Author Topic: AFL thread: games, results, discussion  (Read 443330 times)

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
Re: AFL thread: games, results, discussion
« Reply #6280 on: October 1, 2016, 02:49:51 pm »
2016 AFL Grand Final

Western Bulldogs 13.11 (89)
Sydney Swans     10.7  (67)

Norm Smith Medal: Jason Johannisen (Western Bulldogs)

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6281 on: November 4, 2016, 10:48:06 am »
Jobe, is that you?

Essendon will come back stronger, but I reckon their ceiling is lower than you think. Weren't exactly a powerhouse before the bans, the year out of the game could really hurt the players, and the opposition will be more focused (I'm thinking of that GWS game where the Giants were doing warm-up drills for 3 quarters before realising they could get humiliated and subsequently running away with it in the last). I'm thinking around 12th-14th spot for next year, though off-season moves could change the outlook.

Absolutely disagree.

We are bringing back 10 of the banned guys - Jobe is a Brownlow medallist (for the moment), Heppell is a gun midfielder and will be our captain, Hurley and Hooker are AA defenders (who can also play up forward if needed). Add in our first choice ruck Bellchambers along with solid midfielders Stanton, Myers, Hocking, Howlett and Colyer and we are adding both high end talent with extra midfield depth. As for the players being rusty after a year out, I would actually argue the other way - they have all had a year to clear their heads from the psychological damage, clear up any niggling physical problems they may have, and will be absolutely fired up to come back and get back into footy after being banned for a year.

On top of getting 10 proven AFL player in the 24-29 yo bracket, we are also well stocked with young talent, especially those who have more experience at this stage than they would otherwise. Zach Merrett should have been AA this year; Darcy Parish had a great debut season, Fantasia already looks like he has the knack of kicking goals as a small forward, AMT has been a great find as as small defender or forward, Joey Daniher is still only 22 and is on the way to being a dominant forward, all he needs is for his kicking to improve (please god let this actually happen). Throw in the top up players who have performed well (Kelly, Dea) and some of the other senior players not mentioned above (Zaharakis, Goddard) and all of a sudden our list actually looks pretty convincing.

Oh and of course we have Woosha who has completely lifted the mood and got the guys playing with passion and spirit all last year even when we were massive underdogs pretty much every game, and things are looking rosier than you make out.

In reference to your point - yes before the ban we werent doing so well, I think a large part of that was down to all the rumblings and the uncertainty of what was going to happen. Now thats over I think it will make a massive psychological difference to the entire footy club.

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6282 on: March 22, 2017, 07:44:39 am »
Here we go again...

Purchased a membership for this year (Melbourne Demons :) ) based on last seasons performances.

As for this seasons winner, I think the Swans have one more season in them.

Quite looking forward to it, however by Saturday evening I'll probably wishing I spent my money on something else.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6283 on: March 23, 2017, 02:27:24 am »
Buzzing for Saturday night against the Hawks. Living in Liverpool last year prevented me from following much football so I have no idea what to expect this year but it's been 18 months since I've been to a game so I'm looking forward to being back at a full MCG for a big game. Bring it on!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #6284 on: March 23, 2017, 05:33:17 am »
Is there a RAWK tipping comp? I was in one a few years back, no idea if it's still a thing.

Saints to make the 8 this year.

West Coast or Swannies for the Flag.

Lions for the spoon.
We are Liverpool!

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6285 on: March 23, 2017, 06:35:20 am »
Is there a RAWK tipping comp? I was in one a few years back, no idea if it's still a thing.

Lions for the spoon.
No tipping comp. has been organized.
If others up for starting from Round 2 next week, I will be in it.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6286 on: March 23, 2017, 07:00:32 am »
AFL 2017 Premiership Odds

GWS Giants  $4
Sydney      $6.50
Western Bulldogs  $6.50
West Coast Eagles  $9
Geelong   $11
Hawthorn  $11
Adelaide  $13
Melbourne  $21
St. Kilda  $21
Fremantle  $26
Collingwood  $34
Essendon   $34
Port Adelaide  $41
Gold Coast  $51
Richmond   $51
North Melbourne  $81
Carlton  $201
Brisbane  $401

(Courtesy: Ladbrokes)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:07:52 am by RedmeisterOZ »

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6287 on: April 1, 2017, 12:22:57 am »
Bump. Any interest in AFL this year? I watched the last quarter of Bulldogs-Swans last night, still feels like a totally different sport to the one I watch when Carlton is playing. Still hoping we'll be competitive in 2022. Maybe another flag before I die (I'm 40 this year).

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6288 on: April 2, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
If Ross Lyon could get his team to finish with negative points he would.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6289 on: April 2, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »
If Ross Lyon could get his team to finish with negative points he would.
If Freo played any wider they would have had to attack from the car park. ;)
Played like rabbits in the headlights today.
I'm sure pepe_carra_stevie_nando is penning his rant right now. :wave

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6290 on: April 5, 2017, 12:36:39 pm »
Bump. Any interest in AFL this year? I watched the last quarter of Bulldogs-Swans last night, still feels like a totally different sport to the one I watch when Carlton is playing. Still hoping we'll be competitive in 2022. Maybe another flag before I die (I'm 40 this year).
Interested in the Bombers (I still go every week) and the big games (such as Dogs v Swans last week) but that's about it. Used to live and breathe AFL until the ASADA saga and then living in England kind of killed my interest a lot. I just hate how political it is with all the off field stuff compared to football in England. Atleast in England they actually talk about the on field tactics and the like on MNF and post match, whereas all it seems in AFL is who can they sack next or whose going to switch clubs.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6291 on: April 5, 2017, 04:49:36 pm »
Interested in the Bombers (I still go every week) and the big games (such as Dogs v Swans last week) but that's about it. Used to live and breathe AFL until the ASADA saga and then living in England kind of killed my interest a lot. I just hate how political it is with all the off field stuff compared to football in England. Atleast in England they actually talk about the on field tactics and the like on MNF and post match, whereas all it seems in AFL is who can they sack next or whose going to switch clubs.

I know what you mean, I've taken a massive step back in terms of how much AFL content I consume this season. I used to watch most of the chat shows and watch/listen to at least 3 games every round but all the shit going on off field the last few years seems to have drained me of my enthusiasm for it all. AFL's more of a brand to market, protect and grow financially than a game nowadays.
Even the way the game evolves is artificial, rules designed to make the product look as aesthetically pleasing as possible, instead of entrusting the evolution of the game to the players and coaches.

I'll keep an eye on the Swans and read what's going on in the paper, but that's about it.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6292 on: April 6, 2017, 12:56:15 am »
Yes, apparently we are basketball fans now and need a constant barrage of goals to keep us interested. Not sure exactly what the 10-metre rule and other new laws exactly mean, but there have been some big numbers in the papers so hip-hip-hooray I guess.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6293 on: April 6, 2017, 08:34:16 am »
I dunno. The sons of the west getting up last year kinda rekindled my interest for this season. I mean, my Roos are kinda vanilla but I'm interest.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2017, 08:36:03 am by nicholasanthony »

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6294 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:45 am »
Oh my, nice meeting you on the way down, Swannies! My 9-year-old niece is a big Swans fan who used to call me every week after Carlton lost (i.e. every week) and gloat, until her father made her stop. Maybe I should... yes, I know I'm almost 40, but man... I really want to...

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6296 on: May 8, 2017, 05:04:08 pm »
Well I knew our decent start couldn't last, but that fucking last one-and-a-half quarters was absolutely dire for the Bombers. :(
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6297 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:00 am »
I dunno. The sons of the west getting up last year kinda rekindled my interest for this season. I mean, my Roos are kinda vanilla but I'm interest.

Can we have Chris Scott back coaching us again this week? Noble of him to go save Brad's career but Id like him back for the remainder of the season.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6298 on: June 19, 2017, 11:12:07 pm »

I know what you mean, I've taken a massive step back in terms of how much AFL content I consume this season. I used to watch most of the chat shows and watch/listen to at least 3 games every round but all the shit going on off field the last few years seems to have drained me of my enthusiasm for it all. AFL's more of a brand to market, protect and grow financially than a game nowadays.
Even the way the game evolves is artificial, rules designed to make the product look as aesthetically pleasing as possible, instead of entrusting the evolution of the game to the players and coaches.

I'll keep an eye on the Swans and read what's going on in the paper, but that's about it.

What about now guys? Been a great season so far!
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6299 on: June 23, 2017, 07:07:51 pm »
1 point.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6300 on: June 24, 2017, 05:32:37 am »
essenlol

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6301 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:26 pm »
essenlol
Aren't you a Blues fan?! :P
My Twitter

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6302 on: August 27, 2017, 04:52:33 pm »
Week 1 AFL Finals Series

Thursday, September 7

First qualifying final
Adelaide Crows v Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval, 7.20pm ACST

Friday, September 8

Second qualifying final
Geelong Cats v Richmond at the MCG, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, September 9

Second elimination final

Sydney Swans v Essendon at SCG, 4.20pm AEST

First elimination final
Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval, 7.20pm ACST

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6303 on: August 29, 2017, 03:56:57 am »
How could the AFL be so stupid as to schedule their pre-finals break on an international weekend? And with Fathers Day too! This is a cruel, cruel joke...

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #6304 on: August 29, 2017, 04:31:11 am »

Lions for the spoon.

Still think Swans will win this year *

* - clearly not after round 6 mind you
We are Liverpool!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6305 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:54 am »
Think Geelong are looking really good. For a two man team, they seem to really have all the pieces.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6306 on: September 10, 2017, 01:41:21 am »
In extra time, in an Elimination Final.
Luke Shuey delivers. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MYC6sl8ZwTM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MYC6sl8ZwTM</a>

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6307 on: September 10, 2017, 10:32:16 am »
Yep, classic piece of cheating by one of the game's best.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6308 on: September 14, 2017, 07:05:02 am »
Week 2 - Semi Finals:

Friday, September 15

Geelong Cats v Sydney Swans

MCG
7:50PM    

Saturday, September 16

GWS Giants v West Coast Eagles

Spotless Stadium
7:25PM

*Local times.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6309 on: September 18, 2017, 09:00:26 am »
Week 3 - Preliminary Finals

Friday, September 22

Adelaide Crows v Geelong Cats

Adelaide Oval
7:20PM    

Saturday, September 23

Richmond
v GWS Giants

MCG
4:45PM    

*Local times 

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6310 on: September 24, 2017, 02:31:31 am »
2017 AFL Grand Final
Sat. 30 Sept.

Adelaide v Richmond

MCG

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6311 on: September 24, 2017, 02:33:17 am »
   Winner?
   Margin? (pts)
   Norm Smith medallist?

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6312 on: September 24, 2017, 03:55:42 am »
Adelaide by 40; one of the Rorys... let's say Laird.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6313 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:52 pm »
Adelaide by 31.
Norm Smith: Eddie Betts
My Twitter

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6314 on: September 30, 2017, 03:05:51 am »
Adelaide
23pts
Jacobs

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6315 on: September 30, 2017, 04:50:23 am »
Richmond, 13, Dusty...
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6316 on: September 30, 2017, 04:52:39 am »
Not many pundits going for the Tigers...

think it'll be a close game...
Obi-Wan:

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6317 on: September 30, 2017, 07:49:13 am »
Looks like it wasn't close after all :)
Obi-Wan:

Offline Beneath

• Anny Roader
  • Believe
« Reply #6318 on: September 30, 2017, 08:23:29 am »
Been a while, but that was a bit alright.
I saw the devil in his eyes, and I shit me undercrackers

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6319 on: September 30, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »
2017 AFL Grand Final
Sat. 30 Sept.
MCG

Adelaide  8.12 (60) Richmond 16.12 (108)

Norm Smith Medallist: Dustin Martin