, is to contain their subs when they come on as they have changed a couple of matches recently. Thiago, if he is out, will be a big loss for us and that will make the final a lot more even than I'd like. Mane could play a blinder and if he does then he can be unstoppable.

I hope that we can get 3 up and then manage the game out to the end.
#JFT97

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On a sidenote does anyone know which former players/managers get tickets from the clubs' own corporate allocation? Is there a pecking order?

Obviously the likes of Rush and Barnes will be there but does Stevie G get an invite too? Or Rafa?
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

We just need to steamroller the fuck out of them all over the park. That Benzema quote - if I'm certain members of our squad and I see that, I'm out to humiliate these c*nts.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The way Mo's been talking these past weeks he better have an all timer Champions League final.  ;D

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
I think this is a game that we need to be leading at half time…..as we have tired quite a bit in recent games, perhaps the only game we had energy in the second half was the much changed Soton game.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
I think this is a game that we need to be leading at half time…..as we have tired quite a bit in recent games, perhaps the only game we had energy in the second half was the much changed Soton game.

We have had our eye on this game for 3 weeks though and not had a free midweek for quite some time. One last push.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

but we get 5 subs to help combat that fatigue.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
Klopp pretty much played a new 11 vs Southampton

The team have had the right balance between rest and competitive games to be going into that match

Only question marks remain on Fabinho and Thiagos ability to be fit for the game (think Fabinho should be ok)

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
We do have 5 subs….but in the past we brought on Hendo, Keita, Diaz to change the game.

I think these 3 will start.

Shame Origi is out

Jota will be key and possibly Bobby.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
Anyway….I can’t wait for the game. Full strength and we win, even for, behind.

Just hope Fab and Thiago only play if fully fit.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
Karim Benzema:

No problem with this at all

I enjoy opposition players not understanding this club and its ethos, players, manager and fanbase before big games. It's funny to see that even questioned when it comes to us and Klopp :lmao

Essentially all Salah has said is that he wants to beat them unlike last time

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
*after Salah went off.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
*after Salah went off.

We were pretty much all over them pre Salah injury, it was only a matter of time before we scored

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
Salah makes a comment in jest and Real are using it to create a siege mentality.

Bloody whoppers.

Didn't Klopp say that Real Madrid were favourites?  Everyones trying to control the narrative.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
The way Mo's been talking these past weeks he better have an all timer Champions League final.  ;D

I really hope he doesn't think he needs to win it by himself and taking shots galore. Best way he can get revenge is to end up lofting the trophy at the end of the night

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I really hope he doesn't think he needs to win it by himself and taking shots galore. Best way he can get revenge is to end up lofting the trophy at the end of the night

Oh I agree mate. Just that the way he's talking I expect a hattrick on the night.  :D

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
I have been thinking for a few days now...that perhaps we should start Diaz on the bench, just incase we need to find another gear to reach late in the game. we can't really get this from Firmino/jota

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Please don't be crazy. Luis Diaz is a must from the beginning.

Starting forward lineup should be:

Diaz  Mane  Salah

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
The more the Madrid fans and Media push this narrative of "Real Madrid dont Lose Finals" the more I care about this 10x more than The League

Ill be honest I thought I care more about the league and was gutted we lost it, especially when Villa were ahead. But my god do I want to shut these Pundits and Fans up, some of them are so cock and confident its a forgone conclusion

I want to end their run of winning CL finals and get our revenge

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
What's your first recollection of us in a CL (or European Cup) final?

2005. Conceding in the opening minutes.

What was your favourite final?

2019. I had watched the previous finals at home alone and although 2005 was a better final, the euphoric experience of watching the final in 2019 among other supporters trumped 2005. And my old man supports Spurs.

What was your lowest point?

Seeing Mo in tears and Karius' errors in 2018 were painful moments, as was Inzaghi doubling Milan's advantage in Athens. But ironically, my lowest moment was at half time in 2005 at 3-0 down. Kewell off injured as well, we've never been in a more adverse position in a European Cup final.

What goal gave you most satisfaction?

Divock Origi sealing the deal. Without question.

Have you even been to a live CL final?

No.

What are your plans for watching this one?

Going to watch it with the same group as last time.

What players from the RM side do you think we need to keep quiet?

Vinicius Jnr and Modric.

Who has been the most exciting player of our team so far this season?

The addition of Luis Diaz has made us better at keeping the ball in the final third. I think his introduction has helped bring out the best in Thiago in the second half of the season. Sadio has also flourished in the central role since Diaz arrived.

What tactics do you think Klopp will use?

No idea. But I think Trent vs Vinicius Jnr will be a huge matchup. Whoever wins that battle may decide the game.

Team predictions?

It largely depends on who is available. I think Van Dijk, Fab & Mo will start. Probably not Thiago. Assuming this, I think Matip starts over Konate. If I had to guess, Fab-Hendo-Keita midfield. Usual front three.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:29:09 am by Another Red »

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
Are they at full strength, does anybody know?

If I'm not mistaken Alaba is the only player they have out at the moment but he is due to return before the final so should be at full strength.

I see they have started their mind games already. As if a reminder was needed as to why I hate the c*nts so much. Cannot stand this entitled club. Hope we trash them.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
A bit shocked at how many pundits are predicting Real Madrid to win the final - seems like an overwhelming majority.

Most use the justification of destiny of Real and the tiredness that our players will be feeling after such a long season.

Maybe this is a good thing?

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
It feels like the general vibe in here is very nervous and slightly pessimistic which surprises me. No Thiago would be a blow but I think we're still the better team. This Madrid side know how to win things but they haven't been overly convincing (again). Far from a sure thing but I'd have thought our boys have earnt some confidence from us.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
It feels like the general vibe in here is very nervous and slightly pessimistic which surprises me. No Thiago would be a blow but I think we're still the better team. This Madrid side know how to win things but they haven't been overly convincing (again). Far from a sure thing but I'd have thought our boys have earnt some confidence from us.

I think this good and exactly what I want to see from our fanbase.  We shouldn't be going into this game overconfident in our chances despite being the better side.  Being a little on edge and a little nervous is exactly where we want to be particularly against a team as dangerous as Real Madrid that has consistently proven they are never out of it.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Please don't be crazy. Luis Diaz is a must from the beginning.

Starting forward lineup should be:

Diaz  Mane  Salah

But you play Bobby you have a 4th midfielder and can control Modric better. Also means Diaz comes on against tired legs
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Red Being

• Anny Roader
We are going to smash them, aren't we? Like, even if we pull off an 80% of our best performances this season, they haven't got a chance, have they? Yes, they overcame Chelsea and City but I think both are cases were Real really weren't better - they fought hard, Benzema was clinical as hell and were helped by both oppositions royally screwing up at important times and some luck. I can't see us doing the same. God, my over confidence is giving me anxiety.

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
I think we ll dominate early exchanges . Vital that we take our chances (unlike the FA cup final). I am only going to be comfortable if we’re 2 up. In the last 20-25 camavinga will come on and inject athleticism . Our midfield will consist of Keita and hendo who are often withdrawn before the 90 and a possibly not a fully fit Fabinho . I can see someone like Jones having an important part later on .

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's all about midfield for me. The reason this Madrid team continue to be competitive is because they've kept that trio of Casemiro, Modric, Kroos together for so long. Lots of experience. Still lots of quality. I desperately hope Fabinho and Thiago are able to play.

Alisson; Trent, Matip, Virgil, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago; Salah, Mane, Diaz.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
We are going to smash them, aren't we? Like, even if we pull off an 80% of our best performances this season, they haven't got a chance, have they? Yes, they overcame Chelsea and City but I think both are cases were Real really weren't better - they fought hard, Benzema was clinical as hell and were helped by both oppositions royally screwing up at important times and some luck. I can't see us doing the same. God, my over confidence is giving me anxiety.

You're in for a surprise.

This is going to be close.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
Blimey! Just read that the ref's name is Turpin .

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
It’s a cup final; we’ve played 63 games of which we’ve played what has felt like about 20 in the space of 8 weeks or whatever, and the team are on for a treble, this isn’t going to be easy. I think some of the lads are coming into this half baked just by virtue of sheer number of games played up to this point and also with the added extra about each of the last few months having that slim possibility of getting a league title.

On the other hand Real Madrid have domestically wrapped things up in their usual way and as such they’ve been able to rotate were necessary quite recently however their previous CL outings this year they have been hit hard by previous opponents and have required efforts insurmountable in order to overturn deficits.

I think we know how they are going to set up come Saturday, in fact I’m surprised they’ve not announced their line up already and we should know what to expect and thus know what it will take to hurt them. However it’s a cup final and like all our previous cup finals we do make hard work for ourselves.

Hopefully we bury away our chances but we don’t approach the game like we did v Wolves as that approach will see us getting picked off massively, and the interesting battle will be our Trent v Vinicius Jr whom you bet Real will look to exploit that gap if we don’t cover when Trent goes up field.

Anyway hope for a normal win in 90 but am half expecting a slog to extra time but let’s enjoy it and bring home number 7!!!

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
The more the Madrid fans and Media push this narrative of "Real Madrid dont Lose Finals" the more I care about this 10x more than The League

Ill be honest I thought I care more about the league and was gutted we lost it, especially when Villa were ahead. But my god do I want to shut these Pundits and Fans up, some of them are so cock and confident its a forgone conclusion

I want to end their run of winning CL finals and get our revenge

My Barca-supporting mates are all convinced we will lose (although obviously hopeful we will win). "Ah yes, but it´s Real Madrid!!". Spanish Media is infested with this idea of Real Madrid destiny and royalty in the European Cup. I realise that for all the arrogance instilled in Barcelona, their fans still run scared of Real Madrid.

I expect I will be sharing my plane over with a lot of Madrid fans (surprising number of them here in Barcelona). I expect they will be cocky, and they will be arrogant.

I am still full of confidence. Can´t wait for it. We are a simply better team then Real Madrid. The finest Liverpool team I´ve ever witnessed. One of the finest teams I´ve ever witnessed.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Happy Istanbul day everyone!

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
And funnily enough, despite feeling more confident about our chances against the arrogant gets in 2018, and despite the worrying injuries, I fancy our chances. Probably because they reckon it's in the bag already with their number 14 t-shirt parade in the semi, and the other whopper shite that they're writing in their daft newspapers. "Real don't lose finals?". Tell them Barney!