Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 523513 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Mapip!
« Reply #4480 on: May 23, 2022, 01:14:18 am »
he was determined to get that second goal today  ;D  :wellin :scarf

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4481 on: May 23, 2022, 02:02:26 am »
One of the players of the season Matip has been. There couldn't have been many better.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4482 on: May 23, 2022, 02:07:50 am »
Starts in Madrid - at least in my opinion.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4483 on: May 23, 2022, 04:06:24 am »
I agree. It's important to be able to play it out against Madrid.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4484 on: May 23, 2022, 04:35:57 am »
He should start in the CL final.
Believer

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4485 on: May 23, 2022, 05:46:48 am »
The back four is a calmer place with Joel in it. That is not to be disrespectful to Konate who has always looked the real deal, has improved considerably this season and looks like he could be with us for a decade but Joel is in the form of his life and those dribbling runs bring an extra dimension to our game.
He deserves to be in the first Xl next Saturday.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #4486 on: May 23, 2022, 07:14:03 am »
Absolutely. Konate as good as he is, can lose his head like he did yesterday. Matip and Virgil are our best pairing and I hope it is the starting pair on Saturday.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4487 on: May 23, 2022, 07:56:08 am »
I expect Konate to play solely because of the pace of Vinicius

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4488 on: May 23, 2022, 11:55:47 am »
I expect Konate to play solely because of the pace of Vinicius

I keep hearing this. It seems a bit rubbish to me.

Vinicius is a threat but there are several things that will stop him - things that are more important than the slight margin in pace between Konate and Matip. First and foremost is defending high and cutting off the supply to Vinicius. This is primarily a job for our attack and midfield. The second is a high line from our defence, with no raggedness in it. Matip is superb at maintaining this (along with Virg). The third is a command performance from Trent Alexander-Arnold. He needs to be on the front foot attacking and thereby forcing Vinicius backwards towards his own half of the field. He needs to be canny in defence and understand when to reinforce the right side of the field and support his centre backs.

Let's face it. If we are simply relying on an individual's speed to neutralise Vinicius it wouldn't be Konate or Matip at centre back. It would be Joe Gomez.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4489 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:25 pm »
Also, it's so conservative for the stronger team to weaken themselves with what they can do on the ball, just because you're wary of one player. Yes, you might gain a little bit of pace with Konate, but you lose the ability of Matip to move the ball forward like pretty much no other centreback around can.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4490 on: May 23, 2022, 12:35:43 pm »
Also, it's so conservative for the stronger team to weaken themselves with what they can do on the ball, just because you're wary of one player. Yes, you might gain a little bit of pace with Konate, but you lose the ability of Matip to move the ball forward like pretty much no other centreback around can.

Correct. And this might be especially important if Thiago doesn't make it. We'll need all the help we can get to break lines from the back.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4491 on: May 23, 2022, 12:38:34 pm »
Beautiful dilemma to have, both tremendous players.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4492 on: May 23, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »

Vinicius is a threat but there are several things that will stop him - things that are more important than the slight margin in pace between Konate and Matip. First and foremost is defending high and cutting off the supply to Vinicius. This is primarily a job for our attack and midfield. The second is a high line from our defence, with no raggedness in it. Matip is superb at maintaining this (along with Virg). The third is a command performance from Trent Alexander-Arnold. He needs to be on the front foot attacking and thereby forcing Vinicius backwards towards his own half of the field. He needs to be canny in defence and understand when to reinforce the right side of the field and support his centre backs.

Let's face it. If we are simply relying on an individual's speed to neutralise Vinicius it wouldn't be Konate or Matip at centre back. It would be Joe Gomez.

It's also a very very very big occasion - one that Matip already played in and won. I wouldn't discount that either.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4493 on: May 23, 2022, 12:49:13 pm »
Has to start the final

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4494 on: May 23, 2022, 12:57:18 pm »
It's been some season from Konate, 28 games I think with zero defeats, and as far as I remember the only one of those he didn't start and complete was the League Cup final where he played extra time. That being said Matip has been around the block a few times and has been our best defender this season for me. I'd start him alongside Virgil. I actually expect him to go with Konate given he's played 5 of the 6 knockout matches, though.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #4495 on: May 23, 2022, 03:44:37 pm »
Has played as a 6 in the past has Joel, just throwing it out there.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4496 on: May 23, 2022, 06:00:24 pm »
Konate started the FA Cup final. Consequently I reckon Matip is nailed on to start the Champions League final.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4497 on: May 23, 2022, 06:35:44 pm »

I'd add that Matip is a better passer, the best of our CBs IMO (not that Konate is bad). Matip is excellent at passing into the feet of our attackers behind the opposition midfield. This is really important when we get pressured. When we face a low line, his forward runs are also a real threat. Matip is a player that relies heavily on a great vision.

The main argument for Konate is not pace, which is overrated like you say, but strength on set pieces.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4498 on: May 23, 2022, 06:39:55 pm »
Beautiful dilemma to have, both tremendous players.
absolutely.  regardless of who starts at CB we'll have a fabulous back 4.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4499 on: May 23, 2022, 08:25:39 pm »
Not seen it mentioned but contender for player of the season

Insanely good season

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4500 on: May 23, 2022, 08:27:46 pm »
I'd add that Matip is a better passer, the best of our CBs IMO (not that Konate is bad). Matip is excellent at passing into the feet of our attackers behind the opposition midfield. This is really important when we get pressured. When we face a low line, his forward runs are also a real threat. Matip is a player that relies heavily on a great vision.

The main argument for Konate is not pace, which is overrated like you say, but strength on set pieces.

I agree with all of that. I especially love Liverpool corners when I know Konate is lurking.

But, still, Matip is the one who gets most goals!

Liverpool spend most of the time with the ball. Unlike Kyiv I believe we'll have more of the ball than Real in the final. The danger is sterile possession , as always. Konate, as you say, is a very good passer, and decent on the move, but Matip is sensational. That's why he'll start.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #4501 on: May 23, 2022, 10:31:30 pm »
Matip has been phenomenal this season, and seems to be peaking at the right time for the final. His runs and passing from the back, the straight daggers that he plays straight through the midfield could prove to be useful against Real. Should start in my opinion.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4502 on: May 24, 2022, 01:28:27 am »
I just now cottoned on to the play he made to set up Mo for the winning goal, i was lost in the euphoria at the time and never watched it back until now, but corner he rises fires a bullet header that may have crossed the line but play on. the ball loops back, he leaps again looking second choice at first and directs another really great header directly to Mo who knocks it in.

So he gets my vote for Paris on that alone.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #4503 on: September 2, 2022, 07:26:52 am »
It seems that Matip is close to being ready to start. Do you think he will get the place this weekend, or is that too early?

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4504 on: September 2, 2022, 07:33:15 am »
Too early. Gomez is doing well. No reason to change it.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4505 on: September 2, 2022, 07:58:02 am »
He's the best passer out from the back of our CBs, and maybe that's exactly what we need now. Not that Gomez has been bad, but Matip is much better at finding solutions in buildup.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4506 on: September 2, 2022, 08:26:29 am »
I think he'll be back in the team soon, but maybe after Everton. Gomez is good at defending large areas with his pace and so could be a good choice to deal with Gordon/Gray, Matip is much better defending close to goal and filling gaps so I think he'll start the CL games and the two will rotate for a bit unless injury strikes again.

Once Matip is back up to speed I think I'd prefer him in the league games though, he's just the better all round player.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4507 on: September 2, 2022, 08:33:20 am »
Does the title say “MaPip” for a reason?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Kop Kings

• Kopite
« Reply #4508 on: September 2, 2022, 09:45:54 am »
Does the title say “MaPip” for a reason?

It was from a game last season, I think a pundit (maybe an ex-ref?) was referring to him as 'Joel Mapip' for the entire game

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4509 on: September 2, 2022, 12:37:35 pm »
Out of respect for our great Joël, his name should surely be spelt correctly now, that joke is long gone  :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4510 on: September 2, 2022, 12:58:02 pm »
It seems that Matip is close to being ready to start. Do you think he will get the place this weekend, or is that too early?

The last thing we want to do is take an injury.prone player returning from injury and start him against fucking Everton.  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4511 on: September 7, 2022, 10:12:56 pm »
glad he is back.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4512 on: September 8, 2022, 02:35:44 pm »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4513 on: September 9, 2022, 12:31:31 am »
glad he is back.
Brought some composure at the back when he came in. We need that calmness right now.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4514 on: September 9, 2022, 06:40:59 pm »
Brought some composure at the back when he came in. We need that calmness right now.

And his bringing the ball out from the back and picking a pass, all adds to confidence as it improves our attack

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4515 on: September 9, 2022, 06:42:09 pm »
one guy we should think about extending - even for a few years.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4516 on: September 9, 2022, 06:47:35 pm »
one guy we should think about extending - even for a few years.

We shouldnt, not yet anyway.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4517 on: September 9, 2022, 07:45:47 pm »
Brilliant, brilliant player, I have seen all the centre-half's going back to Yeats and he would actually get in my all-time team and for me is better than VVD. I must see the game different to some on here when they were saying Gomez was playing well. Matip has the ability to bring the ball forward while Gomez seems to stop and then pass it side-ways again.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #4518 on: September 9, 2022, 08:18:03 pm »
Brilliant, brilliant player, I have seen all the centre-half's going back to Yeats and he would actually get in my all-time team and for me is better than VVD. I must see the game different to some on here when they were saying Gomez was playing well. Matip has the ability to bring the ball forward while Gomez seems to stop and then pass it side-ways again.
Yet he somehow seems to continually be underrated. I always feel better when he plays as he rarely seems to make a mistake. He isn't perfect but he is as good a defender as there is in the league when fully fit. It is no coincidence that we nearly won the lot the very season he stayed fit with 43 appearances, by far the most he has had for us and the most since the 2011/12 season. Such a grave pity he gets injured so often  :(

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4519 on: September 9, 2022, 08:33:29 pm »

Totally agree
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "