Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 312199 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2480 on: December 1, 2020, 04:39:51 pm »
Exactly what they were hoping to avoid with a controlled dismantling/demolition. :(

I expect Scott will release a follow up video soon.  It's a crying shame because no other telescope in the world could do what it did.  The next most powerful radar telescope is barely half as powerful.

Plus how do you kill off Sean Bean in Goldeneye now? :P

For England James

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2481 on: December 1, 2020, 05:49:43 pm »
I wonder what they'll do with the site.  You'd hope, from a scientific point of view, they could rebuild something similar, preferably with upgrades.  Probably going to cost a bomb though.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2482 on: December 1, 2020, 07:00:57 pm »
I wonder what they'll do with the site.  You'd hope, from a scientific point of view, they could rebuild something similar, preferably with upgrades.  Probably going to cost a bomb though.

Scott Manley covered this.  The Puerto Rican government basically left it to rot.  The necessary upgrades and replacements of cables should really have taken place in the 90s.  More than once it was under the threat of closure altogether because of funding cuts.  I doubt very much there will be a replacement.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2483 on: December 1, 2020, 08:01:36 pm »
And here we are.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vchDbyIRP44" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vchDbyIRP44</a>

This image from Wikipedia.  Just linking as the image is not classed as publicly available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory#/media/File:Arecibo_dish_remains_after_collapse.jpg

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2484 on: December 1, 2020, 08:07:26 pm »
Bit of Brasso and that'll be sound, don't know what the fuss is about.

:(
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2485 on: December 3, 2020, 11:52:08 pm »
SN8 launching at 9pm et.

Will it explode on the pad? 

Or will it glide graceful until it lands like a thunderbird.  Could be sensational and a landmark in Spaceflight
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2486 on: December 4, 2020, 12:07:17 am »
SN8 launching at 9pm et.

Will it explode on the pad? 

Or will it glide graceful until it lands like a thunderbird.  Could be sensational and a landmark in Spaceflight
Is it now? Ive got this site that says 3 days plus:
https://spacelaunchnow.me/launch/starship-sn8-15-km-flight/
 But there is a live cam showing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5l9ZxsG9M&feature=emb_logo

I'm confused...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2487 on: December 4, 2020, 06:55:15 am »
Is it now? Ive got this site that says 3 days plus:
https://spacelaunchnow.me/launch/starship-sn8-15-km-flight/
 But there is a live cam showing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5l9ZxsG9M&feature=emb_logo

I'm confused...
Yeah.. misinformation!  I nearly got up really early for that.... pah...

It’s seem to have been rescheduled for Monday seem sir will be 12.5km rather than 15km.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2020, 07:03:14 am by T₂O Little Town Of Bethlehem »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2488 on: December 4, 2020, 12:10:56 pm »
And here we are.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vchDbyIRP44" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vchDbyIRP44</a>

This image from Wikipedia.  Just linking as the image is not classed as publicly available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory#/media/File:Arecibo_dish_remains_after_collapse.jpg
Footage of the collapse of the main receiver instruments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-55181448
My Twitter

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: December 4, 2020, 08:27:05 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55192692

China has planted its flag on the Moon, more than 50 years after the US first planted the Stars and Stripes there.

The pictures from China's National Space Administration show the five-starred Red Flag holding still on the windless lunar surface.

They were taken by a camera on the Chang'e-5 space probe before it left the Moon with rock samples on Thursday.

Two previous Chinese lunar missions had flags on the crafts' coatings - so neither could be affixed to the moon.

The US planted the first flag on the Moon during the manned Apollo 11 mission in 1969. Five further US flags were planted on the lunar surface during subsequent missions up until 1972.

In 2012 Nasa cited satellite images as showing that five of the flags were still standing, but experts quoted in media reports say they are likely to have been bleached white by the sun's glare.

The first flag was said by astronaut Buzz Aldrin to have been placed too close to the Apollo lunar module and was, he said, probably blown away when the module blasted off.

The state-run Global Times newspaper said the Chinese flag was a reminder of the "excitement and inspiration" felt during the US Apollo missions.

The fabric flag was unfurled by the Chang'e-5 lander vehicle just before its ascender vehicle took off using the lander as a launchpad.

It has taken soil and rock samples to China's lunar orbiter 15km (nine miles) above the lunar surface - which will then be enclosed in a module that will be aimed at China's Inner Mongolia region.

The Chinese flag is 2m wide and 90cm tall and weighs about a kilogram. All parts of the flag have been given features such as protection against cold temperatures, project leader Li Yunfeng told the Global Times.

"An ordinary national flag on Earth would not survive the severe lunar environment," project developer Cheng Chang said.

China's national flag was seen on the Moon during its first lunar landing mission, Chang'e-3 in photographs taken by the lander and rover of each other. The Chang'e-4 lander and rover brought the flag to the dark side of the moon in 2019.

However, in both cases the flag was on the crafts' coating rather than being an actual fabric flag on a pole.

The Chang'e-5 mission is China's third successful landing on the Moon in seven years.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2490 on: December 4, 2020, 08:30:27 pm »
Footage of the collapse of the main receiver instruments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-55181448

Scott with the breakdown of the - er - breakdown.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/59WQIRvezzI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/59WQIRvezzI</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: December 6, 2020, 02:54:54 am »
A success for JAXA - Hayabusa2 has returned an asteroid sample to Earth:
https://www.dw.com/en/hayabusa2-japanese-probe-returns-asteroid-sample-to-earth/a-55835499

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2492 on: December 8, 2020, 12:06:41 pm »
Saw a great documentary about the Cassini-Huygens probes on Amazon Prime (Free to watch)

Really interesting and a fascinataing look into the technology and the brilliant abilities of those involved.

I am mesmorised by how they can construct such things. I'm not the thickest person on Earth (Honest :P ) but I just can't conceive the sheer brilliance that you have to possess to be involved in missions and ventures like this.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2493 on: December 8, 2020, 05:09:31 pm »
Saw a great documentary about the Cassini-Huygens probes on Amazon Prime (Free to watch)

Really interesting and a fascinataing look into the technology and the brilliant abilities of those involved.

I am mesmorised by how they can construct such things. I'm not the thickest person on Earth (Honest :P ) but I just can't conceive the sheer brilliance that you have to possess to be involved in missions and ventures like this.

Nothing like Cassini-Huygens had ever been done before, nor has anything close been attempted since.  It was 22 feet long and 13 feet wide - that's as big as a decent sized motor home.  By Comparison, New Horizons was less than 9 feet long along its longest axis.

There was talk of sending it off to explore Uranus or Neptune when its Saturn mission was drawing to a close - such a trip would have taken 20 or 40 years respectively.  I don't know how long the RTG might have been expected to last but it was still pumping out a fair amount of power after 20 years.  Hell, one of its spares was used in New Horizons. (Presumably there were several devices networked together for Cassini, whereas NH would have used a single device).

It's unlikely we'll see anything so remotely ambitious for the foreseeable future, but it's the kind of probe you will need for long duration study of the outer planets.  If you want to explore the likes of Uranus or Neptune, you need something that's going to be able to function for a sufficient period of the planet's orbit in order to see changes over time. Probably 40 years' minimum.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2494 on: December 8, 2020, 06:14:37 pm »
SN8 supposed to be launching some time today....

W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2495 on: December 8, 2020, 07:25:56 pm »
SN8 supposed to be launching some time today....

What's the bellyflop manoeuvre ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: December 8, 2020, 07:48:58 pm »

What's the bellyflop manoeuvre ?
Well, let’s wait and see....

Could be fun! 
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2497 on: December 8, 2020, 08:01:39 pm »
Well, let’s wait and see....

Could be fun!

So it isn't an advanced sex position ?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2498 on: December 8, 2020, 10:19:50 pm »
Going for launch at half past

I am watching the biggest nerd fest ever
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2499 on: December 8, 2020, 10:32:27 pm »
Going for launch at half past

I am watching the biggest nerd fest ever

The NASA space flight youtube guys ?

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #2500 on: December 8, 2020, 10:36:27 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Disappointing

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: December 8, 2020, 10:37:08 pm »
Gutted,had these fuckers on in the background for hours & now the Rocket has aborted with 1 second to go.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2502 on: December 8, 2020, 10:38:05 pm »
T minus 1.3 seconds!!!

Ach

Tomorrow maybe
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2503 on: December 8, 2020, 10:40:11 pm »
Raptor abort, standing down for the day.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2504 on: December 9, 2020, 02:38:16 pm »
Trying again today I think
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2505 on: December 9, 2020, 08:56:25 pm »
8 minutes until bang
W

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2506 on: December 9, 2020, 08:57:05 pm »
IS there a stream?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2507 on: December 9, 2020, 08:58:03 pm »
I’m on nasaspaceflight on YouTube..

Just nerds really ;D
W

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2508 on: December 9, 2020, 09:01:17 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2509 on: December 9, 2020, 09:02:57 pm »
Oh dear ...

Doesn’t look good.. a delay
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2510 on: December 9, 2020, 09:10:06 pm »
Seems that an aircraft took off from an airfield close by causing them to stop the count

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2511 on: December 9, 2020, 09:23:14 pm »
Trying again in 17 minutes

Sorry... one hour 17
« Last Edit: December 9, 2020, 09:28:19 pm by T₂O Little Town Of Bethlehem »
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2512 on: December 9, 2020, 09:24:29 pm »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2513 on: December 9, 2020, 10:25:48 pm »
Still scheduled for 20 mins

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2514 on: December 9, 2020, 10:40:30 pm »
T-5 minutes

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2515 on: December 9, 2020, 10:41:35 pm »
It's happening.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2516 on: December 9, 2020, 10:53:00 pm »
That. Was. Incredible!! So close to landing it as well!!!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2517 on: December 9, 2020, 10:55:52 pm »
Amazing.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2518 on: December 9, 2020, 10:55:53 pm »
That. Was. Incredible!! So close to landing it as well!!!

It really was!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2519 on: December 9, 2020, 10:57:15 pm »
It was in the middle of the landing pad as well, it just came in too quickly! Amazing, can't wait for SN9!